PDA

View Full Version : '92 Honda Performance prob's

Kaneda
Sat Jul 5th, 2003, 12:58 AM
My brother is having some performance problems w/his '92 Honda CBR 600 F2. The bike only has 9K miles and doesn't run at full power until you almost run out of gas (right before you have to switch to the reserve tank) then it seems to have full power for a short period. I own the same make and model bike and notice a huge difference in the over all performance between our bikes. Anybody ever have a similar problem or familiar with this at all?

Thanks!

Dysco
Sat Jul 5th, 2003, 10:11 AM
How long has this been happening? Have you pulled the tank and drained it completely, checking for water/gunk in the gas? Is the fuel hose kinked/smashed? Carbs working ok?

Kaneda
Sun Jul 6th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Since the summer of '01 is when the performance prob's started. Bike sat for about 2 years before that. The summer of '01, my bro took the bike into Sun Honda where they did a tune up and fuel flush. That was the first time he noticed the bike running like stated in previous post.

The bike sat again from '01 to this past June of '03...where we then drained the tank, changed the plugs, and all the fluids. That got the bike running again, we've run about 2 gallons of pump gas and another 2 gallons of 105 octane race gas (from a friends suggestion)...bike still runs like crap! :x

Fuel lines look good (not kinked or smashed), carb's are getting fuel and seem to be operating correctly, still not getting good performance.
Any :idea: 's ???

Anonymous
Sun Jul 6th, 2003, 10:53 AM
You mentioned that the problem goes away when you switch it to reserve. What happens if you have a full tank of gas and just leave it on reserve?

yakuza
Sun Jul 6th, 2003, 11:27 AM
I think you might be on to something there, Ralph. Perhaps the petcock seal is decayed and gunked up, or a vent isn't working correctly?

Anonymous
Sun Jul 6th, 2003, 07:11 PM
I think you might be on to something there, Ralph. Perhaps the petcock seal is decayed and gunked up, or a vent isn't working correctly?

Yep, that's where I was going with it. I figure that is the only thing changing and fixes the issue; that's an 11 year old fuel system, and it could probably stand to be replaced (fuel lines and petcock, gaskets, etc) by this point.