PDA

View Full Version : A Life in Europe

Mister BOYD
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 09:11 AM
My company is finally going through the motions of layoffs. Pending getting re-hired and how much time I take on a mandatory vacation, should I draw a short straw, I am thinking about moving to Europe for a couple of years. I'm almost fluent in spanish and was thinking England or Spain. Has anybody ever done something like this or known someone who has? What advice can you guys offer for making such a move?

asp_125
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I would say if you're not tied down here, go for it! Not many get a chance for an extended experience like this. Spain would have better (longer) riding seasons. Follow the MotoGP circus a while.

Mister BOYD
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Lol.. I have plenty to tie me down (mortg, 2 vehicle payments to name a few) but, should I lose some of those things I really want to experience that. I don't have a sig. other tieing me down, my closest friends will be here for me when I come back, so I'm seriously considering it. Definitely leaning towards Spain. Great food, rich culture, beautiful people and country side!

Sean
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I haven't worked abroad, but I've been to Spain a couple times. I really enjoyed Andalusia. I know the unemployment rate can get pretty high, so def try to set something up before you get there. From my understanding (don't take this as gospel); bigger, more international companies are okay with hiring foreigners. But smaller, local places def shy away from it. Good Luck! I'm hoping to go over to Germany in a few years after school is done.

zetaetatheta
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I lived in Southern Spain (Andalusia), Rota to be exact, for 4 years thanks to Uncle Sam, and I would go back in a heartbeat. The culture, weather, water, history, food, beautiful women, and riding are great and Jerez is very close for MotoGP. Close by is Gibralter and Morocco just to mix it up. I traveled Europe extensively and my favorites were Greece (lived there 1.5 years), Italy, and Spain. Seriously considering storing a bike in Germany for summer riding. Just do it till the money runs out, you'll be glad you did.

kawasakirob
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Man it would be great to catch a GP somewhere over there

MetaLord 9
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I love London & Bath is a pretty decent town too if you're looking England. Just remember that their riding season is very much shorter than ours! Also, you might want where you live to depend on what kind of job you can get. If you can get a better job in Spain than England, then that's your decision. I think pretty much wherever you go, the job issue is gonna be the tough one. I really would love to live in England or Europe personally. Good luck mang!

Mister BOYD
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Those are all good points. Especially the riding! Hey.. I could actually survive as an Architect over there. Andalusia was definitely one of the regions i was considering. Catalunia where they speak heavy castillian (ie - around Sevilla) would be hard to adjust because that accent is really heavy and would be hard to pick up. London and Bath.. will look into those. Definitely need to consider the economies in other countries. I admire the Europeans because they live life completely different. Public transit is more acceptable than owning a car in many countries. Relationship dynamics/goals/needs between friends and lovers are completely different. Debt doesn't really exist the way it does here in the states. I really want to be exposed to that lifestyle once in my life and figure if I lose almost everything because people are retarded and screw up the economies of the world, then what have I to lose?
It will be months and months before I know where this is going, but it's never too soon to start planning. I figure.. it's never too late to change what your doing with your life and human nature tends to close your mind to the now and here. Losing a job or possessions doesn't condemn you in life unless you want it to. I refuse to sit around an let people or myself ruin the time I have in life.

Wintermute
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.drugpolicy.org/global/drugpolicyby/westerneurop/spain/ + warm climate + gorgeous beaches and women + twisty mountain road = win

Just not all at the same time.

asp_125
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I worked abroad briefly and the Euro's appreciation for social life and general outlook was so refreshing, compared to workaholic Americans. +1 I'm a sucker for a girl with a foreign accent. ;) Better learn to drink "warm" beer though, in England, and learn to live without A/C.

Mister BOYD
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Warm beer with no AC? At least it will be good beer and I'm willing to sacrafice AC for a beautiful woman with an accent and a decent head on her shoulders! From what I hear.. all teh ladies ova there are in great shape! Hell.. I may have to take what's left of my 401K and go over there for a couple weeks just because!

Devaclis
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Greece or Austria. I have my reasons.

salsashark
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I looked into Australia & New Zealand when I got out of college and the one thing that kept popping up is that in order to get a work visa you have to have a job lined up. They didn't want people showing up, then trying to find work. I don't know how Europe deals with this, but it's something to look into.

asp_125
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM
That's another reason to find a multinational company ... they usually have the work visa thing figured out.

Pharmgirl
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Just flew out of Madrid this morning, would choose Barcelona over it anyday. And they speak Catalan, not Castillan with an accent. Plus the MotoGP at Montmelo was a great time. Lisbon is pretty awesome too and they speak more English than you would think.

Violator
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Sweden, Finland or Norway - same climat

Troy.N
Thu Jun 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Warm beer with no AC? At least it will be good beer and I'm willing to sacrafice AC for a beautiful woman with an accent and a decent head on her shoulders! From what I hear.. all teh ladies ova there are in great shape! Hell.. I may have to take what's left of my 401K and go over there for a couple weeks just because!

I live in London for almost 10 yrs. If you like the cloudy days and rain... go for it. Forget Spain or England it sucks bad... other than good food.

Move to south of France called "Saint Tropez" it's beautiful. There is nothing like it, I've been there few time for a vacation. All you need is a scooter and a Big Boat, and your good to go. I'm actually moving there next year after my contract.