PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know how to Trademark and/or Copyright something?

Vance
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Anyone know how hard / time consuming it is to file for a copyright and/or trademark on something?

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+copyright

Vance
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
It was more of a query of: Has anyone here done it before, how difficult was it, any pointers, how long did it take for you, etc...

I knew the HOW of the HOW...

I was looking for CSC personal experiences / feedback.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Copyrighting a song is easy. Mail a sealed envelope containing a recording to yourself and you're covered while you submit more extensive paperwork.

What are you trying to copyright?

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+copyright

:lol: Classic!

fullgrownbear
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Vance, I trademarked my logo with the state of Colorado. One simple online process, send the form off with the logo attached, and a fee of $50 bucks (I think it was 50 could've been less).

Wasn't too bad at all.

co_gixxerguy
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM
[quote=CaptGoodvibes;462826]Copyrighting a song is easy. Mail a sealed envelope containing a recording to yourself and you're covered while you submit more extensive paperwork.

It was my understanding that youre not supposed to open the envelope after u get it back though...just thought id throw that in there

PROFLYER
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Fairly easy, filing for a patent, however, takes much longer and is WAY more expensive!! You can place (TM) after stuff which shows you plan on trademarking the phrase or whatever and until it's actually registered (R) you're covered as long as you can prove the date of the first (TM). Not sure on copyright, I just know that a lot of our logos, slogans and brands are either (R) or (TM) and the (TM) stuff is in the works. My corp attorney is the Santangelo law firm in Ft. Collins, he's the best in the country when it comes to intellectual property.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 12:17 AM
It was my understanding that youre not supposed to open the envelope after u get it back though...just thought id throw that in there

Yes, absolutely! Thanks, I forgot to include that tidbit. Also, you can seal it with clear tape and get the person at the PO counter stamp across the tape.

Make sure you remember which envelope contains what in the case you have to open it for legal matters. You wouldn't want to open the wrong package.

You should also go through the regular channels for backup documentation.

FYI, copyright is for artistic works but you cannot copyright a title.

Big-J
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Vance,

I work for a law firm that has a very large Patent/TM practice, I can put you in contact with an attorney if you would like?

Vance
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Well it looks - after re-reviewing the standards - its Trademarking that I need to look at - not Copyrighting. I'll save the Copyrighting for when I have my movie script(s) completed.

For what I'm gunning for - its (TM) & (R) apparently.

I don't know that its that far along yet Proflyer & Big J to need legal advice. To date - based on research - I think I've got a pretty provable (thanks to technology of google and various personal archiving) that I'm the creator of this particular item in question if by chance it pops up anywhere else.

Out of curiosity FGB --- how long did the TM process take at the state level? I'd like to do it at the national level - for protection purposes.

Anyone here ever done that?

Big-J
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I know very little about P/TM, but Im pretty sure you may need someone with a legal background to get this done. I know its not as easy as filling out paper work and sending it in to the USPTO.

Vance
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Vance,

I work for a law firm that has a very large Patent/TM practice, I can put you in contact with an attorney if you would like?

Actually --- you COULD ask them one question for me:

Have them explain, in detail with as much statute and case law as they'd like to quote (and I will cross reference and check it - so no BS) why having the BAR as the only source of who does or does not get a law license, and what schools are or are not "accredited" to issue law degrees, is NOT considered a monopoly of the system; and therein are guilty of restricting perfectly qualified people from practicing law if they can pass say requirements tests to prove their capability and knowledge (i.e. - passing the BAR exam without having gone to law school)?

TFOGGuys
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Actually --- you COULD ask them one question for me:

Have them explain, in detail with as much statute and case law as they'd like to quote (and I will cross reference and check it - so no BS) why having the BAR as the only source of who does or does not get a law license, and what schools are or are not "accredited" to issue law degrees, is NOT considered a monopoly of the system; and therein are guilty of restricting perfectly qualified people from practicing law if they can pass say requirements tests to prove their capability and knowledge (i.e. - passing the BAR exam without having gone to law school)?

Easy...Law School is where you learn the secret handshake that allows you to interact with others in the profession....

Vance
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Easy...Law School is where you learn the secret handshake that allows you to interact with others in the profession....

Funny --- It didn't take a secret hand shake to lay the legalese "beat down" on a pair of lawyers so far. Don't understand why I'd need it any time in the future (other than to become a member of the Illuminati - which would be more like a double agent because the Disconcordia are out there too)...

Sortarican
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Anyone know how hard / time consuming it is to file for a copyright and/or trademark on something?

Too late, Kevin Federline already copyrighted "Douchebag":
http://www.agiantfart.com/images/arod/kevin_federline.jpg

Vance
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Too late, Kevin Federline already copyrighted "Douchebag":

FRAK!

Well then I guess I have to go with trademarking my plan B choice.

Damn you Kevin Federline! DAMN YOU!!!!!

BeoBe
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I knew the HOW of the HOW...

I was looking for CSC personal experiences / feedback.

Might wanna change the title then, cause it does say does anyone know HOW

;):slappers: