PDA

View Full Version : 14'er climb

Scer
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM
So I think it's a shame that I have lived in Colorado most of my life and haven't climbed a 14'er yet. :cry: So would anyone want to join me in climbing one in the next couple of months?
Has anyone that has climbed one have any advice on the climb and which one is best to start with?

This is the current plan

EASY HIKE:
July 19th
Mt. Bierstadt

climb on climbas

eg bter
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Im down

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hey Oscar, check out this website....http://www.14ers.com/. You'll want to click on the "routes" link at the top of the page and you can choose routes based on difficulty.

If I could get some of this extra fluff off of me, I might even consider a hike up an easy-going 14er.

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Oh and based on the first choice, Mt Elbert, here's a link to a website for hiking Mt Elbert...http://www.summitcountyexplorer.com/HIKES/Mt%20Elbert%20%20-%20Hiking%20Trail.htm

Sean
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
So would anyone want to join me in climbing one in the next couple of months?:up: I've never done a 14'er either. Count me in.

wankel7
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Oh yeah I'm down I love hiking:)

Grays and Torreys are good ones that are close and you can bag two 14ers in one hike. You take the Bakerville exit off 70. It is about 10 miles before the tunnel.

www.14ers.com (http://www.14ers.com)

Holy exposure batman!
http://www.14ers.com/videos/showvideo.php?video=CapitolKnife_1b

Scer
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Awesome responses so far. I guess I should ask what difficulty everyone wants to be on. I can do anything from easy to hard myself.
preferences?
You should come for sure Kath!

play on playas

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Awesome responses so far. I guess I should ask what difficulty everyone wants to be on. I can do anything from easy to hard myself.
preferences?
You should come for sure Kath!

play on playas

Yeah, I'll only come on the easy hike. I've got some problem going on with my foot. Hoping it's cuz of the extra fluff gain and it will disappear with some fluff-loss.

But, don't hold off on hiking something you really want to hike, cuz of me. I'll hike at least one 14er before I die, dammit!:)

Scer
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 09:57 PM
You don't have fluff. Just the body of a true iron butt!

ride on ridas

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 09:59 PM
You don't have fluff. Just the body of a true iron butt!

ride on ridas

lol...have I ever told you I love you...ok, now I can go to bed with a smile on my face.

thanks sweetie

luv on luva's

~Barn~
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Big-J, Austin, and I did Grays a couple Summers ago. It was tougher than I expected, but fun and totally rewarding.

Anyway Scer. Give me the when and where, and I'm there with you buddy.

In the pic below, Grays is on the left, and Torreys is on the right:
http://www.14ers.com/photos/graystorreys/200508_GraTor01a.jpg

Scer
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Holy exposure batman!
http://www.14ers.com/videos/showvideo.php?video=CapitolKnife_1b

Nice addition to the post. That's what I am talking about!! Hope he brought a change of shorts.

change on changas

dapper
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I've been up multiple times.

REI has a free class on Wed...tomorrow link (http://www.rei.com/stores/store_event_detail.jsp?pid=9681412293134217A26DA57 41B4EA4AA&template_id=30&template_family=webDetail&ignore_cache=1)

Depending on the day, I should be able to make the hike.

willb003
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Possibly.

FZRguy
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 10:34 PM
We used to hike up the Barr Trail to the summit of Pikes Peak and then take the train down. It's the down that puts the hurt on creaky joints.

wankel7
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 11:01 PM
We used to hike up the Barr Trail to the summit of Pikes Peak and then take the train down. It's the down that puts the hurt on creaky joints.

No doubt hking down is the real work out.

I have been thinking about getting hiking poles. I'm 29 and sure want to save my knees so I can be doing this for a long time.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Mt Sherman. Slag heap but still a fourteener.

UglykidJoe
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Mt Evans, 14er no climbing needed.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Longs Peak, keyhole route, semi challanging but easy to do.
I have 3 sets of ropes and 2 ice axes that you can borrow, just need them for the ice fields. Also several daypacks and other climbing gear you can use.
You may want to take that class At REI and see all the things you will need to be prepared! Yes it snows in july on the route!!!

MetaLord 9
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Been wanting to do this for awhile, so lemme know when you get a final plan down! Dunno about ropes & axes tho, was thinking more the hike over some rocks & such...

bodhizafa
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I did Gray's and Torrey's a couple of years ago. Pretty easy, little tiring towards the top (I came from sea level though), but you can get two peaks bagged in one day. May want to take a truck up the access road to the trail head, pretty rocky.

pauliep
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I got a handful of winter accents under the belt, I'll be interested. Got a new GPS I've been wanting to actually earn its worth still, haha.

Foolds
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I would be interested as well

Mister BOYD
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 07:51 AM
All.. In the last two summers My buddy an I have hit up 6 fourteeners. Apparently he knows of a spot where you can saddle four of them in a day hike. We're planning on hitting up a 14er here in the next couple of weeks (as soon as he's back from Europe). PM me if your interested and I'll hit you up when I know more details. 14ers are teh shit and totally rewarding!

Reyven
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I could totally go for this :) Keep us updated when you come up with a plan!

Shea
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Bierstadt is probably the "easiest" 14er that is close by. And if it is your first one, depending our your fitness level, doing a double is pretty tough. Wait until late summer when the atmosphere calms down a bit, leave (really) early and good luck :)

Mister BOYD
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Bierstadt is probably the "easiest" 14er that is close by. And if it is your first one, depending our your fitness level, doing a double is pretty tough. Wait until late summer when the atmosphere calms down a bit, leave (really) early and good luck :)

Agreed.. Bierstadt is the easiest and a good place to start. It's a shorter hike than most of the rest and the assent isn't too steep or quick. A lot of the 14ers have a decent hike up to them before the slope of the trail becomes more trying. Keep that in mind when you pick a 14er!

OUTLAWD
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I'm down as long as my schedule permits...

Don't have any experience with 14'ers, ice, ropes, etc, but what better way to learn haha...

I have a jeep that can hold 4-5 to get to some of the bumpier trailhead access roads.

asp_125
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I did Huron for my first 14er a couple years ago, it was tiring but so worth the effort. I would join but I haven't hiked since breaking my foot in Feb, so I am way out of condition for a 14er as a first hike. Maybe we could do Pikes Peak or Evans ... y'know, walk across the parking lot onto the rock outcrop and call it good. ;) If it's later in the summer I might be in shape by then.

+1 on some kind of 4x4 or high clearance vehicle to reach the trailhead. In some cases it will save a few miles of hiking, a godsend at the end of the day.

Mister BOYD
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Also +1 with a 03 Jeep Wrangler

brennahm
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Yes! Totally down!

bulldog
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Keep me updated too man, my cardio sucks right now, but only one way to get it better.

P.S. Careful guys, Scer is ripped and does 14'ers in his sleep for fun.....all while walking backwards and skipping! :D

Big-J
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Hey Scer, give me a call, Clarke and were talking about doing Torreys next month. We're also talking about doing a weekend backpacking trip.

dapper
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I take a different approach.
When the snow is minimal/gone...I will go.

Typical 14'er:
Starting to hike up minutes before dawn typically means 5ish am and most of the afternoon storms are less of a worry. I have camped in snow, however it was not a 14'er climb.

It's easier to stay in-shape than it is to get into shape. :D

Shea
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I always like to summit around dawn. Something about being on top of the world and watching the sun come up....

dapper
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
^Are we still talking about hiking or heroin? :lol: ;)

Shea
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM
^Are we still talking about hiking or heroin? :lol: ;)

lol, hey man whatever it takes :)

Canuck
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I'm very interested Oscar. Keep me in the loop.

Wintermute
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Hiking? Shit, you could probably drive a golf cart up Elbert.

Real men ski every 14er in a year. (http://www.skithe14ers.com/) Pretty fascinating site, you can click the mountains on the right to read the reports and see pics. Heres his drop-in and route on Capitol Peak:

http://www.skithe14ers.com/graphics/pics/capitol-peak_6.jpg
http://www.skithe14ers.com/includes/thumb_create.php?img=/graphics/pics/capitol-peak_1.jpg&w=300&h=

I might be down for a ramble, but decades of street hoops have taken their toll on the legs.

Big-J
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I think Im gonna take my board when I do Torreys, when I did Greys I was jealous of the guys riding down!

Canuck
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I think Im gonna take my board when I do Torreys, when I did Greys I was jealous of the guys riding down!

Now THAT sounds like a great idea :up:

Scer
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM
So I am thinking we should set up 2 trips.

One for the easy route. We can call it the iron butt climb for reasons previously mentioned.

And the other for a more challenging trip Maybe be able to use the 4x4's to get a little higher and get a good workout. I have a small truck we can use too.

For the easy trip:
Option #1
Big J and Clarke are going to do Torreys peak on the 21st of this month. http://www.14ers.com/routelist.php?peak=Grays%20Peak%20and%20Torreys%20 Peak
It's mostly class 2 and either snow or a 7.5 mile RT standard route.

Option #2
We follow suit and plan a day to hike Mt. Bierstadt. http://www.14ers.com/routelist.php?peak=Mt.%20Bierstadt I will throw the date of July 12th out for a tentative and we can discuss. =)

Hard hike:
Option #1
find one and option #2 too

Option #2
Read option #1

plan on plannas

Scer
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Keep me updated too man, my cardio sucks right now, but only one way to get it better.

P.S. Careful guys, Scer is ripped and does 14'ers in his sleep for fun.....all while walking backwards and skipping! :D

Yep Just gotta get your overweight ass out there and do it. You are so overweight man!! gezz..:) don't bother sucking in the gut either. =P

and I don't walk backwards bro. I RUN backwards. ;)

train on trainas

Sean
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Real men ski every 14er in a year. (http://www.skithe14ers.com/)
Pshhhhhh, real men sleep over 14k to hike higher the next day. Here's me at about 19,200. The little black rock behind me is Sagarmatha (Mt. Everest)

y_merkle
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Would love too! Just let us know where and when. I climb Pikes Peak every September for the Pikes Peak Challenge...a benefit to rise money got brain and spinal cord injury treatment and research. Usually takes me 6 hours to get to the summit.

Tipys
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I am in for a 14 or maybe a 5 I am not sure at this point

Mother Goose
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Can we hike to the bar instead? ;) I'll see if I can make the one in July, but I can't for this month.

Probably get some good info here if you've never gone.
http://www.rei.com/stores/store_event_detail.jsp?pid=96814122931342171DA6B6C F5A718B56&template_id=30&template_family=webDetail&ignore_cache=1

MetaLord 9
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM
:imwithstupid:

Move'n in on the 20th & clean'n up the old place on the 21st before I turn in the keys. July is more do-able, but I can't remember if there's something planned then. OHSHIT! the 11th is Flash Mob's CD Release Party, lemme see how I fair the morning after on that one...

nattynoo
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I would love to go next month for sure, but I think the 12th is out for me (got a Bachelorette party the night before LOL).

Should plan a camping trip around the hike. It would be nice to get to a peak that will be less crowded so we can bring the "kids" without leashes...

Mister BOYD
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hey.. it's always a good time to pack in somewhere (at elevation) and hit up the trail earlier in the morning to summit. I have an extended stay pack as well. Anybody feel like packing in?

Wyck
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I would love to do a 14er but I'm not sure the stress fracture/bone bruise in my knee can take it. Though I would be down for some shorter easier warmup hikes and my "kid" would be ecstatic if she could come too :)

MetaLord 9
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure the stress fracture/bone bruise in my knee can take it.
Too many years kicking ass as a bouncer?

Wyck
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Too many years kicking ass as a bouncer?

Ha! No I still do that. It's from marathon training. No running or high impact excercise for 2 months. I know hiking isn't technically high impact but I don't think my knee would like several hours of hiking.

MetaLord 9
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 02:28 PM
fair enough! After having knee surgery, I can definately relate

Wyck
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 02:32 PM
fair enough! After having knee surgery, I can definately relate

Eww yeah, actually doc thought it was a torn meniscus at first and I was scared to death I would need surgery. Cause then not only would I not be able to run, but I wouldn't be able to ride either.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM
My favorite is Shavano.

From the Roach bible:

Never get separated from your lunch.
Never get separated from your sleeping bag.
Never get separated from your primal urges.
Carefully consider where your primal urges are leading you.
Expect to go the wrong way some of the time.
First aid above 26,000 feet consists of getting below 26,000 feet.
Never step on the rope.
Never bivouac.
Surfer Girl is not in the mountains.
Never pass up a chance to pee.
Don’t eat yellow snow.
Geologic time includes now.
Experience does not exempt you from danger; physics wins.
Have fun and remember why you started.

Gerry Roach

http://books.google.com/books?id=kYeteYSl6F0C&dq=Colorado's+Fourteeners+--+gerry+roach&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=EAUQZW8wCG&sig=1Io_9Ntf-c7g0uZkyiJ-1JIp77o&hl=en&ei=xmsxSpv4Lp7GswOR2NyRCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3#PPT6,M1

Scer
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Alright, Since it seems that most wanna go with next month and some can use the time to heal, (including me) and others want the time to get in better shape, let's plan on doing bierstadt on July 12th. Natty, you will just have to get some Monsters or Red bull in ya.

So:
July 12th
Mt. Bierstadt

Can I get a roll call of who wants to go:
Scer

call on callas

brennahm
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Down.

OUTLAWD
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM
count me in...with a month of training everyone should be able to run up backwards...

Mister BOYD
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM
count me in...with a month of training everyone should be able to run up backwards...

Lol.. I'll remember you said that when you hit the 12,500 mark!

Scer
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM
OK, so now that the east route is planned. Anyone have ideas for the harder one?

play on playas

brennahm
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I'd like to do a harder one. Let me know. I can do a pre hike. Have everything but the stove and water filter.

Tipys
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Im in I will need a map to this place

Zach929rr
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Would like to join, but will be out of town a good chunk of July :(

Enjoy peeps.

y_merkle
Sat Jun 13th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I want to do this but not to sure I'll be in town that weekend too. Can you keep me posted on the details and possible changes? Tipsy if I can make it maybe we can car pool.

Scer
Sun Jun 14th, 2009, 11:42 PM
So I just found out this weekend that I have to go out of town on the 12th. So I will be going on the 19th after all. More time to practice running backwards. Hopefully this works out better for everyone who wants to go. I will try to change the first post with all updates.

change on change'as

Scer
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hope everyone is training for this and not eating that extra 4 hot dogs at all the bbqs that has been going on.

Can I please get a roll call of the people the will definitely be in for the hike on the morning of July 19th..
http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?route=bier1&peak=Mt.+Bierstadt
The link above will take you to the route that we'll take.

(copy and paste the list on your reply)

1. Scer

~Barn~
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM
This may have been covered in the thread already, but is there a camp spot at the trailhead for the night of the 18th?

Tipys
Mon Jul 6th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Donor Dash is the 19th so I am out. http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32746&highlight=Dash

Scer
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 06:10 AM
This may have been covered in the thread already, but is there a camp spot at the trailhead for the night of the 18th?

Looks like this is the best place that I can find for a camp spot. It's called Burning bear and it's about 1/8th mile from the trailhead. No reservations though. SO I would probably go early on Sat to get a spot.
If anybody knows of a better place, then please let me know.

http://activities.wildernet.com/pages/activity.cfm?actid=021211IO*13976cg&areaid=CO&rectype=Identification%20%26%20Gathering&startrecord=1&fromPage=summary&CU_ID=1

camp on campas

puckstr
Tue Jul 14th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Big-J, Austin, and I did Grays a couple Summers ago. It was tougher than I expected, but fun and totally rewarding.

Anyway Scer. Give me the when and where, and I'm there with you buddy.

In the pic below, Grays is on the left, and Torreys is on the right:
http://www.14ers.com/photos/graystorreys/200508_GraTor01a.jpg

But do it via Kelso Ridge. :)

Scer
Sun Jul 19th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Good hike guys!! Nice camp site (thanks partially to Sach), the hike was killer but worth the shots of tequila on the summit, and even the drive down was fun. Good times with good people.

motivate on motivatas

~Barn~
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 06:20 AM
What an awesome climb with you guys. Thanks for putting it together, Scer!

eg bter
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Good times

~Barn~
Mon Jul 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Good stuff Wayne. I'm looking forward to the next one. :up:

~Barn~
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Here's a few more shots.

brennahm
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
So when's the next one?

~Barn~
Wed Jul 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
I couldn't tell ya. (?)

I'm not exactly an alpinist, so I expect it'll be next Summer for me, personally. :lol:

OUTLAWD
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I'm game for the next one...just got back from a weekend camping/hiking adventure.

knocked out Democrat, Lincoln, Bross, Quandary and Sherman

Scer
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I will have to give up the supervisory planning privileges for the second one. I have way too much stuff going on to get it together but since we are on the subject Dave.... hint hint.
Like I said, I have a small truck that can be added to the cavalry if the second one is hard to get to.

climb on climbas

brennahm
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I have a big truck with a small cab if it would help. Definitely down for the next trip!

OUTLAWD
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'll see what I can get together, I'm doing bierstadt this weekend, wanted to go across to evans as well, but a few people that are going aren't comfortable with that...I figure if it looks too bad, we could just turn around...but whatever

Is there interest in any peaks/dates in particular? I'm a n00b at this stuff, so i'm lacking experience, but I'm not afraid to expose myself to new/challenging things, with the hopes of learning a thing or two.

Once I get some dates when I'm available I'll start up a new thread.

All this pretending to be a mountain man is leaving my bikes all lonely in the garage

brennahm
Mon Jul 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
You're doing Bierstadt+ this weekend? Room for any more peeps?

OUTLAWD
Tue Jul 28th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Don't know who all is coming yet, I think there is 5 already, so my car might be full. Someone else planned it, I am just tagging along. I think the plan is to leave FoCo/Loveland area early sunday morning, like 1-2 am.

I'll keep you up to date if you're interested.

brennahm
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:00 PM
Did Bierstadt today, had a blast. Pics in the am.

Torrey's and Gray anyone?

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Did Bierstadt today, had a blast. Pics in the am.

Torrey's and Gray anyone?

Just did it today with my daughter. Here are a few from an awesome day.

Grays and Torreys Peaks

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/GSXRSNAIL/GraysandTorreysPeaks.jpg

Torreys on our way to Grays

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/GSXRSNAIL/TorreysonourwaytoGrays.jpg

Torreys from Grays

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/GSXRSNAIL/TorreysfromGrays.jpg

My daughter and I on Torreys

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/GSXRSNAIL/TorreysPeak.jpg

I think this is Lake Dillon from Torreys

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/GSXRSNAIL/LakeDillon.jpg

Wildlife on the saddle between the two peaks

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/GSXRSNAIL/WildlifeontheSaddle.jpg

brennahm
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Nice! How long was the hike (miles, time)?

Our Bierstadt hike. (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2848059&id=2047855&l=940f14ef99)

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Nice! How long was the hike (miles, time)?

Our Bierstadt hike. (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2848059&id=2047855&l=940f14ef99)

At a relaxed pace, it took us 3 hours from the trailhead parking to the summit of Grays. About another 45 mins. to an hour or so to Torreys Peak from Grays Peak. Then about 2-2 1/2 to get back down.

I think the whole trek is close to around 8-10 miles. It was a great time, but it sure is a good workout.

brennahm
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
How many people "did the hike with you"? Bierstadt was packed. We were dodging people all day long and the peak was more than crowded.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
How many people "did the hike with you"? Bierstadt was packed. We were dodging people all day long and the peak was more than crowded.

There were quite a few people out...I wouldn't say crowded, but kinda busy. There were probably 8-10 others on each peak as we got to them with others on their way.

nattynoo
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
I would possibly be up to climbing this coming Sunday...done about 11 peaks (several of them several times)

Going up camping Saturday night and would be fun to do a peak or two on Sunday morning...

eg bter
Mon Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
I'm down

Skinbabe
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Beautiful pics guys!! Got I love colorado!!

brennahm
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm racing this Sunday and the following weekend I'll be in FL. Maybe 3 weeks out I can join you guys?

OUTLAWD
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I would possibly be up to climbing this coming Sunday...done about 11 peaks (several of them several times)

Going up camping Saturday night and would be fun to do a peak or two on Sunday morning...

Sounds good...any peaks in mind?

FZRguy
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Did a hut trip over the weekend; stayed two nights at the 10th Mtn hut at 11,300 ft. MTB ride to Uncle Bud’s hut on Sunday was awesone but hard. Very nice huts for about $30 per night/person…we had a great time. Check it out at http://www.huts.org/

nattynoo
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Sounds good...any peaks in mind?

Not yet. Just going up tomorrow to scope out a good camping spot and the plans will go on from there. Might just go and hike somewhere and forego the 14er climb...cuz we are going to have 6 dogs between Jon and I alone and that is a few too many to manage to climb that high.

brennahm
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
My chick's been bugging me to setup a snowshoe hut trip this winter...I guess that'll be another thread.

ghostrider_9
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
My chick's been bugging me to setup a snowshoe hut trip this winter...I guess that'll be another thread.

I am very much in for this! Let me know when you are going to do this. I even know of a few relatively easy trips that the women would enjoy too.

nattynoo
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Yeah, no thread jackin' :D

I am very much in for this! Let me know when you are going to do this. I even know of a few relatively easy trips that the women would enjoy too.

Glad that you are coming!!!

FZRguy
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM

We are planning a snowshoe trip too. Continental Divide hut sleeps only 8, requires full rental by one party, and is only ½ mile from the trail head. So good candidate for a smaller group.

brennahm
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Sweet!

OUTLAWD
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Not yet. Just going up tomorrow to scope out a good camping spot and the plans will go on from there. Might just go and hike somewhere and forego the 14er climb...cuz we are going to have 6 dogs between Jon and I alone and that is a few too many to manage to climb that high.

Looks like something came up...again...have fun with the pups. One of these days I will get some hiking done.

ghostrider_9
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM
We are planning a snowshoe trip too. Continental Divide hut sleeps only 8, requires full rental by one party, and is only ½ mile from the trail head. So good candidate for a smaller group.

When you start planning this, let me know. I am sure that myself and Monica will be in for it . . .

brennahm
Thu Aug 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Anyone else up for Gray and Torreys on Sunday?

No official meet/departure time yet but plan on early. Right now it's two of us and ANYONE is welcome to come.

honey
Thu Aug 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Is Sunday a definite plan? Please post further details (meet? time? etc)

eg bter
Thu Aug 20th, 2009, 09:42 PM
might be down for that

OUTLAWD
Thu Aug 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Anyone else up for Gray and Torreys on Sunday?

No official meet/departure time yet but plan on early. Right now it's two of us and ANYONE is welcome to come.

I'm down...for real this time

brennahm
Fri Aug 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM
Right now it's only my girlfriend and I. At this point she's a maybe, contingent upon how much she gets done on her PA school application.

I would really like to go although a solo trip is not what I'm considering a good idea. I'm glad some of you peeps are really interested.

Provisionally let's say meet at my house (just East of downtown Denver) and carpool from there. The drive is 1 hour west on I-70. We're looking at anywhere from 4.5 to 8 hours of climbing depending on fitness level. Meet time shall be 5:30, leaving promptly at 6.

All this is out of my ass at the moment so we can change anything. I suggest we stick to the times though.

Let's do this!

brennahm
Sat Aug 22nd, 2009, 08:41 AM
The gf is out. Unless at LEAST 2 people say they want to go then I'm bailing. PM me for my cell #, I will only have interwebz access until 5.

OUTLAWD
Sat Aug 22nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
I'm def in

brennahm
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
OUTLAWD and I did Gray's and Torrey's (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2862813&id=2047855&l=6b7136a037) today. You all missed out!

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Sun Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Great pics! So, now that you did Greys and Torreys, whats your thoughts on how they compared to Bierstadt? I'm looking at doing Bierstadt next summer when my daughter comes back for her summer break from college.

BTW-

How long did it take to the first summit?

OUTLAWD
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Good times mang...def have to do it again

~Barn~
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing them.

brennahm
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM
No prob. The gf is very pissed she missed it so it may be a rehike very soon.

Harder than Bierstadt for sure, but not a technically difficult hike. Rest as you need to (which for my hungover ass was quite often). Bierstadt was like a long inclined walk, very easy considering you get to 14k feet.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
No prob. The gf is very pissed she missed it so it may be a rehike very soon.

Harder than Bierstadt for sure, but not a technically difficult hike. Rest as you need to (which for my hungover ass was quite often). Bierstadt was like a long inclined walk, very easy considering you get to 14k feet.

Sweet...Bierstadt will be our next one then.

~Barn~
Mon Aug 24th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Bierstadt is fun. I especially like how you lose elevation at the beginning, as you walk across the meadow. :lol: