PDA

View Full Version : Great ride, unpleasant surprise...

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon May 18th, 2009, 09:10 PM
So I went out and about just wandering on the bike today when I found myself in Pine Junction (I think that's the name??) on 285 and remember seeing that heading down Pine Valley Rd was supposed to be a nice bike ride. So I figured I'd give it a shot. Holy crap...what a beautiful ride!!! It runs the whole gamut...some sweepers, some sharper twisties, lakes, rivers/creeks, mountains and unfortunately the Deckers fire area. I really wish I'd had my SLR camera with me instead of my pocket Fuji, but I'll post what few pics I got as soon as I download them to the puter.

The bad part of the day tho was a mere 4 miles south of 285. I pop over a hill and see a bunch of vehicles parked in the right lane and one lonely emergency vehicle's flashing lights. I had that sinking feeling in my tummy as someone flagged me over. He apologized and said that they were going to be a few minutes. I parked the bike and took my helmet off and asked if it was a biker. He said it was, but he didn't know what happened, just said it looked bad. He commented on all of my gear and I told him that I wear it b/c I've picked up too many brains of riders w/out gear off the roads. When he found out I was a medic he asked if I could go help them out (turns out he was a volunteer FF waiting on the EMS to arrive.) I told him I could help if they really needed me, but thank god that is when the ambulance arrived. They were onscene all of five minutes and hauled ass down the hill to fly the rider to a trauma center. They let me walk around the scene to see what happened and it turns out he hit a deer. The deer was dead and the poor rider's bike was tossed down the mountain side. Had to suck to pull that thing back up! Anyway, the rider was alive at that point (they don't fly bodies ya know...) so here's to hoping for a speedy recovery whoever you are!!

The lesson in my rambling post? Pine Valley Rd from Pine Junction all the way to Woodland Park is a great ride. Lesson two... deer are all over the phucking place and are not our friends. I surely didn't expect one to be in that particular spot, but they are everywhere!

fullgrownbear
Mon May 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I almost hit a deer on that road..

It is gorgeous, but at a costly price. Please be safe out there guys. I still find myself traveling too fast on that road!

Ceez
Mon May 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Prayers with the rider and his family, hopefully for a full and speedy recovery.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon May 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I almost hit a deer on that road..

It is gorgeous, but at a costly price. Please be safe out there guys. I still find myself traveling too fast on that road!
Heck yeah... I wasn't going very fast to start off since I had no idea what the road was like...but that sure as hell slowed me waaaay down. I was able to speed up in the burn areas tho...nowhere for those suckers to hide! lmao

chad23
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
that sucks hope the rider heals quick.
Do those deer thingies you put on the bumper of cars work? I've seen them in stores but have never seen one used even on a car

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM
that sucks hope the rider heals quick.
Do those deer thingies you put on the bumper of cars work? I've seen them in stores but have never seen one used even on a car
My grandmother always had them on her car! lol
I read somewhere that they are actually useless, but I can't reference the article for you - sorry!

Zach929rr
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Here you go Jess: http://www.deercrash.com/Toolbox/CMToolboxWhistles.pdf

Skip to table one...

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Ah well...there ya go! Thanks Zach!

derekm
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM
best wishes!

Cars-R-Coffins
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
You need one of these...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6903052464745557505

WU-WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :shocked:

Zach929rr
Mon May 18th, 2009, 11:01 PM
^^^ rofl.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon May 18th, 2009, 11:29 PM
lmao...kudos to whomever it was that added the text to the bottom....never seen ebonics written for an interview! lmao

RajunCajun
Tue May 19th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I just got back from Oakland this morning and let me tell you, that IS how it is overthere! I didn't, however, see or hear any of the Whowooooo!

sfarson
Tue May 19th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Yes, came across that accident this afternoon. Rider was in a gurney, stabilized, and they were preparing to place him in the truck for the ride to the copter. Could you tell the kind of bike and if the rider was wearing protection? Were you standing by the green Kawasaki? Was unsettling to pass through.

GixxerCarrie
Tue May 19th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I've been 2 bikes behind when this happened(Christian Cowboy was with me)..and it was an ELK. Its one of the most scariest experiences ever. What was it Chris said the other day..its Dusk. They call it Deer Creek for a reason. Even thought we only saw a fox that night...I had my eyes peeled. Its not something I ever want to see again. The guy I knew turned out ok...the bike a gonzer.

TFOGGuys
Tue May 19th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Deer are Evil:

http://www.minicassettetees.com/images/EvilDeer.jpg

vmax2003
Tue May 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM
how long of a ride was that?

Troy.N
Tue May 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Always be careful out there guys. Ride slow, steady pace just enjoy the scenery. If you want fast!!! do it in the track, like me lol. See out there.... enjoy.

Jason ON
Tue May 19th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Having been hit by a deer all I can say is Wow. Hopefully he pulls through. I definitely have my eyes open to deer possibilities all the time, now.

= Buckeye Jess =
Tue May 19th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Yes, came across that accident this afternoon. Rider was in a gurney, stabilized, and they were preparing to place him in the truck for the ride to the copter. Could you tell the kind of bike and if the rider was wearing protection? Were you standing by the green Kawasaki? Was unsettling to pass through.
Yes, that was me on the green Ninja with the obnoxious hi-viz yellow vest on. The firefighter actually wanted me to stick near him after I looked around so traffic would notice us quicker. lol
I did not get a chance to see what/if any gear the rider was wearing, but his bike looked like it was probably a standard or maybe a smaller cruiser. It was hard to tell being wadded up and being way down the embankment. However, I watched a biker turn down Pine Valley not too far ahead of me and if it was him, he had a leather jacket and either a brain bucket, or three quarter helmet on with eye protection. Were you with the group of two that passed through or by yourself? A few bikes passed by after I got there.

how long of a ride was that?
Hmm...hard to tell since I had to stop for the wreck on the way down and I kept stopping for pics and to look around on the way back up. I even fueled up in Woodland Park and I'm brain farting on the mileage now! Doh! lol
Here's one link about the route:
http://www.motorcyclecolorado.com/deckers_area_colorado_highway_67.htm
And I actually found the route on http://www.openroadjourney.com (http://www.openroadjourney.com/) but the site is froggy right now and I can't pull the route up. It said that it takes between 2-4 hours...but it certainly didn't feel that long! lol

Slo
Tue May 19th, 2009, 11:57 AM
edited....got ninja'd

= Buckeye Jess =
Tue May 19th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Was black and either like a standard or smaller cruiser Jay...very hard to tell from my vantage point. I really tried to look, but just couldn't tell unfortunately.