PDA

View Full Version : what car should i buy.. im getting 20gs in 6 months

michaelawsome
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
i would like to hear what you guys think a good car is for 20 thhousand

Zach929rr
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Buy a $2,000 piece of shit and invest/save the rest of it wisely.

thatmofo
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Used Evo hands down

Hi11Zone
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:12 AM
geez share the wealth. If u don't use a car alot or want to race it buy a pos and invest like zach said!

Tipys
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Buy a $2,000 piece of shit and invest/save the rest of it wisely.

Best advice right here. Trust me I am only 20 and about 45k in debt. Having bills suck. Save it for a raining day.

EVO8
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I'll sell you my used EVO for 20G's.

Tipys
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:22 AM
^^^^Your used Evo isn't worth 20k

Zach929rr
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I'll sell you my used EVO for 20G's.

facepalm

Edit: hi-five Trevor.

thatmofo
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:28 AM
^^^^Your used Evo isn't worth 20k

Unless it's modded like crazy.

Zach929rr
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Or you could by a $7000 Talon that would pace a moderately modded Evo.

Tipys
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Unless it's modded like crazy.

Mod's do not up the value of your car.

willb003
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:55 AM
So what did you do to get 20 grand in 6 months?

BlueDog
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Looks like he is 17 now, so maybe he is turning 18 in a few months and will gain access to a trust. 6k bike and 4k to make it look good? What are you planning to spend 4 grand on?

thatmofo
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Mod's do not up the value of your car.

To the right buyer they do. I would pay $20K for a 700 hp Evo.

willb003
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Do you plan on going to school?

Aracheon
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Hyundai Genesis.

BHeth
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 07:08 AM
yeaa thats truee im tryin to figure it out.. i was thinkin about buyin a 6g bike and spending 4gs on making it look real nice and then just like a car for 5 thousand and keeping some

Don't be a dumbass kid. Invest that shit. Find a high dividend yielding blue chip and forget about it. Get a job if you need a cheap car.

pauliep
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM
sounds like the enlistment bonus from the Army...

vmax2003
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 07:26 AM
ill sell you my 2003 eclipse for 8k....lol

GixxerCarrie
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Micheal...Given your age..I'd pick something that isn't going to jack up your insurance. The last thing you need is another toy thats going to get you tickets. Given the ecomomy and how many Dealers are closing..you should be able to find a great deal on whatever you want. Personally I'm a 4 wheel drive girl..I got a Jeep Wrangler at your age and loved it!

Devaclis
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Do you need a car? Do you have one right now that does gets you where you need to go?

I would take 1 dollar of that $20k and get it changed into 100 pennies.

Take 2 of those pennies and put them in your left front pocket.

Now, this is important, wait. Wait for a day or a week, or a month. Whatever it takes for that common cents you now have to kick in. What does it tell you?

Does it tell you not to advertise on a public forum that you are getting $20k soon?

Cool, go back and delete all of your posts in this thread, take your newly discovered common cents, and do something intelligent with it.

vmax2003
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Do you need a car? Do you have one right now that does gets you where you need to go?

Now, this is important, wait. Wait for a day or a week, or a month. Whatever it takes for that common cents you now have to kick in. What does it tell you?

Does it tell you not to advertise on a public forum that you are getting $20k soon?

Cool, go back and delete all of your posts in this thread, take your newly discovered common cents, and do something intelligent with it.

+1 Dana....lol

GixxerCarrie
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 08:07 AM

I was thinkin that but taking the nicer approach Dana...but :imwithstupid:

Devaclis
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 08:10 AM
If you ever catch me taking the nicer approach, be mean to met and set me straight.

Mister BOYD
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Lol.. +1 Dana. Mikey, Don't waste $ on mods. If you have a bike, keep it, don't get a new one. If you have a car, Keep it, don't get a new one. You might be better off to save that Lump of cashola for a down payment on a mortgage when you buy your first home. Make sure you will get your money back out of what ever you invest it in buddy. It's easy to burn through money and over extend yourself with your finances. <ENTER A SHIT HOUSE SCREWED UP ECONOMY RESULTING FROM IRRISPONSIBLE PEOPLE AND ORGANIZATIONS>. Prove it to yourself that your better than the rest of the idiots out there messing around with their 401Ks and losing financed possessions and Save your $$ to invest intellegently later!

asp_125
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM
A lot of folks say oh you're young, live now and worry about saving for retirement when you're 30, or 40 or later. Sure, take a bit of it and treat yourself to a little luxury, but invest the bulk of it. Even with simple compound interest your $20Gs will turn into a tidy little down payment for a house in 5-10 years.

Mister BOYD
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 08:38 AM
A lot of folks say oh you're young, live now and worry about saving for retirement when you're 30, or 40 or later. Sure, take a bit of it and treat yourself to a little luxury, but invest the bulk of it. Even with simple compound interest your $20Gs will turn into a tidy little down payment for a house in 5-10 years.

+1, point is don't over indulge. When you want to buy your first house, you'll be glad you didn't.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM

SMACK!

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 08:55 AM
What dana said...that's some of the best advice i've ever heard. Keep $1,000 (this should buy you a bunch of toys) and put the rest away.

fook
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 09:02 AM
forget all that sage advice, I've got an '00 toyota tundra.. thing cost me 32k but i'll let it go for 10k!! only has about 180k miles on the engine, this way you have something to haul the 4k worth pieces you plan to bolt onto that 6k bike you're gonna buy and then you can just apply for credit cards to get whatever else you need... !

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Here's an idea to help you resist the temptation to splurge: get the $20K in cash so you can look at it, run your fingers through it, etc. On day 1, take one penny of it and put it in a savings account. On day 2, put two pennies in savings. On day 3, put four pennies in savings. On day 4, put eight pennies in savings.

Make a pact with yourself that you'll do this penny doubling for three weeks before you spend anything to avoid impulse buys. Spend the three weeks looking at cars and bikes you'd like to have, to make sure you know what you really want. At the end of the three weeks, what isn't in savings is yours to spend however you like.

Dirk

sugarrey
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I agree....especially now why waste cash on a investment that will net a huge loss. Buy something that will appreciate, and we all know what that is or save that shit. Screw the car.

Captain Obvious
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Make a pact with yourself that you'll do this penny doubling for three weeks before you spend anything to avoid impulse buys.

This is bullshit!! Don't do it! He is trying to screw you! You will end up owing money! :)

A fool and his money are soon parted. Thomas Tusser

UglykidJoe
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Here's an idea to help you resist the temptation to splurge: get the $20K in cash so you can look at it, run your fingers through it, etc. On day 1, take one penny of it and put it in a savings account. On day 2, put two pennies in savings. On day 3, put four pennies in savings. On day 4, put eight pennies in savings.

Make a pact with yourself that you'll do this penny doubling for three weeks before you spend anything to avoid impulse buys. Spend the three weeks looking at cars and bikes you'd like to have, to make sure you know what you really want. At the end of the three weeks, what isn't in savings is yours to spend however you like.

Dirk

There's some higher math involved with this that probably would hurt my head should I attempt it. So I am just gonna agree and say +1

salsashark
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
There's some higher math involved with this that probably would hurt my head should I attempt it. So I am just gonna agree and say +1

Higher math?! :wtf: $20,971.51

Micheal...

You're young and probably won't listen to any of this so do what you want.

Cars/motorcycles/toys... they all depreciate. Try spending that money on something important like school.

It's been said on here already, you've got a bike, enjoy it. You've got a cage, keep it. Go out have a nice dinner and throw the rest of the money in savings/investments and use it to do something that will actually benefit you in the long run other than increase your insurance rates.

asp_125
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Save the $19K.. take out $1K, go to Vegas. Oh wait, you're underage.. gimme the $1k I'll go to Vegas.

rforsythe
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 10:52 AM
My advice, hang onto it. Put it in something that earns interest. Buy a cheapo car for now if you must. At some point when life throws you a curve ball (job layoffs, big medical bill, g/f knocked up, etc) you will be glad you have some reserve instead of being like all these other assholes that just go into "borrow and default on it" mode.

I wish I had known then what I know now, because I wouldn't still be paying off the money I had to borrow to get me through a couple of those curve balls earlier in life by spending some quick cash on toys instead of avoiding my urge to impulse buy.

Zanos
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM
LET HIM BRAG. LET HIM BRAG.

Thats really the only reasaon for the post.

Devaclis
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM
If you do not spend every dime of this money on crack and Mad Magazine you are a fool. ok, maybe some Pop Rocks and wax lips would be fun too. But that's IT!!!

Airreed
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Here's a couple of ideas since your 17:

1. Throw a massive CSC party!
2. Rent out HPR for the CSC.
3. College isn't free...

Captain Obvious
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
on the other hand,, i am still young and every penny i get it has to be spent

Why, are you Montgomery Brewster? You only have 20k, not 30 million.

Sean
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Buy a pickup truck for 5k (-8k). You'll need it because you are going to move 100 times before you get out. Make sure the bike is paid off. Take 10k and put it in the bank. You don't need it now, but you might once you get out. After you're out, you can buy a newer car, house or go on vacation for six months. Since you are young, take the extra cash (2k) and have some fun. Maybe buy a book on grammar and spelling? :lol:

drago52
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
If you don't own a car, just get a used, fuel-efficient car to get you around for less than $8k, then spend another $5-8k on a used motorcycle that you're psyched on. Don't spend any of the money to finance a car or motorcycle. Invest the rest. You'll never buy a car that will outperform any sportbike, so why waste a ton of money on a car that is slow and is burying you in debt?

I bought a 2002 subaru forester for $5k. fuel-efficient, carries a bunch of stuff, awd for snow, reliable. yeah, it's not sexy, but even if I bought a porsche 911, I'd still get smoked by some 600 sportbike.

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Maybe buy a book on grammer and spelling? :lol:

Be sure to borrow it from him. :)

Dirk

bulldog
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Use it for a down payment on a house. I did this at 20 and it was the best decision of my life.....I almost used it to buy a new bike though, but got smart at the last minute.

Airreed
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I'm in the military and I thought enlistment bonus's only paid out after you graduated Basic and AIT......after taxes you are going to be closer to $15K....

GregsGSXR
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Subaru WRX STI.... they are really nice cars.... last a long time

Airreed
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
What MOS are you going to be? Don't say 18XXX no one joins as an operator. What group are you going to be assigned to?

Devaclis
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Now you are just asking for a blanket party, Jason. Don't ask too many questions.

Violator
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Infinity FX35?

t_jolt
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 02:05 PM
im in special forces its a bit different thats why iits taken 6 months cuz i have to finish basic

im not trying to be a hater, but you dont freshly join in a sf unit. What branch?

Tyrel

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 02:14 PM
yeaa thats truee im tryin to figure it out.. i was thinkin about buyin a 6g bike and spending 4gs on making it look real nice and then just like a car for 5 thousand and keeping some

whats wrong with the bike you currently have

Troy.N
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
spend it ALLLLLL. Your still young, money comes and goes so live like a rock star for once.

Enjoy it while it last, and No Regrets:)

Troy.N
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 02:47 PM
yes i no my spelling is horrible thanks for the 200th person for pointing this out

you can buy yourself a 20k worth of "Hooked-on-Phonics".

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM
kinda not really supost to talk about what im doin. and its called scoring very well. but yea alls i wanted to no was what car i should get.. not a life lesson on what i should do with it. but thanks for all the input.

they must not score on spelling and grammar then. :)

~Barn~
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Give it to me, and let's fly to Vegas.

I'll turn it into ~53-58k, and after my nominal cut, you can repost a new thread, on what kind of car to blow $40,000 on.

:up:

michaelawsome
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM
lol its the asvab you dont really have to spell anything haha

Airreed
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
michaelawsomeRe: what car should i buy.. im getting 20gs in 6 months
kinda not really supost to talk about what im doin. and its called scoring very well. but yea alls i wanted to no was what car i should get.. not a life lesson on what i should do with it. but thanks for all the input.

Ok, now I'm going to call Bull-Shit...you can't talk about your MOS...18 series there's no OPSEC with stating your job title is. Here's mine 31A.
All you need is a GT Score of 110 to qualify for the MOS, but maybe you are going to be a Delta Operator!!!! Good luck tonight playing SOCCOM, I hope you get to the next level.

Sean
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM
but yea alls i wanted to no was what car i should get.. not a life lesson on what i should do with it. but thanks for all the input.You are 100% correct, that's all you asked for. But wouldn't some explanation be necessary? Buy car X, because...? If someone only suggested that you buy a $5k truck and didn't say anything else, you might wonder why. It appears that many of the people on this board would choose to buy something cheaper and use the money elsewhere. Thus giving you their own justification for that decision. So in a way, I think you are getting the answers you asked for. Maybe, with more detail than you were desiring. :dunno: Good Luck with your choice.

zetaetatheta
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'd buy a good used Wrangler 2003/04 for 8k, the jeep will depreciate a lot less than many cars, maybe none at all and lots of nice places in Colorado to jeep. Then a good used dual sport say 400cc for 2K, a nice sport-bike for 7K, and a great trip to Thailand (long time or short time). You're young--have fun and never look back. Having paid for vehicles is very nice for a young person, can save you enough in insurance, and monthly payments to buy a small house if you choose to do so.

Now if you are married or plan to do so soon--buy a house!

Troy.N
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Ok, now I'm going to call Bull-Shit...you can't talk about your MOS...18 series there's no OPSEC with stating your job title is. Here's mine 31A.
All you need is a GT Score of 110 to qualify for the MOS, but maybe you are going to be a Delta Operator!!!! Good luck tonight playing SOCCOM, I hope you get to the next level.

Soccom I, Soccom II, Soccom III. lmao

R6Blake101
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Frostfire is the BUM.

~Barn~
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:30 PM
:spit:

You are one of my favorite model Americans, Jason.

michaelawsome
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM
oo yeaa socomm lol this is just great fun how i ask about what kind of car i should get and it turns up bullshit lol

Airreed
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I know I don't know what I'm talking about...ten years in the US Army, currently command a Military Police Company. A TS security clearance. Deployment to Bosnia and two to Iraq...and two Bronze Stars....yes I don't know what I'm talking about!

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
oo yeaa socomm lol this is just great fun how i ask about what kind of car i should get and it turns up bullshit lol

i dont think anyone here will argue with you that this thread turned up bullshit :lol:

Troy.N
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Desert Glory :sniper:

JohnEffinK
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM
thanks for your ass hole input airreed.. you have no clue what im doing. but thats cool call bullshit

:spit:

Buy whatever car cranks you. Be happy.

John

Zach929rr
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:50 PM
We only tell you these things because (in my case anyway) if we would have gotten a nice piece of pay at that age, we would have saved and invested knowing what we do now.

Or, we would have blown it on coke and hookers in Vegas. Meh.

sugarrey
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM
We only tell you these things because (in my case anyway) if we would have gotten a nice piece of pay at that age, we would have saved and invested knowing what we do now.

Amen to that Z.

JohnEffinK
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Or save it, let it grow and compound, get married, have it become community property of the marriage, and lose half in the divorce.

Now THAT is my kind of par-tay. :banghead:

John

Troy.N
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Exactly.
Fucking gold digger.

buzzardman36
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Forget the car. Your young so money will come and go. So go out, get some new clothes, and Piss the rest away on a weekend rock star life style of stripper/hookers and Booze. Twenty years from now a story of smart financial investing won't be nearly as fun as the story about this one week where you pissed off 20 grand on booze and hookers with your closest pals. Now, if you take this advice, I must insist that you invite me to the party. :cool:

~Barn~
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I'd pay cover to get into that party.

MikeG
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
That's $20,000 in Jr. bacon cheezburgers... very wise investment.
Do whatever you want with it, after all its yours

Zach929rr
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
That's $20,000 in Jr. bacon cheezburgers... very wise investment.
Do whatever you want with it, after all its yours

http://smallbiztrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/3conomics.jpg

michaelawsome
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
ha.. that would be a shit load of burgers!! prolly fill a room

Think
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I know I don't know what I'm talking about...ten years in the US Army, currently command a Military Police Company. A TS security clearance. Deployment to Bosnia and two to Iraq...and two Bronze Stars....yes I don't know what I'm talking about!
Pwwwnt.

I'd say more, but it ain't worth it.

Tipys
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hey I got to call bullshit too. Now I am not Army but I know some simple facts. Like you can't get recuited for sf untill after basic then you go to sf if you drop out of there program you go back to doing your normal job that you signed up for. My bet is army infantry. And tell me I am full of shit do it. I will pull this shit up in writing. I have looked into every brach of the SF.

Also I would think you would be getting more of a sign on bonus if you really were going SF right out the gate and can't talk about it because you got really high test scores. But no your getting the same sign in bonus everyone else gets.

GixxerCarrie
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Wasnt it you who was looking for a leather under $100 and were bitchin about your freezin hands on the Memorial Day Ride Mr. Florida? LOL.....We've all wasted away our money...but at least have something to show for it when its all said and done so you don't feel like a complete idiot. All I got to say is this is Colorado not FL...so get ready for winter all/wheel or 4 wheel. Good deals on used vehicles....then I say go on a kickass vacation and save the rest. I bought a used Denali 05 last year for a hell of a deal. Thanks to Jim Wilson's friend Chad who works at GO GMC. By no means am I bitching at you...just tryin to be helpful and give you advice. I'm an accountant...just don't blow it all. You have worked for it~

michaelawsome
Fri Jun 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM
yea i no.. thats why i want a car. but for some reason this turned into bitchin at me about how im just wasting my money or somethin, i dontnooo

Think
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 01:20 AM
yea i no.. thats why i want a car. but for some reason this turned into bitchin at me about how im just wasting my money or somethin, i dontnooo
And that's why people are telling you to get a used car and save the rest of the money. Cars are terrrrible investments.

Ok, so I lied, I'm going to say something about what you were saying with regards to SF. It's damn near offensive to be saying you're definitely going to be in SF right after basic. It takes years and years to get to the SF level, there is no short cut. In fact I'm pretty sure you have to go through ranger school before doing anything SF related also. Stating that you're going SF right after basic is nothing but a lie. I don't care how awesome your ASVAB score was, that will not get you a straight shot into SF. (Someone, other than Michael, correct me if I'm wrong on any of the statements I have just made.)

MikeG
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Cars are terrrrible investments
Ok, correction
cars are not investments

Not for the 20K range

sugarrey
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM
This thread has failed!

michaelawsome
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
lol guys..I JUST WANTED TO SEE WHAT KIND OF CAR I SHOULD GET. NOONE EVER SAID I WAS GOING TO SPEND THE WHOLE AMOUNT ON IT. AND I NO THERE IS SCHOOL THAT YOU HAVE TO GO TO.. WHO SAID I WASNT DOING THAT.. AND WHY DO YOU THINK ITS IN 6 MONTHS.. BECAUSE I HAVE TO FINISH BASIC.

BeoBe
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM
all kinda depends if your looking for a car or something else, i personally think trucks are very handy but i have fallen in love with my jeep!

sugarrey
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I have said my piece as far as being a diminishing investment, but as far as a vehicle..I've had mustangs, camaros, infinitis, bmw's and all that good stuff....but I cannot tell you how many times I have needed a TRUCK. I was looking at the ford explorer sport-trac. It is like an suv and a truck in one, they look nice and are different. There isnt too many of them around either which is nice. Its function-able, sporty and fun to drive (2 or 4 wheel drive).

Troy.N
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 12:18 PM
lol guys..I JUST WANTED TO SEE WHAT KIND OF CAR I SHOULD GET. NOONE EVER SAID I WAS GOING TO SPEND THE WHOLE AMOUNT ON IT. AND I NO THERE IS SCHOOL THAT YOU HAVE TO GO TO.. WHO SAID I WASNT DOING THAT.. AND WHY DO YOU THINK ITS IN 6 MONTHS.. BECAUSE I HAVE TO FINISH BASIC.

Ah so you need to past the basic 1st.... and if u didnt past? so no 20k for you.

BeoBe
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 12:31 PM
nevermind

kawasakirob
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 01:48 PM
A pimped out van

michaelawsome
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 02:06 PM
hah thata be cool yea im going to look at trucks .. kinda need somethin thats 4x4 up here

Zach929rr
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Just grab an XJ with some work done on it and call it good.

BeoBe
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 04:41 PM
i love my wj!

BlueDog
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Pink Miata

The Black Knight
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Pink Miata
not a good investment

Filo
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I was in the Special Forces. I drove a 1976 Chrysler Cordoba. That is the car you should get. These days you can get a good one for $1000. Who needs more car when you know how to kill three men at once with a single banana? Take the rest of the money and invest it.

You can see the exact car here: http://daveandthomas.net/blog/2009/01/15/sad-ricardo-montalban-passes-away/

(Note, that is Ricardo Montalban in front of the car, not my bad ass self)

rforsythe
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 08:42 PM
The guy pitching in that picture looks kinda like Dana...

derekm
Sun Jun 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
Didnt read through thread, but is anyone thinking about "capitalizing" on the cash for clunkers govt. coupon?

Stuart Little
Sun Jun 21st, 2009, 02:29 PM
The guy pitching in that picture looks kinda like Dana...

...That is Dana... so of course it looks like him :D

bulldog
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:22 AM
lol guys..I JUST WANTED TO SEE WHAT KIND OF CAR I SHOULD GET. NOONE EVER SAID I WAS GOING TO SPEND THE WHOLE AMOUNT ON IT. AND I NO THERE IS SCHOOL THAT YOU HAVE TO GO TO.. WHO SAID I WASNT DOING THAT.. AND WHY DO YOU THINK ITS IN 6 MONTHS.. BECAUSE I HAVE TO FINISH BASIC. I would get a used Lancer Evolution, WRX, or WRX STI.

kawasakirob
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Get a bicycle and save the enviornment man!

Think
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
Obviously you have to finish basic, but there is absolutely no guarantee you will get through ranger school or any of the SF stuff. The thing that is irritating is you claimed you are already SF.

im in special forces its a bit different thats why iits taken 6 months cuz i have to finish basic."Please, as a respect to all those who have died to protect us, do not claim you are something you are not, especially when it's on an elite level like SF.

But good luck, I do respect you in going into the service.

michaelawsome
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
no i dont claim i am.. im sorry if i have it seem like that.. i did get alittle over my head..

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Buy a used Yugo and give the rest to me......

~Barn~
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Buy a used Yugo and give the rest to me......

Damn charity-case Liberals.

:D

What'up Frank.... Good luck on your jobs back here in CO!

kawasakirob
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
Buy a dildo

Think
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:07 PM
Buy a dildo
Used.

willb003
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Used.

from a guy.

Ceez
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:02 AM
from a guy.

..with teeth marks on it.

I have a friend in Wyoming who is selling a 93 Honda Accord with only 43k miles on it for only 3kobo. That car will last you forever if you take care of it. Save the rest and buy a house.

Filo
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
I have a friend in Wyoming who is selling a 93 Honda Accord with only 43k miles on it for only 3kobo. That car will last you forever if you take care of it. Save the rest and buy a house.

That is a good deal (assuming the car is OK). I had a '91 that made it 250K miles before I sold it. Never did anything but maintenance on that car. Best purchase ever.

McVaaahhh
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Spend it on cocaine and hookers. :D

There are a shit-ton of choices for used cars under $20k so you're going to have to be more specific. What do you like? Sports cars, suv's, trucks, classic muscle, what?

Based on what very little I know about you, here's what I'd do if I was in your situation.

Pay off any debts you have first.
You've already got a bike right? If it's not paid off, than do that that.
If you own the bike free and clear and want to spend a grand or two to upgrade it, do that. Don't waste $4k on mods. That's just stupid.

For a vehicle I, personally, would buy a 10 year old 4wd import pickup like a Tacoma for ~$6,000 like this one: http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/1231100122.html

Then take what you have left and put it away. Being in debt sucks balls big time and there are many, many people that will tell you that. You're in the military and don't really need a lot of your own money so save whatever you can so when you get out you can enjoy the finer things in life and not be buried under bills.

The reason you're getting the advice you're getting about what to do with your $20k is that if you make bad financial decisions now they will haunt you for a long, long time. Many of us know this first hand and wish we would've gotten and/or taken the advice we're dishing out now when we had the chance.

Devaclis
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
I was searching for pics of myself on the internet and came upon this thread. Really, I did, I need to clean my monitor now.

This thread should be turned into a whore fest (moreso than it is already) The OP, his questions and replies are in need of transportation on a small blue bus.

Make it so bad it has to be locked. I dare ya. Pussies.

Snowman
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
I'm sure we can find you one of these...

http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/images/a_team_van.jpg

Horsman
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Spend it on cocaine and hookers. :D
I love it when I have a house full of hookers all tweaking at the same time (Paranoid Pussy thinking my Dog is an undercover DEA agent at 4 am on a School Night, that is a lot of fun:shocked:).

Dewwww it!!!!

Mental
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
http://www.evilengineering.com/gallery/d/30671-2/Van+007.JPG

$850. Hauls bikes, room to sleep in, chicks dig it, parents are afraid of it.

...and after 18 1/2 years in uniform, I also am going to mock you for thinking you have a bonus for training you haven't started. They install those completion bonuses for a reason. Becuase the training is unbearably challengeing and the percentage of those who complete it from all those that start is usually in the single digits.

..and yeah, spelling doesn't count onthe ASVAB, but operators are some of the smartest peaple in the military. They don't make excuses. To complete basic, you are really gonna need to look at your attention to detail. Moreso, you are gonna need thicker skin if you are getting wound up about a bunch of old guys teasing you for bragging about money you don't have yet.

..and be real, you don't care about our opionion, you are bragging. Someone else pionted it out, and you dodged it.

So don't tell me, and the others here that "you know." You don't know. I assure you, despite all the video games you have played, movies you seen, and Military Channel specials you DVR'd, you have no idea. Finally, if there is such a thing as an MOS that you can't talk about, do you really believe, or expect us to believe, you would know about it, having no clearence?

...and no, you don't have a clearence, and yes I do know that for a fact.

dirkterrell
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
http://fuse.superglue.se/pwned.jpg

Dirk

dirkterrell
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
http://temp-e.net/files/incoming/hoffa/pwned.jpg

Dirk

dirkterrell
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
http://bevan.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/pwned111za6.jpg

Dirk

Devaclis
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Funny/FAIL/chippenfail-fail-picture-funny-db7l.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Funny/FAIL/manstripper.jpg

Devaclis
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/97ruw5.jpg

kawasakirob
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/devaclis/Funny/FAIL/manstripper.jpg
What the hell is my girlfriend looking at under there?

derekm
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
The reason you're getting the advice you're getting about what to do with your $20k is that if you make bad financial decisions now they will haunt you for a long, long time. Many of us know this first hand and wish we would've gotten and/or taken the advice we're dishing out now when we had the chance.
very well put!

d3spair
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
http://jmn.fadainc.com/funnypics/failboat.jpg

Please, please don't buy an Evo.

303fizzer
Wed Jun 24th, 2009, 12:07 PM
i would like to hear what you guys think a good car is for 20 thhousand

Shit you can buy yourself a bad ass 4x4 for the winter for 5K max and its gonna be nice too than you still have all that bread for whatever;). . . . Another bike perhaps :]

303fizzer
Wed Jun 24th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Dammit I missed something thats for dam sure lol MENTALS just tearin a new one huh?

Filo
Wed Jun 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
$850. Hauls bikes, room to sleep in, chicks dig it, parents are afraid of it.

...and every time a child goes missing within a 20 mile radius of you, the cops will be knocking on your door asking you where you were and can you prove it. On the plus side... oh wait, there is no plus side.

Just picking on Mental's pimp-mobile. Nothing to see here.

Oooh, wait. I got it! I'll sell you the van in the picture for $10K! You will still have $10K left over to shag it out and everything. Full custom baby!

The Black Knight
Wed Jun 24th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I think asking advice from a forum on how to spend $20k is bad, just bad :)

chanke4252
Wed Jun 24th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I would buy a larger savings account.

TheStig
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Id take some twinkies and beer when you get it? I think 20k will cover that.

Seriously, buy something nice for cheap and save the rest. You will be glad you did.

Mental
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM
...and every time a child goes missing within a 20 mile radius of you, the cops will be knocking on your door asking you where you were and can you prove it. On the plus side... oh wait, there is no plus side.

Just picking on Mental's pimp-mobile. Nothing to see here.

Oooh, wait. I got it! I'll sell you the van in the picture for $10K! You will still have $10K left over to shag it out and everything. Full custom baby!

Oh no doubt. The problem is the kids are wising up to the "Free Candy" painted on the side, so i had to up my technique. The best part about my "Free hanna Montanna Concet Shuttle" van is that the boys that hop in are already pre-dispositioned to that kinda lifestyle.

Go ahead, wrestle with that little happy image

Tipys
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 02:14 PM
^^^^LMFAO

Ricky
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Please, please don't buy an Evo.

Why not? Come on, back that statement up with SOMETHING. Seems like all the Mitsu haters have nothing more to say than "Evos suck", or "Subarus are better". But never WHY.

Tipys
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Why not? Come on, back that statement up with SOMETHING. Seems like all the Mitsu haters have nothing more to say than "Evos suck", or "Subarus are better". But never WHY.

He owns an Evo so I don't think he is a Mit hater. I think he just doesn't like the idea of a poser owning the same car as him.

#1Townie
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 03:28 PM
fuck that 20gs?? your only 18 once take that shit to a strip club and help some poor girl go to collage!!!!! hahahaha!!!!

JohnEffinK
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, and take me and Townie.

I still have some free passes to PTs here in COS. That will save a few extra dollars for the college fund.

John

d3spair
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM

I own an EVO IX and it's my 3rd Mitsubishi. It's also my favorite car ever. I just don't want 'this' guy having one. And I hate slowbarus.

Happy? :hump:

#1Townie
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah, and take me and Townie.

I still have some free passes to PTs here in COS. That will save a few extra dollars for the college fund.

John
yeah but you have to 21 for that place..

hey im from nevada i used to wash the managers car for the moonlight bunny ranch.. you only have to be 18 to get laid:hump:.. we can get you drunk before hand..

Xtremjeepn
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM
This thread is hilarious.

The whole point of "investing" money is so that you can buy the things you want later in life, or at least continue the lifestyle you know today without having to work for it down the road. There has to be a goal for the investing.

There also needs to be a balance of having the things you want today.

If you can't afford to buy what you want today AND save for the future THEN you need to change what you are buying or the money you are making.

Everyone is throwing out all these suggestions without any real knowledge on the kids finanical situation, goals, etc.

I read all the posts and don't see any information about his real financial situation, his financial goals, his current car, what he wants for a car, nothing. All stuff that should be known before throwing out any suggestion.

For some 20k is a lot of money and too much to spend on a car. For others a 20K car is simply a beater that you would not want to be caught dead in. $20k will hardly get you to a nice new car IMHO. Maybe in a decent used one. All depends on the person and the type of car they want.

There is still a lot to learn at 20yrs old. Maybe if he buys a really nice car at 20, he might be driven to have nicer things in life and persue a more lucrative career.

My advice would be to spend the next 6 months test driving cars when ever you get the chance. Find one that you REALLY REALLY like and are unlikely to get rid of for many years. If you buy what you really want and are likely to keep, it will save you money in the long run. (provided it still matches your life style in 10 years).

Maybe you will find that a $5,000 Jeep is what you really want. Maybe it is a $20,000 car. Find what YOU want and matchs your needs.

Clovis
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I only read the first 2 pages so sorry if someone else has already said this.

Sounds like a military enlistment bonus... which is among the most retarded things I've heard of -- my brother in law, 19 -- just graduated from Army basic back in Feburary and recieved his signing bonus (roughly $20k I believe) and it was GONE within a month.

On What? Junk, he blew through a year and a half worth's of income in his case in the span of a month.

He bought a truck which promptly blew an o-ring and now wants my wife to co-sign so he can finance a new truck because he has no credit.. bought 4 guitars, a laptop at twice the price if he shopped around online, because.. you know, the girl at the store was cute and she sooo wanted him to buy it! (and finance it at 28% interest -- he bought it a few months before he got the bonus).

Anyhow -- invest it -- at a moderate rate of return of 10%, $20,000 will be over $32,000 in just 5 years.

In 5 years you can be ready to buy a house and even if you use your VA benefit ($0 down payment mortgage is the main) you'll need money for other home owner items or just continue to save it -- if this economy has taught people anything, it's that its nice to have a chunk of money set aside for the unexpected, like getting laid off or suffering a temporary loss of income.

-Clovis

kawasakirob
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 12:51 PM
buy some anal beeds

michaelawsome
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
really? anal beeds?? come on now.. this is fuckin stupid. forget the fact that i said i wanted a car. considering that people are saying to buy fuckin anal beeds. wow!!

Wintermute
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 02:12 PM
We're definitely no fun. A bunch of grumpy old men...

But we're right. To an extent.

Not being military, I'm assuming you get the money after basic, but before being deployed?

You're going to work your ass off for that money, so spend some of it. Instead of spending it on material shit you're going to hardly be able to use while you're deployed, like bikes and cars, spend a couple thou going somewhere cool for a week. Someplace like Amsterdam or Vegas. Get laid, get drunk.

Put the rest of it in the bank. Seriously, you're about to take a pretty hazardous job (it sounds like you want combat), and we still do a pretty shitty job of taking care of wounded vets. You might really need the money.

I'm sure you'll come through safe and sound, but it's the old saying "Hope for the best, but plan for the worst." If God forbid you get wounded, that money will be much better to help speed your recovery than having some blinged-out bike or car.

And in the most likely event that you pull through unscathed, there'll still be bikes and cars and bling to buy. However, you're going to be older, and things like bling might not matter that much any more.

#1Townie
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM
really? anal beeds?? come on now.. this is fuckin stupid. forget the fact that i said i wanted a car. considering that people are saying to buy fuckin anal beeds. wow!!

dude didnt say they were for your anus...:)

Jim_Vess
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 10:47 PM
You're only 18 - too young to appreciate all that cash.

My advice is to give it to me. I'll show my appreciation by blowing it on booze, drugs and prostitutes.

chanke4252
Fri Jun 26th, 2009, 11:33 PM
dude didnt say they were for your anus...:)

well done