PDA

View Full Version : Ticket reduction for first time offense?

Priller_Nate
Tue May 19th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I just recently got my very first ticket in 21 years of driving in my car. I was doing 57 in a 45 zone and got a 4pt ticket here in Colorado Springs. Thank you "Colorado Springs money making machine" (aka bike cop). I do feel honored as it truly MUST be all about safety. Nevermind the guy directly in front of me doing at least 65mph and making erratic lane changes.

I haven't paid the fine yet. Just yesterday I get a "good driver" plea bargain in the mail. It says I can get a lesser offense (unsafe vehicle operation - 2 points). I would however pay the original fine but get the charge ammended to reflect the plea deal (if I accepted).

I will only be in Colorado for 3 more months before moving out of state to Florida and becoming a legal resident there. I'm wondering if it is the smart move to just go ahead and accept the plea, which is a NON-moving violation and would not increase my insurance premiums and not fiddle with court or if I should go down there on court day. If I did go down, what is it likely that I would get the original charge reduced to (including points)? I'd rather not have to deal with the B.S. of court but if I could get it reduced to say zero points it may be worth my time.

Thanks for any help from the veterans! :)

zetaetatheta
Tue May 19th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I just recently got my very first ticket in 21 years of driving in my car. I was doing 57 in a 45 zone and got a 4pt ticket here in Colorado Springs. Thank you "Colorado money makiing machine" (aka bike cop). I do feel honored as it truly MUST be all about safety. Nevermind the guy directly in front of me doing at least 65mph.

I haven't paid the fine yet. Just yesterday I get a "good driver" plea bargain in the mail. It says I can get a lesser offense (unsafe vehicle operation - 2 points). I would however pay the original fine but get the charge ammended to reflect the plea deal (if I accepted).

I will only be in Colorado for 3 more months before moving out of state to Florida and becoming a legal resident there. I'm wondering if it is the smart move to just go ahead and accept the plea, which is a NON-moving violation and would not increase my insurance premiums and not fiddle with court or if I should go down there on court day. If I did go down, what is it likely that I would get the original charge reduced to (including points)? I'd rather not have to deal with the B.S. of court but if I could get it reduced to say zero points it may be worth my time.

Thanks for any help from the veterans! :)

I would pay and take the 2 pt reduction. Sitting in a court room all day is a drag, and time is money. Plus look at all the money you'll save in Florida with no state income tax.

Sully
Tue May 19th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Sometimes if you go in and talk to the D.A. (occasionally the plea bargain is already set up and the clerk just offers it to you), they often reduce the points to 2 or 1 (if it's under 20 mph over) and lessen the fine as well. Depending on the county, you never know.

dirkterrell
Tue May 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM

That right there refutes the nonsense that speeding tickets are about public safety and not revenue generation. "You were speeding but we'll give you a "good driver" points discount if you pay the full fine."

Dirk

Graphite675
Tue May 19th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I'm in the same boat. Just moved here from Florida and haven't had a ticket in 20 years. I was going down Platte the other day (going to get a stupid VIN verification so I can register my KTM here) and got popped by a bike cop for doing 46 in a 35. I honestly thought it was still 45, I never saw the 35 and was just going with the flow of traffic. To top it off I did not have my new insurance card yet so now I have to go to court next week.

Not sure what to expect out of this? Never been to court and like I said I have a clean record.

JP

Sully
Tue May 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Graphite675 - Just take your insurance card in showing that you did in fact have insurance during the violation and they will drop the charge. I'm sure your insurance company can fax or send you a new one out asap.

JohnEffinK
Tue May 19th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Money making machine for sure.

I was popped about 8 weeks ago. I paid the fine and took the plea from 4 points to 2 points. I was speeding....and did not feel like going to court. Dude did not even cut me any slack on clocked speed....

John

Speedwagon
Tue May 19th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Sometimes if you go in and talk to the D.A. (occasionally the plea bargain is already set up and the clerk just offers it to you), they often reduce the points to 2 or 1 (if it's under 20 mph over) and lessen the fine as well. Depending on the county, you never know.

Or sometimes they just send you a 0 points plea in the mail. :shocked:

Which reminds me, I have to drop that check off today...

d3spair
Tue May 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM

They'll never lessen the fine, that's against their whole money making machine that's in place. Do however go to court as Sully said, and take a DA plea to reduce the points even further.

Jason ON
Tue May 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Priller - where in FL are you going?
Graphite - where did you come from?

You can take the two points and call it a day, or as my dad says, take it to court; there's a 50/50 chance the cop won't even show to testify against you. I personally believe everyone should go to court and clog up the system. They're counting on you paying that lower fine so they don't have to pull the officer off the street and the DA doesn't have to waste a half hour in a courtroom for a 10mph speeding violation. Worst case scenario, you have to pay the full ticket.

Graphite675
Tue May 19th, 2009, 10:37 AM

I came from the Melbourne area. East coast near the Space center

Tipys
Tue May 19th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Hold on whats this bullshit about getting Ple bargins in the mail. I have recieved more then my fare share of tickets in this town and have never gotten that before.

But anyway colorado springs is easy court really doesn't take that long the longest I have been in there was an hour. Now they will probly drop your points to zero or one if you go to court depends on the DA. There will be an extra fee as well what they call court costs which is like another 20 dollars.

Ok first ticket by CSPD 15 over 4point dropped to 1 point. 17y
Second El paso Sharffi red light that was yellow may I add 4 points dropped to 2. 17y
next 13 over mailed in 4 point to 4 points 18y
Next week 12 over mailed in 4 point to 4 points 18y
While on my red DL I got popped 14 over went to court first ticket didnt show up on the record so they didnt know I was suspended saw my. But anyway drop my 4 point ticket to 2 even with my back record and young age. 18y So all before I was 19.

Jason ON
Tue May 19th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I came from the Melbourne area. East coast near the Space center

I grew up in Palm Bay. Lockmar elementary, Stone Middle and Palm Bay High. My parents and sisters are still there.

Sully
Tue May 19th, 2009, 10:54 AM
They'll never lessen the fine, that's against their whole money making machine that's in place. Do however go to court as Sully said, and take a DA plea to reduce the points even further.

Yes, some counties do lessen the fine. Firsthand experience here! lol

Tipys
Tue May 19th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Yes, some counties do lessen the fine. Firsthand experience here! lol

Not Colorado Springs and I also hear that colorado springs has higher fines. I will find out if this is true or not july 7th

Priller_Nate
Tue May 19th, 2009, 11:18 AM

I'm going to Miami for 28 months then I'll be back to Colorado Springs.

Speedwagon
Tue May 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM

You can take the two points and call it a day, or as my dad says, take it to court; there's a 50/50 chance the cop won't even show to testify against you. I personally believe everyone should go to court and clog up the system. They're counting on you paying that lower fine so they don't have to pull the officer off the street and the DA doesn't have to waste a half hour in a courtroom for a 10mph speeding violation. Worst case scenario, you have to pay the full ticket.

Don't know about out here, but in IL that is not quite true. Worst case scenario is paying the full ticket, PLUS about $150-$250 in court costs.

Speedwagon
Tue May 19th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hold on whats this bullshit about getting Ple bargins in the mail. I have recieved more then my fare share of tickets in this town and have never gotten that before.

No it's not, I have one in my possession right now. I can even take a picture of it for ya when I get home if you like. Maybe it's because you have gotten other tickets, that you aren't getting the plea bargains?

PhL0aTeR
Tue May 19th, 2009, 12:04 PM
mail? they never once offered me something in the mail.... i always had to go down and accept my plea bargain, which sounds a lot like yours, only via mail.... Consider yourself lucky you dont have to go.... they usually lecture you in front of everyone else... lol... id take it, mail the check and call it good.

MikeG
Tue May 19th, 2009, 01:59 PM
That right there refutes the nonsense that speeding tickets are about public safety and not revenue generation. "You were speeding but we'll give you a "good driver" points discount if you pay the full fine."

Dirk
Exactly... I was ticketed last thursday on speer blvd, a guy on a scooter was directly ahead of me wearing no eye protection (the safety concern) and yet the motorcycle cop pulled me over for speeding (the revenue generator) I think he had a feeling that I would be "the big fish" and not have my endorsement to generate maximum $$ through the Denver program. He made the comment that it was "good that I had my motorcycle endorsement, because most people who ride these don't have it".

Tipys
Tue May 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM
No it's not, I have one in my possession right now. I can even take a picture of it for ya when I get home if you like. Maybe it's because you have gotten other tickets, that you aren't getting the plea bargains?

I have heard of it in other citys but never in the springs before. It has to something new I hadnt gotten a ticket in almost 2 years till last friday and it is a must go to court ticket in fremount county.

JohnEffinK
Tue May 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM
My "bargaining deal" was given to me at time of incident by El Paso County Sheriff......basically a pay in the next week and points get cut in half. I even think it was written in the comments section.... Never received anything by mail.

But paid my money to play later that day and took the points cut. I have a TX DL and after so many points they don't immediately suspend, they tax. 6pts = 100 bucks per year and $25 each addl point....

Probably ditch that license when I get my first tax notice....

John

Sully
Tue May 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I had a clean record, I think that's why I received the plea down bargain in the mail. :dunno:

And yes, if you mail your ticket within 10 days, the points usually drop down 2pts.