PDA

View Full Version : I Wana Race

scitsoman
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I want to learn how to race my Bike, But there are some problems every place i found so far costs an arm and a leg, and you have to use there Bike and i just don't see how that benefits me if i cant even learn on my own bike so if you know of any place or anyone who can help me out
please help.

Thank you
TIM

scitsoman
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Sorry if its not in the right thread

eg bter
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM
www.chicanetrackdays.com (http://www.chicanetrackdays.com) is a good start for track experience.

www.go4itservices.com talk to Mike about racing school

Tipys
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM
^^^^Plus 2 and well probly every other person that has every rode a day with them

scitsoman
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM
hey thanks my i gona have to check that out but i dont like know anything and dont they rush you on the track so other people can get on?

eg bter
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Chicane has a never ever class...basically you pay $50 for the track day. You spend the first half of the day with an instructor, you follow him then he follows you. If you decide you dont want to ride the second half of the day you can get your money back...it IS the best deal in track riding.

Captain Obvious
Sun Jun 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Sounds like you should go and visit a track day. Just go hang out, meet some of the racers and bounces questions off of them.

If you show up to the bike nights, surely a couple of the guys will have been around the block.

Can't speak for the local race/track day orgs, but most actually want you to ride your own bike for track days and race schools. I have never seen a track day org that rushes you into riding. Most break up the riders based on speed.

Perhaps if you have some specific questions, we can help you out more.

racedk6
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 10:49 PM
hey thanks my i gona have to check that out but i dont like know anything and dont they rush you on the track so other people can get on?

Everybody starts somewhere. Chicane is the ONLY organized track holder I know of in this state and is by far one of the cheapest.

You get quality coaching depending on how well you actually listen, and take what they say and try it on the track. All of the instructors are licensed racers in the MRA so they know what they are doing.

Scott and the chicane corner crew do a damn good job at making sure the track is safe for all riders alike.

nwatkins
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
+1 on doing a bunch of track days. Get with Chicane, Scott runs a great organization. Do the never ever, run a few track days this year then take the MRA race school at the beginning of 2010 Season. PM me if you have any questions.

64BonnieLass
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I want to learn how to race my Bike, But there are some problems every place i found so far costs an arm and a leg, and you have to use there Bike and i just don't see how that benefits me if i cant even learn on my own bike so if you know of any place or anyone who can help me out
please help.

Thank you
TIM

+1 on everything that everyone else has already mentioned.

However, a lil tidbit. If you really wanna race, get your money in order NOW.

I once heard a conversation amongst some friends.
Friend A: So how much $$ does it take to race?
Friend B: How much do you have?

It is at your whim where you choose to spend the money, but eventually, it will take up most of it.

Consider: bike, tires, tire warmers, stands, canopies (if you so choose), gas, oil, filters, entry fee's, trailer, hitches, more gas, more oil, hotels, parts, food, and the list goes on and on.

So come on....let's race, whoooo hoooo!!!!!

Bueller
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Be smart and save your $, just do track days.
Of course no one ever listens to logic. :lol:

64BonnieLass
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 06:52 PM

But...But...But......shit....FAIL!!!!

racedk6
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Money is a huge factor in racing. But it depends on if you do it to have fun or to be super competitive.

rybo
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I once heard a conversation amongst some friends.

Another racer joke:

How do you end up with a small fortune from racing?

Start with a large fortune.

I run Chicane Trackdays here in Colorado. It's not the only option available to get started, there are other ways, but I think it's a good one. I like to think of trackdays as the gateway drug to racing, and what people do to get their fix when they are done with racing.

The main goals of my days are Safety and Fun. That means that we do NOT rush you onto the track in the interest of serving other customers. YOU are a customer and I care greatly about your experience. I have a team of highly skilled and dedicated instructors who strive to make you a safe, competent track rider. You WILL learn something from them.

That being said, it is not a RACE license or certification, but it's a good first step in that direction. If you want to take it to the next level Mark Schellinger (the MRA new rider director) is at all of my trackdays and offers advanced instruction at some, and racer certification schools at others. Additionally his business, Vanmar Racing, is the Michelin race tire distributor for Colorado.

If this is something you're interested in we'd love to have you at one of the upcoming trackdays. Click my link below if you would like to learn more.

Scott

Captain Obvious
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 08:38 PM

How fast can I go?
How much money do you want to spend?

There is a direct correlation between how much you spend and how fast you are. Granted, there are some unnatural talents who can make a wheel barrel fast.

You can buy a $3000 SV650, buy 3 sets of tires, gas each weekend and race a whole season if you don't crash.

Snowman
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Racing is as bad as being addicted to crack, except crack is cheaper.

McVaaahhh
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:24 AM
:imwithstupid:

Another racing joke

Q: How do you make a million dollars racing?
A: Start with two.

Desmodromico
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM

I am trying hard to buck the trend....have the MRA school done and most of the other crap in order but am holding off until next year to race. I am trying to get in to every trackday possible this summer in preparation as well.

Money of course is a huge factor, I figure I need at least $5,000 to race all season next year and that isn't including the bike and all the other crap I have already purchased. Yes it can be done cheaper, but you need to factor in how fast you want to be and how frugal you can be. Also I have found that there is a ton of prep to do with the bike, safety wiring, suspension setup, tires, and tuning, so it isn't something you can do without some preparation.

Of course you can also shoot your budget to hell if you crash a lot, something I am working hard not to do...fingers crossed.

Sully
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
You can also try and get sponsors too ! :)

dragos13
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Chicane Trackdays rock!! Perfect way to get your feet wet. If racing is for you, it can be done on a decent budget. You wont get rich, but you'll have an great time trying.