PDA

View Full Version : can anyone answer this??

Sin
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 07:49 PM
i have a 2002 cbr f4i with 9k miles on it.. i just bought and curious when im at a dead stop and i have it in nuetral and try to shift to second the transmission refuses it with a light clikin sound.. im not sure if this is a saftey or if its normal.. but has no problem shifting through nuetral to second when im moving... but seems to not want to go from nuatral to second anyones suggestions would be great

Brizz
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I think i have it figured out..........Its a HONDUH

COGIXX
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 08:51 PM
2 things come to mind... both revolve around the clutch...

1) There is some possible cable stretch (if I remember correctly and it's a cable and not hydrolic...) and you should try adjusting the cable with the adjustment barrel at the lever... turn it out a few rotations and see what happens...

2) there is a possibility that the clutch itself is starting to show signs of wear, you might just need to replace the springs...

Question I have.. is this a very recent problem or has it been like this all along, or has it been progressively getting worse over time...??

Cyalaytr
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 08:52 PM
first you may want to look at why you are in neutral at a stop light and or then going to 2nd from neutral. And I hate to say it but when Brizz said "its a Honda" he may be right. Honda tranny's havent always been know for precise shifting and or may have a CLUNK when going from neutral to first gear. It is normal. As long as it isnt popping out of gear I wouldnt worry about it. Now back to that who shifting to 2nd gear from neutral??? WHY would you want to?

Sin
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 08:55 PM
heh had the bike for a week havnt had much of a chance to tell... i think it may have to do with the clutch some way shape or form pretty sure its not tranny it doesnt pop outa gear it just feels like maybe the clutch isnt disingaging all the way and the lever only has 3/8s inch of free play only thing i can think of is the adjument of the barrel on the lower end.. but that requirs fairing removals... it shifts through nuatral just fine in second... but even when im going if im coasting in nuetral.. and try to clutch to put in second it cliks and doesnt wanna go in

Sin
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 08:56 PM
even when im coasting in nuetral... it doesnt do it everytime... tranny feels strong just feels like im not clutching hard enuff but its maxed

Cyalaytr
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 09:01 PM
if it is a cable clutch you can try adjusting it if not you can bleed your system and replace the fluid (being careful not to make it worse then it is now by getting air into the lines. Also you may look at stiffer spings and or new clutch plates. Does it slip when you are in gear and the level is pulled in?

Sin
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM
no slip.. clutch feels strong thats why i dont really understand the prob.. it has 3/8s of play just like honda standards want it

Sparker
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 09:53 PM
when your coasting in neutral in neutral and you try to click it into first or second your gonna have to jam it in there. its like when your accelerating really hard. miss 2nd and hit neutral and dont try to click it back in right away and coast for a little while. you might as well come to a dead stop and then shift or live with that horrible sound that comes from ur tranny......but my question is why would you go into 2nd from a stop in neutral anyways? i dont think ive ever even tried it.

Anonymous
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Post subject: can anyone answer this??

I can!!! :D

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=32527#32527

At least you posted in the right forum! :up: :D

Oh, try letting your clutch out a bit (anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 way out). I've had similar problems on a couple of bikes when it wouldn't engage easily even into first & from a dead stop. Letting the clutch out a bit solved the problem. I don't know the technical explanation as to why this is, I think it gets things synched up (spinning?) & lets things happen. 8)

firefghtr
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 10:12 PM
dude youv'e got clutch problems..... that sucks

mikesf4i
Mon Feb 7th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Basically all of the gears and stuff spinning around in your transmission need to be spinning at close to the same speed to engage. Even when your clutch is disengaged there is enough drag and friction to spin your gears in your transmission. At idle in neutral the only gear that is spinning close to the right speed is first gear. Second gear is not spinning at a close enough speed to properly engage. The solution to your problem is to not shift into second gear when in neutral. Remember this is a sequential gearbox and does not have the sychronizers that a car manual transmission has.

Sin
Tue Feb 8th, 2005, 05:03 AM
alright then... thanks to you all.. i just didnt know if it was normal cause i know i can be in my car and be in whatever gear i want as long as the clutch is pushed in i didnt think it mattered but ill try not to nuetral second it anymore

Hoopty
Tue Feb 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Try giving it some gas and then see what happens. :idea:

BigE
Wed Feb 9th, 2005, 08:56 AM
And just to throw it out there...
There ARE bikes with "neutral finders" where it's made not to shift to second at a stop. Not sure of the mechanics of those but it's supposed to be a "helpful" feature so you don't go to stop and bump the tranny into second when trying to find neutral. I thought Kawi's had them, not sure about others.

And as an aside, on dirt bikes there are many times when you take off in second, like leaving the starting line of a race :) On my KX500 I could even pull third gear starts!
On a street bike...well, I guess if you had lowered gearing and were racing ya could maybe do it. Probably fry the clutch pretty good though :D

KooLaid
Wed Feb 9th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Yeah, try easing out ur clutch a bit. Just pull in slightly to load the clutch a bit. Same technique is used when u pull to a stop and forget to shift to neutral or a low gear.

Something also tells me, you probably have NO PLAY at the end of ur clutch lever, you need 1/4-1/2 inch i believe.

Sin
Wed Feb 9th, 2005, 07:16 PM
i got 3/8s of play at the end like the book says... but i cant say that i really like it the guy before me had like inch or so and was alot more confortable but figured i better go by the book

KooLaid
Wed Feb 9th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Well that's still a good amount, I run more than 1/2" of play. You only tap it a little bit at most when u ride anyways, and I HATE how it feels to have ur hand wide open reaching for the clutch. That's absolute crap how some folks do that.