PDA

View Full Version : Who said that a Punk Rock Band...

Tipys
Sat May 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Couldn't bust out a piano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXy7aykCG6Q

albinohickey
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah they did that at Punk Rocks. Getting their Cold Play on.

Devaclis
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 09:14 AM
Were there any punk bands there? Like REAL punk bands?

Matty
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 09:25 AM
ya, i was wondering when The Offspring was considered Punk?

Devaclis
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 09:29 AM
the Offspring are not Punk. Goldfinger is not Punk, Green Day is not punk. Those are bands for kids who want to feel punk but do not want the hassle of actually being punk. Poser fucks.

salsashark
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM
Agreed...

pop punk =/= true punk

While quirky and fun to listen to (I still think Dookie is a great album), I consider bands like Dropkick Murphys to be more punk then these guys.

Devaclis
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM
Sure, fun to listen to, and it is music, everyone has their own tastes. But bubblegum punk is not punk.

Sorry to sidetrack.

dirkterrell
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM
This is Punk.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/images/classic4pistolsvicious.l.jpg

Devaclis
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 09:51 AM
THAT is punk^^^

Rotten still does not give about shit about anything other than himself. I like it. Hell, Sid could not even play guitar. He sucked and was faking it at every show. When you have a group or working class guys who grew up under the foot of the system and were beat down by it at every turn, you have the beginnings of a punk movement. Be inciteful, rebellious, fight your ass off so you can do whatever the hell you want. I really like that aspect of punk music and the culture. Very much like the straight edge groups of the early 90's. Don't let anyone tell you how to do what you do.

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 10:05 AM
Regardless, it's still terrible music.

Devaclis
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
Your Opinion

My Opinion, 3 green day songs are ok. I like Offspring but musically they are 5 year olds. The Buzzcocks, Sex Pistols, Descendants, the Ruts, and others play horribly but their message is pretty pure. If you don't like us or what we do, go fuck yourself. And that is what I think about my opinion.

Devaclis
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 10:17 AM
LOL I was listening to teh DropKick Murphys the other day (Lindsey turned me on to them) and I was thinking that I really like these guys. They are a little hard, good lyrics, nice message. Then I thought "I must be getting fucking old" I really do like them tho, thanks Linds!!

Matty
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Minor Threat, Decendants, Misfits, Bad Religion, Black Flag, Social Distortion (Rockabily, but still punk), Dead Kennedy's, Circle Jerks, just to name a few.

Man i miss being in high school.

Matty
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 11:11 AM
Then there's modern day punk, which i like to call, "Surfer Punk."

Pennywise, NOFX, RKL, Rancid, AFI, Tiger Army, Strung Out, No Use For A Name, Lagwagon, Unwritten Law, and Authority Zero.

Tipys
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM

I do agree The Offspring really isn't punk but really didn't know how else to put it.

But The Vandals were there.

TheStig
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 08:52 PM
Good term for Pennywise, surfer punk. I love pennywise!