PDA

View Full Version : Deja vu - 500r idle/oil leak

Jessica
Tue Jul 8th, 2003, 02:30 PM
I also have a '98 500r that I'm either selling soon or tracking.

Also having problems with idle...not problems with stalling, but the idle speed varies all over...(1k to 3.5k) during a ride.

The power (yes, it has some) isn't as smooth as it used to be. it's very erratic --sometimes responds quickly to throttle, sometimes it has to think about it for a moment first. I got an SV this spring, and barely ride the 500 anymore. I'm wondering if my judgment of the smoothness of the 500 has been clouded by riding the newer bike.

When I was getting the 500r ready for the track last week, it was leaking oil. I've owned the bike for a year now and never had leaks. The first thing I did was drain excess oil out of it (over filled at last change), but there's still a leak.

I'm not very mechanically inclined and don't have many tools, but would like to learn. If someone could ride my bike and try to diagnose what's going on with it and also help out with the leak, I would greatly appreciate it and will pick up your next tab at Caldonia's or something like that.

I'm pretty sure the carbs need to be cleaned. Is this something that can be done outside of a shop? I don't want to put a lot of money into this bike.

Thanks,
Jessica

yakuza
Tue Jul 8th, 2003, 02:47 PM
If the bike has been sitting for awhile, perhaps some of the intake couplings or manifold has a leak, I've seen vacuum leaks cause erratic idling. That seems a bit premature for a '98 model bike, though.

It's hard to guess about the oil leak without seeing it, hopefully somebody else can help you with that part. :)

BladeRider
Tue Jul 8th, 2003, 04:14 PM
A little triva, did you know the ex500r's engine design is based precisely on the zx1000r's from 1986-87? I only know that because I still have one. :) Worked over the carbs several times as well.

It sounds like your pilot jets may be clogged which is really only fixed by taking the carbs off and cleaning them. Like Alex said though, I'd really have to see and hear the bike to evaluate what's really going on. I live just north of Denver in Erie. If that's nearby, you could bring the bike over or meet somewhere and I'll give you my opinion. Or maybe one of the other group members closer to you could look at it.

rocktboy
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 08:27 AM
hi jessica,
how much would you want for your ex500? i have a friend who might be interested.......