PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted!

Polumbian
Fri Jul 11th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Well the Duk has been parked for a while. Need a few parts, and due to the Italian holiday, nothing will be comming from Ducati for at least a month. No big deal, I have a few plans in store anyway... Just looks like I will be starting before the end of the season as originally planned.

So here's my delima though, since my Duc has been my primary mode of transportation, the necessity of parts leaves me sharing a car with my wife (that won't last long).

So I bought another bike. An '83 Yamaha 400 cruiser. I got a great deal from a friend who bought it new and has only put 9,000 miles on it. Athough, the bike hasn't been started in a couple years and was left with gas in the tank.

My question is (request for help because of my admitted lack of knowledge and experience wrenching on bikes); what do I need to do to get this thing going? My friend thinks I can just remove the tank and clean the line from the tank to the fuel pump with some carburator cleaner. He thinks by doing that, and just running some good gas it should be fine...???

Anyway, (a novel later) I would appreciate any quick advise. I would like to try to get her going asap. OR, Is anyone available over the next few days, preferably Saturday night or Sunday and interrested in helping? The bike is in Northglenn, and I'm in Centennial so if you need me to pick you up, etc. no problem.

Thanks, Walker
720-436-1427

Anonymous
Sat Jul 12th, 2003, 12:02 AM
Just make sure you get all of the old gas out. If you're lucky the jets aren't gunked up, if they're bad the carbs will need to be taken apart and cleaned. Not a huge deal, just buy the service manual beforehand in case you forget where "that screw" goes. :)

Replace the petcock gaskets and all fuel lines (basically anything rubber that has anything to do with fuel) while you're at it. Put fresh in, see what happens. If you can get it running, a little at a time spray some carb cleaner into the intake(s) of the carb(s) to help get the rest of the gunk out.

also change the oil, and check the plugs, they may need to be replaced. Change all the other fluids. That should be it!

Polumbian
Sat Jul 19th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Back on two wheels again! I finally got her going today. Did everything as recommended. Started with a new battery. Checked the plugs. Looked inside the tank. Looked at the carbs through the intakes. Everything was sparkly clean.

Was working on it with my friend and he started to remember that he had actually drained everything and cleaned it before he parked it last. Thought it was going to be simple. Changed the fluids, and tried.... But no. So over the last week we took everything apart (twice). Rebuilt the carbs. Nothing, nothing, nothing. So just before we kicked the dam thing we called in another friend. He pulls the plugs first, checks the firing (as we did), but he did it a little different and notices that one of the plugs is firing sideways (had a teeny tiny crack). Replaced the plugs, and BAM! Works like a new bike!!!

Always the little things! Damn that was frustrating. I was having dreams of taking that thing apart and putting it back together. :lol: