PDA

View Full Version : spotrtbike styling

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
I was wondering what everyone thinks of the current trends in the styling of the major brands of sportbikes. These are my thoughts:

Honda: Pretty good. I think that the 600 and 1000rrs are attractive bikes with nice lines. The 09 1000rr in gray looks particularly nice.

Yamaha: Again, pretty good. The r6 has nice agressive lines. The r1 is a step down from the last model, but still a nice looking machine.

Kawasaki: The 10r and 6r are great bikes, but to me they look like they are built out of lego's.

Suzuki: Don't get me wrong, I love Suzuki's, but style wise they have really lost their way. The new gsxr 1000 and the 600 are two of the ugliest sportbikes I have ever seen. They are ugly in every way. Its very sad to me.

Ducatti: What can I say, BEAUTIFIL!

So, what do you think?

jimwallace
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
I pretty much agree with you across the board, cept i dont think the zx6/10r looks like it was made of legos, (ive used this analogy many times but its true to me) it looks like when you catch a fish and it swallows the hook and you grab the fish squeeze and pull on the hook.....the way the eyes bug out.....oh yeah.....thats what it looks like. sad cause i loved the 04-06 zx10r style.

BHeth
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
The R1 was the best looking sportbike on the road until the 1098 came out. I agree that Yamaha has taken a step backwards with the new one.

Honda hasn't made a good looking bike since the F4i with the split seats.

Kawasakis have been painful to look at for years. The last ZX-9 body style was fantastic, but they have been making mutant bikes ever since.

Suzuki has never made a good looking bike. Maybe the early 80s big bore Katana? No, even that one was ugly.

They all haul plenty of ass, though. That's all that matters.

pg_rider
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 10:51 AM
Styling for the most part sucks these days. The CBR600RR is gorgeous, as are the 1198's and MV Agustas, and the R6 too. But the Jap liter bikes are horrid, the new Aprilia V4 has a horrible chopped tail, and the BMW 1000RR... ugh. It's really a shame, because styling used to be more consistently good. Since the 1998 R1 though -- the most seductive bike ever -- it's been all downhill...

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
I pretty much agree with you across the board, cept i dont think the zx6/10r looks like it was made of legos, (ive used this analogy many times but its true to me) it looks like when you catch a fish and it swallows the hook and you grab the fish squeeze and pull on the hook.....the way the eyes bug out.....oh yeah.....thats what it looks like. sad cause i loved the 04-06 zx10r style.

I agree, the earler 10r's were good looking, brutish bikes, I really liked the 04-05 model in particular. I guess I am reminded of lego's on the new ones because of all the sharp lines in their styling. To me it looks like they are snapped together from a bunch of smaller square-ish pieces like lego's

IT WASN'T ME!
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
The R1 was the best looking sportbike on the road until the 1098 came out. I agree that Yamaha has taken a step backwards with the new one.

Honda hasn't made a good looking bike since the F4i with the split seats.

Kawasakis have been painful to look at for years. The last ZX-9 body style was fantastic, but they have been making mutant bikes ever since.

Suzuki has never made a good looking bike. Maybe the early 80s big bore Katana? No, even that one was ugly.

They all haul plenty of ass, though. That's all that matters.

I don't totaly agree about the Suzuki's. They have never been the best looking bikes, but they have produced some good looking bikes. The 01 gsxr 1000r and the tl 1000r are two of my faves.

BHeth
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
I don't totaly agree about the Suzuki's. They have never been the best looking bikes, but they have produced some good looking bikes. The 01 gsxr 1000r and the tl 1000r are two of my faves.

Oh, the Tiller! I'd forgotten about that one. Very nice, and a twin to boot. I'll take one in yellow.

MetaLord 9
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
I disagree about the Kawi's over the past years. I've liked the look of the 6r's up until the 09 model. The suzuki's of recent years have been fairly decent with the hondas looking alright, but the noses on those bike are always too short for me. I'm a short guy & I can pretty much look down the front fender without leaving the seat. The yamis that aren't blue look pretty good though.

salsashark
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
pffttt... who needs fairings and noses and what not?!

I personally like the 09 R1... it's the first one that I've ever liked. Different is good. Why make the same damn thing the guy next door is making?

As for the full line of Yawasukda sportbikes, I guess I haven't really been interested in any of them cause I can't off hand think of anything other than the R1 headlights (lifted from the Buell School of Motorcycle Design)

asp_125
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Japanese bikes have long since been generic. Now, the MV Agusta F4, Bimota, Ducati 1098 and other european bikes are distinctive. Go to a bike night and look around what catches people's eyes? The exotics, the naked bikes and cafe racers.

Sir Bacon Lube
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Honda CBR is the way to go...then mod it out to your liking.

SaShWhO
Fri May 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Honda CBR is the way to go...then mod it out to your liking.

I like the way you think nOOb.

sag
Sun May 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
i think theyre all pretty sweet but i dislike r6s and r1s the most, i feel like theyre too wide at the nose when sitting on them

fullgrownbear
Sun May 24th, 2009, 06:48 PM
FZ1 is sexay.

puckstr
Sun May 24th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I dig any bike with a single swing arm

salsashark
Sun May 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
^^ :up:

dirkterrell
Sun May 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I dig any bike with a single swing arm

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/25thanni_small.jpg

Dirk

The Black Knight
Sun May 24th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I was wondering what everyone thinks of the current trends in the styling of the major brands of sportbikes. These are my thoughts:

Honda: Pretty good. I think that the 600 and 1000rrs are attractive bikes with nice lines. The 09 1000rr in gray looks particularly nice.

Yamaha: Again, pretty good. The r6 has nice agressive lines. The r1 is a step down from the last model, but still a nice looking machine.

Kawasaki: The 10r and 6r are great bikes, but to me they look like they are built out of lego's.

Suzuki: Don't get me wrong, I love Suzuki's, but style wise they have really lost their way. The new gsxr 1000 and the 600 are two of the ugliest sportbikes I have ever seen. They are ugly in every way. Its very sad to me.

So, what do you think?
Well for the current bikes, I'm not really impressed with the looks of alot of them.

Honda - CBR1000RR looks like a fish with the front end the way it is. I'm not a Honda guy in the least.

Yamaha - is a very nice looking machine. I'm partial to the 2004 model year when they switched over to that great style. The new one is pretty excellent and love the sound of that big bang motor. Not a real huge fan of the R6.

Kawasaki - new ZX10R, is real alien looking to me. I like the 2004-2005 models, they should have stayed with that design. Very sleek and refined. I do like their ZX6R though.

Suzuki - Is where I'm bias, as I love the first gen(01-02) Gixxer Thou's. I think if I was going to own any other model year GSX-R1000, it would have to be the 05-06 models. Not really down the with the new ones. Funny thing about the Gixxer's is they grow on me. I see it for the first time and they usually don't do a whole lot for me.

Ducati - I'm probably the only guy who doesn't really care much for Duc's. Yeah they are nice and what not. But I realize it's a "Ducati owner thing" and yeah I don't understand it. Which is fine by me. Only model I really liked was the 999 models. And that's a stretch, the 1098 does absolutely nothing for me as pretty much with every Ducati.

Aprilia - I'm going to have to say, if given the choice between a RSV or a 1098. I'll take the RSV hands down. I don't care about performance or anything like that and I know the 1098's are badass bikes. But give me a RSV any day of the week. I was bummed when Rocky Mountain Cycle down here in the Springs quit selling Aprilia. Aprilia is and will always be my cup of tea over a Ducati.

R6Blake101
Mon May 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I love all the diff. types of bikes out there....
But for now I luvvv what I own,
1078RR 312 MV
R6 Fiat

The Black Knight
Mon May 25th, 2009, 03:30 PM
1078RR 312 MV
R6 Fiat
that R6 is the tits, I love replica bikes. It's like the Repsol Honda, not a fan of Honda at all but absolutely love the Repsol version.

Troy.N
Mon May 25th, 2009, 05:19 PM
1078RR 312 MV
R6 Fiat

I like your bikes! specially that sexyyy italian.... Rossi Fiat is looking good.

THE3BS
Mon May 25th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I'm surprised noone has mentioned the KTM RC8.

I don't how I'm going to convince her.. But.. If I can convince the lady to let me have one I plan to be running one this time next year. The RC8 is my absolute favorite.

IT WASN'T ME!
Tue May 26th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I'm surprised noone has mentioned the KTM RC8.

I don't how I'm going to convince her.. But.. If I can convince the lady to let me have one I plan to be running one this time next year. The RC8 is my absolute favorite.

I like the RC8 stripped of it's plastic, but the plastic bits look like something someone cobbed together in their garage, maybe a kit bike.

kawasakirob
Tue May 26th, 2009, 11:35 AM

So, what do you think?
I think Ducati's are starting to look more mainstream then ever. At least the 999 and older did not look like every other sportbike out there. The 1098/1198 have pretty much the same outlines as every japanese sportbike. Ducati needs to be different. It looks like an R1, Has the headlights of a 2006 ZX10. The only thing different is a single sided swingarm and bits of nice parts, accompanied by a hefty pricetag.

IT WASN'T ME!
Tue May 26th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I think Ducati's are starting to look more mainstream then ever. At least the 999 and older did not look like every other sportbike out there. The 1098/1198 have pretty much the same outlines as every japanese sportbike. Ducati needs to be different. It looks like an R1, Has the headlights of a 2006 ZX10. The only thing different is a single sided swingarm and bits of nice parts, accompanied by a hefty pricetag.

The difference is that ducati invented that look with the 916 and the japanese copied it. If everybody had stuck with that look there would still be a bunch of good looking sportbikes of all brands. Right now, there are no other sportbikes that are styled like the 1198. The 999 looked nothing like anything before it. By the way, until the 09 gsxr 1000, the 999 was, in my opinion, the ugliest sportbike ever.

kawasakirob
Tue May 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM
What Japanese sportbike was a copied version of the 916? I think that Honda had the underseat exhaust and the single sided swingarm before ducati.

~Barn~
Tue May 26th, 2009, 12:02 PM
What Japanese sportbike was a copied version of the 916?

The Yamaha R1 for starters. Especially when they went "2-under" in 2004.

But hey.... That's why I bought one. :lol:

kawasakirob
Tue May 26th, 2009, 12:05 PM
The old RC's and NR from Honda before Ducati

dallas
Tue May 26th, 2009, 12:23 PM
The Yamaha R1 for starters. Especially when they went "2-under" in 2004.

But hey.... That's why I bought one. :lol:
Me too, and now the 09'. Very sexy bike...........in fact, I am going to go have sex again with mine, BRB.............

salsashark
Tue May 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM
mmmmmmmm...

Who's a pretty girl?! That's right... you are!!!

http://www.motorcities.com/media/images/640/09E7C431200771AA.jpeg

Horsman
Tue May 26th, 2009, 12:48 PM
They need to bring back the Kettenkrad!!!
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/4Horsman/PK1.jpg

Romp with that at Rampart!!! They see me a rolling and they be hate'n
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/4Horsman/kettenkrad_copy.jpg
Riding Dirt-tay...

TheStig
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM
mmmmmmmm...

Who's a pretty girl?! That's right... you are!!!

http://www.motorcities.com/media/images/640/09E7C431200771AA.jpeg

They have a SE at Foothills, I have to admit the blue is kinda neat in person.

sugarrey
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I rode with an 848 duc yesterday, that was pretty sexy. Not really down with the way they sound but the lines were a thing of beauty.

sugarrey
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
So after seeing the Triumph below I thought I would take a closer look and went to:

www.triumph.com

and HOLY SHIT...I'm like, someone finally got it right......Sexy chics and bikes, hell yeah....then I realized it wasn't the correct sight and lost my boner.

Go ahead, try the link

= Buckeye Jess =
Tue May 26th, 2009, 02:25 PM
lol...yeah, I made the same mistake at first

Think
Sun May 31st, 2009, 01:23 PM
I looooved the look of my old '05 636. The white 07 600RR is a thing of beauty as well. I also really like the Daytona 675, especially the SE. I guess I should also add the 848 in there also.

I reallllly dislike the looks of the new Kawi's, edges are way too sharp. And ever since the R6 got the redesign I've not been a huge fan. The 2005 R6 was awesome.

#1Townie
Sun May 31st, 2009, 09:28 PM
the new hondas look like shit.. i hate the way the fronts look.. im kinda likn the new zx10..

d3spair
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 12:47 PM
the new hondas look like shit.. i hate the way the fronts look.. im kinda likn the new zx10..

Nah all the kawis look like shit in person too, lines are way too sharp. Saw a brand new one yesterday in black and it was underwhelming to say the least. Bikes in general are getting uglier, 04-05 R1 is still a sweet spot for me.

salsashark
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 12:50 PM
There's absolutely nothing non-sexy about this...

http://www.triumph.co.uk/images/SpeedTripleSE_2009_overview_534x375.jpg

asp_125
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM
Triumphs are nice but that post about the VFR is teh hawtness

http://www.dapper-dogs.net/bikes/images/vfr400.jpg

OUTLAWD
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 01:15 PM
I am slightly biased, but anything with the union jack on it is pretty sick.

Most of the jap stuff is too generic, the new 1000RR is hideous, someone took a frying pan to the front end. The new R1's are cool, I kinda like the crawfish headlights...

#1Townie
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM
There's absolutely nothing non-sexy about this...

http://www.triumph.co.uk/images/SpeedTripleSE_2009_overview_534x375.jpg

now days when i see a naked bike i look for a cage..

Think
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 03:09 PM
I am slightly biased, but anything with the union jack on it is pretty sick.

Most of the jap stuff is too generic, the new 1000RR is hideous, someone took a frying pan to the front end. The new R1's are cool, I kinda like the crawfish headlights...
The 1000RR's have grown on me. I think the white 1000RR is really good lookin.