PDA

View Full Version : CO Motorcycle Laws

Nhsk8r20
Tue May 12th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Since im new to the motorcycle scene and also to CO. What are some of the laws here, like parking on sidewalks and parking in general?

FZRguy
Tue May 12th, 2009, 08:53 PM
You can get a ticket for parking on the sidewalk. I occasionally still do it, short term.

Nhsk8r20
Tue May 12th, 2009, 08:56 PM
ok, i was wondering b/c i have seen people do it and what not in front of walmarts and diners and stuff like that.

TurboGizzmo
Tue May 12th, 2009, 09:34 PM
normally on private property they have to call a officer to do the ticketing.....seems youre damned if you do or damned if you dont. I use to get yelled at and dirty looks if i took a close parking space with my bike (when i had it :( )

Zach929rr
Tue May 12th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I park at the front of buildings all the time (King Soops, Wally World). Haven't got as much as a dirty look yet. People usually just check out da bike.

FZRguy
Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Saves a spot for a cage...

Gregger
Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I sure wish they'd bring lane splitting to CO.. That shaved 1/2 hour off my commute in CA!

willb003
Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I sure wish they'd bring lane splitting to CO.. That shaved 1/2 hour off my commute in CA!

+1

vmax2003
Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM
if you go downtown they will give you a ticket but there are a few places there in front of certain clubs that have signs out allowing bikes to park on their sidwalks.

Nhsk8r20
Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM
if you go downtown they will give you a ticket but there are a few places there in front of certain clubs that have signs out allowing bikes to park on their sidwalks.

Yea, i saw that down around blake street by coors field. I hoping to get a job at the Icehouse resturant and when i get my bike i dont want to have to worry about feeding a meter and what not

vmax2003
Tue May 12th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Yea, i saw that down around blake street by coors field. I hoping to get a job at the Icehouse resturant and when i get my bike i dont want to have to worry about feeding a meter and what not

i have a friend of mine that works at the italian eatery across from union station and he paks his bike right up to the front doors....lol. no one says anything to him.

kawasakirob
Wed May 13th, 2009, 01:42 AM

Yeah no kidding. It would also free up alot of spaces for cars. 1 less bike in the lane means quicker destination time for cars. Get the bikes out of the way and save some space. In california it works killer, semis even move out of the way. It would help out a ton. But if cars are running into people without lane splitting, how many accidents would there be if it was legal?

Kim-n-Dean
Wed May 13th, 2009, 12:35 PM
We had some dude from one of the restaurants at the Promenade tell us to go ahead and park on the sidewalk so we wouldn't have to worry about drunk peeps hitting our bikes. All three of us came out to $135 tickets on our bikes.

We were sitting on the patio about five feet from the oink cadet's who wrote the tickets. Three bikes, three helmets. It's not rocket science!!They could have asked us to move. They never said shit! That's probably part of their training.

ghostrider_9
Wed May 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM
The correct technical answer is this:

You can park anything on the sidewalk that is 49cc's or less. On the other hand, if it is private property you can park anywhere the owner allows, which explains why some places allow you to park on the sidewalk. If you got a ticket while not on public property, then I would challenge it.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sun May 17th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Some other laws for Colorado...scroll towards the bottom.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=CO

wankel7
Sun May 17th, 2009, 10:58 PM
How about a redlight that just won't change for you . Are you allowed to run it?

rforsythe
Mon May 18th, 2009, 11:07 AM
How about a redlight that just won't change for you . Are you allowed to run it?

Not necessarily... I'd say it depends on the mood of the cop who saw you do it, how safely you made it through the intersection, whether there were alternatives, etc. I think cops understand sometimes bikes just get a shit deal with lights, so as long as you really give it time and aren't a reckless ass about it, you're probably going to be ok.

Zach929rr
Mon May 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Get some neodymium magnets from united nuclear! :lol: