PDA

View Full Version : Another one rides the dust: dirt noob

sky_blue
Tue May 19th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Jumping on the bandwagon here so it seems.

Bought me a dirt bike. But Jen, I thought you wanted a BMW? Well, yeah. I did. I do. But at this point, I've fallen in love with a 1200GS...with a $17K base price.:shocked: Yeah. No. So I bought a smaller bike (for $17K, I could buy three of them really) to keep me entertained and try out the dirt thang.

Enter the 2009 KLX250S. So far I've ridden it around town, and done a few donuts in the field by my house. I'm sure I look quite the dweeb on it in my street gear. I'm using the "ride it like you stole it" break-in technique (mostly because keeping it below 5K rpm seems impossible), and I hope to hit 200 miles and change the oil this weekend.

Fun to ride. The single cylinder makes me giggle. Cracking the throttle wide open is also a hoot. Riding over bumps in the dirt is somewhat unnerving, and I keep trying to grip the tank with my knees. Also, I keep missing the pegs with my feet, as I expect the rear sets to be further back, like on my CBR.

And this morning, when I rode the poor neglected CBR, it felt like a rocketship. Moreso than usual, that is.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/sky_blue909/0516091736a.jpg

Sully
Tue May 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Jen, you are one crazy :crazy: chick !!! Awesome bike, I'm sure you'll have a kick ass time on it !!! :bananna: Congrats !

Devaclis
Tue May 19th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Hell Yeah!!! I was looking at that exact bike for the Pie but she thought it was too tall lol. Time to get dirty, girlie!

dirkterrell
Tue May 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Nice. Now get it dirty.

Dirk

sky_blue
Tue May 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I cannot get it dirty until after I take it to bike night this week and pose. Seriously.

Also gear. I need gear.

We cranked down that rear shock all the way and I can get my toes down. That's as good as it's going to get on a dirt bike with a big enough engine not to get obliterated on the street. I like the Kawi Super Shepa too, but it has a metal gas tank (that looks sweet) and I'm afraid of bashing it on a rock.

Devaclis
Tue May 19th, 2009, 09:05 AM
The rear shock will settle in a bit as well. Mine has come down a good amount and now feels right. Lowered about an inch from new.

JohnEffinK
Tue May 19th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Very Nice. Congrats.

John

= Buckeye Jess =
Tue May 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Ohhh...I'm so jealous - congrats girl!!!

CBRSue
Tue May 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Wow! That is super sweet! Have fun on the trails there, girlie! :)

And Captain Kirk wanted to send out special wishes for you to have tons of fun with that new toy!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6hDZt1e0ofY/SUHItRZgzYI/AAAAAAAACmA/U-ZoR6wmiRQ/s400/star+trek+stalagtite.jpg

chad23
Tue May 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM
it was great seeing you ride off on it, Cat even made mention that she would try it

sky_blue
Tue May 19th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Susan-- You give the best Kirk.

Chad-- Good seeing you two. Heal up man. And Cat you're welcome to ride it anytime.

BeoBe
Tue May 19th, 2009, 04:04 PM
its still a nice bike