PDA

View Full Version : 5 Motorcyclists dead today in Fort Collins area

BlueDog
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 12:00 AM
There were 2 accidents up here today that ended with three people dead. The first one I saw the aftermath of and it was pretty gruesome. Of course the story is written as it being the cyclists fault even though the side of the mini-van was so smashed that I don't think the cyclist had a chance to slow down.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20090619/UPDATES01/90619016/Motorcyclist+killed+in+Harmony+Road+wreck

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20090619/UPDATES01/90619020/Two+dead+in+motorcycle+wreck+near+Hughes+Stadium

I think two people also died in LaPorte but I believe they were riding a stolen sport bike so maybe karma caught them.

Anyways just another reminder, as if you needed more, to ride safe out there and watch out for everyone else.

mnfire
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Damn I rode by the one on Harmony today.... it couldn't have been but five minute after it happened...... Something to think about, Ride Safe everyone....

Think
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 01:11 AM
There's also a thread about this on the Northern CO section of the forums. Did you mean 3 people and not 5?

buzzardman36
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Man you people creep me out! Every time you post up the recent bike fatalities it forces me ( a 2nd yr rider) to re-evaluate owning such a dangerous machine. I figured it would be kind of an unspoken topic. Whew! That shit runs through my brain whenever I turn the key on my bike. Probably not good to ride all nervous and shit? But just so you all know. My 80 yr old grandfather has riden bikes all his life and has never layed one down. I prefer to reflect on that!:think:
Clay

co_gixxerguy
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Man you people creep me out! Every time you post up the recent bike fatalities it forces me ( a 2nd yr rider) to re-evaluate owning such a dangerous machine. I figured it would be kind of an unspoken topic. Whew! That shit runs through my brain whenever I turn the key on my bike. Probably not good to ride all nervous and shit? But just so you all know. My 80 yr old grandfather has riden bikes all his life and has never layed one down. I prefer to reflect on that!:think:
Clay

IMO if u ever swing a leg over your ride and u arent scared of it....or respect it...its time to sell it before u really get hurt. U have the right mindset :applause: :up:

BlueDog
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM
There's also a thread about this on the Northern CO section of the forums. Did you mean 3 people and not 5?

I mean 5, there were two in LaPorte, two by Hughes Stadium, and the one on Harmony. Unless I got the news stories mixed up and the Hughes stadium incident and the LaPorte incident were the same. But I dont think so as the one for the LaPorte riders clearly said 'in LaPorte, 8 miles out of fort collins'.

And the point isn't to scare you buzzard, its to remind you that you can never be too careful or too watchful when riding. If the guy on Harmony had maybe rolled off the throttle for a bit and just assumed that the lady in the van wasn't going to see him and just pull out, he may have been more able to react and things could have been different.

Zach929rr
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 09:28 AM
IMO if u ever swing a leg over your ride and u arent scared of it....or respect it...its time to sell it before u really get hurt. U have the right mindset :applause: :up:

I agree. You shouldn't necessarily fear your machine, but respect it.

Think
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I mean 5, there were two in LaPorte, two by Hughes Stadium, and the one on Harmony. Unless I got the news stories mixed up and the Hughes stadium incident and the LaPorte incident were the same. But I dont think so as the one for the LaPorte riders clearly said 'in LaPorte, 8 miles out of fort collins'.

And the point isn't to scare you buzzard, its to remind you that you can never be too careful or too watchful when riding. If the guy on Harmony had maybe rolled off the throttle for a bit and just assumed that the lady in the van wasn't going to see him and just pull out, he may have been more able to react and things could have been different.
Well from what I read on the other thread, the stolen bike was being ridden by the two people that wrecked near Hughes. Is there an article about the crash on LaPorte?

Troy.N
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
That' CO for you.
Every winter time 100's people dies from skiing/snowboard accidents.
Every summer time more than 100's dies from motorcycle accidents.

The best job in CO? Undertakers.

BeoBe
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 12:28 PM

exactly.. as soon as you think you got these bikes mastered is right when they will jump up and bite you in your ass

CYCLE_MONKEY
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
RIP riders, Godspeed to them.

Dysco
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 01:51 PM
RIP riders, Godspeed to them.
What the heck does Godspeed mean? How many HP does Godspeed add? Is Godspeed a bolt-on or drop-in mod or is some significant prep work required to install? Is Godspeed for the track only or is it street legal? Do I have to change the octane of my fuel or what? Will my stock gear ratio still work with Godspeed? Is there a FAQ on Godspeed?

(Holy shit, a totally inappropriate post from Dysco)

BlueDog
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Well from what I read on the other thread, the stolen bike was being ridden by the two people that wrecked near Hughes. Is there an article about the crash on LaPorte?

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=118046

County road 42 c runs by hughes stadium though so maybe I just got confused... I didnt think hughes was considered to be in laporte, or 8 miles north of fort collins though... so maybe 9 news got it wrong.

kawasakirob
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Vehicles who turn infront of a motorcycle should be convicted of manslaughter. If they can't see the bike infront of their goddamn eyes, they should not be driving. Homos

Skinbabe
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Damn. RIP Riders. I work claims in Fort Collins and LaPorte, I hope I dont have to see any of those bikes... that shit always ruins my day :(

BlueDog
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Today I rode past the spot where the accident occurred and it was pretty creepy. there was just a long black skid mark leading into the intersection and then just abruptly ending. The rode is so wide open there too, I don't know what the van driver was thinking.

BeoBe
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 04:40 PM
not sure who was at fault with the mini van, it is possible the mini van cut him off. but they said it was estimated the harley was runnin 75 in a 55. Which even if the van was at fault would make it harder to stop in time.

BigE
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Just got a call from my wife about the Harmnoy wreck. Turns out she knows the family. They will need all the prayers we can give, young mom with small little girl who is now fatherless, on father's day weekend no less. That is going to be a bad reminder for all time.

*OFFICIAL*RID3R*
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 05:57 PM
R.I.P...Prayers to them and their families!!!!

Raptor
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Just got a call from my wife about the Harmnoy wreck. Turns out she knows the family. They will need all the prayers we can give, young mom with small little girl who is now fatherless, on father's day weekend no less. That is going to be a bad reminder for all time.

:( God bless his family. That is incredibly sad.

Mommas and daddys (and everyone else of course), be careful and attentive out there! Our loved ones are counting on our awareness and common sense.

Think
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM
not sure who was at fault with the mini van, it is possible the mini van cut him off. but they said it was estimated the harley was runnin 75 in a 55. Which even if the van was at fault would make it harder to stop in time.
Yeah, but the estimation was by some random dude eating lunch near the intersection, not by someone in a car that was near the bike.

Think
Sat Jun 20th, 2009, 09:08 PM
http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=118046

County road 42 c runs by hughes stadium though so maybe I just got confused... I didnt think hughes was considered to be in laporte, or 8 miles north of fort collins though... so maybe 9 news got it wrong.
Yeah, I see what you mean. Hughes is just about due west of downtown, maybe even a little south. LaPorte is just about at the very north edge of downtown.

BlueDog
Sun Jun 21st, 2009, 12:12 AM
Yea, so I could have been wrong and if so my bad. But still, 3 deaths in one day is horrible.

I work at Best Buy and I see bikers in there all the time, I'm just kind of trying to think of a way that maybe I could set up a bike awareness night, raise awareness and maybe money for the purpose of raising awareness. I'm not sure, I just see so many people every day and think it would be a good place to help put the word out in a more personal way than just a random bumper sticker. Just need to see if management thinks so as well... Any good ideas of how to go about this?

rforsythe
Sun Jun 21st, 2009, 11:27 AM

Even if it was 55, Harley's aren't exactly performance machines, and they don't stop on a dime even when you know what you're doing.

Today I rode past the spot where the accident occurred and it was pretty creepy. there was just a long black skid mark leading into the intersection and then just abruptly ending. The rode is so wide open there too, I don't know what the van driver was thinking.

...and coupled with less than ideal braking technique (skidding, versus a controlled stop using all of the friction available) it won't end well. RIP rider, and if this concept has mystified any of you please go take an advanced riding course!

What the heck does Godspeed mean? How many HP does Godspeed add? Is Godspeed a bolt-on or drop-in mod or is some significant prep work required to install? Is Godspeed for the track only or is it street legal? Do I have to change the octane of my fuel or what? Will my stock gear ratio still work with Godspeed? Is there a FAQ on Godspeed?

I think it's at least 10HP, but it causes your bike to leak holy water so it won't pass tech.

honey
Sun Jun 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM
RIP riders! Condolences to each of the families.