PDA

View Full Version : Be nice to cyclists, or get fined!

Sully
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:33 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=115477&provider=top&catid=188&GID=OOxH0Q6mPmiDvPZvMXaVJFqF0Rk8bNmPo5zCA9RwGIc%3D

Gov. Bill Ritter has signed a bill aimed at protecting the rights of cyclists.

The measure (Senate Bill 148 ) requires that drivers give cyclists at least 3 feet of space when passing or risk a $110 ticket.

Anyone who throws an object at a cyclist could be charged with a class 2 misdemeanor. That carries a fine of between $250 and $1,000 and a possible sentence of three to 12 months in jail.

Former professional cyclist and the vice president of Wheat Ridge Cyclery Ron Kiefel says the law is a step in the right direction.

"We have to learn how to share the roads and that's what's nice about this law," he said. "It gives the motorists and the cyclists flexibility so we can interact real well on the roads."

The measure allows drivers to cross the double yellow line when it's safe to pass a cyclist, and provides more detail when it comes to the cyclists riding side by side.

Rider Bob Lytle hopes common sense wins, but is still skeptical.

"There isn't going to be a policeman there to enforce the law every time a bike is in the wrong place or a car is in the wrong place. So it's probably a step in the right direction, but I don't necessarily know that it's going to make things that much safer right away," he said.

Driver Gabrielle Bush-Johnson said she supported the law.

"I think it's wonderful and it's much needed. It's really frustrating, I understand like they just want to get out and have fun, but on a road that's so tight it's really hard to share the road and be calm about it."

The bill was sponsored by a bipartisan pair of avid cyclists - Republican Sen. Greg Brophy of Wray and Democratic Rep. Mike Merrifield of Colorado Springs.

Ritter says the new law, which takes effect Aug. 5, will "enhance safety for everyone."

He signed the bill along with six others Monday in Colorado Springs

TurboGizzmo
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Now if only cyclists would obey traffic laws like the rest of us :-/

Sully
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I agree !

I can understand having concern for the cyclists, but I definitely don't agree with them being allowed to ride side by side. Especially if we have to give them at least 3 feet.

Nick_Ninja
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Cycle_Monkey is gonna have a hell uv a time with this. Maybe Idaho will prevent possible headlines.

Sean
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I heard about this on the radio his morning. While I agree with cyclists rights, there are plenty that ride like ass' down the middle of the road. I wonder if there should be some stipulation that suggests how far from the edge they should be (pending safety)?

Panman06
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I agree !

I can understand having concern for the cyclists, but I definitely don't agree with them being allowed to ride side by side. Especially if we have to give them at least 3 feet.

That just means I need to give the cyclist furthest from me 3'. The other one that's closer to me is just screwed. I always give bicycles and motorcycles space, unless they're riding like idiots. That includes the social butterflies that ride 2+ wide so they can talk to each other.

asp_125
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I see potential head-ons in the canyons. A motorcycle rider comes around a blind right hander meets a car over the double yellow giving space to a cyclist mid curve. Or leaned over on the left apex and seeing the same thing (at least most lefts are not blind). Not good.

puckstr
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
3 feet of clearance while over taking???

No Problem
http://www.offroaders.com/directory/monster_trucks/images/bigfoot-1.jpg

Sully
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Last time I was on a group ride up HWY 7, the group rode past 2 women cyclists who didn't think some of our riders gave them enough room when passing.. therefore got somewhat of an earful once they reached our stopping point. Point here is, smack their ass and don't stop where they can catch up to you ! :lol:... I'm kidding of course... but I do get tired of dumbass cyclists trying to pace you down Deer Creek Canyon... :shocked:seriously dude, I am going to run your ass over! :turtle:

Devaclis
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I have enough money to pay every fine I am going to incur.

puckstr
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Last time I was on a group ride up HWY 7, the group rode past 2 women cyclists who didn't think some of our riders gave them enough room when passing.. therefore got somewhat of an earful once they reached our stopping point. Point here is, smack their ass and don't stop where they can catch up to you ! :lol:... I'm kidding of course... but I do get tired of dumbass cyclists trying to pace you down Deer Creek Canyon... :shocked:seriously dude, I am going to run your ass over! :turtle:

Smacking the ASS was MY idea sweetie.

Sully I feel your pain about Deer Creek, and I am on a 250r:cry:

DavidofColorado
Tue May 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Are bicyclists going to chip in some money to pay for the roads they seem to have a right to? I don't see it happening since they don't require license plates on bikes and they can say they pay for plates on their cars. But we have to have a plate on all our vehicles we use on the road. Sure riding a byke is hard and only for the brave. But its those jerk offs that ride up a mountain road that my truck has trouble with, that think they have a right to the road and they don't mind riding 50 miles or more.

Can we please stop telling people what they can't do and stop working up loosening the tight grip laws have around our soul?

MetaLord 9
Tue May 12th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Now if only cyclists would obey traffic laws like the rest of us :-/

+1000

Stop at red lights, stop signs, stay out off of sidewalks, don't filter up to the front of traffic just b/c you can, and don't ride in the middle of the road at 20 mph below the speed limit and I'll stay 3 feet away from you. Otherwise, you're a damn pedestrian and I'm only required not to hit you unless you jump out at me. I can get as close as your spandex as long as I don't touch you.

This is just born of some namby pamby group of numbnuts who share the collective line of reason that states: "Gee! I blew straight through a line of 9 cars parked a stop sign, ran the sign, and then went around the corner at 10 mph in a 45 zone in the middle of the road next to my three friends and some insane person hit me! Can you believe the nerve of people? They must hate bicycles!" :jerkoff: :jerkoff: :jerkoff: :jerkoff:

rasafrackingbicycleridin....

Sully
Tue May 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Smacking the ASS was MY idea sweetie.

Sully I feel your pain about Deer Creek, and I am on a 250r:cry:

awww.. poor thing :( I know you must miss your bike..

I know that cyclists are speeding as well, but I've never seen one get pulled over and ticketed... !!

Devaclis
Tue May 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I saw 2 of them get pulled for running a red light under c470 on Broadway.

People started taping signs up at the intersections warning the bikes that they need to obey traffic laws. The police noticed and started waiting for them. People STILL run the lights there but not so much since a dude was killed doing it last year.

Spy007
Tue May 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
EH... just stand at the favorite cycling spots of morons with some sticks in hand...

They come by, you jack the stick into their front wheels

No fine! :D

Just run like hell!

Sully
Tue May 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I saw 2 of them get pulled for running a red light under c470 on Broadway.

People started taping signs up at the intersections warning the bikes that they need to obey traffic laws. The police noticed and started waiting for them. People STILL run the lights there but not so much since a dude was killed doing it last year.

damn, that's crazy :(.... when I ride my bicycle, I usually stay on the trails where there are no crazy cagers ! :crazy:

JaySon
Tue May 12th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I had some "cyclest punk" and I do mean punk flip over the hood of my truck while I was stop at a stop sign at the bottom of the hill. He failed to pay attention to where he was going, looking down at his petals, and ran into my truck. I get out to see if he's okay, he processed to cuss me out and tells me I need to pay attention! Of course we exchanged a few more words before he decided to pedal his dumb ass away. Asshole left a nice dent in my fender.

Horsman
Tue May 12th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Damn it and I just got a new (CBB) Cyclist Brush Bar for my truck...
They say the Spandex and Blood washes off really easily...
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/4Horsman/grille1.jpg

DavidofColorado
Tue May 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Damn it and I just got a new (CBB) Cyclist Brush Bar for my truck...
They say the Spandex and Blood washes off really easily...
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/4Horsman/grille1.jpg
:):headbang:That's funny.

vmax2003
Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM
i see a lot of them on the roads doing a lot of stupid crap that we would get a ticket for. if you try driving downtown when they are doing a cycle ride, you cant get around them they hog and block the road and run lights all the time there. drives me crazy to see that.

kawasakirob
Tue May 12th, 2009, 11:52 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=115477&provider=top&catid=188&GID=OOxH0Q6mPmiDvPZvMXaVJFqF0Rk8bNmPo5zCA9RwGIc%3D

Gov. Bill Ritter has signed a bill aimed at protecting the rights of cyclists.

The measure (Senate Bill 148 ) requires that drivers give cyclists at least 3 feet of space when passing or risk a $110 ticket.

Anyone who throws an object at a cyclist could be charged with a class 2 misdemeanor. That carries a fine of between $250 and $1,000 and a possible sentence of three to 12 months in jail.

Anyone who GETS CAUGHT will have to face a penalty. Some of those guys are pretty ballsy, passing cars on a mountain pass. The owner of my apartment is a pretty hardcore bicyclist. pretty chill, gives cars the right of way. I believe the law is a good one, its when Bicyclists are 3 wide in a canyon and I almost wipe out trying to avoid there spandexed ass that pisses me off. Have to watch out for the Hells Angels Bicyclists, though, they might flick you off if you upset them.

utsv650
Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:03 AM
i carry an empty motor oil bottle in my car behind my seat and every time a cyclist is acting a fool, i pass em, slow down, and hold it out the window with the cap off acting like im going to pour it in front of them.

they usually back off pretty quick... if they dont i hold the brick out the window... that brick works for tailgaters, too when held out the sunroof on the highway acting like ill toss it :-)

TheStig
Wed May 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Wow a lot of hate in this thread for cyclists. Its funny I have been driving in denver for years and never felt the need to "act" like I was going to harm a cyclist. You guys sound like Alice 105.9 on here...

Im sure no cagers have ever felt this way towards motorcycles...

Devaclis
Wed May 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I for one never said I would do any harm to a cyclist. I simply stated I have enough money to pay any fines I incur by not obeying this "law"

And I do hate. I hate a lot.

TheStig
Wed May 13th, 2009, 02:31 PM
One of the fines and jailtime is for throwing objects at cyclists...which you said you would gladly pay. I have to say I would hate for a car to throw anything at me while im on my sv (even if the didnt "intend" to hurt me).

Speaking of this, even if I was pissed at a cyclist I probably wouldnt do anything...most of them do carry cell phones. So even acting like I was going to do something they will probably get a #csp call.

Devaclis
Wed May 13th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Here, let me quote myself. ^^^

(insert "I will throw things at cyclists" wherever you feel the need to) I guess, according to my original post, that you could assume I meant to say that I would run them over and throw things at them. Yeah, I can see that. I think I also insinuated that I would kill their kids too, just not in those words.

:)

Nick_Ninja
Wed May 13th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Here, let me quote myself. ^^^

(insert "I will throw things at cyclists" wherever you feel the need to) I guess, according to my original post, that you could assume I meant to say that I would run them over and throw things at them. Yeah, I can see that. I think I also insinuated that I would kill their kids too, just not in those words.

:)

You are evil and need to hang with Cycle_Monkey :twisted:

Devaclis
Wed May 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM
No, he has "cycle" in his name :)

Nick_Ninja
Wed May 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM
No, he has "cycle" in his name :)

............... yeah but at least it ain't modified by the term 'menstrual'.

dallas
Wed May 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM
This is such Bull Shit!!!!!!!! I think they should apply the same law to anyone on two wheels, motorized or not. If they are dumb enough to mingle with motorized vehicles while on their bicycle, they are dumb enough to accept their fate.

Devaclis
Wed May 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Let's go ride bikes!!

This time I get to use the one with a seat :)

MetaLord 9
Wed May 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Wow a lot of hate in this thread for cyclists. Its funny I have been driving in denver for years and never felt the need to "act" like I was going to harm a cyclist. You guys sound like Alice 105.9 on here...

Im sure no cagers have ever felt this way towards motorcycles...
I'm with Dana, please point out just where I mentioned anything about harming cyclists? Just because I don't like the law & I hate it when they act like jackasses, doesn't mean I have any more the right to hurt them than they do to attack me.

Dislike and violent aggression are two very separate things. Some advocated the latter, I disagree with 'em, but please hold off on the alice referrences to try and make a pont.

TheStig
Wed May 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Well I was speaking for the posts on a whole (except when I responded directly to Devaclis). Im just playing devils advocate because everyone on here was lumping all cyclists into the "runs lights, rides 8 wide and in general acts like an asshole". There are cyclists out there who dont behave like this. Trust me I'm watching my ass every minute when Im on the road but I also dont feel that I own the road in any vehicle im on whether I pay taxes on it or not. I also feel that cyclists should get fined for not obeying laws as well.

I guess I personally feel that its a similar reaction that a lot of cagers have to motorcyclists.

TheStig
Wed May 13th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Wait havent we had this argument already haha!?

Horsman
One of the fines and jailtime is for throwing objects at cyclists...which you said you would gladly pay. I have to say I would hate for a car to throw anything at me while im on my sv (even if the didnt "intend" to hurt me).

Speaking of this, even if I was pissed at a cyclist I probably wouldnt do anything...most of them do carry cell phones. So even acting like I was going to do something they will probably get a #csp call.

I think - I hope - that everyone understands that we are a non-violent commune/club/clan. We all understand the risks of being on 2 wheels. We kid, we kid and we would not like to see anyone ever get hurt on a cycle or on a bike or even in a car.

TheStig
I think - I hope - that everyone understands that we are a non-violent commune/club/clan. We all understand the risks of being on 2 wheels. We kid, we kid and we would not like to see anyone ever get hurt on a cycle or on a bike or even in a car.

Someone got my point at least :).

Tipys
Wed May 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I feel this way about anybody and everybody on the road that doesn't know how to drive. If you have been on the roads lately thats damn near everybody. All they need is one more law thats not going to be inforced.

kawasakirob
Wed May 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM
People could always ride a staionary bike, still get the same workout, which is what they are looking for.

Nick_Ninja
Wed May 13th, 2009, 03:49 PM
People could always ride a staionary bike, still get the same workout, which is what they are looking for.

That's like riding track days. The scenery never changes. F-that :down:

MetaLord 9
Wed May 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Someone got my point at least :).
We got your point earlier, but my point is that, being as a very few of us advocated violence towards cyclists, the remainder of us expressed anger & disapproval towards those who cycle with a sense of entitlement, disregard for surroundings, and who feel it's a right to have their cake and eat it to. The vast majority of cyclists, I'm sure, are law abiding individuals who ride their bicycles like they are bicycles, not cars or motorcycles. What's more, I'd appreciate a three foot buble around my motorcycle, since plenty of folks seem incapable of even maintaining that.

Devaclis
Wed May 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I should be able to ride my licensed 2 wheel vehicle on the side of any road.

In upstate NY, there are dirtbike/snowmobile trails on the side of most highways and rural routes. It is legal to ride any place that is not private property. I am moving back.

Nerves
Wed May 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
What kills me is that in this state bicyclers have there own portion of the road and still on regular occasion feel the need to interrupt motorized traffic. My home state of Missouri had no such provision for bikes. If people wanted to enjoy the sport, they had to learn to meld with traffic. I think that the privilege of using major roadways (like roads with a 45+ speed limit) for a bicycle should require an endorsement on an individuals license along with a fee.

sprtbkbabe
Wed May 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah... but any one of you guys wanna try running over female cyclists?

Come on! Try it.... I DARE YA! (ha.... suckers!)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 13th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Maybe it's my luck, but MOST of the cyclists I see blatantly run lights, stop signs, obstruct traffic (2+ wide), and weave between lanes. Just generally arrogant a-hole behavoir.

My problems with this ridiculous law is this:
1. Who is going to enforce the 3' rule? Can these idiots just cell it in and we get the ticket, sight unseen?

2. When they violate all of the rules of the road they routinely break, what can WE do? They don't have plates, so we can't cell it in, and with that ghey:slappers:Armstrong-wannabe spandex gear they always wear they look the same. They're not even required to carry ID in case we DO force them over and pull a citizen's arrest on 'em.

In otherwords, WE have accountability via our plates, THEY do not.

This, my friends, is horse-pucky. "F" Ritter and all the other idiots that totally didn't think this through.:banghead::scream1:

Nerves
Wed May 13th, 2009, 10:23 PM
This, my friends, is horse-pucky. "F" Ritter

+100

Truer words have never been spoken.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 13th, 2009, 11:31 PM
You are evil and need to hang with Cycle_Monkey :twisted:
Dana is not evil ENOUGH to hang wit' da Munkey!:)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 13th, 2009, 11:33 PM
+100

Truer words have never been spoken.
Wow.......can I quote you on that?:)

Panman06
Wed May 13th, 2009, 11:51 PM
[quote=CYCLE_MONKEY;450608]2. When they violate all of the rules of the road they routinely break, what can WE do?/quote]

That's why I have 1/4" steel skids covering my entire undercarriage. Need to make sure pieces of Trek don't jack up my truck.

DavidofColorado
Thu May 14th, 2009, 05:31 AM
[/URL][URL="http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=danascup2.jpg"]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6677/danascup2.jpg (http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=danascup2.jpg)

This law is bullshit. What's next? Fining people who beat up other people as a hate crime just because the guy beat up drive a Prius?

Tipys
Thu May 14th, 2009, 07:18 AM
See thats what I still find funny. If your beating somebody up isn't that a hate crime in itself? I don't think you beat up people you like your doing it for one reason or another. But then if someone says you did it because your a races its not longer just a salt its a hate crime which ups the charge. Again more retarded laws that don't make sense.

Nerves
Thu May 14th, 2009, 07:34 AM
See thats what I still find funny. If your beating somebody up isn't that a hate crime in itself? I don't think you beat up people you like your doing it for one reason or another. But then if someone says you did it because your a races its not longer just a salt its a hate crime which ups the charge. Again more retarded laws that don't make sense.

I am the worst person in the world to point out spelling errors but "a salt" made me laugh.

Tipys
Thu May 14th, 2009, 07:42 AM
What can I say thats what my spell check on my computer came up with and you know what I am willing to bet you still knew what I was talking about. Right?

Sean
Thu May 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Maybe it's my luck, but MOST of the cyclists I see blatantly run lights, stop signs, obstruct traffic (2+ wide), and weave between lanes. Just generally arrogant a-hole behavoir.I saw this behavior multiple time on the way to work this morning. My commute is 1.5 miles :shocked: To enforce "share the road" it needs to go both ways. Last night riding to Bostons, our group would always get to the left hand side of the lane when there was a cyclist on the road. Would they have done that if the roles were reversed? Were all other cars as cutious...probably not.

MattTLS
Thu May 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
yep, a salt and pepperspray is here

DavidofColorado
Thu May 14th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Assault is a tricky word for sure. I think its comes from the german ass hault which means tapping der ass. But I could be wrong. If fact I think I just made that up.

Well if I beat the hell out of someone just to watch him cry I will be sure to ask if he's gay or a rides a bicycle and then say sorry but it had nothing to do with those things. I beat him up for going 20mph for the last 20 miles.

MetaLord 9
Thu May 14th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Assault is a tricky word for sure. I think its comes from the german ass hault which means tapping der ass. But I could be wrong. If fact I think I just made that up.

Well if I beat the hell out of someone just to watch him cry I will be sure to ask if he's gay or a rides a bicycle and then say sorry but it had nothing to do with those things. I beat him up for going 20mph for the last 20 miles.
yet another quality post from dod...

:jerkoff:

DavidofColorado
Fri May 15th, 2009, 02:07 AM
yet another quality post from dod...

:jerkoff:

If you don't understand it maybe you could just judge it anyway. :cry: