View Full Version : Mission One Track Vid

Shea
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Cool:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/06/mission-one/

rybo
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
also a US contender

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/04/08/motoczysz-enters-ttxgp/comment-page-1/

Shea
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
hehe 300 ft lbs of torque, got to love electric motors.

dirkterrell
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
hehe 300 ft lbs of torque, got to love electric motors.

And you don't have to spin them up to get that either. I get the feeling that we are in what will be considered a "golden age" of gas-powered bikes. I'll bet that within a decade there will be an electric-powered class in the MRA.

Dirk

Shea
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
And you don't have to spin them up to get that either. I get the feeling that we are in what will be considered a "golden age" of gas-powered bikes. I'll bet that within a decade there will be an electric-powered class in the MRA.

Dirk

Like steam engines all their torque is at 0 rpm right? Yeah, with the advances in storage I don't doubt you are right. Still...something about a hydrogen turbine powered bike sounds better.:)

dirkterrell
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Like steam engines all their torque is at 0 rpm right?

Yeah, they have lots of torque right off the bat.

Yeah, with the advances in storage I don't doubt you are right. Still...something about a hydrogen turbine powered bike sounds better.:)

I'm waiting to see if they'll have fake gas-engine sounds like the digital cameras that fake the sound of film-winding motors. :( Ultimately, fuel cell powered bikes will probably be how things evolve but combustion and batteries will be where it's at in the near future.

Dirk

rybo
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:01 AM

I'm waiting to see if they'll have fake gas-engine sounds like the digital cameras that fake the sound of film-winding motors. :( Ultimately, fuel cell powered bikes will probably be how things evolve but combustion and batteries will be where it's at in the near future.

Dirk

This is a big issue with Hybrid cars in the city. More pedestrians are getting hit by them because they are so quiet. There is some development on the way to have them emit noise that sounds like a combustion powered car to the front so that pedestrians are alerted to their presence.

s

dirkterrell
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:05 AM

I'm waiting to see if they'll have fake gas-engine sounds like the digital cameras that fake the sound of film-winding motors. :(

I clicked the wrong smiley. It was meant to be :)

Dirk

dirkterrell
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
This is a big issue with Hybrid cars in the city. More pedestrians are getting hit by them because they are so quiet. There is some development on the way to have them emit noise that sounds like a combustion powered car to the front so that pedestrians are alerted to their presence.

Yeah, it's true. People don't look where they're going these days.

Dirk

rybo
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah, it's true. People don't look where they're going these days.

Dirk

And in big cities there is a population of blind people that rely on sound...

I once saw a demonstration at a science museum where they had a reaction time test based on sound and sight. Human reaction to sound is more than 50% faster than reaction based on sight.

dirkterrell
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
And in big cities there is a population of blind people that rely on sound...

I once saw a demonstration at a science museum where they had a reaction time test based on sound and sight. Human reaction to sound is more than 50% faster than reaction based on sight.

Now that's a fascinating result. I wonder if it's because of a requirement of more processing needed for visual input and/or evolutionary pressures...

Dirk

Shea
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Now that's a fascinating result. I wonder if it's because of a requirement of more processing needed for visual input and/or evolutionary pressures...

Dirk

I would say more processing/filtration of visual stimuli.

dirkterrell
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
I would say more processing/filtration of visual stimuli.

I can see evolutionary pressures playing a role since hearing is a 360 degree scanning process while visual is 180 or less.

Dirk

Shea
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
I can see evolutionary pressures playing a role since hearing is a 360 degree scanning process while visual is 180 or less.

Dirk

I can see your point. I was just thinking the amount of processing required to encode/decode the vast amount of data in a visual image and filter out extraneous information versus a simple analog audio wave.

dirkterrell
Wed Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
I can see your point. I was just thinking the amount of processing required to encode/decode the vast amount of data in a visual image and filter out extraneous information versus a simple analog audio wave.

Yeah, I'd bet both play a role (hence my originally mentioning both ideas).

Dirk