PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Wrangler Tech Question

Mister BOYD
Tue May 26th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Okay,
So there really isn't a section as far as i could see about a technical question for autos. I'm sure this thread will move if so. Recently my Jeep wrangler speedometer has been moving all over the place, no matter if accelerating or otherwise. I just lifted it about 3 months ago. I know the speedometer cable might need lubed and can easily find it. The thing that really concerns me is the loss of power for a brief second while accelerating. It's very obnoxious. If anybody has had a similar problem and has any idea what I can do to fix it, instead of paying overpriced dealers to fix it, I'd be grateful.

BeoBe
Tue May 26th, 2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/

There is a section for your jeep you can ask anything you want, also we have a pretty good size colorado jeep club that is in there as well... lot of good guys.. Im beobe on there as well.

Mister BOYD
Tue May 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/

There is a section for your jeep you can ask anything you want, also we have a pretty good size colorado jeep club that is in there as well... lot of good guys.. Im beobe on there as well.

FANTASTIC! Appreciate the help BeoBe!

BeoBe
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:15 PM
no prob.. we got quite a few members from colorado and they do it all... Most of them have alot done to their jeeps so they do alot of difficult trails and im kinda SOL when it comes to that until i at least get a wench put on..

But yea, lot of really nice people and they love their jeeps lol... maybe talk to you on there. There is also a site called colorado4x4.com but you have to pay to even get on and i never wanted to so just hang out with these guys.

Mister BOYD
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:19 PM
no prob.. we got quite a few members from colorado and they do it all... Most of them have alot done to their jeeps so they do alot of difficult trails and im kinda SOL when it comes to that until i at least get a wench put on..

But yea, lot of really nice people and they love their jeeps lol... maybe talk to you on there. There is also a site called colorado4x4.com but you have to pay to even get on and i never wanted to so just hang out with these guys.

Sounds good. Can't blame them for lovin a jeep. Only put a little 2.5 Rough Country suspension lift on and some discos. Not much but I considered it a good contribution to the economy. Haven't been up but a few trails. Lookin to get out a bit more this summer for sure. Def will look for you on there. Probably going to keep my screen name there too.

Zach929rr
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Time to get that Rusty's 8" Long Arm Lift :D and box the frame.

Mister BOYD
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Time to get that Rusty's 8" Long Arm Lift :D and box the frame.

For SHO! Wanted a Wrangler since I was a kid. Bought mine about 3 years ago, don't think I'll ever let er go!

Zach929rr
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Or you could man up and build your own 4link :lol:

Mister BOYD
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Or you could man up and build your own 4link :lol:

HA.. Sounds like a good time. You jeep it up?

Zach929rr
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Never owned but have seriously considered buying an XJ and tearing it down to the frame, followed by a thorough build. I've lurked around pirate4x4 and read so much there that building a 4link really doesn't seem that hard anymore. Granted, I've never actually done it, but the instructions and know how are all there and readily available. You really don't have to worry about anti-roll and other calculations if you are building a weekend warrior.

Mister BOYD
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Nice.. just need to sum up the dough now! Get one man.. you won't regret it. If your plannin on tearing down and rebuilding, you could even go with an X and make it badder than any Rubi.

Zach929rr
Tue May 26th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I'm sure it will be a few years before I pick one up. Need to let them deteriorate in value just a little more. Check out pirate4x4 for jeep help too.... they help everyone from soccer mom to Baja trucks and beyond.

Mister BOYD
Tue May 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Excellent.. Was curious where I could find info for soccer moms with pavement princesses! A few years will be worth the wait.

BeoBe
Tue May 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
i still love the quote. "SUV's get groceries...Jeeps get dirty"

Mister BOYD
Tue May 26th, 2009, 03:16 PM
HA! That's the first time that ones come to my attention. Sig added!

BeoBe
Tue May 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
lol yea ive always loved that one

kevplus2
Tue May 26th, 2009, 05:34 PM

it is colorado4x4.org (http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/)and it is free. great resource and great group

BeoBe
Tue May 26th, 2009, 06:02 PM
sorry let me correct that...

Note: Free email services such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Netzero, Juno, etc. are not permitted for registration of a free account. Please see this post for information on how to register using a free email account:

I have found plenty of cool and alot of colorado members on jeepforums and they allow free emails so i dont have any worries about going over to colorado4x4... cant bash em cause i dont know them but yea... options are there

Mister BOYD
Tue May 26th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Excellent.. Thanks both of ya fellas for the input. I want to get this fixed sooner than later. Hope I can dig up some info and save a ton of $$ by diggin into my jeep myself. Lord knows I have some time on my hands that I'd like to fill with something! Nothing like a weekend project right?

Zach929rr
Tue May 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Anywho, back to the subject at hand... does the stutter happen all the time, or once in a while?

Keyser Soze
Wed May 27th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Is it "sputtering" or is it more like a flat spot while accelerating? 4.0L?

Mister BOYD
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Is it "sputtering" or is it more like a flat spot while accelerating? 4.0L?

Not sputtering.. yea.. like a flat spot at times and sometimes it's like the peddal/acceleration just drops out for a split second. It only does it briefly and only once in awhile. Yea it's a 4.0L I6.

Zach929rr
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Sometimes taking the MAF off and cleaning that helps.

Keyser Soze
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Our TJ does the same thing. From what I've read it's just something they do. Some guys have said a tune will get rid of it, others say it's not fixable. I noticed it a lot when we first bought it and put the lift on, think now I'm just used to it.

Mister BOYD
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Sometimes taking the MAF off and cleaning that helps.

Srry.. I deal with too many accronymns on a daily basis.. MAF = ?

Mister BOYD
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Our TJ does the same thing. From what I've read it's just something they do. Some guys have said a tune will get rid of it, others say it's not fixable. I noticed it a lot when we first bought it and put the lift on, think now I'm just used to it.

Really? Super Shitty. It has 75K on it almost (just out of warranty). I'm an engineer myself and hate the fact that they "Know" when something is going to go to shit. I'd love to tune it up myself but it has power packs and not plugs. I've heard that you can really screw things up by messing with the power packs yourself. Any advice on performing a self tune up? Where might a feller go for a decent cheap tune up? Also.. the Speedometer is jumping all over the place. Goes down when speeding up or wings itself all the way to the right. Any suggestions for how to best dissassemble and lube that damn speedometer cable?

Supa77
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
mass air-flow sensor

Mister BOYD
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:43 AM
mass air-flow sensor

Excellent.. Where is that sucker found inside the hood? Perhaps there is something in the vacuum line or dirt in the harness connector that is screwing it up? Also.. What do I need to do to clean it? Blow on it? Wipe it down?

Supa77
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I have only messed with one once on an xterra I had. That one screwed into the air intake tube just past the air filter. I really don't know on jeeps though. Sorry.

I think I used a MAF cleaning spray from Checkers or somewhere to clean it.

Zach929rr
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Yup. Should be at the end of the intake tubing right before it connects with the intake manifold.

And a decent starting point for a self-tune would be the usual spark plugs and airfilter. Maybe check the fuel filter for clogs too, however I think if the fuel filter was clogged this would be more of a persistent issue.

Keyser Soze
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Aside from a flash tuner, you might be able to find a dyno shop. Either way your lookin at a fairly decent chunk of change.

Keyser Soze
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Yup. Should be at the end of the intake tubing right before it connects with the intake manifold.

And a decent starting point for a self-tune would be the usual spark plugs and airfilter. Maybe check the fuel filter for clogs too, however I think if the fuel filter was clogged this would be more of a persistent issue.

By tune I meant a re map. As far as I've heard, it's a fuel mapping issue.

Zach929rr
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Touche.

Mister BOYD
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Awesome.. Love it when vehicles tear themselves appart! I know exactly where the MAF is. Will give that a shot. If that doesn't help.. it's off to the shop for a tune up. I have to get emissions done for the first time this year and that's only a couple of months out. So.. I appreciate the help from everybody. Do any of you have any suggestions for re-lubing the speedometer cable? I know where it connects at the transmission and it is likely where the cable needs lubed. That damned tranny skid plate did a great job gathering tons of slush in the last couple of snow storms we had.

Mister BOYD
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:09 AM
By tune I meant a re map. As far as I've heard, it's a fuel mapping issue.

Rough Dollar range for what I can expect to pay to have a re-map/ tune up done by a shop?

Zach929rr
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Have you posted this up at the other places yet? You might find someone up here in Colo that can do a cheap tune or let you snag their flash tuner for a day.

Mister BOYD
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Have you posted this up at the other places yet? You might find someone up here in Colo that can do a cheap tune or let you snag their flash tuner for a day.

Not yet.. Plan to do so by end of day. Would rather get this done ASAP. Not a bad idea at all to get someone outside of a shop to help. +1 on advice.

Zach929rr
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Read:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591197

Keyser Soze
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Rough Dollar range for what I can expect to pay to have a re-map/ tune up done by a shop?

New flash tuner would be roughly about 300 bucks. Really depends on the shop for a dyno tune. I'd call around. And if you're in any jeep clubs, I'd ask some members for shop recommendations. Probably be able to find someone that would let you use their flash tuner too.

This also will cure any low end power issues.

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/dodge/wrangler40/wrangler40.htm

:D just a thought

Mister BOYD
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:33 AM
New flash tuner would be roughly about 300 bucks. Really depends on the shop for a dyno tune. I'd call around. And if you're in any jeep clubs, I'd ask some members for shop recommendations. Probably be able to find someone that would let you use their flash tuner too.

This also will cure any low end power issues.

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/dodge/wrangler40/wrangler40.htm

:D just a thought

HA! Want one of those! One day.. one day! Joining a Jeep club/forum right now! Maybe someone will have one of those that I can have! Great peeps on this board, has to be someone with an extra supercharger they'd be willing to give me!

Zach929rr
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Go rip one out of a early 90's thunderbird and have someone make you a manifold.

:lol:

Mister BOYD
Wed May 27th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Screen Name at www.jeepforum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com) is JEEPBOYDER. Hit me up sometime BeoBe.

BeoBe
Wed May 27th, 2009, 06:39 PM
i just added ya to my FL