PDA

View Full Version : Stupid tire shops! They don't stock what I need!

Speedwagon
Sun May 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Bah! Trying to find a replacement for my Firehawk SZ50EPs, and every place I call, they have to order some summer tires in my size. I say "summer tire" and they usually spit back "all season" at me. If I wanted an AS, I'd ask for one!

Do the stores out here just not carry summers at all for the most part? I would think with the amount of people that run snow tires out here, there would be a higher demand for summers as well.

Tipys
Sun May 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Well whats funny is in the front range you really dont need snows here in CO unless your in the mountians. But that is beside the point. I work and do tires I have never heard of a summer only tire. Now I have seen some AS that aren't worth a damn in anything that is a little wet. Also have you tried Discount Tire? If not don't call them go down and talk to the Senior Asstian manger and they should be able to find what your looking for.

Speedwagon
Sun May 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Well whats funny is in the front range you really dont need snows here in CO unless your in the mountians. But that is beside the point. I work and do tires I have never heard of a summer only tire. Now I have seen some AS that aren't worth a damn in anything that is a little wet. Also have you tried Discount Tire? If not don't call them go down and talk to the Senior Asstian manger and they should be able to find what your looking for.

Yea, but the whole point in living here is to be able to go into the mountains!

And you've never heard of a summer tire? I don't have a response for that. :shocked:

I did call a Discount tire, again, they'd have to order, and the first response was to give me an all season.

Tipys
Sun May 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Ya but I see the people that have snow tires and all wheel drive that say they need it to get to work. Ya your really dont in this town or even Denver. Ya well most people use AS as "summer tires." Which is why you won't find anybody stocking them. However I am almost certain that is an AS that someone stocks that is near the same as this Summer Tire.

Gregger
Sun May 10th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Don't use Firestone!!!!

They scratched 3 out of 4 of my BBS wheels while dismounting my D3's and remounting my RE92's.. Needless to say a quick beatdown got the wheels fixed.

Try saying... performance tires... Or just tell them specifically what you're looking for. Summer doesn't mean anything.

Riverdog
Mon May 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Try the dealership. I go between summer and winter tires on my MS3 and the dealer has actually had the best prices and they had them in stock.
Good luck

Yea, but the whole point in living here is to be able to go into the mountains!

And you've never heard of a summer tire? I don't have a response for that. :shocked:

I did call a Discount tire, again, they'd have to order, and the first response was to give me an all season.

Riverdog
Mon May 11th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Summer tires is just a dealership term for the performance tires that come on the car and they are basically useless on anything but a dry road.

Don't use Firestone!!!!

They scratched 3 out of 4 of my BBS wheels while dismounting my D3's and remounting my RE92's.. Needless to say a quick beatdown got the wheels fixed.

Try saying... performance tires... Or just tell them specifically what you're looking for. Summer doesn't mean anything.

asp_125
Mon May 11th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Tire shops only stock what sells. Usually that means generic replacement tires for generic vehicles. If you want something out of the ordinary then you have to know what brand and model to special order. No such thing as a "summer" tire anymore, the alternative term is dry weather performance tire, and then most shops will tell you "oh but you need a tire with traction in the rain".

Speedwagon
Mon May 11th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Tire shops only stock what sells. Usually that means generic replacement tires for generic vehicles. If you want something out of the ordinary then you have to know what brand and model to special order. No such thing as a "summer" tire anymore, the alternative term is dry weather performance tire, and then most shops will tell you "oh but you need a tire with traction in the rain".

Not according to the tirerack. They use the term summer for quite a few categories. And I didn't have a problem finding such tires back east... it only seems to be out here they don't understand, and don't stock. And summer tires do just fine in the rain... as in, my SZ50EPs are absolutely fantastic rain or shine.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon May 11th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Um, sorry, I'm not buying the "no such thing as a summer tire" thing. A lot of the high-end sports car/performance car tires are "summer" tires. The BFG's I had on my '89 Civic SI were DEFINATELY summer tires. The didn't have any sipes in them for snow, the tread pattern was totally wrong for snow though it worked well in the rain, and the rubber compound that held up so well in the SoCal desert heat turned way too hard even in the dry when it got cold. So, yes, there are summer tires.:)

Matt
Tue May 12th, 2009, 06:55 AM
After 15+ years of using discount tire here in Colorado Springs, we've switched to Rex Tire. We've bought 4 sets of tires from them over the last 5 years and have absolutely no complaints. The same people have owned the store for 50 years and they know tires.

http://www.rextire.com

They also have a store in Denver. The one time they didn't have my tire in stock (205/50-16), they had it sent down from their Denver store the next day.

REX Tire & Custom Wheel
4650 Steele St
Denver, CO 80216
(719) 632-3472