PDA

View Full Version : Want the opinion of you mechanic types...

~Barn~
Sat Feb 12th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Okay, so I'm normally one of those guys that waits till 3000 or so miles before I change my oil. I use good ol' Yamasauce or Silko'street.

Now granted most of my riding is done on the street, and I'm never in the top... say... 1/3 of my rev-range for more than a couple of seconds at a time.

Currently however, I have 1513 miles on my oil with a day at Pueblo in there, and a day at SCR. Now granted, I wasn't exactly turning mind-numbing laptimes, but obviously it's harder riding than your typical street fare. Especially at Pueblo.

So!... My question is... Do you think I'm okay to turn the remaining 1500 miles on this oil? I don't suspect that I'll have anymore trackdays between now and then, but if I do, then I know for sure to change it. But if these next 1500 are strictly street-going miles, do you see any major objection?

firefghtr
Sat Feb 12th, 2005, 12:05 AM
i would deffinitaly change it around 2000-2500 and not wait till 3000 since you added more stress

Mista Black
Sat Feb 12th, 2005, 05:33 AM
i ride my bike in the top 1/3 RPM range quite a lot (but i'm smackin' the rev limiter at only 8500 :lol: ) and i still change every 6000 miles like BMW recommends. if i was racing the bike exclusively i'd probably do it more often but since, what, maybe 5% of that 1513 miles was at the track, i wouldn't sweat it myself... but i'm so damned non-mechanical it's scary :P

NZ Darren
Sat Feb 12th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Oil is all a big scam.
You really don't need it. Drain it out, that will make your bike lighter and a lot faster.
Just try it for a few months, you can always add oil if it doesn't seem to help by at least 19%.

Mista Black
Sat Feb 12th, 2005, 05:54 AM
it's easier to hear the engine that way too :up:

Lomax
Sat Feb 12th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Barn,

You are probably OK to go until the 3K oil change. However you did ask the question so you must have some misgivings. For the $25 or so it cost to change oil I would go ahead and do it. It is cheap insurance both mentally and physically. I have always learned to listen to my inner voice. ;)

Ride Safe.
Marc

Gramps
Sat Feb 12th, 2005, 07:06 AM
there are some other questuons you need to ask

did your bike get abnormally hot?

are you running a good filter?

are you running good oil?

there are no test i have ever seen that convince me that changing your oil every 1500 instead of every 3000 makes a difference unless you have some other problems going on

Kim-n-Dean
Sat Feb 12th, 2005, 07:10 AM
there are some other questuons you need to ask

did your bike get abnormally hot?

are you running a good filter?

are you running good oil?

there are no test i have ever seen that convince me that changing your oil every 1500 instead of every 3000 makes a difference unless you have some other problems going on

Yup!! And if you have other problems going on, changing the oil ever 2 miles isn't going to help. You got no worries, Barn.

Anonymous
Sat Feb 12th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Just bear in mind that extensive track riding will dirty it up a bit faster, however I think you just have the SCR and Pueblo day on it right? So you're fine if the rest of the 1500 is all street.

My rule of thumb in the racebike is every other race weekend, but that is basically redlining over and over and over again and putting a lot of wear on the clutch. You've probably been a bit nicer to your R1 than we are to our racebikes, but if one day you really start flogging it on the track, consider more frequent changes.

swademaster
Sat Feb 12th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Just add a couple more quarts and keep going. :roll: