PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbirds are in town - does anyone know practice time?

Ninja2
Mon May 25th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Anyone Air Force? I heard Thunderbirds will practice tomorrow at 2pm. Is that true? Last year I was able to get into the stadium for practice and sat below the booth as they did their full-blown practice. AWESOME :applause:

*KEN*
Mon May 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I don't know about practice, but the actual performance is
Wednesday, 27 May, 12:00-12:45 p.m.

I was thinking of riding down and watching. You should be able to get into the academy by showing a driver's license.

*KEN*
Mon May 25th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Maybe practice would have less traffic than during graduation though. Hmm?

"Tuesday morning at 8 a.m., the team will practice flyovers of the Air Force Academy Stadium as a rehearsal for the graduation day hat toss, weather permitting. At 2 p.m., the team will practice their aerial performance over the Academy. Directly following the Air Force Academy graduation Wednesday, the team will perform the hat toss flyover and their aerial performance."

Ninja2
Mon May 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks, Ken. I plan on being there. If you show up on your bike, so will I- rain or shine.

*KEN*
Tue May 26th, 2009, 09:24 AM
No problem. I think I'm going to wait and see if Wednesday has a little nicer weather. Does anyone know if traffic would be much of a problem on Wednesday (graduation)?

Apparently this summer's Blue Angels show at Front Range airport was canceled, so this show is all we get.

Shea
Tue May 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
That would explain the fly by I had over my house yesterday. Always raises my attention when I hear a turbojet rather then a turbofan.

SamuraiX
Tue May 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Um, yeah - quite a difference!!
One is hauling ass, the other one is hauling people.

I hope to ride down on Wed.

*KEN*
Tue May 26th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Anyone interested in a ride from MoCo through Deckers/Woodland Park and watch the Thunderbirds tomorrow?

sugarrey
Tue May 26th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Whats it cost to watch or you just go somewhere free? And where? I have been watching stunt shows and air shows since I was 5. Huge fan!!!

*KEN*
Tue May 26th, 2009, 10:26 AM
From what I can tell, you just go to the academy gate, show an ID, go into the academy and sit on the grass (i.e. Free)

willb003
Tue May 26th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I might be down for the moco though deckers to watch some sweet planes, just let me know when

TFOGGuys
Tue May 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM
That would explain the fly by I had over my house yesterday. Always raises my attention when I hear a turbojet rather then a turbofan.

I live about a mile north of the north end of Buckley's runway....good times when the wind's out of the south and they're doing touch and gos.....they fly in low enough over the house to see reg numbers with your naked eye, and sometimes you can actually see rivets on the fuselage....:shocked:

willb003
Tue May 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Something cool to know- If you can read the N number of a civil aircraft you can type it into google and find out all kinds of cool stuff about the aircraft. BTW the N stands for North America.

*KEN*
Tue May 26th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Soooo....

Show is 12-12:45. No entrance after 12.

MoCo to Academy through Deckers is ~3.5 hours, which means we would need to leave by ~8am. It's only going to be about 55 degrees at 8am, which is below my normal temperature tolerance.

I guess I'm not going to head down then.

Ninja2
Tue May 26th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I went to rehearsal today and it was AWESOME!!! Here is the scoop - they did not let me into the stadium as they did last year. So I cruised for about 1h and found the second-best spot: across from the stadium they built a new Hollywood Theater with a huge parking lot. Take the I-25 Interquest exit. You'll see the movie theater on the east side. Why are you going through Deckers? Take 285 to 470 east, then take I-25 all the way to COS or get off in Castle Rock and take 83. We rode COS, Deckers, 285, 470, I-25 (the whole round-trip) in 3.5h yesterday..... . Are you taking pics on the way?????

Cars-R-Coffins
Tue May 26th, 2009, 11:20 PM
So they are not letting anyone onto Academy grounds tomorrow to watch the show?

*KEN*
Tue May 26th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Supposedly you are allowed on the academy grounds. Maybe just not inside the Stadium??? Are you still thinking of going, Darin?

willb003
Wed May 27th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I am still down for going to it.

Drift
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I have access to the Academy, but I agree that the Hollywood Theater parking lot is a good vantage point opposite from the stadium.

I plan to be in the theater parking lot...maybe I'll see some of you there.

I'll be in a green GMC... :( (too much photo equipment to take on the bike)

Ciao,
Drift

Mental
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Hey, if you guys are planning on trying to ride onto the academy, be prepared for the DOD rules on riding. You must have full gloves, a bright and contrasting long sleeve outer garmet, boots, a full face helmet, valid tags and insurance as in many cases a stupid refelctive orange vest (don't get me started).

Drift is right, Hollywoord Cinemas is a great spot and you can park by him and he'll keep an eye on your bike. While you're there, tell him he's a lazy bastard for not coming to work today. Buy him a Red Bull and he may get a really nice picture of your bike.

Ninja2
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Weather is much better than yesterday. Just a bit chilly and windy. Looking forward to the pictures.

Drift
Wed May 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Here is one...with the majestic Pike's Peak in the background! :)

*KEN*
Wed May 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM
^That's great! What kind of lens? It outclasses my pics, but here's one of them

64BonnieLass
Wed May 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Thank you for the pictures guys. I wish I could have seen it in person. I thouroughly love watching those boys fly. Thanks. :)

Ninja2
Fri May 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Drift/Ken - awesome pics. Thank you so much!