PDA

View Full Version : whats the best track for someone who has never gone before

michaelawsome
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM
i would really like to go to a track some time but i dont no like which one is better.. is hpr good. thats the closest i think. and how much would i end up spending? can you rent the full suit and boots?

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:18 PM
IMI may not be the longest, newest, or best condition track, but you can't beat $35 for 10am-sun down. Granted, they don't have corner workers or life support on site, but it helped me to work on body positioning until 213213123 people showed up around Noon (This was on a Sunday). IMI would be good practice on a weekday, I feel. Also, after talking to a few people, they seem to be in agreement that IMI is also great for working on endurance since it's small and thus leaves little room for rest. And someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure all IMI requires is a helmet (for better or worse)

And watching the cafe racers go around IMI was great!!! :D :lol:

I might try to hit up IMI on a Monday or Wednesday in a week or two. There were too many people out there over the weekend.

OUTLAWD
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:31 PM
+1 for IMI to get saddle time, but if you're headed out alone, chances of catching someone there to get pointers from will be slim.

it was a hell of a workout throwing my 500+ pound pig around IMI, but I had an awesome time. I'm going to try to make it again soon

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I like IMI too. You can't get into too much trouble if you can't get out of second gear. It's a small, technical track so you can practice turns instead of practicing doing 100mph in the straights.

On the down side, the people who do ride there don't necessarily have the training to be on a track. As long as you're open for instruction, it'll be good. And while you may not need a helmet, you're nuts if that's all the gear you wear.

Carl

michaelawsome
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:37 PM
i wish i had the suitt

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:42 PM
On the down side, the people who do ride there don't necessarily have the training to be on a track. As long as you're open for instruction, it'll be good. And while you may not need a helmet, you're nuts if that's all the gear you wear.

Carl

Carl,

You most def. need a helmet up there. I agree with you about training for the track, since I feel like I was in that category. I was working on body positioning and lines until the track started filling up and I got passed on the outside rather closely. Kind of ruined the day for me since it caught me off guard. The best thing you can do though is get there at gate open and spend a few laps getting to know the line (or have someone show it to you). You HAVE to be predictable when you are new on the track.

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Carl,

You most def. need a helmet up there. I agree with you about training for the track, since I feel like I was in that category. I was working on body positioning and lines until the track started filling up and I got passed on the outside rather closely. Kind of ruined the day for me since it caught me off guard. The best thing you can do though is get there at gate open and spend a few laps getting to know the line (or have someone show it to you). You HAVE to be predictable when you are new on the track.

I meant "while you may not need gear" :)

When I get there early, I tend to push it hard and not come in as quickly as later in the day. It pushes my endurance up and lets me play longer. It's been too long since I've gone out though.

Carl

Gramps
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM
This is much easier said than done but don't go to the track, any track until you have the proper gear and instruction.

With that being said if you have the proper gear and someone to give you proper instruction then any track is good for a beginner.

Do a Chicane day and get in the never-ever group. No better way to do it right.

IMI is very dangerous in my opinion. No instruction, no gear, same as fighting the cagers. Maybe worse.

:)

asp_125
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:54 PM
If you have never been on the track, I recommend getting into a track day class. Best money you'll ever spend. You could easily spend more on tires. Goofing around by yourself or at IMI with someone who isn't an accomplished racer will lead to bad habits or trying to push too hard, too soon. For starting out, there are a few folks here who can lend you the gear, just see the track day threads and ask.

Think
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I think minimum requirements gear wise at IMI is helmet, jacket, and gloves. But make sure to stick to your lines, especially when the supermotos are out. I can't count how many close calls I've had when they swing right out in front of me.

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot about that. Never ever with Chicane is like 50-60 bux and worth the money if you don't bin it at the end of the straightway :D

And for the record, I never! claimed to be an experienced racer. :)

chad23
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I like IMI as well. Its cheep, close and if you plan ahead and go on a weekday, its pretty common to get others to join you. Its not the greatest nor the fastest but a great way to feel out your bike and start to get an idea of what your bike feels like at lean angles, and hard braking. You should walk away from there with a better understanding of how you bike handles. and its cheap...and go on a weekday

Matrix
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I agree with Gramps on IMI. The lack of controls their make it a little to odd for me. Anybody, with no exerience, and no supervision can show up and do whatever. Plus they dont tech the bikes so who knows what is on the track at any given point in time.
I like the idea of what IMI is but wouldnt recommend it to anyone. As mentioned previously the Chicane setup is by far the best way to give a track a shot and with a little help from others the minimum gear requirements are easy to be had.

michaelawsome
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
yea thanks for all the input.. im deff going to have to say you have to be 18 to go haha.. sucks for me im not 18 yet

Sean
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Best thing to do as a beginner is take a Chicane track day.
- Great teaching
- times when ONLY beginners are out there (low stress)
- all bikes and riders are tech'ed
- Corner workers and emt's (just in case)
- instruction available all day long

imi is fun, but not for your first time. There are just to many variables for me. Plus I like to leave 2nd gear every now and then. :lol:

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM
But does 2nd gear want to leave you? :)

I don't recall reading anything about age restrictions, although I'm sure one would have to be 18 in order to sign the waiver & release at the tracks.

In other news, possible tornado up by HPR today...

Sean
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I don't recall reading anything about age restrictions, although I'm sure one would have to be 18 in order to sign the waiver & release at the tracks.Rybo would have to chime in for sure, but I would think that for insurance reasons, everyone would need to be 18 y/o. Luckily, how old we act is not relevent in the least :D

michaelawsome
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:27 PM
what id i get a paper signed by my parent that might work! we will see

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Well, in all reality, they won't be checking your ID at the gate...

Just get your gear in order the best you can before heading out. Oh, and don't crash in borrowed leathers. Very bad ju-ju. :D

Sean
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Well, in all reality, they won't be checking your ID at the gate...Not the best advise in the world :no: I would be willing to bet that the fine people at registration would check an id if they thought a rider was under 18. If something happened, both Chicane and the rider could run into alot of issues. I don't think it would even be worth it.

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Wasn't advocating, Sean. Merely making a point. In the end, people will do what they will.

Slo
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:39 PM
double post sorry.

Sean
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Wasn't advocating, Sean. Merely making a point. In the end, people will do what they will.That's it Zach! :scream1: Lets fight, right now! I'm sick of you and your crap. :guns: I can't take it, so lets just finish this right now you suit borrowing-turn 1 crashing-son of a....

j/k it's all good. :slappers:I'm just squishing the rebelious thoughts that might be in our new-to-the-track friend.

Hope to see you out on the track sometime Michael. It's really fun and really addictive.

Slo
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Best option is probably something along the lines of a track oriented class. There are several to choose from including the Chicane days....

IMI is not a bad option, no, they don't have medical personel there onsite, but everyone knows how often I have been there. I can still count on one hand in the past 2 years on people getting hurt on sportbikes. Actually the number is 5 people in the past 2.5 years for the ones that I know of.

As a beginner or for a refresher, it's a good option for something close, and cheap, and lot's of commradery just like any other track day. Just be carefull on who you ask questions to since everyone on 2 wheels is a subject matter expert. But your first time even at IMI, you will want a thorough set of answers on some basic do's and don'ts...... And let's not forget, it's cheap, 35 bucks.

IMI does require at a minimum of jacket helmet and gloves. However 99.9% of us would still recommend full leathers, boots, gloves, helmet, back protector.

McVaaahhh
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
IMHO - Get/borrow the gear before you even think about hitting any track. My belief is that the track IS the place to push it, and in doing so you're upping your chances to crash. My full set of gear (leather jacket, pants, gloves and Sidi Boots) cost probably around $600 total. Find deals on ebay/craigs/etc, or borrow it for track days.

I don't care what the rules say you're a fool if you go to the race track wearing anything less than full leathers. There's a long list of people on this board that have tossed it at the track (including myself) and every track day I go to there's at least 1 or 2 crashers. It's just not worth the risk.

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM
And if you borrow gear, you better have the cash to replace it. Felt like I should throw that in there :)

McVaaahhh
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM
And if you borrow gear, you better have the cash to replace it. Felt like I should throw that in there :)

Yeah, but I'd rather have someone owe me cash, than have to visit them in the hospital.

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Agreed.

racedk6
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
here is what you SHOULD do.

1. Go get all the protective gear you need. That fits YOU properly.
2. Sign up for the "never ever" Chicane Trackday.
3. Sell your kidney cause you will be hooked on riding at the track.

IMO... IMI is to small of a track to do anything. It has no organization what so ever. There is only one type of turn there... SLOW.

Also without proper instruction, it is hard to learn proper body position and the proper line. When you go to a Chicane day you are getting schooled by licensed racers that know what they are doing.

Bueller
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Didn't read all of this, but IMI is cheap, very few restrictions, go early or late on weekends to minimize traffic issues or go weekdays, even afterwork is good for a workout.
Helmet, gloves, jacket and some boots. Don't push it! Go out learn the track, get some pointers if people are there (take advise there with a grain of salt, as not many there are "experts"), but first and foremost hold your line, don't get out of peoples way, you will get passed. And if getting past on a track bothers you, get used to it :lol:.Some will feel close but if they are flying by it's probably know what they are doing. This will give you an idea as to whether or not you like track riding. If it is what you want to do, then look into investing in additional gear.
At the least it will give you some intense cornering experience without the added risks you face on the streets.

Slo
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:32 PM
- IMO... IMI is to small of a track to do anything.
- There is only one type of turn there... SLOW.

Yeah you're right.... you can't do anything on a smaller track like IMI. No carrying any kind of speed, lean angle, or technique at IMI... Maybe you should come out there one of these days. :turtle:

Gramps
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Do any of you guys remember 502?:(

Do everything you can to keep bad history from repeating itself.

Track supervision and organization is worth every penny each one of us pays for it. We should all be shouting the benefits of gear and track supervision.

racedk6
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah you're right.... you can't do anything on a smaller track like IMI. No carrying any kind of speed, lean angle, or technique at IMI... Maybe you should come out there one of these days. :turtle:

You can only learn so much at a go-cart track, actually I can learn just as much in a empty parking lot with some cones.

Maybe you should bring some of your go-cart track techniques out to the big tracks and see how well they work.

For some reason I dont think going 15mph around a hairpin turn is gonna help you go fast up turn 7 at highplains. I dont think it will help much with braking from the top of 6th gear going into turn 1 at Pueblo either.

I also dont think it is a smart idea to take a first time track rider to a place that has no supervision and have him run around with carts and supermoto bikes.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
+1

Bueller
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Track supervision and organization is worth every penny each one of us pays for it. We should all be shouting the benefits of gear and track supervision.
Some people just don't have the $ to ride those days, hell I know I don't (anymore). That is a lot of $. The alternative is happening pretty regular around here. All these newer riders wading their shit up in the canyons, because the can't corner. I just taught my GF to ride and I will be taking her to IMI (on a weekday) so she can learn to "ride" her bike.

Nick_Ninja
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
^IMI is probably good for that.

Sean
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM
For some reason I dont think going 15mph around a hairpin turn is gonna help you go fast up turn 7 at highplains. I dont think it will help much with braking from the top of 6th gear going into turn 1 at Pueblo either.This is true, but I also don't think you should discredit the things that it does have to offer. You can learn the basics of lines, get an idea for getting off of the bike and the basics of leaning; all at a slower speed. I agree with the idea that it shouldn't be the first experience, but I think it has some good things to offer, and at an affordable price. There are certain things that bigger tracks prepare you for, but you can learn/practice some things at imi.

Gramps
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Some people just don't have the $ to ride those days, hell I know I don't (anymore). That is a lot of $. The alternative is happening pretty regular around here. All these newer riders wading their shit up in the canyons, because the can't corner. I just taught my GF to ride and I will be taking her to IMI (on a weekday) so she can learn to "ride" her bike.

I understand. But sticking to the original premise of the post we are talking about going to a track the first time.

There wasn't any mention of budget or time constraints.

Also if you are taking your GF to IMI on a weekday and you are going to instruct her and guage the situation then I'm not necessarily against that. I've been there a few times myself. Had fun.

I just don't want a new person to go there and get hurt. I just don't think you're giving a rider a good chance to learn the right way to do things at a track that really has no concern for the safety of the riders. In the past the management has been pretty clear that they cater to the carts. They will be happy to take your money, but they are not really concerned with your well being.

To each his own I guess. Just playing the other side that people have lost their lives because they wanted the "cheap" track day. I want a track day with value. I'll be more than happy to pay for corner workers and EMT's.

Money is the problem? Think of it this way.

Just for arguments sake let's say you go to a "cheap" track day and get hurt. You get hurt because a newish rider cliped you from behind as you were getting off the track and giving the proper signal. He/She didn't know what the signal meant because they had no training. Now you're hurt. Say you can't work for six months because you broke your leg. All of a sudden that cheap track day cost you a lot. Could it happen at another track? For sure. Are the chances greater without proper oversight? There is no way to argue this fact.

Captain Obvious
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
+1 on any track with a track organization.

The instruction, supervision, organization, support and easing a new rider onto a track are far more important than which track you are on. Only exception might be Daytona or PPIR. You don't want to have to tackle going up on the NASCAR banking while you have a million other things going through your head, but it is definitely an experience!!!!!

asp_125
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Plus with the "never ever" program a Chicane track day is what.. only like two IMI days? Many people spend way more for a day on the slopes or a round of golf.

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Having said what I've said, I would 10/10 times rather attend a Chicane even than IMI from a safely and comfortability standpoint.

Slo
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 05:08 PM
You can only learn so much at a go-cart track, actually I can learn just as much in a empty parking lot with some cones. .
You can actually learn a good amount at IMI, but obviously yes, you can learn even more at the "bigger tracks"... It is however, a good stepping stone to get some basics down.

Maybe you should bring some of your go-cart track techniques out to the big tracks and see how well they work. .
I have heard that from so many people in the past. My go-cart track techniques did me just fine at pueblo and hastings. No I wasn't the fastest, but I did just fine.... To be honest, "some" of the speeds were indeed higher, but the feel was very similar, just on a wider sometimes smoother track.

For some reason I dont think going 15mph around a hairpin turn is gonna help you go fast up turn 7 at highplains. I dont think it will help much with braking from the top of 6th gear going into turn 1 at Pueblo either. .
I wasn't the best late braker on that turn either, but it still worked out for me. And saying IMI is nothing but 15mph turns, that's a crock. If we are speaking facts, running race tires, just for myself, 75mph+ is possible through the turns with others running even faster.

I also dont think it is a smart idea to take a first time track rider to a place that has no supervision and have him run around with carts and supermoto bikes.
You have a point, depending on the situation. Sessions between the carts and bikes are usually split up. The guys and girls I have taken, have always done well. I see no issue with running with the supermoto's. I love running out there when Krod and Bueller and those groups are around.

In the end, all I am saying is that the big tracks are good, yes you can learn a lot. And on actual days like Chicane, with medical personel and other riders that can teach and supervise, yes, you can't go wrong. But don't discredit the go-cart track as far as learning. You can learn a lot at IMI. Your top novice rode their every weekend before hitting up the MRA. Obviously he learned "something" from there.

dm_gsxr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
It was the first track for me and I really enjoyed it. I like it a lot more than going to Pueblo. Pueblo was fun and all but IMI is closer to real life street riding for me. I have more problems with tighter corners than high speed sweepers.

Carl

nwatkins
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I have to go plus one for the Chicane Never Ever days. I think IMI might be a better second track day track. I have never been there though. I don't see too many Chicane Days coming up though...

michaelawsome
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 05:51 PM
ok so if i was going to go to hpr. give me a estimate on how much money i will be spending for a few hours of riding?

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Half day at an OPEN HPR lap day is $90. Price is similar going through Chicane, if I recall. Next Chicane day isn't until Aug 16th (besides R2SL), however.

michaelawsome
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 06:05 PM
ok so 90 bucks for a half day what about anything else. just 90 bucks.. what about the class

Bueller
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 06:08 PM
http://www.highplainsraceway.com/pdf/HPR-Lapping-Day-Policies.pdf

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Well if you go through Chicane it's like $60 for a FULL day at Pueblo for the 16th of August. Just find someone to go with and split the cost of gas, which is another $60ish depending on what they are hauling (toy hauler or simple 2/3 rail trailer), and attempt to borrow as much equipment as you can find. Either save up the money and get a CL/Ebay suit or find someone's to borrow. Also other things like some spare gas, munchies, water, etc.

I have personally found that the track community in Colorado is full of the most kind hearted and well meaning people around, making it pretty easy to find people with spare gear.

Slo
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I have personally found that the track community in Colorado is full of the most kind hearted and well meaning people around, making it pretty easy to find people with spare gear.

You're so full of sh*t and I hate you...... BTW, can I have a hug?

Hi11Zone
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM
how tall are you? and weigh. if u dont mind lookin like a green a power ranger u can rent out my suit. Send me a pm

[/URL]
[URL="http://img196.imageshack.us/i/000k0001gcq.jpg/"]http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3011/000k0001gcq.jpg (http://f.imagehost.org/view/0873/000K0001gCq)

Zach929rr
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 07:13 PM
^^ SEE JAY!!!!!! Blow me. :321: TOLD YOU SO.

:D

JohnGarc
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Besides your gear, bring lots and lots of water and some food... All they have there is chips and it sucks when you are really hungry from riding all day.

Slo
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hehe, you could always order pizza from some bar in firestone. They deliver to the track, bobby inside the office knows of the place. Great pizza too!!!

dm_gsxr
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Assuming IMI, they do have snacks and drinks. Of course it's cheaper if you bring your own stuff :)

Carl

5280ZX6R
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM
My first on track experience was 8 years ago at PPIR. I took a school setup by Team InfoTech. The format was a Saturday school, followed by a Sunday track day. I believe it was $250.

Obviously there are a lot of people here with different first experiences. And they all have good points. For me, I took a track school because I wanted to ride fast, get my knee down, all that...and I felt that was the safest/best option. I had already purchased full gear in anticipation of riding at the track after the school, and of course, full gear was a requirement. Borrowing gear is a great option and there are many very generous forum members that would let you borrow gear. There are some very affordable suit options out there though, and I’ve never heard anyone get off the track and say they don’t like it. J Personally, I wanted instruction. I wanted to get to that next level, and I felt (and still feel) that some form of instruction is the best way to do that. You'll create good habits that will last your riding lifetime, instead of forming ones that can be hard to break. Learning with people of similar abilities will foster a learning environment that is much easier to develop skills in than worrying about racers or go carts approaching you with a huge discrepancy in speed.

While I've never ridden at IMI before, and understand that many people find it extremely cost effective, it's just not an appealing track to me. I would much rather prefer riding/learning at a larger track like Pueblo, HPR, or even Hastings or PPIR. I think a larger track provides a safer environment due to run off, corner workers, and dedicated sessions. IMI may be a slow track, and it may be hard to get out of second gear, but let's be honest, we all know the dynamics of motorcycle crashes are not linear and crashing at 100mph does not mean more damage than crashing at 30mph. We've all seen extreme damage from slow speed get offs just the same as high speed. I’m all for minimal investment in order to find out if something is for you however, recommending that you jump in to the deep end and go purchase $1500 worth of gear isn’t what I would do either. There’s a happy medium in the middle that’s hard for us to find without knowing what you’re willing to/can afford to spend. And that’s for you to decide not us.

No particular track will be easier for you as a beginner. My opinion is that has more to do with the environment you’re learning in rather than the track itself. All tracks offer a different set of challenges. Also, the vast majority of track days for motorcycles fall on weekdays. For most people, that means taking time off work. If I’m taking hard to come by vacation days…I’ll be at HPR, not IMI. We’ve got a multimillion dollar, brand new race track within an hour and a half of virtually all of the Denver-Metro area…there’s no way I’m telling anyone to go to a go kart track.

jplracing
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Gramps...couldn't have said it better myself

I would highly recommend doing the Chicane Never Ever program or simply sign up for the school. What you will learn will pay off 10 fold

mra828
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM
i would really like to go to a track some time but i dont no like which one is better.. is hpr good. thats the closest i think. and how much would i end up spending? can you rent the full suit and boots?

Check out Jason Pridmore's Star School as another option to what's been suggested so far. I posted some info about it here:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32361

They're coming to HPR in July - great for beginners - and they do rent leathers.

Zach929rr
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I definitely would not have spent $300+ on my first trackday, but looks like a very good option.

Sean
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Just a side note, in case some people don't know. A new rider can sign up for the track day and take the class, if the "Never Ever" is full. The only difference is that you pay the same fee that everyone else does.

dm_gsxr
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I guess it depends on what you're trying to learn. I do a lot of riding and enjoy playing in the canyons from time to time. I read the books and pay attention on sites like this. So I've learned how to street ride better and with more confidence.

I originally went to IMI because it's close and there wasn't anything else in the area. I found I liked the slower, tighter and more technical track. It's also not a track where I have to take the day off of work to go play. I can go after work or on the weekend.

When I had a hard time getting the 'busa leaned over, I decided I wanted to try harder so I bought the SV650S in my sig from an MRA racer. Since I wasn't planning on getting that deep into tracks, I converted it back to a street bike but generally just ride it to IMI or trailer it down to Pueblo. I signed up for a track day in Pueblo and bought some used leathers and boots and got gloves thrown in for free so I was prepared.

The first time I took the SV to IMI, I started the day getting my knee down (again, see sig). Right then I learned that I was doing everything right, just that I had the wrong equipment :)

I got a ride with others going to Pueblo and we went down. I went to take the track day class and found out I'm just not that good. :)

I'm already planning on going to a more advanced street riding class and maybe, someday, go to one of the track schools and really learn how to race.

I figure I'm just too inexperienced to keep going to the tracks and don't want to be remembered as someone who killed a good rider (502).

So I'll stick to the slower track. I'm putting the SV up for sale again before this weekend since I did want I wanted to do. I'll keep the track gear since I do plan on improving and eventually going back to the track to learn more. But I'm not going to be racing. That hobby is just a bit expensive for me :)

I'll see you at IMI and one of these days at High Plains if they'll have me.

Ride safe.

Carl

Repsol a095
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I understand and appreciate everyone's opinion, but I have only good things to say about IMI. While I agree that coaching is a powerful tool, I also believe that a quiet track (during the week) can offer you a safe place to practice a variety of skills. While I had many people tell me how to ride, it wasn't until I was by myself at IMI going at a slow pace that I learned to put my knee down and find the best line on the track. While I do not consider myself a great rider, IMI has helped me to step my riding abilities up to another level with a sense of safety at an affordable price.

On another note, you will have to deal with the "Mom and Pop" sort of environment at this track. This is when you have to use your own common sense. You need to come to the track as prepared as possible, whether that means full gear, food, drinks, and so on.

I would be more than happy to ride with you during the week and you show you what I think is the line around the track. Otherwise, go out there, slow way down and choose a few things to work on whether it is body positioning, finding the line, or just understanding your own bike.

I do understand why IMI gets the rep that it does, but we are extremely lucky to have an option like this that is close to town and affordable.

mra828
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Just to add to my previous post...

STAR is typically made up of 70-80% street riders whenever I've gone - the slow group is almost exclusively street riders. I've seen cruisers out learning skills in the slow group. There are rules against inside passes and restricting how close you can pass. It's definately focused on learning and a very safe 1st outing. My first track outing was with Jason's father's (Reg) CLASS school @ SCR years ago.

Yes it's more expensive than some of the other options mentioned, but they've been doing it for a looong time and are very professional/safe.

The fast group typically has the same restrictions as the slow group - to limit group/"racer" mentality and make folks focus on the drills. It's sometimes lifted @ the end of day 2 if everyone's playing nice.

They do a real good job of making it a school/skills learning day and not a track day / "lap timer" session.

cromer611
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 11:57 AM
IMI is great for body positioning and getting your knee down for the first time. not to mention the $35 for the full day. But other than that IMI will never teach you what you Really need to know. Going around a track at 40 mph wont teach you how far to look ahead in the corner when your going 110mph at pueblo or HPR.

Pueblo is a great humbling track for beginners as well. The bikes actually get out of second gear.

HPR is a friggin awesome track. Has a great variety of turns to make you pucker like never before.

as far as classes go, the Never ever class if probly the best bet. You will be trained by expert racers with the MRA.

noskills
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Get your leathers first. Leathers aren't just for the track so they are money well spent.

Learn to walk before you can run. IMI has its place in the learning scheme. IMI is dangerous but not half as dangerous as the canyons.

When you want to step up to a big track and have the money, Chicane at HPR would be the way to go. It’s a beautiful track with great elevation changes. Now if I could get my wife out of school and back to work I would go back! :cry:

michaelawsome
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
sweet. thanks for all the input. im deff going to save up for the class and be prepared as possible.

Zach929rr
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Good call Mike. :up:

Autom8ed
Wed Jun 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I would definately advocate full leathers at any track no matter how slow it is. Your injury during an "off" will largely depend on the luck of the tumble.

Case in point: I highsided going into turn 3 at Willow Springs going no more than 40mph and broke my pelvis and both hands. On the same track day, my friend lowsided in turn 9 doing 120+, slid on the track for a good 60 yards followed by a few cartwheels in the air and broke nothing.. just ground his right thumb to the bone during the slide.

The moral of the story is you never know how you're going to land once your butt leaves the saddle and its best to be prepared for the worst. The most expensive suit in the world is still cheaper than a typical broken bone..