PDA

View Full Version : hauling the bike

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed May 20th, 2009, 10:50 AM
So I'm going to be going back home for my brother's college graduation next month and I've been planning on taking the bike with me. Problem is...I don't know how to get it there! I was hoping I'd have a truck to be able to use, but that isn't going to be the case. I can't ride out b/c I'm going to be bringing a ton of stuff back with me.

I drive a small Mazda 3 that doesn't have a hitch or anything. I'm also under the impression that towing anything with it will void the warranty (and I can't risk that with my streak of luck!) I just checked real quick at pick-up truck rentals and it is looking like $600 is going to be the cheapest... holy crap!!! :crazy:

Anybody have any suggestions?

Zach929rr
Wed May 20th, 2009, 10:53 AM
DK offered me use of his trailer the other day. Ill have to check the load ratings on the Explorer, but I could help you out if you shot me some gas money? Cheeper than a $600 rental. :dunno:

Probably a tank's worth of gas there in back, depending how far north you are.

salsashark
Wed May 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM
yep... leave the bike at home and enjoy time with friends and family...

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed May 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM
LOL...thanks for the offer Zach, but home is in Ohio - so a bit more than a tank of gas!

Zach929rr
Wed May 20th, 2009, 10:56 AM
LOL. I was thinking Wyoming. Well, best of luck then. :D

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed May 20th, 2009, 10:57 AM
yep... leave the bike at home and enjoy time with friends and family...
Agreed, except that my brother rides and I'm tired of stealing my mom's bike to ride with him. I would LOVE to be able to ride with both of them!! lol
(Plus my brother wants us to take a road trip to visit my sister's new place in Illinois on the bikes.)

asp_125
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Beg borrow or rent a bike while you're there. It'll be cheaper than $600.

PhL0aTeR
sell the car and buy a truck?

rent a bike when you get there?

Drift
What are the dates of your trip home?

chad23
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:03 AM
find a friend that will trade you your car for their truck till you get back, or sell/trade your car for a truck. I would love to loan you my truck, but it will cost $600+ in gas to get there and back.
Good luck hopefully someone has a loaner for you

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:03 AM
rough dates are 6/11-6/21

~Barn~
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Have a hitch put onto your 3, and tow it on a single-bike trailer.

Your bike is a tiny little "Ninjette" anyway, so the weight of that, plus the tow setup, will be the equivillent of having two full grown dudes in the back of your car anyway. Last I checked, heavyset passengers did not void warranties. :dunno:

It's not like you're pulling a boat or a couple of jet skis, or snowmobiles, or whatever. You're towing the Babybear Porridge of the sportbiking world. Your car will live, and if it doesn't it probably wasn't suited for the trip in the first place.

Plus, you'll be all setup from now to whenever, for when you need to do it again.

MetaLord 9
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:08 AM
...so you're aching to get on all the flat, straight roads of Ohio??? Just drive to the Nebraska border & back - it feels the same.

Leave the bike if you're not gonna ride it there. Too much hassle, plus you've gotta make sure that if you don't have a full cover trailer that you wheel the bike into a motel if you stay somewhere, blah blah blah not worth it.

(yes, Ohio does have some twisty roads, but not like CO and they're south east into "Deliverance" territory... )

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Brandon...I'm not sure if I want to kick your ass right now for a post just full of slights or not! lmao

So if I did take that route, what kind of hitch would I want? How much do they normally cost? How fast can you drive with a bike trailer behind you?

Sully
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
That's a good way to look at it Barn !

~Barn~
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I would talk to the people at U-Haul and see what they say. They can probably perform a temp-mount with bolts and what not, or they can probably go the welding route, and make it Perm. From what I know, they have different "classes" of towing setups, and yours will be the most light-duty. (I have to assume).

You're probably looking at maybe a couple hundred bucks, for the complete hitch and receiver setup, including the install. As for the trailer, you can probably borrow a single-bike setup from somebody, if you didn't want to buy one right now.

If you did want to purchase your own, I have no clue how much they are. They're probably several hundred dollars, but again.... You'll own it.

~Barn~
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:16 AM
How much do they normally cost? How fast can you drive with a bike trailer behind you?

Oh yeah... I wouldn't probably try and test any more MPH, than the speed limit. I think small trailers (or small trailer tires) are only suited for a particluar speed anyway, and on top of that, you're not going to have a lot of stabilizing "weight" behind you.

If you got in a dicey prediciment at-speed, that trailer might decide to get a little out of wack on you.

Sean
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I looked and it seems like the only rentals out there are HD. But it's only $50 during the week. I'd skip the hassel of taking your bike out there and rent a vrod or sportster for the day. If your not really hauling ass, then it should be fine. Just an idea.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah...it really is starting to look like more of a pain than anything..grrr! I dunno..oh well.. I still have a month to think about it! lol

MikeG
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Just ride the bike out to Cleveland rocks and buy a sidecar for the Kawi. When you decide to leave, pack the sidecar full of all the presents and you're good to go :up:

Nick_Ninja
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
UPS the 'ton of stuff' and then ride your bike home.

64BonnieLass
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Jess, here is the site I checked out when looking at a package for my SUV.

This has some good information to help answer some of your questions.
http://www.uhaul.com/hitches/

Also the location to call/check out:
U-HAUL HIGHLANDS RANCH

1750 East County Line Road
(W Of University)
Littleton, CO 80126
(303) 347-2144

Big-J
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I would do what Barn said, get a hitch put on and borrow a trailor.
Go online, you should be able to find one for your car at a good price. Install should be pretty easy, if not you can take it to Rack Attack and have them do it for you. I would buy the wiring harness online also, as apposed to Rack Attack.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:33 AM
UPS the 'ton of stuff' and then ride your bike home.
Last time I did that, it ended up costing me more than freaking gas back and forth - it was unreal! A lot of the stuff she's sending me home with is wrought iron and steel decor stuff... just to make life difficult! lol

Jess, here is the site I checked out when looking at a package for my SUV.

This has some good information to help answer some of your questions.
http://www.uhaul.com/hitches/

Also the location to call/check out:
U-HAUL HIGHLANDS RANCH

1750 East County Line Road
(W Of University)
Littleton, CO 80126
(303) 347-2144
Thanks Terri! I was actually digging through that site just a moment ago. Since (as much as I hate to admit it..lol) Barn raised a valid point, I think I'll get a hitch on the car eventually anyway.

But I just got an offer to trade my car with someone for their truck for the trip - so I'm all set.. MUCHOS GRACIAS!!!!!

salsashark
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:43 AM
ride your bike out there, then rent a uhaul and throw the bike in the back w/ all your new decor for the drive back... :dunno:

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Well crap...why would I not think of something as simple as that? lmao

Big-J
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM

You're a women? :lol: :p

DevilsTonic
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Ride the bike out there (be very careful) ship back the stuff you were going to take with you? That would be cheaper than any other alternative and you'd have your own bike to ride with your bro on.

eg bter
Wed May 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I agree with Barn...put a hitch on the mazda...borrow or rent a small trailer.

ChrisCBX
Wed May 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM
My wife and I will be going back to Ohio in a couple of weeks (must be the popular thing to do :))

We are hauling a couple of our bikes back there for the first time. We lived in the VERY hilly area of Ohio (Tri State area, near Pittsburgh). There are surprisingly good motorcycling roads back there and into West Virginia.

Good luck on getting your bike back there. I'm looking forward to riding back in the home area again myself.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed May 20th, 2009, 02:34 PM
You're a women? :lol: :p
Would you like to schedule the swift kick to yer balls now, or just to leave it for a surprise moment? lol

Panman06
Wed May 20th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Get a class 1 hitch put on the Mazda. Class 1 is rated to 2000lbs tow and 200lbs on tongue. The hitch install is not difficult, but the harness can be a PITA depending on the vehicle.

If Mazda gives you crap about towing with the hitch, tell them you installed it for a bike rack.

Troy.N
Wed May 20th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Well if you decided to ride your bike to Ohio! make sure you keep a close eye on the weather forecast. It could be nice and sunny here, but a big storm somewhere Neb, IA, Ill, IN or even OH. Just be careful out there.

Are you going to Cincinnati or Cleveland?

gtn
Wed May 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Would you like to schedule the swift kick to yer balls now, or just to leave it for a surprise moment? lol

Will this be a spectator thing?

gtn
Wed May 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
A lot of the stuff she's sending me home with is wrought iron and steel decor stuff... just to make life difficult! lol

How are you gonna get all that in a Mazda 3?