PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Broomfield riders... undercover cop alert

Aracheon
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
To all who ride anywhere in or around Broomfield, there's a car you need to start keeping an eye out for. It's a late 90s, silver Ford Taurus wagon with dark tint, no antennas, and regular tagged civilian plates.

I was sitting at the light at Midway and Main St, when all the sudden this thing lights up like an f'ing Christmas tree and goes flying after a car who ran a red light. There's NO indication that this is a police car, as the strobes are built into the turn signals and the rear backup lights.

Be careful.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/00-05_Ford_Taurus_wagon.jpg

Devaclis
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 09:53 AM
That is not dark tint. And it has Maryland plates.

Ohhhhh, this is just for reference :)

Aracheon
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 09:55 AM
:slap:

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I was sitting at the light at Midway and Main St, when all the sudden this thing lights up like an f'ing Christmas tree and goes flying after a car who ran a red light. There's NO indication that this is a police car, as the strobes are built into the turn signals and the rear backup lights.

If it really is about public safety, wouldn't they want police cars to be easily identified so that people would see them and not run red lights? :)

Dirk

DevilsTonic
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Bastages!! There is a blue charger and a 99 silver intrepid in Denver that are the same. Careful out there guys! I know a lot of people that won't pull over for unmarked cars, because they've been stopped by people impersonating an officer before.

SaShWhO
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
what will the Broomfield Gestapo think of next.
thanks for the heads up sir.

Aracheon
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
If it really is about public safety, wouldn't they want police cars to be easily identified so that people would see them and not run red lights? :)

Dirk

Agreed. Public safety my ass. :rolleyes:

Wintermute
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Just like the Drug "War", its all about the green.

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Just like the Drug "War", its all about the green.

I don't see that as being about the money but certain groups (mainly conservatives) wanting to push their beliefs on others and using the government to do it, arguing that it lowers crime. Kind of like banning guns because criminals use them to kill people (mainly liberals).

Dirk

Spiderman
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
If people only drive within the law when they see a police car, that doesn't (IMHO) equate to public safety (unless you've got a police car on EVERY corner).
:idea: Maybe they're hoping that if people begin to realize that ANY car could be a cop car, then more people will drive within the law?

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM
If people only drive within the law when they see a police car, that doesn't (IMHO) equate to public safety (unless you've got a police car on EVERY corner).
:idea: Maybe they're hoping that if people begin to realize that ANY car could be a cop car, then more people will drive within the law?

That is coercion at best and entrapment at worst. Broomfield is a RED county :321:

UglykidJoe
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Bastages!! There is a blue charger and a 99 silver intrepid in Denver that are the same. Careful out there guys! I know a lot of people that won't pull over for unmarked cars, because they've been stopped by people impersonating an officer before.

I see these two guys on I-25 almost every morning 5:30am. It's always a guess as to which side of the hwy they are on. But the early morning traffic hauls ass, I travel from 144th to Dry Creek and do 75 most of the way and I get passed all the way down here. People are fuckin nuts that early.

Devaclis
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Logans Run

Sleev
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
what a horrible idea for an unmarked cop car.

Devaclis
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee83/cbdelaruelle/repression.jpg

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
what a horrible idea for an unmarked cop car.

It's fucking Sill-TerHar Ford in Broomfield that sets the department up with that shit. :down:

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Or maybe they're hoping that they can levy more fines if they aren't visible? (And by "they" I mean government leaders. I don't really fault the cops on the street who are just carrying out orders.) If traffic violations were dealt with by loss of driving privileges, or massive financial fines rather than amounts that are obviously not working to increase safety (but do bring in amazing amounts of money in total), then I would believe it was really about public safety. When I see city police sitting on I-25 popping people who are just moving along with traffic rather than patroling neighborhoods, I really have to wonder about the motivation.

Dirk

Devaclis
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM
People who feel their orders are wrong and do not question them are immoral.

Just following orders is evil, in my mind.

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 11:15 AM
People who feel their orders are wrong and do not question them are immoral.

Just following orders is evil, in my mind.

I feel the cops themselves probably catch enough shit about it. I hate that the people really behind all of it (politicians) get by with nary a peep.

Dirk

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
“Think for yourself and question authority” -- Timothy Leary

Spiderman
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Or maybe they're hoping that they can levy more fines if they aren't visible? (And by "they" I mean government leaders. I don't really fault the cops on the street who are just carrying out orders.) If traffic violations were dealt with by loss of driving privileges, or massive financial fines rather than amounts that are obviously not working to increase safety (but do bring in amazing amounts of money in total), then I would believe it was really about public safety. When I see city police sitting on I-25 popping people who are just moving along with traffic rather than patroling neighborhoods, I really have to wonder about the motivation.
You have a point. I'm sure the big wigs recognized the potential income revenue possibilities long ago which is why they implemented quotas, but spun it in such a way to make it appear that it's all about public safety. Maybe they've spun it so much they believe it themselves? :dunno:

Another part of the problem is public education - most people don't see driving as a privilege - they think it's their right to drive, even if their license has been revoked.

My http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/emoticons/2cents.gif

raptor7887
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM
westminster has a new black camery (a little over a year old). looking at it you'd never guess it was a cop car. one friend got pulled over for street racing by him and another works at mountain states toyota and does the oil changes on it lol. they are getting very sneaky!

SaShWhO
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
“Think for yourself and question authority” -- Timothy Leary

I credit that quote to Maynard from Tool!

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Maybe they've spun it so much they believe it themselves? :dunno:

Oh, I think they know exactly what they're doing. Regarding the, IMO, rather sensible idea of impounding cars driven by unlicensed drivers and citizen initiative that passed in Denver directing that it be done:

Denver city officials don’t know how much it will cost to enforce the law. Mayor John Hickenlooper publicly opposed the law. He expressed concern about overflow at impound lots and wondered about other costs associated with implementation of the new law.

Other city officials such as deputy safety manager Mel Thompson said the city could lose revenue as a result of officers waiting for tows rather than issuing traffic tickets.

Source (http://www.kdvr.com/kdvr-lawtargetingunlicenseddrive-7205426,0,3861063.story)

The second statement makes it pretty clear what they're worried about. And if we have so many unlicensed drivers on the road that impound lots would fill up, THAT is a real public safety issue that needs to be dealt with.

I agree with you on the right/privilege thing.

Dirk

Ricky
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Ridiculous...

longrider
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I am going to toss something else out here - why is driving a privilege when enforcing traffic laws is being discussed, but it becomes a right whenever the issue is something like making licenses harder to get in the first place, showing qualification to keep in the case of the elderly, or increasing the cost of driving through taxes, fees, etc????

sandboxshooter
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Believe me Dirk, Broomfield is NO conservative county.......liberal all the way......from my experiences......liberals have the market cornered about taking your rights away....look at the current mess we're in.....losing them daily

Jim_Vess
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Speaking of unmarked cars, Lafayette PD has a gunmetal gray Ford F-150. I've seen it on 287 a few times.

McVaaahhh
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Cops are only a "problem" when you are breaking the law. :D

Aracheon
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Cops are only a "problem" when you are breaking the law. :D

I've been known to deviate from traffic law from time to time. ;)

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Believe me Dirk, Broomfield is NO conservative county.......liberal all the way......from my experiences......liberals have the market cornered about taking your rights away....look at the current mess we're in.....losing them daily

I don't recall saying that Broomfield was conservative. :) The issue isn't really about whether conservatives or liberals are better or worse. I have a problem when people try to use the considerable power of government to force their "moral" beliefs on others.

I also have a problem with politicians who claim that their actions are based on "public safety" considerations when they clearly are not. I have no problem with reasonable speed limits and their enforcement. I have a problem with the influence of potential revenue when those limits are set (e.g. why is the limit 55 mph on 287 in front of Wal Mart in Lafayette and the same on the south end of 36, a limited access highway?). The same bullshit happens with red light cameras when they make the yellow light durations shorter to generate more money. Source (http://www.motorists.org/blog/6-cities-that-were-caught-shortening-yellow-light-times-for-profit/)

Dirk

sandboxshooter
Fri Jun 5th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I totally agree with you....I think its going to get worse for revenue generation....unfortunately....with the local governments trying to stop the inevitable loss of monies....