PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually ride at The Pace?

BHeth
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
I've been riding at The Pace since I read the article back in 91. Prior to that, we hauled ass down the straight, crawled through the corner, and hauled ass down the next straight. We thought that's what "slow in, fast out" meant. I was familiar with Ienatsch, and his skill level, and figured if it was his way I should check it out.

I love riding at The Pace, mainly because I get to have fun in the corners without risking a big ticket in the straights. I love to snap the bike in and out of corners. I love the feeling of seeing the 15 mph corner sign before a set of curves and accelerating into them. I lost most of my riding buddies due to my new style. They didn't buy sportbikes so they could pace themselves.

When I first found CSC, I was really psyched that The Pace article was on the website. I hadn't read it in forever, and was excited to find people who rode with the same philosophy.

Unfortunately, I don't hear much about it. I read lots of stories about hauling ass and getting tickets. I read about people going on a "spirited ride" and then see the pics they took that reveal what spirited means to them. An inch of strip on either side of the rear tire tells the story. I know they are riding in the exact opposite of the way I want to ride.

Or are lots of you riding at The Pace, and I just don't hear about it because riding in this fashion tends to be uneventful? I haven't had a ticket on a bike in 19 years, and haven't had a "moment" in a corner in a long, long time.

Are there others riding at The Pace who, like me, don't have much to say about their ride other than that they had a blast?

Please note, I am not trying to tell anyone how to ride, just asking some questions. I am no saint, and have done my share of hooligan antics.

Tipys
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
LOL my last ticket was while going through a corner.

Spiderman
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
I'm not certain, but I think there are small-ish groups (cliques?) of people who know each other, are comfortable riding with each other, and ride in a similar fashion as described in The Pace (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/ThePace.html). I think perhaps they just don't advertise their rides publicly. So I guess the only way to find a group like that would be to post up, similarly to what you have done, looking for others who ride The Pace. 8)

Devaclis
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Yes, I ride The Pace

Sean
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
:up:

Tipys
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Yes, I ride The Pace

But isn't that only because your bike tops out at 60mph.

jimwallace
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
i love The Pace, but there are times I am a bit more "spirited" than the pace......but my "spirited" does not involve leaving chicken strips.......spirited in a straight stretch is a bit of a YAWN.

BHeth
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
LOL my last ticket was while going through a corner.

That sucks, man. I hope you were having fun while it happened. I figure if I get one in a corner, it's much more worth it than getting nailed just going down the highway or something boring like that.

BHeth
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
I'm not certain, but I think there are small-ish groups (cliques?) of people who know each other, are comfortable riding with each other, and ride in a similar fashion as described in The Pace (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/ThePace.html). I think perhaps they just don't advertise their rides publicly. So I guess the only way to find a group like that would be to post up, similarly to what you have done, looking for others who ride The Pace. 8)

I think you probably nailed it, Wallcrawler.

jimwallace
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
actually tipys and myself shared in the in-corner ticket experience......cops got us both at the same time. his was 23 over and mine was 26 over, but it was fun

BHeth
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
i love The Pace, but there are times I am a bit more "spirited" than the pace......but my "spirited" does not involve leaving chicken strips.......spirited in a straight stretch is a bit of a YAWN.

Sounds like you are talking about spirited in the corners, using your whole tire, and taking it easier on the straights. Sounds like The Pace, to me.

McVaaahhh
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
The Pace is a great read, and I certainly ride in a similar fashion. :up:

Devaclis
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
But isn't that only because your bike tops out at 60mph.

Before I had it geared it would pass 100. It now hits 90 comfortably.

BTW: The Pace is not about top speed. I can comfortably and quickly run most of the front range canyons with no brakes, taking great lines and having a blast.

jimwallace
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:29 AM
Sounds like you are talking about spirited in the corners, using your whole tire, and taking it easier on the straights. Sounds like The Pace, to me.
by spirited i mean that there have been times i have run a little wide of my intended line or had to trim speed off, whereas riding the pace you shouldnt have to do either of those.

Tipys
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Before I had it geared it would pass 100. It now hits 90 comfortably.

BTW: The Pace is not about top speed. I can comfortably and quickly run most of the front range canyons with no brakes, taking great lines and having a blast.

Oh i know my point was more along the lines of you cant go fast in the streights if your top speed is only 60. It was a lame joke.

Devaclis
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
60 isn't fast? :)

Tipys
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
^^^^ That was kinda my point.

Aracheon
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM

+1

I could spend a good 30 minutes writing a paper on why I will not ride in large groups - but suffice to say that I'm much more comfortable in a 6-person group of other riders that I know and trust - and I will often Pace the ride if I'm out in front. It keeps my own riding in check, is a ton of fun, and also helps to keep my group together.

asp_125
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
I ride the Pace... a fast pace. I don't WOT out of corners only to slam on the brakes at the next. In fact going up & down 7 I hardly use the brakes anymore, just pick the right gears. You're so much easier on equipment riding the Pace. It's more fun picking the right entry speed and maintaining a flow through a set of corners, progressively squeezing the throttle on exits than it is about all out speed.

eg bter
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:23 AM
:imwithstupid: It is much more fun riding this way, though I do hang off the bike sometimes for fun...

I have ridden with countless others that don't, they prefer fast straights and braking into corners...it gets annoying

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
I rode the pace to UT last weekend. It does vary depending on the conditions.

jimwallace
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
the pace also varies depending on the person too. im sure rossi's "pace" would make me look like i am standing still. i think its really more about smooth in, smooth through, and smooth out.

asp_125
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
the pace also varies depending on the person too. im sure rossi's "pace" would make me look like i am standing still. i think its really more about smooth in, smooth through, and smooth out.

Absolutely, "The Pace" doesn't set what speed you are supposed to ride at. It's a guideline on being smooth and not creating an accordion effect in a group; which really decreases the enjoyment of a ride. The reason that happens in bigger groups is that invariably someone's pace isn't in synch with the rest of the group, and you get bunching up or gapping. That messes up riders as they try to pass, or catch up, or over ride their ability.

Motodrew
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
BHeth, if its a challenge you are looking for you can try keeping up with me. :) Ha, jk. But most of us that ride the Pace^2 keep it to small groups less than 5 or 6. Try to join a small group in the Canyon Carving section during the week. That's when those of us get more 'spirited' due to less traffic/ bicycles/ distractions.

MetaLord 9
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
The pace is more about riding to a percentage of your abilities and less about adhering to speed limits. Most of the crew I ride with top out at about 60% of their abilities on the street. That's not to say that they're slow by any means. Some of the folks in the group are faster and cleaner than I'll ever be and I really only see them at major turns in the routes and when we stop. I'm a big fan of engine braking, staying in a low gear on street corners, and picking an entry speed I'm comfortable with. I'd much rather come out of a corner going "I can speed that entry up next time" rather than hitting the apex going "Shit! That was WAAAAAY to fast in..."

I was riding with someone new over the weekend and one of the things I told them was not to watch for my brake lights b/c I try not to get on the brakes going into a corner.

The other reason you're hearing about folks getting popped for speeding, etc. is because it's the major event of the ride when it happens. Most rides go off without a hitch or without any trouble so you never hear about them. Only a small percentage of the rides I've heard of involve close encounters with phsyics or law enforcement.

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
I think you will find that people's idea of "spirited" will vary from person to person and small group to small group. I've ridden with a small group where one person said, "And you call that taking it easy?..." even though I was taking it easy. I've also ridden in small groups where their "taking it easy" was my really quick. So, it all depends.

The one thing that is a constant in all of the rides I've been on though, has been the "Pace" mentality. I rarely hit the brakes, unless I think I'm getting too close to the person in front of me in a corner. Going too fast in the straights to me, is hitting 90+mph. I can do 90mph on wide sweepers, but more than that, and I think I'm pushing myself too much and just being more like an ass than anything.

Even though I ride the Pace, I too, have gotten pulled over. Didn't get a ticket, but got a nice long speech by our favorite, Officer Robinson on hwy7 last year. Was doing 68 in a corner and in a 40mph zone (maybe a 35mph corner). I was sort of off the bike a tad and he was coming around a rock wall in mid-corner. I don't think it was his radar that got me, just his judgment. Anyway, so that's my spirited. And I know for darn sure that there are others here who ride much more quickly up and down hwy7 than I do.

Oh and even though I've mentioned speeds, I only mention them because I do look on occasion...only to get an idea of what my bike sounds like at certain rpm's, in certain gears, at certain speeds.

Motodrew
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
+1 MetaLord_9

Sully
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Even though I ride the Pace, I too, have gotten pulled over. Didn't get a ticket, but got a nice long speech by our favorite, Officer Robinson on hwy7 last year. Was doing 68 in a corner and in a 40mph zone (maybe a 35mph corner). I was sort of off the bike a tad and he was coming around a rock wall in mid-corner. I don't think it was his radar that got me, just his judgment. Anyway, so that's my spirited. And I know for darn sure that there are others here who ride much more quickly up and down hwy7 than I do.

Oh and even though I've mentioned speeds, I only mention them because I do look on occasion...only to get an idea of what my bike sounds like at certain rpm's, in certain gears, at certain speeds.

You were just warming up Officer Robinson for us... devil woman!
:hibye:.. yeah.. busted in a corner going 20+ over .. on a slower day... :rant:....

SaShWhO
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:18 PM
my skills have deteriorated over the years due to crashes and watching others crash and die.
I pretty much try to ride the pace, though, I've developed the nasty habit of taping my brake to "set my entry speed" regardless of what speed I'm coming in at (eg betr will vouch for this and I believe he's referring to me as one of those annoying peeps).

OUTLAWD
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm with Metalord...

drago52
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
On the several group rides I've been on, I pretty much ride at the pace of the front 4 or 5 riders. Unless they are really ballin' through the canyons, I really haven't needed to grab the brake to scrub speed entering turns. When I'm riding solo (or leading), I usually ride up and around The Pace, but never commit hard to blind curves. I never cross the lane divider unless to pass.

Also, I take a different corner line on the street than on the track. I'll stay on the outside of the lane through a turn until I can see the exit, then I'll hit the apex of the turn. It gives more time to react to anything in the road.

Ricky
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
I'm starting to pick up on this whole pace thing. I've come to realize coming into corners so hot isn't the way to go. When you can learn to control with engine and gearing only, it's so much less effort.

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
You were just warming up Officer Robinson for us... devil woman!
:hibye:.. yeah.. busted in a corner going 20+ over .. on a slower day... :rant:....

That was one of my happier days riding in the canyon....althoooo...I think I like it better when I can get to the bottom of the canyon without hitting traffic:hump:, and without seeing any law enforcement.:D

Sully
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
without seeing any law enforcement.

That is soooo rare nowadays... :(

McVaaahhh
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
I rarely use my brakes except for the sharpest of corners. Even on routes like the Deer Creek High Grade I use engine breaking for those switch-backs and try to be smooth throughout.

I'm with Chris, it's a much better feeling to say "I can do that faster", than "Shit, that was too fast, and I need to change my pants." :D

To me, Canyon Riding is about letting go of the rest of the B.S. that fills our lives on a daily basis. If I keep a healthy pace I don't have to concern myself (that much) with law enforcement or being in way over my head in a corner when gravel pops up or other assorted hazards. When I ride the canyons I feel myself relax and let go just a bit.

Some folks get a rush out of going as fast as they can, but I bet you they aren't having as much fun as I am. :up:

Jim_Vess
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
I rarely use my brakes except for the sharpest of corners. Even on routes like the Deer Creek High Grade I use engine breaking for those switch-backs and try to be smooth throughout.

I'm with Chris, it's a much better feeling to say "I can do that faster", than "Shit, that was too fast, and I need to change my pants." :D

To me, Canyon Riding is about letting go of the rest of the B.S. that fills our lives on a daily basis. If I keep a healthy pace I don't have to concern myself (that much) with law enforcement or being in way over my head in a corner when gravel pops up or other assorted hazards. When I ride the canyons I feel myself relax and let go just a bit.

Some folks get a rush out of going as fast as they can, but I bet you they aren't having as much fun as I am. :up:

+1 - I couldn't have said it better myself.

FZRguy
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Pace rider here...all about smooth and flow in the canyons for me.

Think
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
I think you will find that people's idea of "spirited" will vary from person to person and small group to small group. I've ridden with a small group where one person said, "And you call that taking it easy?..." even though I was taking it easy. I've also ridden in small groups where their "taking it easy" was my really quick. So, it all depends.
*raises hand* - I remember that ride, one of the better rides I've ever been on.

I generally don't particularly enjoy hauling ass down straights. In fact, I go at most 5-10 over on straights in the canyons. Definitely can't say the same about corners.:bananna:

Bueller
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:48 AM
I don't ride

mtnairlover
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
*raises hand* - I remember that ride, one of the better rides I've ever been on.

I generally don't particularly enjoy hauling ass down straights. In fact, I go at most 5-10 over on straights in the canyons. Definitely can't say the same about corners.:bananna:

You will have to join me on a ride again when you get back from MD. Be prepared for a long day, cuz I like the all-day trips filled with awesome roads, scenery and great riding buddies.:)

King Nothing
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
I don't ride+1

asp_125
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
You will have to join me on a ride again when you get back from MD. Be prepared for a long day, cuz I like the all-day trips filled with awesome roads, scenery and great riding buddies.:)

+1 Soon as the weather pattern breaks I think some long day trips are in order. Gotta bag some high passes.

TFOGGuys
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
I ride like a scared little girl:shocked:, on tires that are so square the bike will stand up by itself. With my helmet on backwards. At 35 mph down the interstate. Canyons are scary, because of those corner things. I usually stop the bike and get off it and push it carefully around corners, because leaning is scary.

Motodrew
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
I don't ride

I ride like a scared little girl:shocked:, on tires that are so square the bike will stand up by itself. With my helmet on backwards. At 35 mph down the interstate. Canyons are scary, because of those corner things. I usually stop the bike and get off it and push it carefully around corners, because leaning is scary.

:rolleyes: LOL!

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Don't tell anyone --- I trailered my bike to Miller this past weekend. :oops:

kawasakirob
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I have not ridden "the Pace" on the street ever since I have hopped on the track. Even going "the pace" on the street, does not compare to going "the pace" on the track. I trust very few people to go " a pace" with on the street. My Touring tires are more than capable of keeping up with "a pace" on the street. Maybe not a knee dragging pace, but a comfy pace. I agree with you saying that their are alot of people wearing sticky rubber and paying good money for them with inch strips on the side, and how it looks kind of wierd. But oh well, get them in a good enviornment and those strips will deminish. Not everyone has the balls/ lack of brains to rock and roll on the street.