PDA

View Full Version : V-Twin Mileage

YllwVTR
Mon Feb 21st, 2005, 09:21 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on 17k miles on a honda Superhawk. Found a guy who is selling one with this mileage. Says its mint. I have always had a bike with under 10k miles, I just don't ride that far. I must have abused my bike or something because my bikes seemed to need a lot of work and I never made it close to this mileage. 17k on a 2000 VTR seems really high to me. Any opinions on getting a bike with this kind of mileage? Dangers? Pitfalls? Seems high but I have no mechanical reason to think this is unacceptable. I would also think a Honda engine could go for quite a while, but I base that on rumor and folklore. Thanks

Anonymous
Mon Feb 21st, 2005, 09:40 PM
17k ain't shit! This bike will do 100k without sweating. If it's close to Denver I'd be happy to take a look at it with you though, I know this bike very well.

Sparker
Mon Feb 21st, 2005, 09:58 PM
shit, thats just breaking it in. vtwins normally run longer than an inline depending on maintance and such. i had 500 shy of 30k on my TL and it was still running great. go for it.

COGIXX
Mon Feb 21st, 2005, 09:59 PM
I would also think a Honda engine could go for quite a while, but I base that on rumor and folklore. Thanks

Thats less than 5000 miles per season on that particular engine... which isn't squat! That VTR is a strong bike... My brother back east has over 45k on his 2001, and still runs like a top!

On the flip side, I personally have a 2002 Honda VTX 1800, that I ABUSE!! Bought it new and have put almost 30k on it since March of 2002. A very good friend has the similar bike, bought it in April of 2001, and presently has 68k on it... the bike has been cross country 4 times!

As for the VTR's potential... no problem! Take Ralph up on his offer to check it out tho...

~Barn~
Mon Feb 21st, 2005, 10:30 PM
17 thousand?

:lol:

I should have 17 thousand before I have to renew my plates for the first year.

If dude kept it well maintained, 17k is nothing. You'll be fine! :up:

Mista Black
Mon Feb 21st, 2005, 11:55 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on 17k miles on a honda Superhawk. Found a guy who is selling one with this mileage. Says its mint. I have always had a bike with under 10k miles, I just don't ride that far. I must have abused my bike or something because my bikes seemed to need a lot of work and I never made it close to this mileage. 17k on a 2000 VTR seems really high to me. Any opinions on getting a bike with this kind of mileage? Dangers? Pitfalls? Seems high but I have no mechanical reason to think this is unacceptable. I would also think a Honda engine could go for quite a while, but I base that on rumor and folklore. Thanks

i know people who've bought beemers with over 100K on them... it depends on how the bikes been treated and maintained. i agree with ralph: 17k is nothing. it's hardly broke in yet.

Stuart Little
Tue Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:53 AM
muahah take care of it and it'll last into 2020's, it's all about previous owner care, my v-twin has only 23,000 and 6,000 of which I added last season, it's an 82, so less than 1k a year from previous owner/ it sat around and then was rebuilt and still runs like a champ

Mista Black
Tue Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:02 AM
muahah take care of it and it'll last into 2020's<snipidy snip snip>

muahah into the 2020's?? i know guys that put on 100k a year and that aint "Little" :lol:

~Barn~
Tue Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:07 AM
To ride 100,000 in a year, you would have to *average* 274 miles for each of the 365 days...

And you're saying you know "guys"... plural, that do this?

I'd like to meet just one of them. I find this rather kinda hard to believe.

Mista Black
Tue Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:15 AM
there was a woman who won the BMW milage contest a few years ago (voni glaves) who did something like 75,000 in 6 months (Here's a link (http://www.mindspring.com/~p_vglaves/voni.htm)). she averaged 526 miles a day all summer long that year (1999).

the record is over 100k in the 6 months of the contest.

now admittedly the guy with over 100k in 6 months basically had a set route he did every single day after work plus long rides on the weekend but his only goal was to get over 100k in that years contest.

my dad is not concidered to be one of the "high milers" in the BMW crowd but runs a very respectable 70 to 80k a year and has for the past several years. you're welcome to meet him next time you're down this way.

~Barn~
Tue Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:22 AM
OKay, so it's a thing where people have done this in a record setting type context.... Now I gotcha.

Incidently, I know a guy who can hold his breath underwater for like 9 minutes. ;)

Mista Black
Tue Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:27 AM
not necessarily... Voni just rides a lot. that's the only year she's won the contest (or even tried - and there is no prize or any kind for winning that particular contest). she just rides a lot.

my dad and i sometimes decide we want a steak so we'll go to south texas for a steak. we've done as many as 2500 miles (in a weekend - and it was damn good BBQ!!) for lunch before and we're not alone :lol:

~Barn~
Tue Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:36 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong Jeff. I'm not saying that I don't believe in people who ride like crazy (such as your dad); And obviously the ocassional 2000+ weekender is impressive.

It's just a far cry from somebody who rides 100,000 miles in a year, as casualy as the way in which you stated it, that's all.

"muahah into the 2020's?? i know guys that put on 100k a year <snip...>"

Mista Black
Tue Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:39 AM
well yeah, we are dealing with less than 1% of the crowd certainly, but there are several out there who routinely rack up the miles and it's mostly just from getting a whim and going someplace. kinda like Nickninja's Laguna Seca via Canada run he (and others) are doing this summer.

YllwVTR
Tue Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:24 PM
The advice makes me feel much more comfortable. I went and saw the bike tonight and there is a small crack in one of the fairing and some scratches on the right mirror, hand brake, and oil case cover. These are very minimal. I am still thinking about whether to puruse this or not. Don't want to waste Ralph's time. But if I get serious about this one I may see if I can get you to come out and see it as that would really help me assess the bike properly. thanks for all the advice and help.