PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problem

Jmetz
Thu Jul 10th, 2003, 11:37 AM
I re did my front brake lines last night. Hooked everything up and went to bleed the brakes. I get brake fluid comming out of the bleed screw, went through a whole resavoir, half at a time as not to get any air in the line. Now the problem...No pressure in the lever. I'm not getting any pressure build up in the lever but the calipers are bleeding just fine. :?
Any help would be appreciated as I cant seem to figure this one out.

Anonymous
Thu Jul 10th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Did you possibly suck fluid back up into the bleed screw?

Jmetz
Thu Jul 10th, 2003, 12:10 PM
No I was using a towel for the fluid so there was none to suck back up if it would have happened.

jrok929
Thu Jul 10th, 2003, 12:29 PM
do you have aftermarket lines?....make sure you have the bleeder bolt lined up correctly with new crush washers....I had a similar problem with mine and had to use new washers to get the lines to build up.

Anonymous
Thu Jul 10th, 2003, 12:48 PM
No I was using a towel for the fluid so there was none to suck back up if it would have happened.

That won't prevent air from getting back in (trust me, I went through this last night). I have a speed bleeder, I need to finish up my bike today but stop by around 7:30-8 and you can pick it up from me. The thing is you need to keep it a sealed system and force the old fluid out. I'll show ya what I mean, just swing by this evening...

BladeRider
Thu Jul 10th, 2003, 12:51 PM
How can the calipers bleed just fine if there's no pressure in the lever? Is it just dripping out when you crack 'em?

I had a similar problem when I installed a set of galfers on my Falco. Here's what I did to solve it:

1. If you have an adjustable brake lever, make sure it's adjusted all the way out away from the grip. I had mine set real close and the master cyliner wasn't getting a good enough pump to bleed the air out of it.
2. I had to bleed the master cylinder after bleeding the calipers to get the lever to harden up. I'm lucky enough to have a bleeder on it, you may have to crack the line at the mastercyliner to get the air out.

HTH!

Anonymous
Thu Jul 10th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Here's the procedure:

1. Open bleed valve 1/2 turn (helps to have a tube connected to collect the fluid)
2. Squeeze the brake lever slowly. DO NOT LET GO.
3. Close the bleed valve.
4. Slowly (over several seconds) release the lever, wait about 10 seconds, repeat.
5. Do NOT let fluid drain fully or you will get to start all over again. ANY air in the line will mean no more braking. Add fresh Dot4 when it gets low.
- If you just left the bleedvalve open and pumped the lever, it got air in the line.

Of course if you have a mityvac (vacuum pump, just sucks the fluid out @ the caliper) it's a lot easier. Just attach, squeeze to suck the fluid, and keep fresh in the reservior at all times. When you see fresh fluid coming through the tube without bubbles, that's it, you're done.

Josh go get another bottle or two of the same fluid you used to flush it last night, you're going to waste some while you get the air out. Use my pump, it will help a lot.

Jmetz
Fri Jul 11th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Problem solved... the bleeder screws were sucking air through the threads.