PDA

View Full Version : firearm gurus...

derekm
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I am looking into buying my first hand gun. I have fired guns & rifles before, how ever I am looking to get input on a great "beginner" hand gun. Looking for something good and easily maintenanced. I don't need a giant revolver, just looking to finally buy a small gun. Any and all input is appreciated! I am also looking for info on maintenance, safety classes, ect. Thanks -Derek

The Black Knight
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Semi-auto or Revolver? because in my opinion the two are worlds apart.

Rhino
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Might want to include what you want it for, i.e. target practice, home defense, ccw, etc.

There are niches for all of them. Best bet is to hit a few stores and actually hold them. See which one "fits" you. Some ranges rent.

Allen H
Mon May 11th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Howdy, for a 1st pistol...
Springfield XD & XD-M in 9mm are both good all around sidearms if you're looking for a semi-auto.
Taurus Judge is very a good revolver. shoots both .45 colt <revolver round> & .410 GA < shotgun round>.
you might be able to try both at the Firing Line in Aurora.
Cheers, Al

Nerves
Mon May 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM
If you have never owned a gun, make no decisions till YOU go to a store and hold em yourself. Everyone fits different. Some people swear by glocks, I cant stand them, they shoot high for me. I love my Sig's, others hate them. Invest in a name brand (Beretta, Sig, Glock, S&W, H&K, CZ, Kimber, Colt, Rugar, Taurus, Walther, Browning) and make sure it is comfortable FOR YOU.

derekm
Mon May 11th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Sorry for the lack of info...leaning towards a semi/ 9mm. glock or springfield have both been recommended. I am looking for recreation mostly.

Nerves
Mon May 11th, 2009, 10:30 PM
The new Springfield XD/M is the largest capacity handgun on the market. The 9mm is 19+1 i think which is 1 more then its glock and Beretta counterpart. And they are very solid.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/

Zanos
Tue May 12th, 2009, 03:04 AM
The new Springfield XD/M is the largest capacity handgun on the market. The 9mm is 19+1 i think which is 1 more then its glock and Beretta counterpart. And they are very solid.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/

If you need the largest capacity pistol on the market. And need the 19+1. Please sell your gun.

TFOGGuys
Tue May 12th, 2009, 08:52 AM
If you need the largest capacity pistol on the market. And need the 19+1. Please sell your gun.

Hey, ya never know when you're gonna be attacked by 19 zombies...and they're not just gonna shoot themselves, dammit.....

Cars-R-Coffins
Tue May 12th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Sorry for the lack of info...leaning towards a semi/ 9mm. glock or springfield have both been recommended. I am looking for recreation mostly.

If you're looking at those two, be sure to check out the S&W M&P series. Same type of pistol but many people feel it is more comfortable than either of the ones you mentioned. All are relatively easy to break down and clean.

Ol'Skool
Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Go Glock, its going to shoot every time. You can break it down and clean it in a flash. Tons of sights, grips and other toys can be added. If you are new to guns or dont plan on shooting alot to build muscle memory, I would stay away from manual safetys. In a stressful situation you will forget to disengage it.

Fly boy
Tue May 12th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I hate to be a little bias but the 1911 should be thrown into the mix. You can't go wrong with something that is nearly unchanged for so long.

Cars-R-Coffins
Tue May 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I hate to be a little bias but the 1911 should be thrown into the mix. You can't go wrong with something that is nearly unchanged for so long.

Please disregard the last post... the 1911 IS NOT a good choice for someone purchasing their first pistol! Among the biggest downfalls are... 1.) they are not as easy to disassemble/assemble as the other pistols mentioned 2.) unless you are willing to spend about $800, reliability could be a factor 3.) most 1911's only hold 7-8 rounds.

And before anyone shoots off at the mouth about how reliable the 1911 is, if you want to put your money where your mouth is I'll be more than happy to take you up on it, just PM me.

You don't have to take my word for it, ask around. You'll find the majority of "older" folks like them because it was the choice of the US military for many years, and because of this, sometimes sentimental feelings come into play when people purchase personal weapons. Just my $.02 :guns:

Fly boy
Tue May 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Please disregard the last post... the 1911 IS NOT a good choice for someone purchasing their first pistol! Among the biggest downfalls are... 1.) they are not as easy to disassemble/assemble as the other pistols mentioned 2.) unless you are willing to spend about $800, reliability could be a factor 3.) most 1911's only hold 7-8 rounds.

And before anyone shoots off at the mouth about how reliable the 1911 is, if you want to put your money where your mouth is I'll be more than happy to take you up on it, just PM me.

You don't have to take my word for it, ask around. You'll find the majority of "older" folks like them because it was the choice of the US military for many years, and because of this, sometimes sentimental feelings come into play when people purchase personal weapons. Just my $.02 :guns:

Ok, I guess I have just cleaned mine enough to be efficiant with it. He is right, its just not slide the rail off, and move a spring out of the way to clean.

I personally don't like the 19+1 mags.... some are a PITA to load, I just have a couple extra's for the 1911.

I spent $612 for mine, but that was 3 years ago. Never had a fault yet, even putting through some ammo that was very old.

On a side note, it feels heavy, but once you fire it, it is very well balanced. It doesn't want to snap out of your hands.

TFOGGuys
Tue May 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I have to agree, a 1911 is better for a more experienced shooter, rather than a n00b. I will disagree with the rest: I have a Norinco 1911 that I purchased for under $300 many years ago. I have put over 10000 rounds down range, including reduced power handloads with cast bullets, and never had a failure to fire, eject, or feed a round. The only mods are a full length recoil spring guide, and a set of aftermarket grips. Yeah, the thing is a boat anchor, weight wise, but it is my "nightstand gun", in effect, my final defense after my shotgun.

jbnwc
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I have a buddy who recently purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm and said it is a much better gun to shoot than his other various pistols. Check it out.

From personal experience, I recommend staying away from any Double-Action-Only (DAO) pistols. They aren't much fun to shoot.

If you are using this for practice/fun as well as self defense - 9mm is a good way to go because the ammo is cheap and you have tons of options for both guns and ammo.

If you have no intention of using this for self defense - go with a more expensive .22LR since the ammo is cheaper than dirt and they are way more fun to shoot than the bigger calibers IMO. You can shoot a thousand rounds and still be able to buy gas to get home and don't have a sore hand/finger. In a pinch, they can still serve as a self-defense weapon.(A .22 you can aim is way better than a 45 that you can't hit a barn with)

Ol'Skool
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I know gun shows are fun and some stores want to make a sale but....stay away from the cheap brands. Phoenix arms, hipoint etc. Cheap materials = breaks, jams you name it.

Ol'Skool
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
charles daley makes a short barrel, pump action shotgun specificaly designed for home defense. Nothing will destroy burglars and zombies faster than 3" buck. The price usualy ranges around $200 too. Racking a round into the chamber will usualy give the pucker factor too.

puckstr
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM
charles daley makes a short barrel, pump action shotgun specificaly designed for home defense. Nothing will destroy burglars and zombies faster than 3" buck. The price usualy ranges around $200 too. Racking a round into the chamber will usualy give the pucker factor too.

those are on sale OFTEN at Big 5..Check there web site often and you will find them for ~$250

BeoBe
Tue May 12th, 2009, 03:37 PM
9mm is a pretty good semi auto to start off with.. At least i thought so

The Black Knight
Tue May 12th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah there are tons of examples out there from all the manufactures. Some have already been mentioned. Like others have said, I'd recommend anything from Smith & Wesson in their M&P line and their Sigma line, the XD or XD(M), Taurus 24/7 Pro or OSS models, Glock and Sig Sauer.

My advice is check out all the models that spark your interest. Hold them, see how they fit your hand. Do a couple dry fire tests to check the trigger reset. Main thing is being comfortable with the gun and happy as well. If you don't like the weapon from the moment you pick it up, you may not grow to like it.

9mm is a good choice right now because ammo is still cheap(if you can find it and you can just look). You don't feel sick after burning several hundred rounds through it knowing you just tossed a $100 bucks(like you would with a .45ACP).

Well as for myself, I didn't actually need my XD(M) 9mm(no wait that's wrong, I need every gun I have) HAHA. Honestly though, I love my XD(M), and I do use it for CCW. It's kind of nice to have 20 in the gun and two spare mags with 19 in them. At 58 rounds of ammo, I'm usually prepared for just about anything :)

MAZIN
Tue May 12th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Glock, Kimber, H&K. Just my preferences

Fly boy
Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
My Walther has been VERY reliable, and it comes apart extremly easy to clean.

Nerves
Wed May 13th, 2009, 06:44 PM

According to many firearms instructors, a person shooting 70%-75% accuracy at a range will only have a 10%-15% accuracy when engaged in a real firefight. The diffrance is due to adrenaline and the fact that the target is shooting back with the intent to kill you. If you have a 7+1 sidearm, you will be lucky to hit your target with 1 round. If you increase the capacity to 19+1, your chances of landing rounds on target and ending the conflict have greatly increased. Any military orientated person will tell you that one thing will end a firefight quicker then any other. Fire superiority! If your buying a gun for home protection or as a CCW, capacity is your friend.

The Black Knight
Wed May 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM
According to many firearms instructors, a person shooting 70%-75% accuracy at a range will only have a 10%-15% accuracy when engaged in a real firefight. The diffrance is due to adrenaline and the fact that the target is shooting back with the intent to kill you. If you have a 7+1 sidearm, you will be lucky to hit your target with 1 round. If you increase the capacity to 19+1, your chances of landing rounds on target and ending the conflict have greatly increased. Any military orientated person will tell you that one thing will end a firefight quicker then any other. Fire superiority! If your buying a gun for home protection or as a CCW, capacity is your friend.
100% agreed, capacity is always your friend.

Fly boy
Wed May 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM
100% agreed, capacity is always your friend.

Guess I'm screwed.... 10rd, 8rd, 8rd :(

Zanos
Wed May 13th, 2009, 09:37 PM
If you get involved in a "firefight" (in used terms) with a CCW... maybe you should call 911 and go the other way. If you need 58 rounds, for a CCW, then maybe you need to work on your reason for having a CCW. My two cents, if you need those 58 rounds, you are causing more problems than good. You might want to go the other way to wake up the next day to see your wife, husband, mom, dad, kids, etc.

Remember, you dont have a big old sign on your back that says "I CARRY CCW and HAVE MORE ROUNDS THAN YOU."

I think having a large magazine is good, but that should not be the only reason to buy a brand/caliber.

derekm
Wed May 13th, 2009, 09:41 PM
wow thanks all! and ll this time I thought tight clothes & short hair was the best defense against zombies!!!

Nerves
Wed May 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
If you get involved in a "firefight" (in used terms) with a CCW... maybe you should call 911 and go the other way.

One of my favorite sayings is "When danger is only a minuet away, the cops are three." Sometimes you cannot rely on law enforcement. They do the best they can, but sometimes it is not good enough.

Remember, you dont have a big old sign on your back that says "I CARRY CCW and HAVE MORE ROUNDS THAN YOU."

The whole point behind a CCW is as a CONCEALED last resort. If I want to broadcast the fact that I am carrying a gun, I will open carry, which is entirely legal. Having a large capacity CCW is not to show off how much you have under your coat it is to insure that I am the winner when and if I ever need it.

FZRguy
Wed May 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
How do you guys feel about a 380 (as in Browning DA 380) for CCW?

Nerves
Thu May 14th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I am trying to rid myself of my Sig P9 and I am going to pick up a Sig P230 380 for my CCW instead. I believe the .380 is just a slightly shorter 9mm also known as a 9mm Kurtz. I have no personal experience with browning but by reputation alone I would say good buy. Although it looks like a medium frame gun so I can't understand why it is chambered in .380 and not 9mm or .40 S&W. Usually that caliber is reserved for small frame guns such as the Walther PPK or Sig P232.

The Black Knight
Thu May 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM
If you get involved in a "firefight" (in used terms) with a CCW... maybe you should call 911 and go the other way. If you need 58 rounds, for a CCW, then maybe you need to work on your reason for having a CCW. My two cents, if you need those 58 rounds, you are causing more problems than good. You might want to go the other way to wake up the next day to see your wife, husband, mom, dad, kids, etc.

I think having a large magazine is good, but that should not be the only reason to buy a brand/caliber.
Well I never said that I need all 58 rounds should the unfortunate arise and I have to defend myself. Fact is, I'll only need 1 or 2, maybe 3(considering a failure drill). However, the reason I carry 58 rounds, is because I can. It's not my fault my magazine holds 19 rounds and since my shoulder holster rig has a two mag pouch with it(and in order to make the weight distribution correct) I carry two full spare mags.

Honestly, when I carry on my hip, I usually just run one extra mag or just the one in the gun and no spare.

I firmly believe in "chance favors the prepared mind" so the fact that I'll carry one or two spare mags isn't completely for CCW reasons. Should I get stranded on say a remote mountain road or whatever the reason. I'd like to know that I've got enough firepower to cover my a** should anything happen. You just never know and I think being prepared for it, will always put you a leg up.

No I don't believe I'll ever be in a firefight were I'd need 58 rounds. I'm very proud of the fact that I can keep a very cool head in situations where they can escalate. I'm also and will continue to be proud of the fact that I've yet to have to un-holster my pistol for any reason. To be perfectly honest, being concealed carry was probably the best thing to ever happen to me and my demeanor. I used to be terrible with road rage, now I couldn't care less when someone cuts me off or yells at me for driving slow or whatever the reason my be. I just shrug it off because I am being held to a higher standard.

And just for sarcasm sake about living for loved ones, I'm not married(single actually), have no kids, only have parents and a dog. So yeah I really don't have much to live for anyway HAHAHA!! j/king

The Black Knight
Thu May 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM
How do you guys feel about a 380 (as in Browning DA 380) for CCW?
.380 is kind of a small round, yeah it may do the trick but depending on who it's used against. Should you have the unfortunate incident of going against some 7 foot tall 350lb pissed of guy. I might want something with a little extra thump. However, a properly placed round will always do the trick and even a .380 placed in the ocular region of even the biggest dude will drop them like a rock. I just wouldn't put much stock in a .380 inflicting much damage in the thoracic/center of mass area.

I think the smallest I'd going(personally) would be a 9mm for CCW. Thing with 9mm is there are tons of self-defense rounds on the market now from all the manufactures. And some that perform very well. I know Cor-Bon has a hot-rodded +P round thumping in the 460lbs of muzzle energy range. Several manufactures make some very nice +P rounds in 9mm. Don't rule out the 147gr subsonic round for 9mm either.