PDA

View Full Version : New registration law?

wankel7
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 11:05 PM
So, I was reading on the mountain biking forum about some new law that passed 6/1.

If you fail to re-register your car/trailer/bike/there will be a $25 per month penalty for up to $100. It starts after your grace month ends.

You guys heard about this?

kevplus2
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 11:28 PM
So, I was reading on the mountain biking forum about some new law that passed 6/1.

If you fail to re-register your car/trailer/bike/there will be a $25 per month penalty for up to $100. It starts after your grace month ends.

my neighbor just got hit for it last week. he had a trailer in storage that he pulled out to get registered. tags ran out at the beginning of the year. they tagged him for 140...40 to register and 100 for the fine

sucks nuts

gotta be some way around it for vehicles you dont put on the road for an extende amount of time...like rebuilding a car or motorcycle.

wankel7
Mon Jun 15th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah, there should be this is retarded. If it is not using the roads...then why pay?

Edit

The real question is...how much is the ticket if you don't register the trailer?

kevplus2
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Yeah, there should be this is retarded. If it is not using the roads...then why pay?

Edit

The real question is...how much is the ticket if you don't register the trailer?

ahh...good question. also, you could probably just apply for a new title (in the case of the trailer) and only pay 30 ionstead of 100 (going on hearsay here...not sure if this is really possible)

DavidofColorado
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 02:52 AM
This isn't a tax though, because if it was the voters would have had a chance to vote on it. This is a fee. I seen it the last of last month and I couldn't register that day because of all people in front of me (250 and I gave up). I guess we're screwed on this one.

Shea
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Fees are just taxes for specific behavior. But then again I'm "unhinged"... :)

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 09:29 AM
yep its a fee and went into effect on June 1st. they are trying to find more ways to get money out of Nick Ninja since local law enforcement is having trouble meeting their quotas with him. :)

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 09:35 AM
If I'm not mistaken the funds go to the county clerk, department of motor vehicles, and not law enforcement. I have no problem with writing a check to the CC&R or the DMV. I do have a problem writing a check to lawyers and the court though.

Wyck
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah was at the dmv this month renewing registration for my car and getting temp plates for my bike and saw that. Also I was told registration fees double in July so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get the title to my bike before then so I can get it registered.

dapper
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Fees are just taxes for specific behavior. But then again I'm "unhinged"... :)
+1

There is a way around this, however it was not a law (irony) when I pleaded the case. :)

A really good excuse is all we have to use... :D

Sean
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
they are trying to find more ways to get money out of Nick Ninja since local law enforcement is having trouble meeting their quotas with him. :) :spit:

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM
What a load of shit!!! I just called the DMV and fortunately there's a $100 limit. I asked about project vehicles that are down for re-build or whatever. They said you still have to pay.

So my boat trailer used to be $20/year, now it will cost me $120 to register because I'm rebuilding the boat and didn't re-register the trailer last year.

The chick went on to say that it was pushed through extremely quick and we should call our legislators. Like that ever does anything!!!

asp_125
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 11:16 AM
That sucks, I've had my project bike in the garage all this time. Stupid gubbmit.

ChrisCBX
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 11:27 AM

Thanks for posting this. I didn't realize that there was another revenue generating nuisance fee to avoid.

I will need to make sure I keep up on all of my registrations from now on. My oldest bikes are only $18 a year to register. A $100 penalty is 5 years of registration.

We are going to see more and more fees/penalties like this since our local governmental agencies are desperate for money.

Wyck
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Those of you who are lapsed keep in mind not only is there the new late registration fee but regular registration fees double in July. Go take care of yo shit!

asp_125
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Those of you who are lapsed keep in mind not only is there the new late registration fee but regular registration fees double in July. Go take care of yo shit!

FRACK!! :banghead: :banghead: :scream1:

Spiderman
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
When I renewed my bike, SUV & trailer in May, they gave me a handout with the details of both the late fees and the increase... not sure if registration fees are doubling, but there are definite increases based on the weight of the vehicle being registered.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
You can renew online:
https://www.colorado.gov/apps/dor/dmv/vehicle/registration/renewal/welcome.jsf

DavidofColorado
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM
It only works if you haven't let your plate laps.

This will not go unanswered. I think Tax Ritter's number should be posted down at the license plate place.

Zach929rr
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM
You can renew online:
https://www.colorado.gov/apps/dor/dmv/vehicle/registration/renewal/welcome.jsf

Haven't done this before. I'm assuming they just mail you the new stickers to the address on the registration?

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Haven't done this before. I'm assuming they just mail you the new stickers to the address on the registration?

Yep.

modette99
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Mister BOYD
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM
So.. wait.. I'm a little confused here.. Do you or do you NOT get the 1 month grace to renew. IE - if my tags were up this month, do I have till the end of next month or does next month add $25 to the price of the new tags? This is so fuggin stupid. Might as well start taxing milk by volume if you let it go bad. Horse shit.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1243943882310

The Black Knight
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM
What a load of shit!!! I just called the DMV and fortunately there's a $100 limit. I asked about project vehicles that are down for re-build or whatever. They said you still have to pay.

So my boat trailer used to be $20/year, now it will cost me $120 to register because I'm rebuilding the boat and didn't re-register the trailer last year.

The chick went on to say that it was pushed through extremely quick and we should call our legislators. Like that ever does anything!!!
See that's BS, because for whatever vehicle you have and are rebuilding(trailer, bike, car/truck, etc) you still get pumped for not having it on the road. This is nonsense because can have vehicles in storage and work on them for years. So I wonder how this will affect those would-be hot road builder guys?? Some of them take years to rebuild their cars.

This is ridiculous, so along with Ritter's extra registration fee's, now we get spanked for not having our vehicles registered at all times. When you could easily justify not having a motorcycle registered in the winter months(yeah I know some ride year round)

The only thing I can say that they do right(if you pass your grace period) is after paying the fee and registration, you get to start off with a new month. I let my bike lapse as it was up in April, went all of May and since it started raining like crazy here in the Springs since mid May, I haven't ridden much. So I was just going to get my plates when I felt like it, because I hadn't been riding. Well I had to pay the extra fee($40+) but the only good thing, is now my plates started with a new month(June) so I get a full 12 months out of it.

FZRguy
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 07:32 PM
SB09-108 FASTER (Funding Advancement for Surface Transportation and Economic Recovery)

Late Fees, Road Safety Surcharge and Bridge Safety Surcharge

Late Fees

Colorado motor vehicle owners face a new late fee of up to $100 for failing to register their vehicles on time.

A law passed this year requires owners of motor vehicles registered on or after June 1, 2009 to make a timely payment or face late fees of $25 per month up to a total $100 per vehicle. The owner will continue to receive a one month grace period. Then, the $25-per-month late fee applies to any portion of the subsequent months for up to four months. Vehicles that have been issued temporary registrations (permits) are subject to the late fee.

Individuals who move to Colorado from out of state and do not register their vehicle within 90 days of residency will be charged late fees up to $100.00. Vehicles purchased by Colorado residents will be assessed late fees 61 days after the purchase date, if the vehicle is not registered.

Vehicles that are used to operate a commercial business as part of the normal operation of the business are exempt late fees if the vehicle has not been operated on any public highway in Colorado for one full registration period.

The owner of a vehicle who is active in the military serving outside Colorado when the registration grace period expires, if the vehicle has not been operated on any public highway in Colorado between the time the registration period expired, including the grace period and the time the vehicle is registered will be exempt late fees.

Road Safety Surcharge

Road Safety Surcharge is imposed on any vehicle for which a registration fee must be paid pursuant to C.R.S. 42-3-300 effective with any registration period that begins on or after July 1, 2009.

$16.00 motorcycles and vehicles that weigh 2,000 pounds or less
$23.00 vehicles that weigh between 2,001 and 5,000 pounds
$28.00 vehicles that weigh between 5,001 and 10,000 pounds
$37.00 passenger buses and vehicles that weigh between 10,001 and 16,000 pounds
$39.00 vehicles that weigh more than 16,000 pounds

Also, there is a Bridge Safety Surcharge that adds another $6.50 to $16, depending on the vehicle. The link is at http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Page&cid=1243943882310&pagename=Revenue-MV%2FRMVLayout

Bueller
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Holy suprise buttsex!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horsman
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Oh, I am tak'n care of my shit but I gotta stop collecting so many toys... thanks for the heads-up. Tired of giving them a mortgage payment worth of cash for staying legal. Time to Hack and Sack them....

macktastic brake grabber
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 08:01 PM
yea I feel the pain. I just re- reg. three trailers and my truck at the same time. my truck was one month late and my three trailers were all several months late. so I got slammed. cost me a bundle three trailers @ $20 ($209@0) ea. and $100 late fee each. I was really p.o. plus I heard that if you get pulled over and do not have a copy of your drivers license on you that they impound the car/ bike and it cost 2500 to get it out. if you dont get it out in 30 days they can sell the vehicle. it is attached to the same law. what a bunch of b.s. this state has become. I am so close to being out of here.
does anyone know anything about this b.s

MattTLS
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
So this new law is retroactive?? F*** me! Complete bull shit! I've got one bike that I 'received' in my divorce agreement that's in her name -- haven't had the title changed yet, and registration hasn't been current in many months. I wonder how this'll work out.

One thing I know, Democrat straight ticket in '10 & '12 for me ... I love to support shit with which I disagree.

Graphite675
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Having just moved here from Florida I am shocked at what the state of Colorado charges for vehicle registration. It's absolute robbery! I have 2 plated vehicles, 2 motorcycles, and a trailer. It's cost me a small fortune to get them registered here.
Unbelievable :scream1:

MikeG
Tue Jun 16th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Just one more foot in the door toward the way CA does it... Project car, whatever the case, the state makes you pay all back registration fees! Luckily, they've created a limit, for now

sprtbkbabe
Wed Jun 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Timely! I was @ the DMV today to re-new my July tags on the Suburban Assault Vehicle and was HOPING they'd not charge me the new rates... after all, it's still JUNE!

...it was just an attempt. LOL Yep, that cost me an extra $40 that I didn't plan on. Sheet, it's been steadily declining on reg fees each year... UNTIL NOW :scream1::scream1:

Now Shiniqua the racebike stays a race bike, too, since stopping tags. She's only on the street for practice starts anyways :devil2:

Jason ON
Wed Jun 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Having just moved here from Florida I am shocked at what the state of Colorado charges for vehicle registration. It's absolute robbery! I have 2 plated vehicles, 2 motorcycles, and a trailer. It's cost me a small fortune to get them registered here.
Unbelievable :scream1:

I moved here from Florida too and think the same thing every time registration comes around. It's not like the highways are in good repair or anything.

FZRguy
Wed Jun 17th, 2009, 07:05 PM
It's not like the highways are in good repair or anything.

Which is the so-called reason for the FASTER tax...er, fee. Is there anyone in CO that Ritter has not pissed off?

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Well this is weird! My boat trailer registration expired on 7/08. I didn't re-register it because I'm rebuilding the engine. Last month I got a renewal in the mail for $40. I didn't understand because there is now a penalty for not renewing and I never renewed in '08.

We sent it in just in case, expecting to be notified that we owe more, and my new sticker got here today. I even called the DMV when this thread started to verify that I would have to pay regular registration, the back registration and the new fine of $100. They said I would. I'm not complaining, though. Now, if I can get off my lazy ass and fix the boat!!!!!

dapper
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Today's a nice day for a rebuild.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i252/dapperr/DMVSB09-108latefees.jpg

DavidofColorado
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Stop being selfish. They can use that money better than you can. Don't complain about this fee. It would be a tax if they could get away with it. Don't complain about or call the govenor to complain he knew it was a bad idea and doesn't need reminded of it.

#1Townie
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 06:08 PM
yea I feel the pain. I just re- reg. three trailers and my truck at the same time. my truck was one month late and my three trailers were all several months late. so I got slammed. cost me a bundle three trailers @ $20 ($209@0) ea. and $100 late fee each. I was really p.o. plus I heard that if you get pulled over and do not have a copy of your drivers license on you that they impound the car/ bike and it cost 2500 to get it out. if you dont get it out in 30 days they can sell the vehicle. it is attached to the same law. what a bunch of b.s. this state has become. I am so close to being out of here.
does anyone know anything about this b.s

this is nothing new.. and no your car will not be imounded for not having just your id.. you must be missing you reg and insurance.. if you dont have your insurance they can tow the but most cops dont..

2500 is a way high price to get your car out of impound.. the way impound works is you have to pay the tow fees and then the storage fees.. if your car is impounded for private property parking issues then your going to deal with some real shisty mofos.. not all of them are but most are.. any thing not claimed by the owner in time will become the property of the company or the city in wich has impounded it.. the highest i ever seen a person have to pay to get their car back was around 500 bucks..

also if you have a lean on your impounded unit the bank will not allow for it to be sold. a repo company will go pick the car up then you have to pay the repo and the first tow fees..

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
If I'm not mistaken the funds go to the county clerk, department of motor vehicles, and not law enforcement. I have no problem with writing a check to the CC&R or the DMV. I do have a problem writing a check to lawyers and the court though.
In CA you were able to get a form where you swore the vehicle was not driven on public roads and was stored. As long as you didn't get a ticket for using it when you said it was stored, you were OK. This was many years ago though, so maybe things have changed since then. Might want to check if the same thing applies here. You shouldn't have to pay if it's stored.

Good luck.

DavidofColorado
Fri Jul 24th, 2009, 09:22 PM
My dad just registered a trailer that he hadn't used since 93' but he had to register it in June and got spanked for another $100.

buzzardman36
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM
If you know your vehicle/trailer/whatever is going to be off the road for over a yr or two. you have to go to the DMV and give them that plate back and tell them you want to switch it to non-highway because it's in storage. Then you won't have to pay the Reg. fees Plus you won't get dinged when you put it back on the road and re-register it for highway use. The stinking ass DMV/gov is only charging these fees because they know that the mass public is either unaware of this proceedure or too lazy/unmotivated to take care of it the buracratic way. In which case that's the way they get to chizel more money from you.

DevilsTonic
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM

You guys heard about this?Yes, the bike that Wicky took off my hands..we had to pay $300 to register the damn thing because of the late fees....since my ex didn't get it registered when he was supposed to.

Keepitgreen
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I moved here from Florida too and think the same thing every time registration comes around. It's not like the highways are in good repair or anything.

Exactly..
That is why I will do like I did last time I lived there for 2 yrs. I renew my TX plates through the mail.
Tell the cops I'm on vacation here in Denver so mail the info to a friends house and tell the TX people I'm on business and don't want to get popped when I cross the state line.
They send the new sticker to me up here..
The Jetta is about 65-70 bucks a yr and the bike is about 45 bucks.. Same as when taken off the lot..

This tax thing on vehicles is crazy as I might hit the same pothole everyday. Where does all the money go from all the fancy cars out there? The taxes on those should be pretty high, right?

Hell, I don't know.. That's what I do though..

Keepitgreen
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Stop being selfish. They can use that money better than you can. .

And here I thought I could spend the money on a couple of twins that would do anything after a bottle of vodka..
I really can't think of a better use though. Hell, I'm just furthering their education and one may save the world or something..
My money stays with the twins..:drink:

TurboGizzmo
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM
i was two days into july after my temp expired....popped with fine but it was doubled and no one could figure out why, took them 20mins to figure it all out (they wouldnt let me help with the computer for some reason :) )

then the bridge and road fees blah gone are the days of buying a cheapy car and paying $25 to reg it.

DavidofColorado
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Take that petition and hang out at the DMV for a while. I bet you'll get enough signatures then. Bring a lot of paper cause it may fill up quickly.

MikeG
Sat Jul 25th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Here it is!

http://www.cotaxreform.com/