PDA

View Full Version : Bike Transport

Reyven
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:38 AM
How hard is it to transport a bike in the back of a truck? Is there anything special to worry about, a certain way that seems to work best? What is the best way to get the bike into the truck?

Shea
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Pretty easy. Loading it is the main hurdle (depending on the truck). Have a buddy help you and it's much easier. Do you have a ramp?

sugarrey
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I never used a truck, but a trailer, but the same applies. Back the truck up to a dip in your yard (or someones yard) so when the tailgate is dropped it is level with the grass, drive the bike in. I usually strap around the triple tree, I never used to strap the hook to the bike, strap the hook to the strap and loop around the triple, those hooks can really do some damage, and pull it tight. Make sure that the strap is not tight against a fairing (like I once did) and screwed up my fairing. Then I use to use 2 other straps around the back peg assembly. Strap her down tight enough so the suspension is compressed.

AND.....After you drive for about 5 minutes, pull over and re-tighten.

Hope this helps.

rforsythe
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Try to use the soft-tie straps around a suitable strap point on the bike, then hook to the straps and not the bike. Beyond that just make sure the forks are compressed but not bottomed out by the straps. Also lock or tie off the strap ends into the buckle such that they can't come loose without you meaning them to, since it does happen from time to time. You can tie off the back end too if you want some extra piece of mind.

Otherwise, get a ramp and put the back wheels of the truck into a dip or against a curb or something just to lower the distance you have to push it/jump, and get a friend.

A couple different placement methods, both work:
1. Center the bike in the bed, make sure the bike is straight related to the bed as well (not turned on the front wheel).
2. Wedge the front wheel into one of the front corners of the bed at an angle, and lift up the back of the bike and pull it all the way over to the opposite side of the bed.

#1 is easier to get in and out, #2 is a little more secure because the truck itself is helping hold the bike up. Your call.

Reyven
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Pretty easy. Loading it is the main hurdle (depending on the truck). Have a buddy help you and it's much easier. Do you have a ramp?

i dont, that was my next question, where can i find one?

I never used a truck, but a trailer, but the same applies. .......

Hope this helps.

very much, thank you

Try to use the soft-tie straps around a suitable strap point on the bike......

#1 is easier to get in and out, #2 is a little more secure because the truck itself is helping hold the bike up. Your call.

definitely good info. thanks :)

bulldog
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
i dont, that was my next question, where can i find one?

very much, thank you

definitely good info. thanks :) I have a buddy that was just telling me he wants to sell his ramp. PM me if you are interested and I can get you pics and info.

Sully
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Check CL for used ramps... Grand Prix probably has new ones..

bulldog
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I briefly talked to my buddy about his ramp and he said the brand is "Fly" and is foldable. He only used it once and then got in a dirtbike accident and can't ride anymore. He is a good guy that is on disability right now and would probably appreciate the money more than someone on craigslist. I say make him and offer and help both you out :)

I think it is the 79 inch, but I am not sure.
http://www.flyracing.com/products/hard-parts/ramps/folding-runway

Cars-R-Coffins
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM
This makes it pretty easy... http://www.canyondancer.com/

bulldog
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
This makes it pretty easy... http://www.canyondancer.com/ Some people are really against canyon dancers. I have a pair I used forever until I hear that they can bend your handlbars. Opinions anyone???

= Buckeye Jess =
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM
This makes it pretty easy... http://www.canyondancer.com/
That's what I've got on my bike right now and it is the original style. I see that the new one has cups so you don't shred the grips. Any suggestions on how to avoid that with the original harness? Methinks I'm going to end up having to get new grips by the time this trip is over....

Some people are really against canyon dancers. I have a pair I used forever until I hear that they can bend your handlbars. Opinions anyone???
It says right on the packaging that you shouldn't crank down on it too hard or you do risk bending the handlebars. If I remember correctly, you are only supposed to compress the forks 2-3" with it to avoid bending.

Done threadjacking now... lol

Reyven
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Done threadjacking now... lol

no worries, it helps me out in the end!

Sully
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I've used a canyon dancer a couple of times, instead of going through the bar ends, I went down through the forks area, that seemed to work fine. I've also used regular tie downs and have had good luck. There was only one incident where one of my grips was twisted, but nothing was ever bent. :)

sugarrey
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I got straps if you would like to use them

willb003
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Ive got two ramps you can borrow.

Sean
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Reyven, the one thing I didn't see mentioned is to load the bike without the aid of the engine. Most people load it into a truck by pushing. It's easy for a hand to slip off of the clutch and have the bike go a "little" farther forward than you might want. Get a rolling start and use the momentum to get it up the ramp.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 06:57 PM
pm sent, I also have a ramp that you can use and tiedowns.

Bueller
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 08:21 PM
ride it up the ramp :lol:

I tie the front end down lightly (at the bottom triple if possible) and use another set of tie downs at the mid/back of bike from frame or rearsets or sub frame. These are the ones I put the most tension on.

BTW I was just kidding about riding the ramp. I do it with my dirt bikes but not my streets.

Speedwagon
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM
ride it up the ramp :lol:

I tie the front end down lightly (at the bottom triple if possible) and use another set of tie downs at the mid/back of bike from frame or rearsets or sub frame. These are the ones I put the most tension on.

BTW I was just kidding about riding the ramp. I do it with my dirt bikes but not my streets.

I used to do that with my Seca... until I was loading a different bike, and lost it. After having the bike fall ontop of me, on a gravel driveway, behind the truck, I don't do that anymore.

Captain Obvious
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I always push/walk my bike into the bed of the truck, but I have long legs.

I have a 2x12 that has the end pieces from a lawnmower ramp to keep the board from moving around.

I have always used canyondancers. Never have had any problems and I have torqued a couple times tighter than I needed. I have a set of cheap grips on the bike right now, and the dancer has chewed the ends up a bit.

I try to get 4 points of contact to hold the bike down. Soft ties keep the hard hooks off the bike, always tie to metal and remember the straps do move a bit, if touching plastic, it will rub paint off.

Aracheon
Wed Jun 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Sportchock.html

End of story. Toss that into the back of your truck, drive the bike into it, and then get off and strap the bike forward. Much less stress on your fork seals, and it makes loading and unloading a one-man operation.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2mhvrt3.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/ff67iu.jpg

Speedwagon
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 03:59 AM
http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Sportchock.html

End of story. Toss that into the back of your truck, drive the bike into it, and then get off and strap the bike forward. Much less stress on your fork seals, and it makes loading and unloading a one-man operation.

Hmm... will have to look into that. Can do double duty in the garage, to hold it upright instead of leaning, for working on it and whatnot. Although, kinda pricey.

Bueller
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 05:50 AM
$250 :lol:
I guess, but I'll just keep doing the old fashioned way. He could almost ship the bike for that price

Sean
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Kind of similar
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96349

rforsythe
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 07:06 AM

Did the magic mop on your head tell you that?

Sir Bacon Lube
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I suppose we are taking your bike and leaving mine at home....... :)

Reyven
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I suppose we are taking your bike and leaving mine at home....... :)

It doesn't matter, either one.....

Reyven
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I got straps if you would like to use them

i think i found some, but will let you know. thank you so much!

Ive got two ramps you can borrow.

I might take you up on this :) Thank you!

willb003
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM
yep, just let me know when ya need em.

Reyven
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
yep, just let me know when ya need em.

sometime this weekend?

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 08:49 PM
WARNING!!!!
dont forget to hook the ramp on to the truck!!!!

Reyven
Thu Jun 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM
WARNING!!!!
dont forget to hook the ramp on to the truck!!!!
:slappers:would totally be something i would do.....

Ol'Skool
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Theres a uhaul on Hwy287 & 136th that rents bike trailers for about $20. Just a thought.

Reyven
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Theres a uhaul on Hwy287 & 136th that rents bike trailers for about $20. Just a thought.

thanks for the info. will definitely keep it in mind for the future. We dont have a hitch on the ridgeline though :cry: so no trailers yet.

Sir Bacon Lube
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 07:12 AM
we better get on that hitch for the Ridgeline huh?

Reyven
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 07:37 AM

might be a good invsetment :scramble:

Aracheon
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 09:22 AM
$250 :lol:
I guess, but I'll just keep doing the old fashioned way. He could almost ship the bike for that price

I paid $150 for mine at Fay Myers when they were clearing them out at the Jason Britton show last year.

cdbouncer
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 11:08 AM

We got a hitch put on the old S-10 for around $100. Totally worth it to be able to take both bikes....what fun is one bike?! :shocked:

Sir Bacon Lube
Fri Jun 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
We got a hitch put on the old S-10 for around $100. Totally worth it to be able to take both bikes....what fun is one bike?! :shocked:

Yeah, two bikes would be much better.:hump: