PDA

View Full Version : Day 1 of MSF

Nhsk8r20
Sat May 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I had my first day of the MSF course today. I aced the written part. This is the first time i have ridden a motorcycle so it was strange at first. Took me about an 30 mins or so to get my balance and getting used to the position. Very fun class so far and some parts were difficult. I think that the MSF course is actually harder than riding on the real road.

Zach929rr
Sat May 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Figure 8 is ghey. :lol:

willb003
Sat May 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Now your addicted! and I have to say the figure 8 was easy.

Zach929rr
Sat May 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Well if was so easy come fix my right clip on. Now.

Nhsk8r20
Sat May 16th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Now your addicted! and I have to say the figure 8 was easy.

we didnt do figure 8s...the teacher says they arent allowed to do them anymore.

Zach929rr
Sat May 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Interesting... I know it was an MSF course, but did you go through a different organization such as ABATE?

Nhsk8r20
Sat May 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
no...just went to T3RG website and booked there

Pharmgirl
Sat May 16th, 2009, 07:27 PM
What!??? No box??? Ghey!

willb003
Sat May 16th, 2009, 08:10 PM
really? I mean i understand why I saw more people putting there feet down in there than any where else, but still gotta learn it

= Buckeye Jess =
Sat May 16th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Wow...no figure 8's huh? Interesting... they were still doing them last year!

Nhsk8r20
Sat May 16th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Wow...no figure 8's huh? Interesting... they were still doing them last year!

we did like a x crossing with all of us going at once but just not a figure 8.

Dietrich_R1
Sat May 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM
When I did the course it was a BLAST!!!

There was a guy we called PORKY! He had a huge Nose Ring & didn't listen at all! Well, he was able to ride his bike across a HUGE lot into a curb, bounce up & find the only light pole within a mile radius & smuck into it. He cracked his helmet along with the forks of the bike. He was "kindly" asked to remove himself from the range & not come back!

I enjoyed the course so much I took the advanced course. You do more difficult maneuvers, but do what you can with your own bike. You have nothing to prove on the range.

Well, once again there was a guy with an R1, which was relatively new back then. I think it was only out a couple years I believe. He would accelerate really fast for something he would be making a quick stop for 20 yards down range. He ended up doing a STOP-PY, bike straight up & going over. He was able to push the bike back on his tipi toes while still holding the bars. Always fun to watch.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

Nhsk8r20
Sun May 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Well I passed the riding part of the MSF. It was fairly simply. We had to do four exercises. Doing U turns, swerving, quick stop, and 1 turn. Overall im glad i took the class and cant wait to get my first bike!

willb003
Sun May 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
What you gonna get for a first bike? cause I gots a nice ninja 500 for sale

BeoBe
Sun May 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Figure 8 is ghey. :lol:

i have to agree with that one... yea... man i remember when i was learning to ride.. course my first ride was a dirt bike

brennahm
Sun May 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I loved the MSF course. Especially the exam. My best friend decided he didn't like the tail light on his Nighthawk 250 and dragged it 50 feet across the lot on his way out of the figure 8 box. 2 girls in the class immediately started crying. Good times...

Nhsk8r20
Sun May 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM
What you gonna get for a first bike? cause I gots a nice ninja 500 for sale

Honestly, im not really sure yet. Im pretty sure that im too big for a 250 so i just have to figure out what i want. I have my eye on a few different things.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sun May 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Honestly, im not really sure yet. Im pretty sure that im too big for a 250 so i just have to figure out what i want. I have my eye on a few different things.

Glad you passed. Good job!

A bit of advice...take it or leave it. Being that you've never rode a motorcycle before this class you're gonna get lots of opinions thrown your way on what to buy and such. Whenever you get what you're gonna get, I would suggest to start doing some easy riding on your neighborhood roads for awhile first. After you're comfortable with that, move up to some of the main streets, and then on to the larger main arteries and interstates after your comfortable. The gradual step up approach gets you comfortable with the bike, its operation and handling, and the minimal traffic and lets you graduate up to more involved tasks and more traffic.

Just an opinion...

Good luck and have fun!

willb003
Sun May 17th, 2009, 07:26 PM
sv650 are good bikes as well

Casper
Sun May 17th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm 210 and I've taken a 250 out on an interstate several times. There's no such thing as "too big" for a 250, and that's an attitude that'll get you in trouble starting on a bigger bike. That little ninja was awesomely lightweight, cheap, and now on its fourth owner (my brother) it's survived like 6 drops from everyone that learns on it and it'll still sell close to what I got it for.

GrlRdr
Sun May 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
No more figure 8???? No fair! I took my class last year and I hated that part!!!!

Bueller
Sun May 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM
They did figure 8's in the ABATE class a couple weeks ago, you got burned.

puckstr
Sun May 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM

I have a 600RR with your name all over it........303-882-8697
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/59/l_df91683f1e9c27f304ef9903758c74d4.jpg

Nhsk8r20
Sun May 17th, 2009, 11:29 PM

A bit of advice...take it or leave it. Being that you've never rode a motorcycle before this class you're gonna get lots of opinions thrown your way on what to buy and such. Whenever you get what you're gonna get, I would suggest to start doing some easy riding on your neighborhood roads for awhile first. After you're comfortable with that, move up to some of the main streets, and then on to the larger main arteries and interstates after your comfortable. The gradual step up approach gets you comfortable with the bike, its operation and handling, and the minimal traffic and lets you graduate up to more involved tasks and more traffic.

Just an opinion...

Good luck and have fun!

no worries...that was my plan to start with anyway...thats how i learned to drive my first 5speed car also. As to the 250 answer, im around 260 and 6ft tall. We didnt do figure 8s but he made us do left and right hand u turns in sequence just not a full figure 8

MetaLord 9
Mon May 18th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Think the fig 8 is ghey on a little 250 or class bike? try it on your regular street bike when ya do the exp rider course...that sucks. eventually you just end up pinning your own hand & trying not to stall it :lol:

Devaclis
Mon May 18th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I used to think the figure 8 was useless. I now use some of what I had learned performing the figure 8 in the MSF and the MSF Experienced Rider Course every day I ride.

Don't know it just because you are scared to do it. Getting rid of the figure 8 is another indicator of the pussification of this country.

ZiaThunder
Mon May 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM
we didnt do figure 8s...the teacher says they arent allowed to do them anymore.

Now that's BS. They are violating the curriculum if they aren't doing the u turns.

UglykidJoe
Mon May 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM

That is exactly how I went about it. Probably very sound advice for anyone who has never ridden before. I took the course last May, bought my bike one week later, and it was 2 weeks after that before I got on the highway, and when I did get on the highway it was early on a Sunday morning. I rode all the way to work and back, (35 miles one way) felt comfortable enough to do it in morning traffic, and have been doing it since. Good luck on your new ride, be safe and have fun.

TFOGGuys
Mon May 18th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Further advice (worth exactly what you're paying for it) from a 25 year rider: Buy USED, and with as little bodywork as your ego will allow (Think EX500, GS500E, Naked Bandit, Naked SV650), as it will most likely hit the ground, most likely at parking lot speeds (low speeds are hardest to control), and it flat sux ass to have to shell out $1500 for body repairs because you accidentally tipped the thing over at 3 miles an hour.

milehicitygirl
Mon May 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Further advice (worth exactly what you're paying for it) from a 25 year rider: Buy USED, and with as little bodywork as your ego will allow (Think EX500, GS500E, Naked Bandit, Naked SV650), as it will most likely hit the ground, most likely at parking lot speeds (low speeds are hardest to control), and it flat sux ass to have to shell out $1500 for body repairs because you accidentally tipped the thing over at 3 miles an hour.

+1

Reyven
Mon May 18th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Where was your class at?

Nhsk8r20
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Where was your class at?

It was through T3RG and it was at the Aurora Town Center