PDA

View Full Version : Agreed Quotas. Greed Indeed.

Mister BOYD
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090529/wl_time/08599190144600;_ylt=Arw7REJsQ9rFIvKZh8MUfXF0fNdF

Oil Whores. Hey.. they brought me to the world of bikes. Guess I could thank them for that!

McVaaahhh
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Can't blame them though. Most of those mid-east nations have almost all of the gov't revenue come from oil and they have budgeted based on a $75-$90 price so they're getting killed. Unfortunately they control the supply so they definitely have the upper hand on the price. Oil doesn't always follow normal supply and demand economics, but I think it does in the long run. The ONLY recourse we (you and I) have is to consume less oil. Carpool, ride the bus, etc.

I, for one, am sick of the oil producing nations having us by the short and curly's and can't wait for the day that we don't have to rely on them any longer. (if it ever comes)

Mister BOYD
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Can't blame them though. Most of those mid-east nations have almost all of the gov't revenue come from oil and they have budgeted based on a $75-$90 price so they're getting killed. Unfortunately they control the supply so they definitely have the upper hand on the price. Oil doesn't always follow normal supply and demand economics, but I think it does in the long run. The ONLY recourse we (you and I) have is to consume less oil. Carpool, ride the bus, etc.

I, for one, am sick of the oil producing nations having us by the short and curly's and can't wait for the day that we don't have to rely on them any longer. (if it ever comes)

True, True.. Amen to all of that brother! Took my bite by using 3-4 gals (on my bike; bought it because of oil prices) a week instead of 15-25 (in my jeep). It's amazing how people don't take a more pro-active approach to the things in life that are bending them over!

Shea
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Well said Brian.

Shea
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Some more salt in your wounds Boyd,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090602/ap_on_go_co/us_highway_money

Mister BOYD
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
AWESOME! I guess it doesn't bother me as much if it stays as an investment in america, but come on now.. GPS tracking in our cars. There has to be a better way than to "track" people down the road. Not to mention collection on those taxes would be insanely difficult. Consider how many people already screw up or around their taxes every year. On a positive note, how many really stupid people are there on the roads now-a-days? Would be nice to kick some of those idiots off of the road.

salsashark
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM
AWESOME! I guess it doesn't bother me as much if it stays as an investment in america, but come on now.. GPS tracking in our cars. There has to be a better way than to "track" people down the road. Not to mention collection on those taxes would be insanely difficult. Consider how many people already screw up or around their taxes every year. On a positive note, how many really stupid people are there on the roads now-a-days? Would be nice to kick some of those idiots off of the road.

Actually, it's relatively simple. Just require the GPS units to be installed in all cars being sold in the US, then require them to be installed on all existing vehicles. Once that's been done, it's a download when you go to renew your plates or get an emissions test done.

Personally, I'd be fine with a mileage tax instead of gas taxes. I'm all for the "Pay for what you use" ideology. Just like a flat sales tax.

THE3BS
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
A few years ago I owned a Dodge Durango that got a whopping 12 mpg and a boat that would eat up 35 gallons of gas in a weekend. I knew 3 dollars gallon gas was coming and figured it was time to make some hard choices.

I sold my Durango and bought a beater that got 35 mpg. I kept the boat but made rules. If you want to go boating ill provide the boat and you provide the truck and gas. I ended up getting an apartment a few blocks away from my work and got rid of my car altogether. From there on out I traveled by means of public transport or my bicycle.

I caved in and bought a car last July. I didn't want too but we found out we were having a kid. I still keep driving to a bare minimum and got the motorcycle for commuting. I dread the thought of having to give the greedy oil bastards anymore of my money then I have too.

They can keep raising prices and people can continue to drive their 8 mpg SUV's. I burn about 10 gallons of gas a week between the car and the bike so even 5 dollar a gallon gas won't bother me much these days. Until the rest of the country is willing to cut back its dependance on foreign oil the arabs will continue to rape us.

salsashark
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
^^ Agreed

One of my justifications for owning the bike... My truck gets 12mpg and I couldn't sell it to save my life right now. Not that I really want to. It's very nice to have when I need it. But I'm perfectly content letting my truck sit in the driveway while I ride the bike that gets 4X the mileage that the truck does.

Mental
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Gas is also going up becuase its summer. Happens every year.

But yes, I do like in this new energy concious society, we are seen as progressives by some instead of just menace's. I would love to see Honda, Kawai or 'Zuki take thelead and create and market a green bike. I magine the mileage of the two wheeled equivelent of a Honda Civic when my 2 wheeled equililent of a Supercar gets 40 MPG with my wrist in it. Imagine gearing, engine displacement and electronic engine aides designed for milage on a motorcycle. 80 MPG 90 MPG easily.

Now we progressives just have to remind everyone how great our mileage is, how awesome it is to ride and see what happens when the consumers demand it.

Then we watch what happens when the ridiculous road warrir behemouths stay in the driveway and these commuter bikes, camary's of the 2-wheeled varity if you wiill, inudate the roads and suddendly the voting populace is a mototcycle society. We no longer are profiled, singled out or harasses by LEOs, our peers, families or bosses. The laws reflect an accurate world involving motorcycles and more vbike parking, tax breaks, protective laws against peaple who get drunk and run us over....

ah, a man can dream can't he?

McVaaahhh
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
^^ Here's a recent motorcyclist article about the best MPG bikes out there right now

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_0810_honda_kawasaki_suzuki_yamaha_mpg_comparis on/index.html

The Honda Rebel 250 tested squeezed 80 miles out of 1 gallon of fuel, and is certainly a hell of a lot more fun than a Prius. :D

salsashark
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
^^

Man... I don't know what the FUCK you just said, Little Kid, but you're special man, you reached out, and you touch a brother's heart.

:lol:

Actually, I came across this the other day... getting closer:

http://www.motorcities.com/media/images/640/09ESA211924094AA.jpeg

2009 Brammo Enertia TTXGP Race Team Sponsored by Best Buy

BEST BUY SPONSORS BRAMMO ENERTIA TTXGP RACE TEAM

ASHLAND, Ore., May 28, 2009 -- Brammo, maker of the Enertia plug-in electric motorcycle announced today that Best Buy is an official sponsor and team partner of Brammo's two-bike team that will compete in the Isle of Man TTXGP race. The team will be officially known as Team Brammo Enertia Best Buy Racing.

MORE - http://www.motorcities.com/vehicle/09ESA211924094.html

Shea
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah but $15k? Give me one of those diesel off road's the military uses. 96 mpg :)

http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/models.htm

Mental
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Plus thats like a 2 wheel Hummer, without the douchebag reputation

McVaaahhh
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah but $15k? Give me one of those diesel off road's the military uses. 96 mpg :)

http://www.dieselmotorcycles.com/models.htm

The commercial bike:

Fuel Mileage: 105 mpg @ 45 mph (Tested)
Range: 630 miles @ 45 mph

puckstr
Tue Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
A few years ago I owned a Dodge Durango that got a whopping 12 mpg and a boat that would eat up 35 gallons of gas in a weekend. I knew 3 dollars gallon gas was coming and figured it was time to make some hard choices.

I sold my Durango and bought a beater that got 35 mpg. I kept the boat but made rules. If you want to go boating ill provide the boat and you provide the truck and gas. I ended up getting an apartment a few blocks away from my work and got rid of my car altogether. From there on out I traveled by means of public transport or my bicycle.

I caved in and bought a car last July. I didn't want too but we found out we were having a kid. I still keep driving to a bare minimum and got the motorcycle for commuting. I dread the thought of having to give the greedy oil bastards anymore of my money then I have too.

They can keep raising prices and people can continue to drive their 8 mpg SUV's. I burn about 10 gallons of gas a week between the car and the bike so even 5 dollar a gallon gas won't bother me much these days. Until the rest of the country is willing to cut back its dependance on foreign oil the arabs will continue to rape us.

I sold my 15 MPG V8 Grand Cherokee when gas was $4.00 a gallon.
I bought a old Saturn SL2.... Best thing I ever did. I get 32mpg city AND 40MPG HIGHWAY (with snow tires none the less).

Fuck the gas guzzlers