PDA

View Full Version : Flying out of Springs airport - need some advice.

McVaaahhh
Sun May 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I've got a flight at 1:30 on Frontier tomorrow out of the Colorado Springs airport. I've never flown out of there so any advice on security, parking, etc?

Thanks,
Brian

The Black Knight
Sun May 17th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Are you flying from Denver down to the Springs? just curious as if you are, then you usually just have to deal with the long checks at one airport. Lay overs you just head to your next flight.

If you're taking a direct flight from Colorado Springs, then the wait is about average. It's been awhile since I've flown but my mother flew to Texas last year and I think she had about an hour wait. Lot can depend on the time of day too.

Better safe than sorry and I'd plan on some extra time just to get through all the security checks and what not.

JohnEffinK
Sun May 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
CS airport is easy.

Parking is one big lot divided by short term and long term. The shuttle is responsive as in I have never had to wait for one longer than a few minutes. Or you could walk, it is not that far. Shuttle person will give you a slip of paper when you board that tells you where you parked.

Check in is dependent on the time though. If you are not checking a bag it is way quick. Checking a bag a bit longer. Not sure if Frontier has an auto check in kiosk.

Security is at worst probably a 20-30 minute wait. I have always gotten through in 15 worst.

John

jimwallace
Sun May 17th, 2009, 05:01 PM
diddo, springs airport is smooth and quick......so far its my favorite airport i have been to.....and i have been to quite a few.

McVaaahhh
Sun May 17th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Cool, thanks for the help guys.

I guess you southies aren't ALL bad. :D

McVaaahhh
Sun May 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM
What's the best way to get there from I-25? (I'm coming from Denver)

Thanks.

Tipys
Sun May 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Hey Brian take MLK to powers take a right south on powers then it is down 3 lights I believe. And if you remember when you came to my house to pick up that R6 powers is 2 lights past the 2nd 711

The Black Knight
Sun May 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
What's the best way to get there from I-25? (I'm coming from Denver)

Thanks.
Straightest shot would be. Exit I25 at Interquest. Head East and stay on Interquest(eventhough it turns in Hwy 83), until you hit Powers Blvd(you'll see the exit ramp at the light). Make a right onto Powers head South(about 10 miles), until Drennan Rd. Then take a Left, and head East again and it will run you right into the Airport.

That's how I'd do it. Save you having to come down I25 through town to MLK bypass heading East. To many jogs and lots of lights. Once you get to Chelton on MLK/Fountain it's 5 or 6 lights just to Powers and depending on the time of day, traffic through there can be heavy. At least Powers from Interquest is a straight shot eventhough it has lots of lights too.

Tipys
Sun May 17th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Straightest shot would be. Exit I25 at Interquest. Head East and stay on Interquest(eventhough it turns in Hwy 83), until you hit Powers Blvd(you'll see the exit ramp at the light). Make a right onto Powers head South(about 10 miles), until Drennan Rd. Then take a Left, and head East again and it will run you right into the Airport.

That's how I'd do it. Save you having to come down I25 through town to MLK bypass heading East. To many jogs and lots of lights. Once you get to Chelton on MLK/Fountain it's 5 or 6 lights just to Powers and depending on the time of day, traffic through there can be heavy. At least Powers from Interquest is a straight shot eventhough it has lots of lights too.

I disagree there is alot more lights taking powers all the way down. Also traffic is just as bad on powers. I guess I noticed this because I have been taking MLK to and from work for the past 4 years.

The Black Knight
Sun May 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I disagree there is alot more lights taking powers all the way down. Also traffic is just as bad on powers. I guess I noticed this because I have been taking MLK to and from work for the past 4 years.

True, but using the MLK swings you way into town. If he's not familiar with the Springs, straightest shot(not having to leave one road basically) is still Powers from Interquest. Never said it would be the fastest(I'm sure they are about the same in time, with even Powers from Interquest being a tad longer due to all the lights) but it is the straightest route.

MLK is nice, during certain times. When I've been on it(while at work) throughout the day, I've noticed it gets jammed up bad during the later part of the morning and after lunch hour into the 2 or 3PM hour. I think Powers is quick until you get to Barnes or a little further down at Constitution(is where it really can get heavy) but once pasted Galley Rd. you really fly.

Either way, the Airport is the on the Southeast side of the City and really no route is super quick, when coming from I-25.

dallas
Mon May 18th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I would have to second the MLK bypass route. You just get off at MLK follow it all the way to Powers and then take Powers south to Milton E. Proby/Drennon. There is way too much congestion and stoplights on Powers. I-25 usually flows pretty freely through town, unless there is an accident, and taking the MLK bypass, there are airport signs to guide you in.