PDA

View Full Version : the sad end to my trip

denver_whitest185
Wed May 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM
well, at least for now, my trip is kinda on hold, and possibly toast... :cry:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/tedehrlich80227/IMGP1068.jpg

i was headed towards brians head, ut on ut-130 when the bike started acting like it just hit fuel cut. however, i had just filled up 15 miles back. anyways, im in cedar city, waiting to see what the local honda dealership will tell me tomorrow. we pulled it apart to do a visual inspection and a compression test (which was 100 on both cylinders), and so far we haven't found the problem. now i have to wait for tomorrow, and see what comes from that. im just lucky it broke down relitively close to a town big enough to have a few motorcycle dealerships.

anyways, i for some reason brought my laptop, which im now very thankfull for, so i can waste away the night watch simpsons episodes on hulu, and hope for some good (and inepensive) news tomorrow.

salsashark
Wed May 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM
you didn't use the green pump did you?!

suck man... hope it's an easy fix.

thatmofo
Wed May 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Is all that luggage on a 250? That's the problem. Your bike got pissed at you!

Hopefully it will be back on the road ASAP.

chad23
Wed May 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
ted that sucks bro hope all works out for you. keep us updated on your trip

denver_whitest185
Wed May 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM
you didn't use the green pump did you?!

suck man... hope it's an easy fix.

lol, no

Thanks chad.

PS, the luggage weighs less than riding two up, so i don't see it as a problem.

~Barn~
Wed May 20th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Is all that luggage on a 250? That's the problem. Your bike got pissed at you!

^^^^
:applause:

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed May 20th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Oh no!! Best of luck with everything and keep us up to date darlin'!

Nerves
Wed May 20th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Major Bummer Ted. Kinda glad I couldn't come along or you might be riding bitch on mine. She's been a good bike for ya tho, now she needs a little TLC, that's all. Good Luck.

OUTLAWD
Wed May 20th, 2009, 10:48 PM
check for pinched vac and/or vent lines...had that stall a bike out on the road a while back

good luck with it!

asp_125
Wed May 20th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Umm yeah, what he said. Pop the fuel cap, if it has a hissing sound then the vent is plugged.

DK74
Thu May 21st, 2009, 12:05 AM
Good luck. Hope everything works out...

RajunCajun
Thu May 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
You didn't try that NOS energy drink too??? Say it aint sooooo!!!

Nah, but, best of luck man! I threw a chain and ate up my crankcase passing through Yuma, AZ. Holy crap, was that a shit hole? And it was about 110 degrees out n the desert and a 2.5 mile walk with all my gear, tail and tank packs filled up..... Your ride looks wayyyy better.

Hope you get some great news in the morning.

dm_gsxr
Thu May 21st, 2009, 05:51 AM
Hopefully it's something easy and you're not far away. I got a flat 125 miles from Fairbanks. Fortunately I got a lift into town but it wasn't a cheap tow.

http://www.schelin.org/jpgshow.php?IMG00013.jpg

Carl

Zach929rr
Thu May 21st, 2009, 09:23 AM
5Lb NOS bottle on the rear there?

:lol:

dm_gsxr
Thu May 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM

Nah, spare gas tank. When you're on a 500 mile highway and the one gas station half way _may_ or _may_ not be open, you learn to carry some spare gas with you.

And it helped on the trip to Alaska. There were a couple of spots where I needed the extra couple of gallons.

Carl

Zach929rr
Thu May 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM
Hey, that's pretty nifty.

dm_gsxr
Thu May 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM
It gives me (when full) about a 460 mile range under normal conditions and up to 520 miles if I baby the bike :)

Carl

Sean
Thu May 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
That sucks man! I hope it works out for ya.

Bashed
Thu May 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM
DM,
So, was your sidewall cut? I guess I dont understand how you could not go through all that extra fuel tank addons, and not carry stuff to fix a flat.
Even trips around Colorado I carry everything I need to fix a common puncture so I dont get stranded and have to pay a tow bill for a simple flat. Wierd.

dm_gsxr
Thu May 21st, 2009, 10:02 AM
DM,
So, was your sidewall cut? I guess I dont understand how you could not go through all that extra fuel tank addons, and not carry stuff to fix a flat.
Even trips around Colorado I carry everything I need to fix a common puncture so I dont get stranded and have to pay a tow bill for a simple flat. Wierd.

I actually was carrying the stuff around to fix a flat. I even used it once so I know I'm able to repair punctures. The main problem wasn't a nail, but that I'd run over something like a rebar or something else with about a half inch diameter as I had a hole in the tire I could fit my little finger in.

I did stuff some strings into the puncture to see if it would work but it wouldn't hold air.

One problem I discovered was that I was using one of the air hose from heads to tire kits. Unfortunately the hole in the head was too small to fit the adapter for the hose. The one thing I hadn't checked before (I'm a dumb ass for that trick). Nothing like getting the bike apart and the spark plug out only to discover the hose doesn't fit.

I'll have a more appropriate kit before leaving for my next trip :)

Carl

Bashed
Thu May 21st, 2009, 10:11 AM
That sucks, Yea the large holes can be a bitch to fill. I carry two packs of the plugs in case I need to combine then to try and fill the hole.I have acually stuffed a tire full of grass before to get home once just to keep it on the bead on my DS bike once. Definatly dont like that experiance.
Sometimes the road wins for sure.
Bash

dm_gsxr
Thu May 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM
The tow truck driver said that he'd put several strings into a tire in order to get it to hold air (and he drove the big rigs). I hadn't thought of that but I will keep it in mind. I'll be getting several packets of string and maybe even a couple of semi-truck strings in case of next time :)

Carl

denver_whitest185
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 07:38 AM
So, its official. The engine is shot. It looks like i ran it low on oil and i shot a bearing. Anyways, a good friend is headed to get me with a dodge cummins flatbed, so i should be back in fort collins tonight.

Anyone have a spare ninja 250 engine they'll sell?

MetaLord 9
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 07:51 AM

Nah, energy drink :D

Ted, sorry to hear man...

For what it's worth though, you can probby pick up one of those fairly cheap at a good salvage shop or even just find a crashed one on craigslist or ebay

denver_whitest185
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
What salvage yards sell motorcycles around fort collins?

MetaLord 9
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hmmm, never bed to the fort so I couldn't tell ya, but even if you've gotta truck down to denver to grab one, I wouldn't imagine it'd cost you that much

Sean
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Sorry to hear that ted, it really sucks. :( Like you said, at least you were close to a town.

Try ebay, they have some solid prices on engines.

denver_whitest185
Sat May 23rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
so, ive been thinking about it, and i think im going to sell her after taking off the fox twinclicker and the sonic springs (the race tech cartridge emulators will have to stay unless i find a stock set of dampener rods to swap in)

Im thinking $1200 without the stuff mentioned above, but with everything else. the exhaust is worth around $500 itself, and everything else works perfectly and has been maintained to the book.

OUTLAWD
Sat May 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
that sucks man...good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

let me know if you need a hand.

rybo
Sat May 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
Ted,

Check with rforsythe. I'm pretty sure he has an engine for that bike in his garage.

denver_whitest185
Sat May 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
That would be great news!

oh, guess what i just found to top this all off. someone smashed my car's windshield while i was gone. it doesn't even look like they wanted to break in, just smash it for the hell of it.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/tedehrlich80227/DSC00054.jpg

= Buckeye Jess =
Sat May 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Are you freaking kidding me??? Geez that sucks man! Here's to the worst of your bad luck streak being over...