PDA

View Full Version : Aurora get Neckcar and more!

SamuraiX
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:42 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=116594&catid=339

4 mile road course!!!

BeoBe
Wed May 27th, 2009, 07:53 PM
that will be nice... not sure if its very big though... but still would be sweet...

JustSomeDude
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM
that will be nice... not sure if its very big though... but still would be sweet...

Considering that Pueblo is 2.2 miles, HPR is 2.6 miles, and Miller is 4.5 miles (which can split into two 2.2 mile courses), I think a 4-mile road course is plenty big. :shocked: Besides, it's less than 20 minutes from downtown... what's there to complain about?!

BeoBe
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM
no i meant stands wise.. my bad

ChrisCBX
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:41 PM
no i meant stands wise.. my bad

Looks like between 65,000 and 100,000 capacity per the Denver Post story..............

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32071

For a motorhead, a new track is always a good thing.:)

dirkterrell
Wed May 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM
what's there to complain about?!

Financing it with tax dollars. Governments shouldn't be in the business of building tracks (or stadiums, etc). HPR and Miller are how it should be done.

Dirk

JustSomeDude
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Financing it with tax dollars. Governments shouldn't be in the business of building tracks (or stadiums, etc). HPR and Miller are how it should be done.

Dirk

Wait... you mean government isn't supposed to take care of every aspect of my life?

:scramble:

SamuraiX
Wed May 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM
They arent in the business of building tracks or we'd have more by now!! - they are effectively "building business"- FOR the state by offering tax incentives for those left with two pennies to rub together. Same reason why fort 500 companies are moving here. And yes the gov. will take care of you - ALL. one by one...

My favorite comment on 9news:
"Beautiful land my a $$ nothing but railroad tracks and prairie dogs out that way. pave it over with beautiful smooth racetrack and lets make some noise!" hell yeah.

ChrisCBX
Wed May 27th, 2009, 10:03 PM
It would have been interesting to learn how the developer of this track plans on operating it profitably. Is he planning on getting a Sprint Cup race? It would seem there would be a need to schedule some high profile, big revenue events, for this track to be a success.

Otherwise, putting any money into it, public or private, would seem like a bad investment.

dirkterrell
Wed May 27th, 2009, 11:38 PM
They arent in the business of building tracks or we'd have more by now!! - they are effectively "building business"- FOR the state by offering tax incentives for those left with two pennies to rub together.

Government's job isn't to build business. Business builds itself when taxes are low and government stays out of the way. NASCAR has money. If they want to have a track here, they should build it themselves.

Dirk

SamuraiX
Thu May 28th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Government's job isn't to build business. Business builds itself when taxes are low and government stays out of the way. NASCAR has money. If they want to have a track here, they should build it themselves.

Dirk

An open door to previously protected land and huge tax incentives sound pretty close to me?
Has NECKCAR itself built ANY of the previous tracks?

I say flatten that crap-hole arapahoe park and put it there - them ponies never treated me well anyway.

THE3BS
Thu May 28th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Considering that private investors have made two major attempts to build a motorsports park in Colorado and have been voted down both times after investing massive amounts of time and massive amounts of money I would say that is the only likely way to get a major park in the state at this point.

PPIR secretly funded the group CRASH. CRASH mislead the public and ultimately resulted in the demise of the 500 million dollar super sports park that was going to be privately funded by Penske and the Bandimere family. The people of Commerce City who claimed to have moved the city for its "peace and tranquility" voted down the park being proposed by the owner of the nuggets and av's.

I was begining to think that professional motorsports were not going to ever have a real chance in this state. Looks like the government is willing to give the push to get them going in the right direction.

Sortarican
Thu May 28th, 2009, 07:29 AM
.... The people of Commerce City who claimed to have moved the city for its "peace and tranquility" voted down the park.....

I always thought they moved there for the fresh air and views of the refinery.

Captain Obvious
Thu May 28th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Government's job isn't to build business. Business builds itself when taxes are low and government stays out of the way.

Whhhaaaaa??? It seems to work when the govt gives millions of dollars worth of tax payers money in incentives, gives millions in tax breaks and then pays for infrastructure to be built to bring in big business. Of course that is at the expense of the smaller mom and pop stores, but doesn't that work for Walmart? :) Look at all the new jobs they create! But ignore the businesses that are laying people off and going under.

Well, I suppose it works great for Walmart. :banghead:

Captain Obvious
Thu May 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Considering that private investors have made two major attempts to build a motorsports park in Colorado and have been voted down both times after investing massive amounts of time and massive amounts of money I would say that is the only likely way to get a major park in the state at this point.

Then perhaps it isn't really that important for the economy. Wouldn't $200million go further to invest in local medical companies that are working on a new technology and would have social as well as financial impacts for CO and beyond. Govt is in the business to govern, not speculatively invest in racing. I love that there is going to be a new track, hate that NASCAR will make millions off of the govt giving my tax paying money away. Don't we have enough NASCAR venues anyways?

TFOGGuys
Thu May 28th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Funny, this looks a lot like the location that CAMA got shot down on for building a 2nd Creek replacement about 6 years ago. :wtf: I wonder how suddenly the infrastructure is now adequate? Maybe some politician got an new house and a trip to Rio?. It's roughly 10 minutes from my front door. I like the idea of a new track, but agree that governments should NOT be in the business of building or running them. Ask the City of La Junta how that worked for them.....:banghead:

asp_125
Thu May 28th, 2009, 08:12 AM
3.5mi road course in the same facility as a mile oval? Even laid out like the picture shows, it'll be slightly less twisty than IMI.

TFOGGuys
Thu May 28th, 2009, 08:24 AM
3.5mi road course in the same facility as a mile oval? Even laid out like the picture shows, it'll be slightly less twisty than IMI.

Looks like the road course is run both inside and outside the oval, through 2 tunnels :dunno: :shocked:.....yeah that's gotta be safe.....

THE3BS
Thu May 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM
It will be interesting to see if NASCAR will even allow a NASCAR sanctioned event here. As is the racers schedules are jam packed and I know NASCAR doesn't like to run on short tracks anymore. A 1 mile oval may not be enough to draw NASCARS attention for a Sprint cup event. How big was the oval at PPIR? I know it was to short to get Sprint cup racing there.

I don't know all the details about the governments involvment in this but my guess is that at some point the government will either sell the facility to a private investor or lease it out to a private investor with an end result of the tax money invested turning into a nice profit machine that will raise more revenue for other infrastructure projects, schools, whatever...

I'd much rather see the government throw 200 million into a project that could have a nice return on their investment then see them throw 100's of billions of dollars into auto manufacturers that are beyond help.

dirkterrell
Thu May 28th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I don't know all the details about the governments involvment in this but my guess is that at some point the government will either sell the facility to a private investor or lease it out to a private investor with an end result of the tax money invested turning into a nice profit machine that will raise more revenue for other infrastructure projects, schools, whatever...

If a track could generate such profits, why do private investors need government money to build it? Seems to me if they really believed that kind of money was to be made, they'd do it themselves and not have the government be in a position to tell them how to run it.

Dirk

THE3BS
Thu May 28th, 2009, 09:35 AM
If a track could generate such profits, why do private investors need government money to build it? Seems to me if they really believed that kind of money was to be made, they'd do it themselves and not have the government be in a position to tell them how to run it.

Dirk

Read Post # 12

This link outlines a lot of what has happened.

http://www.jayski.com/pages/tracks/denver.htm

If I was a private investor I wouldn't invest a dollar of my money into a track that hasn't been approved. Penske has lost 10's if not 20's of millions of dollars because of this state. The Bandimere family also lost out on millions because of the Penske park being shot down, not only did they lose out on selling their existing location at a major premium, they may also end up losing the mile high nationals because the facility is no longer large enough to properly accomodate proffessional drag racing.

This talks about the most recent attempt to build a track in commerce city.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5465359,00.html

This would have used 400 million in Private money to build a track.

SamuraiX
Thu May 28th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Looks like the road course is run both inside and outside the oval, through 2 tunnels :dunno: :shocked:.....yeah that's gotta be safe.....

It would be cool though!!, but i would guess those two roads are just for transport and arent race surface, the turns at either end are way too sharp to be for racing>

kawasakirob
Thu May 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM
NASCAR is a cash cow, hope it will not take too much business away from the friendly people over at HPR. Watching NASCAR is boring, but the party's are pretty nice. .............JR's hiding fuel in the fraaame boy!

kawasakirob
Thu May 28th, 2009, 09:55 AM
The open wheels would be great to see.

dirkterrell
Thu May 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM
If I was a private investor I wouldn't invest a dollar of my money into a track that hasn't been approved. Penske has lost 10's if not 20's of millions of dollars because of this state.

Democracy is tough that way. If the people of Commerce City didn't want a track, that's their right. If Penske/Bandimere didn't market it right, that's their fault. What we don't need is government coming in and spending the tax money of the very people who voted it down to force it down their throats. If it makes sense for a community to have a track and it can be profitable, a track will be built. Otherwise, it's just government heavy-handedness.

Dirk

JustSomeDude
Thu May 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM

That image looks like an artist's rendition based on, at best, very preliminary Schematic Design documents/narratives. With ground breaking over a year away, there is plenty of design work yet to be completed. The road track details likely won't be finalized for some time. The current info looks to be focused on details regarding the oval, which I'm sure will be their money-maker (NASCAR, etc.). Unfortunately, that does make the road course a bit of an afterthought from the design perspective.

The road course details will come in time - hold your horses! :)