PDA

View Full Version : Computer guys... lend me your rears...

Mother Goose
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 01:57 PM
....I mean ears.

So I picked up a new wireless router from a friend (Linksys WRT54G2 Ver. 1). It didn't come w/ the CD, so I downloaded the setup from the Linksys site. The modem I have is from Comcast, it's a Motorola Surfboard, I think it's the SB5101. Anyways, the computer doesn't recognize the router, no matter what I do. I've followed the on screen setup that I downloaded from Linksys. I've unplugged both the modem and the router for a couple minutes, plugged the modem back in for about 3ish minutes, then plugged in the router and waited for a few minutes. Then tried the setup and still wouldn't recognize it. I've even tried to do a reset by calling Comcast. I also had Kris' brother come over w/ another router to test that out and that one wouldn't work either.

I'm really confused and have NO idea what's going on. I checked all the cables and they all work, so I know it's not that. When the modem is connected straight to the computer, the internet works fine. Any ideas? I'm about to the point of going to Microcenter and buying an all in one modem/wireless router and send this modem back to Comcast. I've been fooling around with this thing for about a week now w/ no luck. Any ideas?

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Since you got it from a friend, have you reset the linksys yet? There should be a button or something on the back where you hold it down and it goes back to the default settings.

Next, how are you trying to get to the linksys? Wireless or via wire? If wired, make sure you have link (the green light on the network card and on the modem). If no link, you may have a bad cable. If wireless, resetting it will probably do the trick.

Also, make sure you're not plugged in to the WAN link on the linksys.

Carl

Devaclis
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Reset the router OR

Plug the router into your computer. Do not plug the COMCAST modem into anything

Once the router has power and a link light on the port you plugged into the computer do this:

Click START
Click RUN
Type CMD and hit ENTER
At the DOS prompt Type IPCONFIG /ALL

Write down the Gateway addres (something like 192.168.1.1)

Open Internet Explorer and enter that IP address in the address bar and hit ENTER

If it asks for a username and password, ask your buddy what he set it to

From there you can do any admin you want on the router.

Another method:

On the back of the router is a small pinole with a button in it.

Put a paperclip in there and hold the button down for 30 seconds.

WHILE it is held down, remove the power cable. KEEP the button held in.

After 45 seconds, plug the router back in. It should be reset.

Now, ot install the router properly do this:

1. Plug your cable modem into power, the internet, and your computer. Leave the router out.

2. Start the router software install once you have a solid internet connection.

3. It will ask you to connect the router part way through the install.

4. If your computer STILL will not see the router, it is bricked. Someone most likely hosed it during a firmware update. You will need to buy another one.

Mother Goose
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Since you got it from a friend, have you reset the linksys yet? There should be a button or something on the back where you hold it down and it goes back to the default settings.
Done that many times, still nothing.

Next, how are you trying to get to the linksys? Wireless or via wire? If wired, make sure you have link (the green light on the network card and on the modem). If no link, you may have a bad cable. If wireless, resetting it will probably do the trick.
Via wire. I've tested all of the cables by plugging them into the modem and directly to the computer and getting onto the internet. They all work fine (3 different cables I've tried). I haven't tried to connect to it wirelessly since I can't even find it when it searches for a network.

Also, make sure you're not plugged in to the WAN link on the linksys.
WAN link?

Mother Goose
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Reset the router OR

Plug the router into your computer. Do not plug the COMCAST modem into anything

Once the router has power and a link light on the port you plugged into the computer do this:

Click START
Click RUN
Type CMD and hit ENTER
At the DOS prompt Type IPCONFIG /ALL

Write down the Gateway addres (something like 192.168.1.1)

Open Internet Explorer and enter that IP address in the address bar and hit ENTER

If it asks for a username and password, ask your buddy what he set it to

From there you can do any admin you want on the router.

Another method:

On the back of the router is a small pinole with a button in it.

Put a paperclip in there and hold the button down for 30 seconds.

WHILE it is held down, remove the power cable. KEEP the button held in.

After 45 seconds, plug the router back in. It should be reset.

Now, ot install the router properly do this:

1. Plug your cable modem into power, the internet, and your computer. Leave the router out.

2. Start the router software install once you have a solid internet connection.

3. It will ask you to connect the router part way through the install.

4. If your computer STILL will not see the router, it is bricked. Someone most likely hosed it during a firmware update. You will need to buy another one.
I've tried method #2. I'll try #1 when I get home tonight.

Devaclis
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Seriously, if you can't get to it then hook it up and let me know what lights are one, what color they are, and if they are solid or blinking. If that is a V.1 it is old and possibly bricked.

Ricky
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Reset to factory defaults. Find the reset button and hold for 10-15 seconds. Try connecting to it using a cabled connection first. Also make sure your machine is set to use DHCP and not set to use a static IP on either of your network cards

As was stated, don't plug into the WAN port on the back of the router (Wide Area Network) you should be plugging into the other port(s) for the LAN (Local Area Network)

TurboGizzmo
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Open it up, get yourself a a jtag cable, solder the jumper pins to your motherboard.....ohh nm do what Devaclis said and report back.

I just got one of these from a customer that upgraded....will have to check it out when i get home...if your still having issues I could take pics of what goes where...etc....

~Barn~
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Bring it over and we'll go to Shotguns, while it thinks about what it's done.

sugarrey
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Bring it over and we'll go to Shotguns, while it thinks about what it's done.

I like the way you think!

buzzardman36
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I was on the phone with Linksys for two hrs getting my new wireless to work. Never want to do that again. Then a couple days later I got of bunch of spam ware and my lap top has been down since.:banghead: Good luck and may the force be with you.

TurboGizzmo
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Step 1: Throw away cd

Step 2: start ---> run --->CMD ----> ipconfig <enter>

Step 3: Type the gateway address you see in step 2 into IE (example http://192.168.1.1)

Step 4: Complete setup via web gui

Step 5: If all else fails acquire adult beverages and seduce your local geek to set it up for you.

Devaclis
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 06:02 PM
did you just bite my rhymes?

You did, sir. You JUST took a bite out of my rhymes.

TurboGizzmo
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 08:43 PM
did you just bite my rhymes?

You did, sir. You JUST took a bite out of my rhymes.

Mine is a cliff-notes version with critical step 1 and a all else fails step 5 ;)

Aracheon
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Reflash it with DD-WRT.

kevplus2
Mon Jun 8th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Reflash it with DD-WRT.

x2

Mother Goose
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Well, I tried a couple things last night and decided to head to Microcenter and pick up a new one. Wireless internets were working within 15 minutes. :bananna: Thanks for all the help guys.

Devaclis
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM
BRIK!

Horsman
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Well, I tried a couple things last night and decided to head to Microcenter and pick up a new one. Wireless internets were working within 15 minutes. :bananna: Thanks for all the help guys.

Bet Ya Dana was Right - That one you got before was bricked....

Mother Goose
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Bet Ya Dana was Right - That one you got before was bricked....
Seems that way.

~Barn~
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
So you're saying that we're not going to Shotguns?

Fuckin' Microcenter.

Mother Goose
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM
So you're saying that we're not going to Shotguns?

Fuckin' Microcenter.
I went, I didn't see you there. :(

~Barn~
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Yes, but did you look in the area surrounding the ATM? :lol:

Mother Goose
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Yes, but did you look in the area surrounding the ATM? :lol:
That's right when you walk in, so yes!

TurboGizzmo
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM

And what is going to happen to the old one......:)

Mother Goose
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
And what is going to happen to the old one......:)
It has to do with guns and lots of ammo. :guns:

TurboGizzmo
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO poor poor router :(

Midget Hellion
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM

I like your style! I have a hard drive and a laptop riddled with .45 rounds. I would have had a second laptop as decoration, but the 30-30 didn't leave much of anything behind...