PDA

View Full Version : GPS

Krafty-1
Mon May 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Didn't know what section to put this in. Does anyone have any recommendations on GPS. I was looking at the Garmin Nuvi 760, but then found a Garmin that was made just for bikes. Anyone have any thoughts/bad experiences?

Devaclis
Mon May 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I LOVE my Garmin 2720 Street Pilot with RAM mount. Large touch screen, inexpensive (I paid $107 for mine and $35 for the mount)

I recommend that you hard wire any GPS to your bike. The 12v lighter adapters do not hold up very well.

I can take pics of my setup if you want.

Check out this forum :)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

rforsythe
Mon May 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM
You take any steps to waterproof your GPS Dana? That's the only reason I'd personally want more of a motorcycle-specific version.

Devaclis
Mon May 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM
The connector on the back of the UPS is pretty water resistant to start with. Once I mount it permanently I will either use hot glue or a gasket sealer around it. Total water proofing is tough on a touchscreen GPS but I have seen people do it with shrink wrap. takes a few tries to do it so it looks really nice.

Krafty-1
Mon May 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Good point. I never though of it being water proof. I'm going to have to think about it more, but come to think I don't think that I'll be out in the rain much.

Devaclis
Mon May 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Wrap it in a ziplock bag when it rains or put it in your pocket. You cannot read them when they have the screen covered in water anyway. It also makes for a pretty dangerous ride, messing with a GPS in the rain.

Devaclis
Mon May 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Just an FYI, google Garmin 2720 and Waterproof. You will see it is a pretty solid unit with very few failures.

rforsythe
Mon May 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Wrap it in a ziplock bag when it rains or put it in your pocket. You cannot read them when they have the screen covered in water anyway. It also makes for a pretty dangerous ride, messing with a GPS in the rain.

I agree, and while I don't necessarily seek out crappy weather, I also don't want to be freaking out to get my GPS covered up when it happens; IMO that can be just as dangerous. When I do my big trip up through WA/OR there's gonna be rain too, it's just unavoidable. ;)

Just an FYI, google Garmin 2720 and Waterproof. You will see it is a pretty solid unit with very few failures.

Good to know. :up:

InlineSIX24
Mon May 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I had found a site that was selling clear vinyl covers for touchscreen, but that doesn't solve the shock problem if you want to use it for dual sport or offroad. Seems like the best option is still something like the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX or 76CSX, or the 2720 like Dana mentioned. The CSX is mil-spec and shock/water resistant. I like my Mio 320 which is around $100 online but haven't found a clear case for that model yet.