PDA

View Full Version : Long distance trip prep.

= Buckeye Jess =
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 02:34 PM
So I'm trying to get ready for my first Saddle Sore 1000 next month (and hopefully a ton more long dist trips on the bike). I'm hoping I can start to compile a list of items that I NEED to take with me and another list of NICE to HAVE with me. I'm thinking this could be a nice place to gather input from everybody. I'm including what small things I can think of now, but please correct me if I'm wrong and tell me what to change/add.

MUST HAVE:
tire repair kit (but what kind?) and method to re-inflate tire
tire pressure guage
allen wrench set
zip ties
water (camelback or other hydration pack is most useful)
maps/navigation/gps
layers for temp changes
rain gear
hidden cash/cards in case wallet gets stolen/lost
(I'm sure there are other tools in addition to what comes with the bike, but what????)
sunscreen and chapstick
cell phone and/or calling card
pliers
ear plugs/wind protection

NICE TO HAVE:
mp3 player or other music source
TP/kleenex
camera
clean and DRY socks!!! =)
bike shorts with gel butt padding
extra spark plugs (or should this go under MUST have?)
first aid kit (with ibuprofen/naproxen/acetaminophen)
extra tail and head lights (perhaps MUST have if lots of night riding involved?)

Of course a lot of stuff is going to vary depending upon the route/destination and length of trip. I'm thinking that the MUST HAVES will be consistent across the board, but the nice things may change accordingly...

willb003
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
adjustable pliers maybee

zetaetatheta
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Ibuprofen! Contact OldKneeDragger, I believe he has done several runs.

denver_whitest185
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 03:02 PM
air pump for filling your tires

i have a stop and go tire plugger, and its the best design ive seen yet. they are $30 on ebay.

= Buckeye Jess =
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 03:17 PM
air pump for filling your tires

i have a stop and go tire plugger, and its the best design ive seen yet. they are $30 on ebay.
Very cool - thanks! I looked on their site and they even have a kit with CO2 cartridges to refill the tire.
http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

sleepercivic88
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I just bout the general tubeless tire plug kit without the c02 stuff and just bought a portable bike pump. 10 and 12 mm sockets and 3/8 driver. I didnt bring a sparkplug when I went on my trip to cali. An extra tail and headlight is a good idea if your going to be traveling at night. Make sure to fill up and check your tire wear often on the trip. Stop often and take your time. I had to stop about every 80 to 100 miles just to stretch my legs out.

= Buckeye Jess =
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Good call sleeper...but I imagine that space would make the decision for some folks on how to re-inflate. LOL... so I just put any method for re-inflation.
The sparkplug thing I recall reading from another forum that I'm on...although to be honest, I haven't the foggiest how to change 'em! (That's why I put it on nice to have.)

OUTLAWD
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Some suggestions...necessity will vary by bike

-Duct tape
-electrical tape
-a few feet of elec. wire
-pretty much all the tools that you need to do whatever you are mechanically able to do to the bike (will include more than factory tool kit: adj. wrench, vise grips, wire cutters, torx(stupid triumph))
-chain lube (assuming you don't have a scott oiler)
-wd-40 (forces water out of electrical connections)
-rags

I also carry...
-extra pair of riding gloves
-latex gloves to keep hands dry
-advil
-flashlight or headlamp
-leatherman/multi-tool/pocket knife
-snake-bite emergency repair kit

This is all I can think of for now...good luck with your ride!

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Aerostich sells something that uses the engine to inflate a tire. Just remove a spark plug, attach the hose, fire it up and you're good to go in about 1 minute.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Engineair-Power-Pump-p-16780.html

denver_whitest185
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
dont go with co2, since if you run out of cartridges, you're screwed. get a foot pump or a slime powersport compressor.

FZRguy
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 01:13 AM
1. Slime makes a kit that comes with a mini compressor. I think it was about $45 at Performance.

2. Spare key for your bike.

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Aerostich sells something that uses the engine to inflate a tire. Just remove a spark plug, attach the hose, fire it up and you're good to go in about 1 minute.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Engineair-Power-Pump-p-16780.html

Doesn't work on a Hayabusa. Cylinder heads openings are too small. Take it from me (125 miles from civilization is not the best time to discover that).

For a Saddle Sore, you don't need all that much. You could probably pitch some of what you've already selected but it can't hurt. I haven't had to use aspirin on any of my SS rides but it really depends on you.

For long distance rides, here's my list:

http://www.schelin.org/planning/preride/checklist.html

I adjust it after each trip as I discover things that I need to take along, adding or discarding things and moving things around in the packing.

Good luck!

Carl

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Awesome input all - thanks!
Carl, I was hoping you'd post that list! I couldn't remember where or even which forum I had seen it on before. =)
I know a lot of it is overkill for the SS1K, but figured that I might as well start working on my inventory for all of the rides I hope to get in.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks Carl, nice list, will use it this summer!

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Awesome input all - thanks!
Carl, I was hoping you'd post that list! I couldn't remember where or even which forum I had seen it on before. =)
I know a lot of it is overkill for the SS1K, but figured that I might as well start working on my inventory for all of the rides I hope to get in.

Hmm, I've had several requests for that list. I've added it as a link off of my sig :)

I need to go over it again and start gathering gear for this year's ride. I also need to get some stuff for the 'busa; chain and sprockets as well as a set of new tires and then run through the service checklist.

Carl

kawasakirob
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
chicken wire/ bailing wire. Minimag/glowsticks. Have fun

asp_125
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 04:31 PM
As well proven on my trip to Durango... a stick of JB Weld putty. :up:

Jaydoc
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hmm, I've had several requests for that list. I've added it as a link off of my sig :)

Shoot I plagiarized that sonofagun. Mine looks exactly like yours. Well, except it's a picture of me and not you. That list has saved me multiple times when I packed something I wouldn't have thought of but you had it on there.

Good luck on your trip circumventing the country coming up Saturday!

dm_gsxr
Thu Aug 6th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Shoot I plagiarized that sonofagun. Mine looks exactly like yours. Well, except it's a picture of me and not you. That list has saved me multiple times when I packed something I wouldn't have thought of but you had it on there.

Good luck on your trip circumventing the country coming up Saturday!

Thanks. I'm updating the list now with several changes for this trip and will be posting an "I'm off!" post tomorrow with a pic of the gear :)

Carl

MaxxdOut
Wed Aug 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Duck Tape, JB Weld and most importantly a LeatherMan knife/utility set. They are a little costly, but great compact universal tools. I keep one in my truck, but if I was smart, I would cary one in my bike too.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Aug 12th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Duck Tape, JB Weld and most importantly a LeatherMan knife/utility set. They are a little costly, but great compact universal tools. I keep one in my truck, but if I was smart, I would cary one in my bike too.
My Gerber multi-tool is my favorite thing to carry on me when I'm on duty. I usually have it packed in my bags when I'm on long trips and I used to carry it on the bike.... bugger seems to be MIA right now tho. Hmm....new incentive to go hunting for it! Great suggestion!

pilot
Wed Aug 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
AAA RV-Plus. Or something akin. Miles from home it means rescue. Good luck on your IB.

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Aug 12th, 2009, 10:49 PM
AAA RV-Plus. Or something akin. Miles from home it means rescue. Good luck on your IB.
I vowed to NEVER pay another penny to AAA after they ROYALLY 'effed me over when I was in a pretty bad situation. They knew it and tried to take advantage of it. Now I pay a LOT less for the tow service from my ins. company and they'll tow me a lot further no questions asked.
/rant
And thanks pilot, but my IB is actually over! I did a long and boring trip report about it somewhere on here... lol
I'm ramping up to do my next one now! =)

RUMotarded
Thu Aug 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Looks like you've got everything covered.....I'd recommend taking an extra helmet visor and lens wipes.

noskills
Sun Aug 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Hmm, I've had several requests for that list. I've added it as a link off of my sig
Carl,

All I get is a blank screen when I click your Long Distance Gear Checklist link in your sig.

Am I the only one?

AAA RV-Plus. Or something akin. Miles from home it means rescue.
I have been an AAA member for 44 years and pay $84 per year for family coverage. Up to now I thought this would cover motorcycle breakdown. RV+ would be 210 for my wife and I. I have since opted for AMA + supplemental from insurance for a total less than AMA standard. Thanks for the heads up.

-

dm_gsxr
Wed Aug 26th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Seems to be ok to me. Are you still getting a blank screen?

Carl

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Aug 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Works for me...

dm_gsxr
Wed Aug 26th, 2009, 02:07 PM
There was a brief period when the server was off line while I was out travelling. Rita got it back on line and everything was ok.

I also reworked the list so it's easier for me to maintain. It's a bit longer. Makes it easier to use as a checklist though.

Carl

Aphrodite
Tue Sep 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM
So? Done this yet? I just got done with my trip to Cali and back not long ago, Tylenol was my friend. And my wrench set to adjust and oil my chain. Other than that it was just plain boring over all. MP3 player was my bestest friend.