PDA

View Full Version : Might end up in Idaho Falls, Idaho...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon May 11th, 2009, 06:39 PM
.....for a while at least. The job market totally sucks, but I have a line on a decent temp position up there that is supposed to last at least 2mo, might go to 6mo, and if they have need and really need me, might even go for a couple years as a contractor. Working for a contractor for the DOE up at the nuclear facility.

We'll see. I should know about the background security check in a few days, and if so, I'l be up there Monday. I hate being out of work.:banghead::scream1:

Best of luck to all those others out there and their families that are out of work. My x-wife in Cleveland might be out of a job soon too. God, I hope not.:(

I'm thinking of taking the bike too, any interesting riding up there? any interesting ANYTHING up there?

Nick_Ninja
Mon May 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM
http://myweb.cableone.net/grumbler/lolo/

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon May 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM
http://myweb.cableone.net/grumbler/lolo/
Niiice! Gonna come up there and do that with me?:)

kawasakirob
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Nice, you'll be able to jam at Sun Valley.

Nick_Ninja
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM
July 29 through Aug 2, 2009

http://www.soundrider.com/SBNW/registration.htm

Gregger
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Idaho Falls is a fairly cool town. You'll like it.

gtn
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:59 PM
What are you going to be doing at INL?

Jim_Vess
Mon May 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I was stationed up there in 1981. I was at one of the Navy prototype reactors for about six months.

Like Greeger said, Idaho Falls is a pretty cool town. There's nice riding around there too. However, the winters suck if you don't like snow.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue May 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty sure that former Mile High Madness Prez. Anthony Heer is up in Idaho :lol:

Nick_Ninja
Tue May 12th, 2009, 09:21 AM
You might want to read this:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Nick_Ninja/IdahoFalls.jpg

Squisha
Tue May 12th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I used to live in Kooskia, about 45 minutes northeast of Grangeville, along Hwy 13--it's where 12 meets 13. We used to do the 70-mile trip to Lewiston/Clarkston regularly, as it was the nearest place to go dancing. (At least the kind of dancing where you weren't kicking straw around!) Highway 12 follows the Clearwater River and there's lots of twisties! 'Course most of the roads up that way are pretty windey. I definitely prefer the northern part of the state...it's actually quite beautiful.

Nick_Ninja
Tue May 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Lolo Pass (HWY 12) FTMFW!!!!

Squisha
Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Useless triva:

The Native Americans pronounce Kooskia koo-SKY-uh

The local white invaders say KOO-skee.

I had a buddy who lived on Lolo pass back in the day...her husband drove a snowplow for the state DOT. It was a VERY lonely place in the winter. Heavy snow, no one comes around, even if they could. Guess that's why the kooks like it up there.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 13th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Well, looking like it's going to happen, so far so good. Not sure the length of assignment yet, but if it goes long enough for something good here to open up that'd be awesome. Barring that, if it goes long enough to qualify for unemployment that'd be good too as I haven't recieved a dime yet, and don't know that I will as Woodward will try and screw me on it.

It will suck not being to see my little 2 yr.-old (Carina) here much:(:cry: besides never seeing my other kids, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes, especially in our New Depression, and I'm glad to just get the work. Hopefully there'll even be OT.

If nothing else, it's fairly easy access to Jackson Hole etc. so I'm taking the bike up.:)

CurtisRR
Thu May 14th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Hey Frank that temp job is better than nothing and some new riding to check out. Good Luck! Should be a beautiful area.

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu May 14th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Good luck and keep us up to date Frank!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Hey Frank that temp job is better than nothing and some new riding to check out. Good Luck! Should be a beautiful area.
Yeah, exactly. Gonna miss little Carina terribly, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do,

I plan on doing Jackson Hole, and some other areas, and will post up some pics.

Hope all is well with you down in AZ bro.:)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat May 16th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Well, gotta finish packing, and I'm outta here. I'll try and post as I can. This is gonna be weird. I'll be up there sleeping on an air mattress with just my clothes, bare essentials, and M/C, renting a room. Times are tough, and ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Best of luck to all the other unemployed/underemployed/nearly homeless out there.:)

CurtisRR
Sun May 17th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Well, gotta finish packing, and I'm outta here. I'll try and post as I can. This is gonna be weird. I'll be up there sleeping on an air mattress with just my clothes, bare essentials, and M/C, renting a room. Times are tough, and ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Best of luck to all the other unemployed/underemployed/nearly homeless out there.:)

Sorry I missed you. I left a message at Jeff's around 11:30 I think. Good Luck and keep us posted and I'll try to do the same.

When you get back to CO if you and Steve still want to head down to AZ look me up.

Cheers!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue May 26th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Update 2009-05-26:

Got here last Sunday (15th) and the place (rented room in a house) I thought would work for me was a total dismal dive. Found a nice hotel room, and looked at 2 more places……both total dives. I was so stressed and depressed I almost just packed up and went home. Didn’t sleep at all, felt horrible the next day (first day of work). Then, luckily for me, the guy I am cubicle-mates with was staying in a hotel at $1,400/mo and wanted something cheaper, so I went and looked at a few places (almost impossible to get month-2-month rentals) that were kinda dismal, before finding a pretty nice 2br, 1-1/2ba basement apt that’s in a decent neighborhood for $600, so that’s way better. Sleeping on an air mattress (had to buy a new one as the last one went flat in the middle of the night) with just clothes, and now my bike and gear here. No TV, ‘net, or real friends yet, nothing to do but work, and go home and try and sleep. Dunno how long the job’s going to last, hopefully longer than 2 months, perhaps the 6mo that will qualify me for unemployment at least. Hopefully, it’ll be until I can find work back there. If it turns perm here, I’ll have to take it, until I can get back there someday.

I miss my friends, the riding, the area, and most of all, my little Carina (22mo). I drove (636 mi each way) back home this 4-day weekend (for me) and got to see her on Sunday, as Saturday unfortunately I had to build a chock to get my bike in the back of the truck to take back to a storage shed I rented here. We had a great visit, she’s such a little doll. I love her so much but am so concerned for her future, and that of my other kids as well. Things were bad before, but I never knew life could be such a difficult struggle until I lost my job with the support burdens for my 3 kids, and basically being one step from homeless and truckless when what little money I’d had saved runs out (if the job doesn’t last). It’s good to be making money again in these hard economic times, and I’m happy to be working, but it’s really tough when you don’t know if you or your kids will even have a future.:(

The country on the way varies from beautiful, to amazingly backwards and desolate (Wy), but Jackson is less than 2hrs from here, and I plan on a few trip there. I’ll try and post pics at some point.

Best of luck to all others without jobs here and elsewhere.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Went for a day trip to Jackson WY with a guy from work and his friend. It was a pretty nice ride.....until a Sherriff gave me a $172 "performance award" coming home......:banghead::scream1: NOT what I needed. Oh well, guess that's for all the times I weaseled my way out of one. The scenery was great in some areas. didn't have time to go into the parks, but maybe next time. Glad we left when we did though, as we JUST missed a major storm coming back. Seems the rain is kinda unpredictable here. Also, Jackson is a TOTAL tourist trap now, everything's $$$$. We went to the Cowboy Saloon, and it was pretty nice inside. All the bar stools were saddles.

Job will probably last until the end of July, hope I can find something after that. HOPE me X in Cleveland doesn't lose her job. Stressing totally about that, but helpless to do anything.

Best of luck to all the others here and in the world with no steady job. It's a bitch.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Still here. Getting some extra work (straight time, not time-1/2 unfortunately, but I'll take it). Probably (hopefully) be here until the end of July as estimated. The guy up here might be able to get me some work at their large Denver office, so here's hoping. Regardless, when I get back I'll be looking for just a room to rent, so if anyone knows.

Found a couple cool people here, including this younger guy I rode with. Total noob on a '07 gixxer 1k (!!), but he's cool. Has a rocking home theater we watched the MotoGP race on.

On a more somber note, my last grandfather passed very early Monday morning at 94 years old. He was a great man. Godspeed grandpa!:cry:

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear about yer GP Frank. Be safe up there.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear about yer GP Frank. Be safe up there.
Thanks man. He was awesome.

Got a 4-day weekend after working 12's. so if the weather is FINALLY nice here, I'll do some riding. Care to do Lolo pass? :)

P.S. Hope all's well with you and the family and Lorraine is doing better.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks man. He was awesome.

Got a 4-day weekend after working 12's. so if the weather is FINALLY nice here, I'll do some riding. Care to do Lolo pass? :)

Can't this weekend. Leaving for Texas on Thursday --- back Monday.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Can't this weekend. Leaving for Texas on Thursday --- back Monday.

Well, best of luck with your trip, and I hope y'all get all packed up and back safe.

...and I just KNOW how much you'll enjoy Texas......say hi to 'Dubya for me, wouldya? :)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Well, best of luck with your trip, and I hope y'all get all packed up and back safe.

...and I just KNOW how much you'll enjoy Texas......say hi to 'Dubya for me, wouldya? :)

I consider this a humanitarian mission.

honey
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. What kind of job and salary are you looking for?

dirkterrell
Wed Jun 17th, 2009, 07:47 AM
On a more somber note, my last grandfather passed very early Monday morning at 94 years old. He was a great man. Godspeed grandpa!:cry:

Sorry to hear that, man. I lost mine some time back. It was tough watching my father break down at his funeral. It'll be good to see you again when you get back in town.

Dirk

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. What kind of job and salary are you looking for?
Thanks, it's been kinda rough.

I'm a professional Man-Ho.......:)

Actually, I do Mechanical and Industrial Design. Anything from IM plastics and die-castings for the commercial industry (Moen, Dirt Devil, Decatur radar guns) to Aerospace machinings for NASA and the defense. Right now I'm working for the DOE at the nuclear clean-up in I'mDaHo Falls, ID. Looking to get back to CO ASAP though. I got a good bite on a resume for a job down in Littleton, and there's one I think I'd be a great fit for in Boulder, so I'm hoping as this job might last thru the end of July, but I'd rather be home. Should I send you a resume? If so, PM me.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Sorry to hear that, man. I lost mine some time back. It was tough watching my father break down at his funeral. It'll be good to see you again when you get back in town.

Dirk
Thanks man. I feel all the worse as I'd not talked to him in a long time as he's in CT. I sent him a disk of my little Carina-doll's pics, and unfortunately I don't think he got to see them as he doesn't have a PC and his second wife is a b!tch. Unfortunately she outlived him, but we think he had an iron-clad prenup and the probate judge even went to see him right before this so he knows what grandpa wanted. So, hopefully that b!tch and her f$cking (f@cking) kids won't even think about contesting the will.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Well, still here. Shoul find out how much longer the job lasts soon. the good news is I have a good bite on a contract job in Littleton that's supposed to go to Dec '10 if not longer, so that's good. what I REALLY want is the Industrial Designer job (new product design) I applied for in Boulder (permanent). Regardless, I want to come home. It sucks being here, I miss Carina and home and my friends, but it's $$ and I need it. Even getting a little OT, 6-8/week, unfortunately paid as straight time, but I'll take it.

On the good side, we finally got a great weather day here (been raining a lot-sucks) and took a solo ride up thru Jackson, thru Teton Park, and up into Yellowstone. I didn't get to go all the way up where I wanted (Tower Junction) because of the construction delays and the 30-45mph slog behind the RV's and had to turn and head home, but it was still an amazing ride. Did 430 miles. Teton Park is better, I think, and I found a great road that runs parallel to the mountains just North of Jackson. The road is nice with sweepers and an awesome view (but the bugs suck...). I think I got some great pics, but I can't post 'em yet. I hope I get either of those jobs (preferrably the Boulder one), so wish me luck.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Well, when it rains it pours. I got a great lead on a job working for a company that's contracting to Lockheed in Littleton. Will go to Dec 2 '01, and may go another 3 years after that (in year increments). the money seems good to. the job I REALLY want is an Industrial Designer job in Louisville doing new product design for outside companies. But, perhaps the one I NEED is I just got contacted by NAVIAR out in China Lake where I lived and worked for a contractor to the NAVY. If I could get that one, it'd mean I'd maybe never see Carina again, but that I would have a very serious hope of finally being able to retire. So, we'll see. I'm torn, but I don't want to work until I die with nothing to show for it at the end, and I think working for the NAVY would be my best bet for not doing that.

Had a great ride up to the Teton and Yellowstone parks. The weather was awesome, and the scenery in the Teton parks was too, less so Yellowstone, but it’s a slow slog at 30-45 behind the RV’s. Be warned. Oh, and the BUGS in the evening…..ugh. Did 430 miles.

mtnairlover
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Absolutely beautiful! I love the scenery there as well. Took a boat ride on Jackson Lake when I was preggers with Paulina in '97, with the ex and kids. I still have vivid memories of a lot of that trip.

I'm certainly glad to read that you are getting some good leads...that's really great news. :)

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Great pics man! I'm actually planning on riding up there next month, so it was great to see your photos.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Jun 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Great pics man! I'm actually planning on riding up there next month, so it was great to see your photos.
It's $20 for a M/C pass good for a week. It'll take a couple days (at 45mph) to see Yellowstone. There was a lot of interesting (touristy)geothermal stuff, but I wanted to ride, and Y-stone isn't really that great for that with all the traffic. Glad I did it, wish I'd been able to get to the one road I wanted, but I don't think I'll ever do it again. Teton has the better scenery, but it's limited to pretty much what you see above. If you get up here before I head back, let me know, and you can crash here, and maybe I'll go up with you.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jul 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Have a really good shot at the Littleton job (1-1/2 to perhaps 3-1/2yr contract w/Lockheed Martin-Orion project), and probably a good shot at the one in Louisville (perm-Industrial Designer) too. Also had a phone interview with some high-level (department-head and division-head) people from NAVAIR at China Lake today and I think I have a really good shot at that as well. I'd hate to have to never see my daughter Carina again and leave CO after wanting to return for SO many years, but the NAVAIR job (gov't employee-w/gubbamint cheeze!!!) I think would be my only chance of working until retirement. Gah! This world/economy sucks sometimes. What to do..... I'm SO tired of having nothing to look forward to and no stability, looking for a new job every 4-1/2 years or so. But, this might be the only real financial stability possible for me and my kids. I lived there from '80-'91 and worked as a contractor for the base for 8+ years, so I have friends and know the area well. Also, well, Laguna is only about 380 mi away! but.....I'd miss Carina and everything here...

Ideas? Thoughts? what would you do?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Everyone's got (or is) an a$$hole, but no opinion?:)

CurtisRR
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Everyone's got (or is) an a$$hole, but no opinion?:)

That's a ruff call. It is hard to answer. On one hand there is the stability to take care of yourself which in turn presents you the ability to take care of your children. On the other hand family is a priority over work IMO.

I know how much it eats at you not having that stability and I know how much Carina means to you.

Have you asked either or both ex's their opinion? They see first hand how you not being there effects the kids but I also understand they want the child support so their opinions are important as long as you/them make it about the kids.

If you are in that place of stability there is also the possibility to have all the kids visit. Right now that is not a possibility. You see Carina at times but that is it. So the stability may afford you the opportunity to see all the kids just not as frequently.

Does seeing Carina more frequently outweigh seeing all the kids? Now I know Carina is still an infant vs grown (nearing teens I believe) so that impact on Carina's life may outweigh the others.

So basically I have no opinion but hopefully giving you things to consider.

Your heart is the only thing that can answer this. You must follow your gut with this. Neither is a bad option because they are both about you and your effect on the family. You are trying to do right in both situations.

As far as missing CO, that does have an effect here but I believe it is secondary or even lower on the list. You are craving stability and family and personally believe you need to focus on that with this decision.

mtnairlover
Tue Jul 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Personally speaking Frank...(yeah...here's s'more personal stuff...meh).

My parents split when I was 10. My brother was 11 my sister 8. My Dad thought it was important for the mother to raise the kids. He pretty much disappeared from our lives until I was 15, when he came back to the states and Colorado with his soon to be wife.

Now, the in-between time? I missed my Dad like you have no idea. I ached deeply. There wasn't a moment that went by that I didn't beg God to return him home. There wasn't a moment that went by where I didn't question what the hell does love have to do with anything in this world...obviously nothing to do with my family and my parents.

I grew distant from my siblings. My Mom was an alcoholic and emotionally/psychologically abusive. Some sort of stability would have been nice. I was the lucky one of the siblings, because despite almost dropping out of school at 14 and doing all sorts of drugs, I found the strength to get my act back together. My brother suffered internally and never said anything to anyone...not until he was on his death-bed. My sister never even finished the 8th grade and was pregnant with twins at 17.

Does that mean that anything like that will happen to your children, if you are not closer by? No...not at all.

Every individual is different, but we all grow based on the love and nurturing we received as young children...by the time we reach adolescence, if no values have taken a good strong hold in us, we falter...and that's not necessarily the fault of our parents. If you give that to your children and to Carina, no matter where you are in the world, then she will thrive. Her growth will come from both you and your ex...so do the best you can to maintain a good relationship with her (as best you can).

Good news? Even though my biggest worry was that my own children would end up like me after I divorced my ex...I forgot that I am not my mother...so, they've grown to be wonderful people...despite the lack of father figure.

Do what you must do for you and your future. Keep in mind that what you do will reflect on your children. If you keep the communication open and honest, I think you might just be surprised how they grow as adults.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys. I know I WANT to stay here and be what father I can to Carina, but it may not be up to me. If the perm position opens up at NAVAIR, and nothing happens here, well, what choice do I have?

Gah! I wish I could just rewind my life.........

Hey curtis, how's things in AZ? frank2 ran across you in UT and said you were having trouble with the house in FTC? Hope you're well down there and you get that all straightened out.

Hope you're doing well too Cathy.

CurtisRR
Mon Jul 13th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Hey curtis, how's things in AZ? frank2 ran across you in UT and said you were having trouble with the house in FTC? Hope you're well down there and you get that all straightened out.

HOT! How the hell do you think? lol

Yeah it was good running into Frank and he told you correctly. The house here is coming together and the house there is just sitting. My run of bad luck only seems to have me laughing at this point and ultimately I know things will work out.

Kinda just like you, it will work out. Just not quite sure how and when.

I have an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon in a month so hopefully things will be moving forward with getting a new hip or fixed hip and when you and Steve make it down we can all be riding.

So how is Carina? I think Frank said you were going back to CO every couple of weeks for the weekend?????

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Jul 18th, 2009, 11:13 AM
HOT! How the hell do you think? lol

Yeah it was good running into Frank and he told you correctly. The house here is coming together and the house there is just sitting. My run of bad luck only seems to have me laughing at this point and ultimately I know things will work out.

Kinda just like you, it will work out. Just not quite sure how and when.

I have an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon in a month so hopefully things will be moving forward with getting a new hip or fixed hip and when you and Steve make it down we can all be riding.

So how is Carina? I think Frank said you were going back to CO every couple of weeks for the weekend?????
Man, sorry to hear it, I'm sorry to hear it fell through.

Well, still working here, and they really like me, so it'll probably last some more months if I wanted it to, but I'd rather be in CO, or, if nothing else, that NAVAIR job. The Louisville job I REALLY wanted fell through, but Littleton is still viable, and NAVAIR. Man, sometimes things (life) just don't turn out how you think, you know? My cousin in CT thinks she'll lose their house because her lazy husband can't (won't?) findwork. So sad.

Hope you can get that hip fixed, I'm sure there's plenty of good riding down there. Dunno if I'll be able to make it down this summer, but we'll see. If I get the Littleton job, most likely. If I get the Navy job, we'll see. Anyways, hope things are going well for ya down there and best of luck with the FTC house. Interested in renting it? Maybe if I end up back there me and Paul could. Who knows.

Take care bro. I'm planning a ride today to Jackson and some squiggly roads up here that look nice, and I'll post more pics.