PDA

View Full Version : Squids vs the rest.....

Slo
Tue May 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM
So theres always a lot of talk about squids..... I saw two of them last week coming down I-70 east around CO Mills mall, two guys flying past 5pm traffic, one guy was further back, catching up, definitely doing triple digits speeds, they got off around mills exit. Also notice many Harley or chopper guys tend to rev their bikes when they come up next to you (while your in a cage).

However, I did see a guy on a Triumph last week on I-70 west going towards I-25 riding with manners. Hand signaling lane changes, not speeding up and slowing down, just going with the flow of traffic. Just cruising and being courteous.....

This morning on the way into work, guy on a black R6, I-70 west from Chambers area, turned off onto 470, rode real casual, nothing overly aggressive at all.

Just wanted to share since we usually only start threads about squids....

MetaLord 9
Tue May 12th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Good post, Jay! I noticed a guy southbound on I-25 who got off at 225 who was in the right lane using hand signals, going with the flow of traffic, looking before he switched lanes. Looked like he knew what he was doing and wasn't being a hooligan. I was impressed since the most memorable sights of the season thus far have been kids in shorts, sneakers, t-shirts with no gloves, helmets, or eye protection (not even sunglasses on a few of 'em)

~Barn~
Tue May 12th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I actually saw 3 "Sons of Silence" vest-wearing riders on Arapahoe yesterday. They were on loud enough bikes, but not being obnoxious. Aside of course, from the cigs being flicked out of their mouths, but then again, no ashtrays on a chopper.

And they were using their handsignals, like they were putting on a clinc. Very refreshing.

Tipys
Tue May 12th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I ride in and out of Traffic on my way to work. Hand signals looking before I change lanes. Is it really that much asking to go 5mph over in the left lane on i25. I mean really come on people Slower Traffic keep right. I also point to those signs if one is close after i pass a car on the right side doing 70mph.

gsxrjohnson
Wed Jun 17th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I ride in and out of Traffic on my way to work. Hand signals looking before I change lanes. Is it really that much asking to go 5mph over in the left lane on i25. I mean really come on people Slower Traffic keep right. I also point to those signs if one is close after i pass a car on the right side doing 70mph.

^ what he said...

asp_125
Wed Jun 17th, 2009, 08:10 AM
There was a guy riding down C470 yesterday on a Fiat Yamaha with a bright multicolored helmet (I think I've seen him at Bostons) who could've cranked it up lots of times, but didn't. Instead riding defensively and leaving himself escape routes and not running up the back of cagers. We rag on squids because they are the ones sticking out like a cold sore. The good riders blend in and if we didn't also ride we might not have noticed.

MetaLord 9
Wed Jun 17th, 2009, 08:30 AM
There was a guy riding down C470 yesterday on a Fiat Yamaha with a bright multicolored helmet (I think I've seen him at Bostons) who could've cranked it up lots of times, but didn't. Instead riding defensively and leaving himself escape routes and not running up the back of cagers. We rag on squids because they are the ones sticking out like a cold sore. The good riders blend in and if we didn't also ride we might not have noticed.
I think I've seen that guy before too & he/she defiantely seems to ride well!

derekm
Wed Jun 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM
So theres always a lot of talk about squids..... I saw two of them last week coming down I-70 east around CO Mills mall, two guys flying past 5pm traffic, one guy was further back, catching up, definitely doing triple digits speeds, they got off around mills exit. Also notice many Harley or chopper guys tend to rev their bikes when they come up next to you (while your in a cage).

However, I did see a guy on a Triumph last week on I-70 west going towards I-25 riding with manners. Hand signaling lane changes, not speeding up and slowing down, just going with the flow of traffic. Just cruising and being courteous.....

This morning on the way into work, guy on a black R6, I-70 west from Chambers area, turned off onto 470, rode real casual, nothing overly aggressive at all.

Just wanted to share since we usually only start threads about squids....
was it a blk & red 675? haha

Slo
Wed Jun 17th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Can't remember now, damn alzheimers.... But I always leave around the same time, usually on I-70 westbound from Chambers at about 7:30am going up the hill just past lookout mountain every weekday morning.

RAGrote
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I try VERY hard to not care what squids do.

Karma is a bitch and she NEVER sleeps.

I've, unfortunately, seen the result of squidly behavior - not pretty.

Still... their life - as long as they don't crash anybody else on their way to the predictable end. God help 'em.

I'm glad I've NEVER done ANYTHING squidly in my riding life... :shocked::banghead:

Slo
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah problem is, too many people don't care....until something bad happens to them as a result of a squid.....or to someone they know. Theres a difference between an accident, and something resulting from someone being an A$$.

MetaLord 9
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I'm glad I've NEVER done ANYTHING squidly in my riding life... :shocked::banghead:
I've definately had my share of squidly persuits, but being a better rider involves finding your way through the stupid sometimes!

racedk6
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Let squids crash! I like cheap race bikes!

OUTLAWD
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
However, I did see a guy on a Triumph...

enough said...proper riders ride proper motorbikes

*OFFICIAL*RID3R*
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 06:08 PM
When I first started riding on the back with my man I would never wear a helmet or any gear I just thought it was coo to have people see me on the back . I finally realized you need to keep yourself safe especially riding. But now I will never get on a bike again with out proper gear!!! Be Safe Rid3rs ...G3ar Up!!

michaelawsome
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 06:12 PM
im a noob with this.. whats a squid?

Gchi
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
im a noob with this.. whats a squid?

slimy thing that knows how to suck and suck good...

or someone on a bike that doesn't wear protective gear
ie] wife beater shirt, short, flip-flops, etc...you get the picture

michaelawsome
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM
o i see.. so pretty much someone who wants to die early??

GixxerCarrie
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Michael...they are also called "asshats"...in other words if you hear either one associated with a person...you probably don't want to be riding with them. lol

michaelawsome
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 07:33 PM
haha. alright.

thesavidge1
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:14 AM
SQUID=

Stupid
Quick
Underdressed
Inexperienced
Driver

-or something like that, somebody told me once.

michaelawsome
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:06 AM
ooo alright.. i road with one of those then today.reving at every stop,taking off for no reason, going 100+ that type thing.

BHeth
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
I always thought it stood for "squirrely kid", but Wiki says it is much, much more:

Squid is a slang term used to describe an irresponsible motorcyclist. The term is common among motorcyclists in North America.

The term is generally used to describe a motorcyclist who rides aggressively, erratically or beyond their capabilities. Actions that may cause a motorcyclist to be identified as a squid are those that are seen as reckless or excessive, such as gratuitous speeding, or performing wheelies or stoppies in the midst of other traffic.

A rider may also be labeled a squid by favoring clothing such as shorts, ball caps, flip flops, and so-called wifebeater shirts - or no shirt at all - over appropriate motorcycling attire, such as a helmet, gloves, leather jacket, riding pants, or boots.

It is important to note that a lack of safety equipment is not normative of squidly behavior. Many squids wear safety equipment, although this may be purely for aesthetic purposes. Similarly, squids are stereotyped to be young males who ride sport bikes, but the term may be used to insult any motorcyclist's behavior or skill as being immature or unsafe.
Because a squid eschews all or many of the social and legal norms of riding behavior, they are usually looked upon with derision by experienced motorcyclists, who may refer to them as "organ donors", "zip-splats", "skin crayons", or "soon-to-be ex-motorcyclists"[1].

The origin of the term squid is ambiguous. It is often said to be a contraction of squirrely and kid, or less commonly, squished and kid. Squid is also described occasionally as an acronym, such as "Super Quick Until I Die", although this and other such acronyms are likely backronyms.
Another possible origin for the term is that it may have originally referred to newly-inducted sailors based in San Diego in the 1960s, who sometimes used inexpensive two-stroke motorcycles for transportation. The term could have referred to these unprotected, inexperienced "marine life" moving through traffic rapidly and leaving a trail of black "ink" (the characteristic dark colored two-stroke exhaust) behind. However Squid was also a more general derogatory term for sailors of this time.

Motorcyclists may also note similarities between how a squid rides and the manner in which a squid swims. Squids may appear unable to change direction while swimming without first coming to a near stop, but then accelerate very rapidly. Squid motorcyclists may have difficulty negotiating turns at normal rates of speed due to a lack of riding skill, but tend to ride at high speeds on straight sections of road.

The usage of 'Squid' as a term for the irresponsible rider also draws a correlation to how the sea creatures' lives can swiftly end. Bad motorcycle accidents usually result in the engine being compromised leaving the motor's oil all over the road. This is analogous to ink ejected by a squid while trying to escape a predator. With this usage "Squidding out" is commonly employed. When accompanied by a pool of blood this idea becomes more graphically linked.

kawasakirob
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
The only time I use turn signals and hand signals is in a group. to much crap can go wrong in traffic to do a "proper lane change". Going quicker than traffic and hugging the stripe so people see you in there mirrors is great. It's funny seeing people in traffic following right in th middle of the lane behind a van or something. Better have retarded amounts of reaction time. Squids are squids......who cares, don't ride with them.

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Playin for keeps there, Bheth.

chanke4252
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
I don't feel any animosity towards "squids", though I never wave at anyone w/o a helmet, which mainly means cruisers and the harley guys. So I guess call me passive aggressive.

I drove to indy to visit my family this past week and NOBODY there wears a helmet or any other protective gear. Sometimes they wear jeans, but that's about the best you'll see as even more ppl wear shorts and t-shirts. I saw at least 40 bikes over the week I was there this time, 3 of which were wearing full face helmets, and about 2 others were wearing skull caps. I tend to just think "man, stupid", but I also think that this means I notice "squids" here in CO a little bit less.

In college (muncie, IN) there were TONS of kids in town who insisted on being squid stereotypes. Wheelying through campus, no helmets, shorts, flip flops, not really even knowing how to ride their bikes much of the time. I really believe that the MSF class should be pushed a LOT harder than it is at the moment, if not required for some people.

Overall this (CO) is a vastly superior state (compared to IN and a number of other states in the midwest) motorcycle-wise as far as people gearing up appropriately, not driving like maroons, and even cagers paying more attention. It just seems like in many places in the midwest the drivers and cyclists exibit a lot more aggression, inattentiveness, and indecision. I've been trying to come up with a reason to account for this. My best guess is that the roads here are a little bit more difficult to navigate due to the relative abundance of curves and greater numbers of drivers on the road, so maybe people just are forced to adapt and drive better and ride smarter. Just a guess.