PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Pads

Sean
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM
What do most people use? I have good street/track pads and lines on the front, but I hardly ever use the rear brakes. Should I go for some "run of the mill" pads (cheap) or is it worth getting some good pads for as well? Pros/cons? :dunno:

Thanks y'all :up:

Sully
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
nah, you don't really need rear brakes.... just drag your feet :D

I just call Jim @ TFOG :) lol

Sean
Mon May 11th, 2009, 10:50 AM
nah, you don't really need rear brakes.... just drag your feet :DI would, but my flip flops come off so easily. :slappers:

I think it's something I can do myself, it doesn't seem too hard. I just didn't want to be cheap if I shouldn't. It's like buying the crappy Q tips. It seems like a good idea at the store, but then you get home to use them and they suck. Now you're stuck with a ginormus box o crappy q tips. But with brake pads :)

MetaLord 9
Mon May 11th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Keep the brake pad outta your ears Sean... :no:

TFOGGuys
Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Put a set of EBC HHs in the rear...improved power if you ever need 'em, and should last until the dinosaurs take over again...

~Barn~
Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
+1 for EBC HH's both front and back, in addition to steel-braided lines, if you don't already have them.

The feel and feedback that you get over stock, is a pretty worthwhile investment.

Sean
Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Put a set of EBC HHs in the rear...improved power if you ever need 'em, and should last until the dinosaurs take over again...:up: thanks for the tip Jim. You da bomb. (plus I'll probably be calling once I fuck it up beyond recognition :banghead:)

in addition to steel-braided lines, if you don't already have them.
...really :think: I don't even use the back brakes, I would think braided lines would only be helpfully trail braking on the track (which still freaks me out :shocked:)? Do you think they are worth it on the street?

(btw Barn, we gotta meet up soon if that stuff is still available?)

~Barn~
Mon May 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah man, I still have it all setup for you still, chillin' at home.

And RE: the brake thing.... While any sort rear brake upgrade/tuning, is probably unnecessary for most rider purposes, it is kinda neat to feel the rear-brake actually "working" underfoot. When I put the stainless line on my rear, I'll admit is was 95% for the look. But when I actually rode the bike after doing it, it was something else, feeling the brake apply and release it's force while I was using it. Prior to the upgrade, yeah, I would feel the bike slow and there would be a noticeable "squat" right up until the point of "lock", but it was vague at best, if not unpredictable.

With the SS line and the HH pads, I could actually feel the range-of-braking that was happening. And once you dialed in your senses to it all, I could actually use the back brake more effectively, w/out just locking it up, and dragging ass into a big downshift corner. Granted it was more at the track, than ever on the street, but it ended up being a valuable riding upgrade to know how far I could go, before I locked the rear-wheel, and not just aesthetic.