PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Chaw?

The Black Knight
Tue May 26th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Skoal, Copenhagen, Grizzly, Kodiah(yuck!), Red Man the list can go on, not to mention all the different flavors out there. Since we've got all kinds of threads lately that are either self-help, man v. woman debates, should I date a fat chick threads etc. etc.

I figured I'd throw out a thread on dip.

So what's everyone dip/chew?

Second part of the thread, what is the worse stuff you've ever found in your travels. The guys and I at work chat about this regularly about either cool or rancid chaw we've found.

Myself, I'm a Copenhagen Long Cut, and Skoal Long Cut Spearmint(my main chew) guy. I've tried alot of stuff, Cope Long Straight is like ammonia, Skoal Apple is strong. Red Man ain't bad except for Red Man Gold is a bit much(not as good as regular Red) and for me the one that takes the cake, Days Work.... yuuuckkk!!

So for those of us that dip/chew what's your favs, what's your dislikes and what have you found that is so ill you just toss it out the window and get something else??

fullgrownbear
Tue May 26th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I started dipping anything under the sun in the Corps, back in 02'.

Dipping in the field, in combat, in the room, you name it.

I started to notice a receding gum line, and got a little spooked. I actually quit 2 months ago and don't regret it. Even the smell makes me cringe now.

To answer your question, I used to be a Copenhagen snuff man. Then I moved to pouches, then to Grizzly long cut because it was cheaper. That cut the hell out of my lip though. I think the cheaper it is, the more fiberglass they put in it.

kawasakirob
Tue May 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Copenhagen long cut when affordable. For cheap stuff, grizzly natural or kayak when it used to be a dollar. Best chew I ever tasted was Hawken. It came in small flakes and only came in Wintergreen. Oh man it is good. The only problem with it though was it would not last long because of the flakes and not to many places sell it. When they do, it's a good thing to stock up on them. You could only get 5-6 pinches out of it. The nastiest was a dried out Day-o- work log that came in a small brick. The kayak does not taste to well either. Beech Nut for the soft pouch. It tastes like raisins.

rforsythe
Tue May 26th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Personally I think it's all wet, nasty, ass in a can.

But maybe that's just me...

The Black Knight
Tue May 26th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I started dipping anything under the sun in the Corps, back in 02'.

Dipping in the field, in combat, in the room, you name it.

I started to notice a receding gum line, and got a little spooked. I actually quit 2 months ago and don't regret it. Even the smell makes me cringe now.

To answer your question, I used to be a Copenhagen snuff man. Then I moved to pouches, then to Grizzly long cut because it was cheaper. That cut the hell out of my lip though. I think the cheaper it is, the more fiberglass they put in it.
See that's what I've heard from a few people that have quit is that their gum line started to recede. Then I've talked to other people and it's had zero effect on them. Like my buddy at work, he's been chewing for 22 years and has zero teeth problems, gum problems. I think it might boil down to genetics and or dental hygiene. I think brushing and mouthwash are the way to go.

Not saying you don't have good dental care but I can see how you might be able to skip brushing when in combat and out in the field. Really for me that's the only time I dip is at work. I carry my can of Skoal with me at home but rarely dip. Unless I'm just in the mood for one.

Also how much did you dip in a week? For me, I can make a can last about 2 weeks if I stretch it. Which I think is pretty good. I've got another buddy at work that can blow a regular can of Cope in one day!! :shocked: That to me is alot.

And see I've read where Fine Cut is probably the worst for your gums as it's so well "fine" cut. Another friend at work knows a Dentist who even chews and he told him that the easiest stuff on your gums was Long Cut. Fine can hit the gums harder from what I gather.

I agree with you though, I think the cheaper it is, the worst of you might be. HAHA in a weird way, you get what you pay for. Like for instance that Longhorn and I think it's Timberwolf stuff, is really cheap, like $2 a can. I don't mind paying $4.50 for some Skoal since I can make it last. Cope is the same price too.

Yeah when you think about it, it's probably all bad for you. Just in varying degrees.

Copenhagen long cut when affordable. For cheap stuff, grizzly natural or kayak when it used to be a dollar. Best chew I ever tasted was Hawken. It came in small flakes and only came in Wintergreen. Oh man it is good. The only problem with it though was it would not last long because of the flakes and not to many places sell it. When they do, it's a good thing to stock up on them. You could only get 5-6 pinches out of it. The nastiest was a dried out Day-o- work log that came in a small brick. The kayak does not taste to well either. Beech Nut for the soft pouch. It tastes like raisins.
What are you guys paying for chew up in Denver? I've found a few gas stations and King Soopers that sell Cope and Skoal for $4 to $5 bucks.

I've heard that Hawken was tasty, real molassess taste? Kind of like Red Man but was sweeter.

OH yeah, that (missed)Days O Work stuff is rancid. I tried about two pinches off of a plug and that was enough. The first wasn't bad but I took a huge pinch on the second and before long I was swiming in that crap and I just wasn't feelin it.

I've heard some Beech Nut can be kind of ill too.

One of my buddies at work said way back one time he was traveling and bought some chew that was braided or spiral like a unicorn horn. He said that was raunchiest stuff he's ever tried and pitched it out the window as he was driving. Ever heard of that stuff? We've been trying to figure it out at work. Havn't had much luck.

fullgrownbear
Tue May 26th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Well, the odd thing is it never really had any effect on me until I got out of the Corps. I did have good dental hygiene, even in the field. Brushed dem' teef at least once a day.

With my current job working graves, it's definitely nice to pop in a dip every now and then to keep your senses sharp. However, I started to get heartburn, and I don't even gut it.

My gum line only recently started to recede, and really only when I started in on Grizzly, and dipping more than a can every two days.

An occasional dip doesn't hurt, but when I made a habit out of it (constantly had a dip in my mouth) that's when I started to notice the deterioration.

On top of that, nothing that is addictive can be good for you, except protein, right?:drink:

The Black Knight
Tue May 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Well, the odd thing is it never really had any effect on me until I got out of the Corps. I did have good dental hygiene, even in the field. Brushed dem' teef at least once a day.

With my current job working graves, it's definitely nice to pop in a dip every now and then to keep your senses sharp. However, I started to get heartburn, and I don't even gut it.

My gum line only recently started to recede, and really only when I started in on Grizzly, and dipping more than a can every two days.

An occasional dip doesn't hurt, but when I made a habit out of it (constantly had a dip in my mouth) that's when I started to notice the deterioration.

On top of that, nothing that is addictive can be good for you, except protein, right?:drink:
See that's what I was thinking, is it was probably something like Grizzly that was affecting the gums. Another buddy at work(yeah I know, we all chaw) loves the hell out of Grizzly. I won't go near that stuff.

And even once a day brushing is good especially in the field. Those with poor hygiene are more in the category of non-brushers. HAHA there's this guy we get alot of our tractors and parts from down in Fountain. And this dude has some serious teeth rot from chewing either Red Man his whole life and not brushing or chawin something hard. Because his teeth are black.

Only time I get heartburn is if I happen to let one slip and gut a bit of it. But it's only for a few minutes then it goes away. Gutting it is a sure way to some serious gut rot HAHA!

A can every two days is alot I think and having one in every minute of the day. I think I can get about 4 dips(usually 3) and that's my limit for the day. And if I can keep others from bumming a dip, I can make a can last almost two weeks. Almost to the point of it going bad(really happens with Cope Long Cut, because they use the cardboard can). Skoal will stay fresh forever, in a plastic can.

For me, it's mainly a flavor thing and something to do when I'm operating equipment or what have you. I have noticed keeping a dip in for a fairly long time now. At least an hour if not more. Which I guess is why I keep myself to 3 dips.

Oh I hear ya, nothing that is addictive can be good for you. Even chewing gum can be addictive. Constant sugar on the teeth ain't great for the enamol. And some of the gums they have out now, can almost knock you back when you first take a bite.

HAHA it's all bad, so chaw responsibly.

McVaaahhh
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I quit dipping about 8 years ago, after about 6 years of chewin. My poison of choice was Skoal Long Cut Straight and Cope Long Cut or snuff.

Favorite thing to do was when you had a dip or two left in your can of straight pour just a splash of peppermint schnapps in it. Now that is a buzz... Never really messed around with the cheaper brands, but chew was only $3/can when I was buying it. Shit, they used to give away free cans (logs if you asked nicely) of pretty much anything up at Wash Bar in Ft. Collins.

Never had any health problems from it, but can't say that I miss it.

Shea
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:56 AM

+brazillian

Big-J
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM
:lol:

I dipped once. Went to the rodeo and they were giving that stuff away, a friend scored some, we all decided to give it a shot. I swallowed some by accident, I turned green, threw up, never did it again. I didn't learn my lesson though, cuz I also tryed some chew. It was at baseball practice and some of the upper classmen were chewing and offered me some, I accepted. I didn't throw up this time, but I did catch a buzz and took a grounder to the chest. I would have rather yacked! :no: Never again though!

Panman06
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:40 AM

I started in the Corps as well. My first dip ever consisted of half a can of Cope. Not the smartest, but I was fresh out of boot at ITB. Used to be routine...after chow 0630, I'd drop about a 1/4 can before formation. Another 1/4 after noon chow. I was up to a can a day in the fleet. I used to get them at the PX for $2.00/can. :)

I still grab a pinch every now and then. Depending on where I am, it varies between Skoal (long) mint; apple; or Cope Bourbon. (need to dip discreetly at work)

Wyck
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Yeah nastiness. The worst is when you can see the crap in the guys teeth. Who would want to kiss that? PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mister BOYD
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah nastiness. The worst is when you can see the crap in the guys teeth. Who would want to kiss that? PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed! Then again.. I have no interest in kissing on guys anyway! Chew is some sick stuff. Would rather keep my gums, teeth and mouth as they were intended!

Wyck
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Agreed! Then again.. I have no interest in kissing on guys anyway! Chew is some sick stuff. Would rather keep my gums, teeth and mouth as they were intended!

I used to know a girl that chewed. Still disgusting.

Mister BOYD
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I used to know a girl that chewed. Still disgusting.

SICK. Good thing you quit huh?! ;)

Devaclis
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:20 AM
My sister is a Skoal girl. She is also a rodeo champion (3 years), redneck, hill william, badass.

Wanna fight about it?

Sortarican
Wed May 27th, 2009, 12:14 PM
My sister is a Skoal girl. She is also a rodeo champion (3 years), redneck, hill william, badass.

Wanna fight about it?

Mmmmmm....Dana's sister.

Shea
Wed May 27th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Wanna fight about it?

Her or you? Pretty sure I can take you :)

Horsman
Wed May 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Actually, I was seeing this girl originally from Boulder who I meet in Ocean City, MD - she would Dip all of the Time (odd waiting for her to pull out the dip for a Kiss)... and she was beautiful. Honey, was that Copenhagen???

PROFLYER
Wed May 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I went through a can of cope long a day for a while. From 15-22 or so. Then one day I just quit, tossed my can and never had another. However, the new camel SNUS pouches are really good. My buddy that works at the liquor store gave me a promo can and I kinda like them. No spit, taste like a breath mint and it's just enough to take the edge off. Those of you that chew like I did will prob need 5 pouches at once, but they're a nice alternative now and then.

Pandora-11
Wed May 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Bleeeechhhh! :puke:

Devaclis
Wed May 27th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Copenhagen it makes me feel so good.
Copenhagen the way I know it should.
I put a little chew in my mouth,
Go spittin and a-slobberin
All around the house, that
Copenhagen, it makes me feel so good.

I took a chew just the other night-
It made me feel so fine.
I grabbed my honey baby
And I pinched her ol behind.
She said, you better spit out that
Chewin tobaccer if you wanna kiss
Me on the big ol smacker,
That copenhagen, it makes me feel so good.

Chorus

I was sittin in a bar room
And I took a little dip--
Drinkin beer & talkin
But I had no place to spit.
So I spit a stream out on the floor,
And that bouncer flung me out the door,
That copenhagen, it makes me feel so good.

Chorus

Recitation

Its a cure all too-
It cures fits, warts, freckles, coughs,
Colds, runny nose.
Guaranteed not to rip, run or snag.
Makes conception a wonder and
Child birth a pleasure...
Thats copenhagen...

Sir Bacon Lube
Wed May 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I go for the shredded beef jerkey in a can. Looks like chew, just edible. Yeah...I know...poser....

Devaclis
Wed May 27th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Man your name and Bukkake are the only words I have seen with 2 k's back to back

kawasakirob
Wed May 27th, 2009, 04:14 PM

My lady does not care if I chew or not. She kisses me with it in or out. Does not matter to her. I've grown up alot of women who have put dip in more than I have. I started when I was 15 playing baseball at high school. Originally thought it was better than smoking:) Used to go through 5-6 tins a week and now go through about 3. I think women that chew are kind of sexy. :hump: WooHoo

THE BLACK KNIGHT-- The cost is rising quite a bit. Up in Winter Park it is around 6.50 for the good stuff and 3.50 for the Grizzly. In Denver I can find it for 4.50. Yeah getting heartburn is not cool. Usually Skoal and Timberwolf are the only that will do it for me though. This is embarrasing but the first time I ever had a chew was when I was a freshman in highschool. I was taking a pee and a kid walked in and had Kodiak Ice \. I asked him what it was and he gave me some. It was the last class of the day(Religion) and I sat at my desk and swallowed the whole thing. A few minutes later I was sweating bullets and puked all over my desk in Religion class. How much is it were you are at?

Devaclis
Wed May 27th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Real men use Skoal Bandits.

kawasakirob
Wed May 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Real men use Skoal Bandits.
Camel snuzzies man

The Black Knight
Wed May 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
My lady does not care if I chew or not. She kisses me with it in or out. Does not matter to her. I've grown up alot of women who have put dip in more than I have. I started when I was 15 playing baseball at high school. Originally thought it was better than smoking:) Used to go through 5-6 tins a week and now go through about 3. I think women that chew are kind of sexy. :hump: WooHoo

THE BLACK KNIGHT-- The cost is rising quite a bit. Up in Winter Park it is around 6.50 for the good stuff and 3.50 for the Grizzly. In Denver I can find it for 4.50. Yeah getting heartburn is not cool. Usually Skoal and Timberwolf are the only that will do it for me though. This is embarrasing but the first time I ever had a chew was when I was a freshman in highschool. I was taking a pee and a kid walked in and had Kodiak Ice \. I asked him what it was and he gave me some. It was the last class of the day(Religion) and I sat at my desk and swallowed the whole thing. A few minutes later I was sweating bullets and puked all over my desk in Religion class. How much is it were you are at?
I've been finding cans of Cope and Skoal for $4.00 to $4.50 depending on the store. I think I paid at King Soopers like $4.30 for my Skoal long cut Spearmint. I've yet to pay $5 for a can. And cheap stuff I can get real cheap. I think it's either Timberwolf or something with a Wolf on it, I can pick up a can for about $2.50 at Diamond Shamrock by my house.

I've heard the cost is going up, but have yet to see it down here in the Springs. The highest places for Skoal and Cope are 7 11's, man I've seen those thieves selling cans for $5.25+!!!

I think the best place to find just about anything you want are Loaf N' Jugs. I finally found one close to my work that carries Skoal Spearmint. So now I don't have to drive all the way to the North end of town to find it, having it close is nice.

Middle of the road dips(Grizzly, Kodiak) are around $3 to $3.50 where I'm at.

UglykidJoe
Wed May 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Cope Long cut, that Skoal is just too sweet for me.

kawasakirob
Wed May 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks bud, I usually just pick em up from the 7 11's because thats what it close to my house. Thanks for the tip, I'll swing by the Loaf N jugs to see the difference

drevinci
Wed May 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I don't chew any! It looks gross haha

The Black Knight
Wed May 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks bud, I usually just pick em up from the 7 11's because thats what it close to my house. Thanks for the tip, I'll swing by the Loaf N jugs to see the difference

Oh yeah also you might want to check the Loaf N' Jugs up there to for their buy 2 or more deals. The one I go to, if you buy two or more cans, the price is $3.89 per can. Which is excellent because it's Skoal or Cope.

The Black Knight
Wed May 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM
:lol:

I dipped once. Went to the rodeo and they were giving that stuff away, a friend scored some, we all decided to give it a shot. I swallowed some by accident, I turned green, threw up, never did it again. I didn't learn my lesson though, cuz I also tryed some chew. It was at baseball practice and some of the upper classmen were chewing and offered me some, I accepted. I didn't throw up this time, but I did catch a buzz and took a grounder to the chest. I would have rather yacked! :no: Never again though!
yeah if you're taking a dip for the first time and then gut it. I'm surprised puking was all you did. If you're not careful and not used to it, it will put you on your butt quick.

Depending on what you chew/dip, it's all in how you use it. Red Man(typical chew) can either be placed in the lip or actually chewed. Whereas Cope and Skoal are dip only(meaning placed in the lip). Trick is whether you've got a dip or chew in is to know when to purge. The longer you do it, the more you'll save up a nice juicy one. But if you're just starting out, spit out quick, because you'll be swimming if you don't.

I've haven't been chewing for very long(like years) but I'm to the point now where it's pretty much at will for me. I can keep it in and wait for a big splash. Or chuck it out if I need to take a drink.

HAHA there's another for all you guys who chew/dip. Can any of you drink or eat with a chaw in??

Myself I can drink with one in, but I'm not going to attempt to eat with one in. HAHA that's to much.

Cope Long cut, that Skoal is just too sweet for me.
Skoal seems to stay together better than Cope and will stay fresher longer. But I attribute that to the plastic can. That cardboard is nice but drys out your dip quick. If you can get through it in about a week then it goes bad. I've got a can of Skoal Long Cut in Apple, man is that strong. It's too sweet for me. Thing with Skoal is they have every kind of flavor. Cope is pretty unexiciting with 4 kinds.

SamuraiX
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Red Man or the good ol' Levi Garret... ssspppiiiittt. hell yeah i can drink with chaw in!

BeoBe
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
cope long, skoal straight or wintergreen long

FZRguy
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM
5 Cobalt, $1 for a 15 piece pack. And yes, I'm somewhat addicted to gum.

Bueller
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:39 PM
One of the best things I ever quit doing. No desire to ever put that shit back in my mouth.

Carry on.

kawasakirob
Thu May 28th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Something about letting loose a black stream from your mouth is pretty neat, then having a little bit drabble on your shirt, even better.

#1Townie
Thu May 28th, 2009, 11:18 AM
cope long cut.. whisky blend if i can find it..

Zach929rr
Thu May 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I have gone between smoking and dippin Cope a few times.

The Black Knight
Thu May 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Something about letting loose a black stream from your mouth is pretty neat, then having a little bit drabble on your shirt, even better.
Exactly, it's fun is the main thing I get out it and it's something to do. Fills the time when I'm running equipment and you've got no one else around. I've even got creative with some of my spits. Right now, I like holding it in to the last moment and letting loose a serious stream of chaw. The sound it makes with it hits the ground is great!! HAHA. When I'm done, I love taking the chaw out and throwing it on a tree just to watch it stick as I'm on a tractor or mowing. It's the little things in life that make the day go great :up:

Yeah I've heard that stuff is tough to find and when you do find it, buy it up. I don't mind regular Long Cut, it's just kind of bland after awhile.

kawasakirob
Thu May 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM
:) Ha! Exactly. I remember taking road trips and trying to see if I could fill the 20oz bottle with spit. The Wonderful joys of Chew

kawasakirob
Thu May 28th, 2009, 04:57 PM

I get so confused with Cope sometimes. Was Black, bourbon, and Whiskey the same? Or were they different?

The Black Knight
Thu May 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
:) Ha! Exactly. I remember taking road trips and trying to see if I could fill the 20oz bottle with spit. The Wonderful joys of Chew
HAHAHA!! it's fun the whole family can enjoy!!

BHeth
Thu May 28th, 2009, 08:10 PM
My old man always chewed something. Cope if he dipped, Red Man when he chewed. He started giving it to me when I was 7 or so. Not an unusual thing where I came from. I used it off and on for a few years until I started smoking. Thanks dad! Warm memories!! :drink:

Here's the thing. My old man guts the juice. Always. I always did, as well. Talk about a fuckin' buzz. He always told me that's how you did it and the dudes that spit were nasty, driving around in their pick ups with a soda can full of tobacco juice, so I just followed suit. It was quite a while before I realized that absolutely no one else I had ever met gutted it and my dad was just a freaking moron. :cry:

The Black Knight
Thu May 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM
My old man always chewed something. Cope if he dipped, Red Man when he chewed. He started giving it to me when I was 7 or so. Not an unusual thing where I came from. I used it off and on for a few years until I started smoking. Thanks dad! Warm memories!! :drink:

Here's the thing. My old man guts the juice. Always. I always did, as well. Talk about a fuckin' buzz. He always told me that's how you did it and the dudes that spit were nasty, driving around in their pick ups with a soda can full of tobacco juice, so I just followed suit. It was quite a while before I realized that absolutely no one else I had ever met gutted it and my dad was just a freaking moron. :cry:
HAHAHA!! that's hilarious man.

I can't stand gutting it. Talk about heart burn, it's like liquid fire when it goes down. Your dad may have been trying to get you to quit it(it's a thought), figured if you hated it when you gutted it then you would quit. Obviously it didn't work HAHA.

BHeth
Thu May 28th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Your dad may have been trying to get you to quit it(it's a thought), figured if you hated it when you gutted it then you would quit.

I wish that were true. Like he was using some reverse psychology or a jedi mind trick on me. But, nah. He's been gutting it for 30 some years.

The Black Knight
Thu May 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I wish that were true. Like he was using some reverse psychology or a jedi mind trick on me. But, nah. He's been gutting it for 30 some years.

:puke:

sounds like some serious gut rot. If it hasn't phased him in 30 years, I guess he's o.k.

#1Townie
Fri May 29th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I get so confused with Cope sometimes. Was Black, bourbon, and Whiskey the same? Or were they different?

i think its all diffrent.. i had the first whisky blend last summer at the state fair and they had the samples of the new flavors.. im a big jd fan so i loved the idea of it..