PDA

View Full Version : DMT Experience

BlueDevil
Wed Jul 9th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Well as always I went to DMT for my rubber. They did in fact close the showroom on Kipling and moved to 56th and Sheridan (Frontage road)

Anyway, Price was good but, Im not a fan of them charging SHIPPING when I come to their store to buy them. If U buy on the web or in the store U still pay $8.00 per tire to ship + Tax. :x I disagreed but to no avail.

In the plus area they were as always fast as hell. 25 minutes and new rubber was mine.

I have gotten very much into making sure my bike was put back together properly after maint. So I noticed while they worked on it the things they did. I noticed they dont put any bolts back on at spec torque settings. The calipers and all fittings that were removed were put back on and to what appeared to be as tight as the tech could get it. Now I took close notice on the brake caliper bolts cause I just changed them. (Pads). The torque settings on those are not very tight (As per Service Manual specs) That dude put them on so damn tight!!! :321:

So: I still am a fan of DMT however I advise to make sure to re torque your bolts to spec and reapply lock tight when needed cause they dont care about the small details in these matters.

A Valkarie was done right in front of me and he rode off while I sat there. He came right back and said "There is some clickin in the front wheel" The guy got a wrench and came over to the bike. Put that wrench on and laid on top of it till he coulent get the bolts and tighter and said "U are all set" Off the guy went. :shock:

Very shocked by these actions. But happy with the compeditive price and fast service.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jul 9th, 2003, 08:53 AM
BlueDevil wrote:

So I noticed while they worked on it the things they did. I noticed they don’t put any bolts back on at spec torque settings.

There is NO WAY IN HE** I'd patronize a shop that performed maintenance on my bike like you describe :321: --- Vanmar still beats their prices on ANY set of tires. BTW --- the reason this is so is because YOU have to pull your own rims and remount them ----- of course at spec torque settings. I'm glad you re-torqued your bolts. There is nothing like having a front brake caliper snap off during intense breaking because of metal fatigue at the mounting bolt (change of underwear NOT included). :shock: I hope that they have good liability insurance.

BlueDevil
Wed Jul 9th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Funny thing is they make U sign a waiver every time stating they are not resonc. :shock:

Anonymous
Tue Aug 19th, 2003, 02:50 PM
In reading another recent thread about Discount, I just remembered something that happened to me, but relates to this thread more. This goes way back, but the more I think about it, the more it's starting to make sense.

Just before the Team InfoTech track day at PPIR (in April), I got a new set of tires installed at DMT. At the track day, I had Mike Fitzgerald adjust my suspension, and he commented at how stiff the front was. I mentioned that I had just had my fork seals redone, and he thought they may have used the wrong weight fork oil. Anyway, he kept bouncing the front end, and checking things, and finally discovered that the right fork was set in too close to the wheel. He loosened it, let it fall into it's natural place, tightened it up, and everything was fine.

It only occurred to me after reading this thread that this had to have happened when DMT re-mounted my front tire! :shock:

Perhaps it's time to get a front stand so I can take care of the important things myself, and just let them change the tire.

BlueDevil
Tue Aug 19th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Holly crap thatdoes make sense. I watched them toss my wheels on very fast and tighten them right up. As I mentioned before no torque spec or anything. Now that I think about it, I dont think they paid much attention to detail like this..........

I think U R right........May be time for a front stand and take em to mount and put them on your self.

BTW I noticed they chipped my rear rim a bit last time in. I still like them and think they are great but I do have a few negatives.....

Ripper
Wed Aug 20th, 2003, 02:18 AM
What do you expect the techs are all kids makin 8 bucks an hour, they have competitive prices, but it's like an american assembly line.

Had them put on a rear for me this week and after they put on the wrong tire, one of the chain adjustement bolts was 1/2" off. Please check you bike after they wrench on it