PDA

View Full Version : Any Kayak peeps?

BigE
Sun May 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Looking for some advice on getting my wife a kayak. She just wants to do lakes and calm water, no running the rapids type stuff.
Any advice for a land-lubbing two-wheeled crazed hubbie?

Bueller
Sun May 10th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Why a kayak? Does she want to do rolls?
Canoe would require less gear and could carry 2

I would just get an inflatable.

GixxerCarrie
Sun May 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
pm Christian Cowboy...Hes been doing it for years...and is on several forums.

wankel7
Mon May 11th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I have a flatwater kayak I dragged here from Texas. I have been here two years and took it out once. But it was still fun. I am probably going to head up to Dillon with it this summer.

It was much more fun in Texas considering how there is so much more water there.

I could not survive in the kayak with out an mp3 player.

Try to buy it used. They are so expensive new.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Mon May 11th, 2009, 06:45 AM
craigslist, look for sit-on-top kayaks. the FRENZY is a good boat.
Lots of fun and people dont feel like they are trapped in them.
Duckies are a blast too but less maneuverrable on flat water, but can go down easy rivers.
Several places have open water days, Boulder Outdoor center, Dick's Sporting good, and Larson's, just go and see when the are and try out several boats.
Sorry, sold 9 kayaks last year and would have let you try anyone of them out.
Highcountyriverrafters.org is an good club to join too if you get a duckie.

dm_gsxr
Mon May 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
We made our own when we were kids and went out into San Francisco Bay.

A canoe is fun but there is some coordination involved. A kayak might be better for a single person screwing around :)

Carl

asp_125
Mon May 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
For paddling around a lake, sit-on-tops offer a relaxed way to goof off without feeling you're wearing a boat. Buy used. I make the mistake of buying new, they depreciate so fast. Watertight storage compartments and bungee straps for holding gear.. a big plus.

Sean
Mon May 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I know Bodhizafa is really big into kayaking, but I don't think he checks the boards to often. I'll try and give him a call tonight for ya.

BigE
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys.
She has a friend who she has gone kayaking with a few times. They just do lakes, no river stuff (yet, anyway). For whatever reason, she doesn't like the sit on top boats so those are out.
I've been checking CL and then sending links to her friend, who is giving me some advice too but she sends me links to $500+ kayaks and I need something in the under$200 range.
Can y'all give me some names of boats? I was looking at a Perception Dancer but found reviews saying it was a whitewater boat and not good for lakes????

asp_125
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
White water boats generally have flat bottoms and are short/squat. Sea kayaks are long and narrow for slicing through waves. In the middle are lake/recreation boats; they are shorter and wider than sea kayaks, and have flatter bottoms more like white water boats. Something like this: http://www.rei.com/product/785528

Casper
Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I have a Sevylor K1 inflatable for paddling around on lakes and such. I went with an inflatable because I had a small car and a studio apartment at the time, and had no trouble at all picking it up and moving it myself. They're much lighter than most cheap hardshells I've handled and extremely easy to store and transport. If you might like to go that route, let me know and I could provide mine for a test drive if you like.

Edit: I should also add the inflatable's duffel is compact enough (though barely) I can bungee it to the back of my bike.

bodhizafa
Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I know Bodhizafa is really big into kayaking, but I don't think he checks the boards to often. I'll try and give him a call tonight for ya.

Don't do any flatwater stuff though. Really can't help. If you get into whiterwater kayaking let me know.:)

Riverdog
Mon May 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I would go down to REI look at whats available and then search for those modles on CL. They sell plenty of flat water boats. I am into running rivers and the parks so not much help on lake boats but I believe one brand is old town. As mentioned earlier buy used as most of these boats are like exercise equiptment; they get used a few times and then start taking up room in the garage. You may want to look at mountainbuzz.com and see if there is anything listed in the forsale section. Mostly white water boats but there might be something for you.
Good luck

Thanks guys.
She has a friend who she has gone kayaking with a few times. They just do lakes, no river stuff (yet, anyway). For whatever reason, she doesn't like the sit on top boats so those are out.
I've been checking CL and then sending links to her friend, who is giving me some advice too but she sends me links to $500+ kayaks and I need something in the under$200 range.
Can y'all give me some names of boats? I was looking at a Perception Dancer but found reviews saying it was a whitewater boat and not good for lakes????