PDA

View Full Version : computer geeks - help! lol

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
So yeah... I have an older PC that has all of the memory card slots, but apparently they have old drivers as it can't read my SDHC card. My problem is that I evidently lost the USB cord that fits my camera to let me use it as a card reader. Are there any drivers out there for download to allow me to read an SDHC card? Or do I have to go out and buy a dang external reader? :cry:

Foolds
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:04 PM
You should be able to update the drivers. What operating system are you on?

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM
The PC is WinXP. I went to HP's site and downloaded a driver, but I'm going to hunt around and see if there is another one...

Foolds
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Try this. Go to control panel, system, Device manager. Then you will need to find your flash card reader under the different devices. Right click on it once you find it and click update driver. Let it connect to window's online and see if it has a newer driver.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Was actually doing that as you posted this... and it didn't find any updates. grrr!

Foolds
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM
arg. try the manufacture of the computers support site for the computer model

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon May 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Did that as well with no luck. *sighs*
I'm wondering if there is a generic download out there, but I imagine it would have to be device specific. Alas.... gonna have to start taping those cords to the puter so they can't sprout legs and walk away on me! lol
Thanks for your help Foolds!

THE3BS
Mon May 18th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Does the slot read SD cards?

The lady has an Acer Aspire One and it has two separate SD slots. One reads SD only and the other can read SDHC. I don't understand why it is setup like this... But.. that's how it's made. The SDHC slot seems to be backwards compatable and reads regular SD fine but the SD slot will not read SDHC.

Is it possible your reader doesn;t support SDHC?

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon May 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM
No, it doesn't. I was hoping that it would be a simple driver upgrade, but it doesn't look like that is the case.
Yeah, makes no sense to have both slots, everything I've read states that the SDHC readers will read plain ol' SD as well.... who knows? lol

Panman06
Tue May 19th, 2009, 12:39 AM
SDHC readers will read SD; however, SD readers can't read SDHC. What type of USB does the camera use? Mini or micro? If you google, you can find a pic of the different ends.

~Barn~
Tue May 19th, 2009, 06:21 AM
It could be a proprietary cord as well. Not all manufacturers universally stick to micro/mini USB, on the camera-side connection. :dunno:

= Buckeye Jess =
Tue May 19th, 2009, 11:24 AM
It's a tiny ass little plug on the camera end. I think I remember where the cord is at now - just have to make a trek to go see.

Violator
Tue May 19th, 2009, 11:30 AM
If you have time, stop by in my office
1602 S Parker Rd., suite 210
Denver, CO 80231
720.222.0110 ext 1
I have some cables will try to match it or fix it other way

Call me when you will be able to stop by , so dont leave for lunch :)

Troy.N
Tue May 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM
So yeah... I have an older PC that has all of the memory card slots, but apparently they have old drivers as it can't read my SDHC card. My problem is that I evidently lost the USB cord that fits my camera to let me use it as a card reader. Are there any drivers out there for download to allow me to read an SDHC card? Or do I have to go out and buy a dang external reader? :cry:

To make things easier and not hard just buy yourself another usb cord.... problem solved.

FZ1Guy
Tue May 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM
yea, most camera download cords will work. Borrow a cord from work or friend and you will know if a standard camera cords work. They are pretty cheap and easy to find. Good Luck! :)

DevilsTonic
Tue May 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
SDHC readers will read SD; however, SD readers can't read SDHC. What type of USB does the camera use? Mini or micro? If you google, you can find a pic of the different ends.What he said! :)

Violator
Tue May 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
SDHC - SD High Capacity Cards (over 2GB)

:::::::

SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity, SD 2.0) is an extension of the SD standard which increases card's storage capacity up to 32GB. SDHC cards shares the same physical and electrical form factor as older (SD 1.x) cards, allowing SDHC-devices to support both newer SDHC cards and older SD-cards. To increase addressable storage, SDHC uses sector-addressing instead of byte-addressing in the previous SD standard. Byte-addressing supported card capacities up to 2GB, whereas sector-addressing can theoretically support capacities up to 2 TB (2048 GB). The current standard limits the maximum capacity of an SDHC card to 32 GB[16]. (It is expected that the SDHC specification will be revised in the future to allow card capacities greater than 32 GB.[17] ) SDHC cards will not work in devices designed to the older SD 1.x specification. The SDHC trademark is licensed to ensure compatibility