PDA

View Full Version : riding keeps you young

SaShWhO
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 10:05 AM
Motorcycles help keep you young: software expert March 4, 2009
Riding motorcycles helps keep drivers young by invigorating their brains, the scientist behind popular "Brain Training" computer software said Wednesday, citing a new scientific study.
"The driver's brain gets activated by riding motorbikes" in part because it requires heightened alertness, Ryuta Kawashima said after his research team and Yamaha Motor conducted a string of experiments involving middle-aged men.
"In a convenient and easy environment, the human mind and body get used to setting the hurdle low," he warned. "Our final conclusion is that riding motorcycles can lead to smart ageing."
Kawashima is the designer of "Brain Training" software, which incorporates quizzes and other games and is available on the Nintendo DS game console under the name "Brain Age" in North America.
A self-professed motorcycle fan, 49-year-old Kawashima cited a new study conducted jointly by Yamaha and Tohoku University, for which he works.
One experiment involved 22 men, all in their 40s and 50s, who held motorcycle licences but had not taken a ride for at least a decade.
They were randomly split into two groups -- one asked to resume riding motorcycles in everyday life for two months, and another that kept using bicycles or cars.
"The group that rode motorbikes posted higher marks in cognitive function tests," Kawashima said.
In one test, which required the men to remember a set of numbers in reverse order, the riders' scores jumped by more than 50 percent in two months, while the non-riders' marks deteriorated slightly, he said.
The riders also said they made fewer mistakes at work and felt happier.
"Mental care is a very big issue in modern society," said Kawashima. "I think we made an interesting stir here as data showed you can improve your mental condition simply by using motorbikes to commute."

© 2009 AFP (http://news.smh.com.au/action/displayCopyrightNotice?sourceOrganisation=AFP)

DevilsTonic
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 10:20 AM
I should share this with the chic who told me that she was going to quit riding because she was afraid that wearing a helmet and all the gear would give her wrinkles.

mtnairlover
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 10:27 AM
I should share this with the chic who told me that she was going to quit riding because she was afraid that wearing a helmet and all the gear would give her wrinkles.

lol...wow...just wow.

I think we all can attest to the feel-good'ness of riding. The lack of wrinkles is more because of my extra porkiness, but that hasn't kept me from continuing to ride. More gray hairs also is just a part of my body aging, but brain function? Now, that's a different story. Like the article mentions, it's a brain thing.

You should share the article with her.

asp_125
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM
The only wrinkles you can get from riding are the ones around your smile. Well.. that and the pruning from getting caught riding in a rainstorm.

kawasakirob
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 10:56 AM
Hell yeah it does. I was attending a track day and Doug Polen was there conducting his riding school. He had a guy in his class who rolled up in a mercedes van and unloaded two brand new TRICKED out 1198. I went over there and talked with him. His name was John. he was in his late 50's early 60's and he ripped. Flew by my ass. So smooth. He said he and Doug raced in the championship way back when. When he and Doug hit the track, IT was great seeing them real EVERY ONE in. He would come back in the pits, take off his helmet, and be grinning ear to ear flashing me a thumbs up. My dad 58, rides a Busa cross country and is not afraid to do back to nack 1,000mi days. Kid at heart, and can party like he is still 18. The majority of people I ride with are older, there outlook on riding, is fantastic. Have to respect the Old Skool

Pandora-11
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
I'm going to give this article to my kids....especially my daughter whose comment to me was this..."This is the WORST midlife crisis EVER!!!!"

Mental
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 06:01 PM
..."Mental care is a very big issue in modern society," said Kawashima.... "

It is a big deal, and I want you all to know. I do care.

Don't. The girls on this site have likle the best dude to chick ratio ever. Of course most of us are taken, or helpless losers, sociallly inept freaks, prostitutes, ugly, or all of the above but thats not the piont

Tipys
Mon Jun 1st, 2009, 09:03 PM
Ya thanks for calling my single ass out in your post Mental. Why do I have to be freaking all the above.

But anyway how many times is this going to be reposted?

DevilsTonic
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
It is a big deal, and I want you all to know. I do care.

Don't. The girls on this site have likle the best dude to chick ratio ever. Of course most of us are taken, or helpless losers, sociallly inept freaks, prostitutes, ugly, or all of the above but thats not the piontYea I haven't decided if that ratio is a good thing or a bad thing. :leghump: :)