PDA

View Full Version : Fear of I25 & US36.

Marc
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
I've been riding for about a month now. I have never ridden before and have just started to get comfortable commuting via Wadsworth Pkwy.

It would be a quicker to take I25 & US36, but those roads both frighten me. First and foremost the traffic behavior, secondly taking even the sweeping curves at higher speeds (50mph+).

I will continue to use Wads for the time being, but I would like to work on getting comfortable on roads like I25 & US36. I was hoping there might be words of wisdom available here.

I'm not sure it is significant, but I am riding a Suzuki SV650.

Thanks.

GuitarX
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
Hey Marc,

If you've only been riding a month, don't feel bad about being scared of riding certain roads - especially the major highways with all the brain dead cagers riding next to you. Fear is healthy. Stick to the roads you're comfortable with and keep practicing. Find roads where there is less traffic and get some miles and time under your belt.

Always ride defensively, as if everyone is out to kill you. That attitude will keep you aware of what everyone around you is doing and will save your ass. Knowing what's going on around you, both near and far, and being able to predict what other drivers will do is one of the most important skills you can master.

Have you taken the MSF course? If not, do it as soon as you can. It will teach you many good habits. As you become a better and better rider, keep educating yourself. Take the experienced rider course, take a track school that's geared towards street riders, read books, watch videos, etc. The more you know and the more you practice, the more comfortable you'll be in various traffic situations.

And most importantly, have fun!

By the way, you chose an excellent bike to learn on. Twins are "easier" to ride than 4 bangers. They have a more user-friendly torque curve. The SV in particular is a great little bike.

Ceez
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:11 AM
+1 with GuitarX...I have only been riding for six months. My second day on a bike, I was forced to take I25 from Thornton to Parker. I remember being in the slow lane and feeling like I must of been flying, but only going 55. Mini vans were passing me, it was horrible. But its just a matter of getting out there and getting over that fear. Never ride beyond your limits though and dont ever get discouraged. Once you get on the highway, just stay in the slow lane, people will pass you if they want to get around you. Dont panic while you are out there and stay relaxed when riding. If you get too unerved while on the highway for the first time, just get off on the next exit. Trust me, after you practice enough on the highways, you will be a used to them and then its on to learning the canyons!! Good luck out there and stay safe

BeoBe
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:17 AM
+1 with guitar. You dont wanna push yourself into doing something you fear while your on your bike too soon cause lets face it, Motorcycle + New Rider + Fear = bad news. Get use to riding the bike itself first and then worry about upping to another more busy road etc. These bikes get great gas mileage so i dont think a quicker route is a big problem right now.

Another thing i would suggest is trying to get in on the next noob ride if you can, it helps alot of people to ride with other riders and get use to the road. For me i always seen it as easier riding with someone else that isn't a dipshit but a respectful rider that will make you feel more comfortable while you ride. Once you feel comfortable on your bike you will soon realize it will be alot easier to do more thing.

Just be safe, alot of down riders already this year and we dont need anymore.

Just remember, ride your own ride :)

FZRguy
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:20 AM
Good advice Gx. Give a lower volume hwy like 285 west a try when you're ready. And unless you are entering or exiting, the right lane is not a good lane to hang out in on I-25 (esp where it is 3/4 lane wide).

racedk6
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:22 AM
On a day off or something, go ride that route at 2 in the mornring so you can get up to speed.

Honestly traffic on the freeway is as bad as traffic on the surface streets. Sometimes there is just a little bit more of it.

= Buckeye Jess =
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 01:31 AM
Hey Marc!
Glad to see ya finally joined us!!!
I agree with what everybody has said... just keep it to what you feel is an appropriate level for yourself and keep riding. The skills and confidence will build over time. Like I've told ya before, I know a great route for you - so just email me and we can work on some easy curves to get ya comfortable on 'em!

BHeth
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:04 AM
Once you get on the highway, just stay in the slow lane, people will pass you if they want to get around you.

That's a pretty dangerous plan.

If you aren't ready for the highway, stay off it. Keep doing what you are doing and wait until you are more confident.

Ceez
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:07 AM
Just going off of what I did. I guess I am more of a...you are never gonna learn until you do it type of guy.

BHeth
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:17 AM
Just going off of what I did. I guess I am more of a...you are never gonna learn until you do it type of guy.

No offense intended. I just feel the right lane is the most heinous spot you can be on the interstate. People coming on the highway, people going off, people realizing at the last minute they need to cut across three lanes and exit. There is just a lot more for your brain to process, and for a noob that could mean overload. Everyone is different.

Ceez
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:21 AM
No worries, no offense taken, I totally hear what you are saying and you bring up a valid point. Thats the great thing about these forums...its all about everyone trying to help each other out!!

asp_125
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Find a Sunday morning, or some low-volume time on the weekend. Get onto I-25 and ride for one or two exits, before turning off. Get used to how easily the SV will get up to speed. Get comfortable with filtering in traffic and changing lanes. Get comfortable with cagers merging on and off at ramps. If you spend any time on the slab, that's the worst areas as folks WILL try to merge into you or cut you off. Pretty soon you'll be able to ride it with the best of em.

Even though I can do it when I have to, I still try to avoid I-25 during the peak of rush hours, and I've been riding 7 years now.

MetaLord 9
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:51 AM
These guys all have valid points!

Take your time & enjoy your time on the bike on the way to & from work. Once you start taking the highway, it'll become more of a commute and less of a ride. We've all been scared of the highway, just like you and eventually we were forced to get over it and you'll get there too. What will help are the following:

- Stay off of the highway until you feel ready for it. Make sure you're comfortable riding the bike & operating all the controls at speed so that if you have to make a quick correction, your muscle memory remembers that the brake is on the right side and the shifter's on the left.

- When you're ready, it wouldn't hurt to have a couple experienced riders with you in front & back of you to kind form a bubble around you & keep complete idiots from blundering into you.

- No matter what, always ride within your limits. If you're riding at 100% of your abilities and something comes up in the road or falls off the back of a truck or whatever and you're riding at 100%, there's no margin of error left & no extra skills to spare to get your butt out of the jam. Ride comfortably, but feel free to push your comfort level every once in awhile too, it'll make you a better rider!

Good luck!

Ricky
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:14 AM
I spent a good 2-3 weeks riding surface streets to work before I started taking the highway.

Did you take the MSF class? If not, you should get in there. A lot of what you learn in there will prepare you for all those situations.

Sweeping curves at 50+? :lol: It takes time, but now I only fear sweeping curves at 120+.

Good luck! Practice makes perfect

Troy.N
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Just grab the front brake as HARD as you can, After that you'll be a Pro.

Ricky
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Another tip. I always ride very close to the lane lines to stay in the mirror view of both lanes. This also gives you a VERY clear view of all the cars in front of you. If traffic comes to a quick stop, you're already in a good spot to not get rear ended, and be able to split between cars if you can't stop quickly enough.

Devaclis
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
Marc, you are already riding on a pretty busy road. The thing that may be getting to you is the sensation of speed. It is normal. Get some certified instruction, find a GOOD group of SAFE riders to ride around with and progress at your own pace. You can't learn everything by yourself. Having good people to help you is a great boon and will get your confidence and skill level up at a rate you can handle. If you want, I can meet you and take you out for some nice tame rides and possibly help you out.

Troy.N
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Yeah Marc go ride with DK74..... I heard had a good time with a NOOB last weekend.

InlineSIX24
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
It's not worth it until your ready. There is too much to think about with the controls and watching the cars around you to be out there until your comfortable.

TFOGGuys
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Good advice everyone!

That being said, the Interstate may be one of the safer places to ride, as the traffic is mostly going in the same direction most of the time. Be aware of other people's blind spots, and stay out of them. Look where you want to go, because you'll go where you look. I find that normally, riding a little faster than prevailing traffic speed is safer than being slower. Learn to use the bike's strengths (size, acceleration, and agility) to your advantage to avoid possible hazards. Take some rides with experienced riders that have the patience and ability to help teach you. If you can learn to anticipate the movements of the cars around you, you dramatically reduce the chances of a collision. Watch for body language(did the guy on the cell check his mirror, but not turn to look out his window? :wtf:), vehicle movement, traffic ahead (Brake lights?). Work on expanding your awareness, using your peripheral vision.

Crap... I sound like a Zen master... :banghead:

http://kungfu-guide.com/img_wb/462001111510823po.jpg

Anywho.... I've been riding for 25 years, and managed to survive and learn some of these things....still learning with every ride :up:

Devaclis
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
^^ Good advice "Almost everyone"

Troy can go pilot an Air France jet from Brazil with his comments.

Squisha
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Just grab the front brake as HARD as you can, After that you'll be a Pro.

Oh, yeah, Marc, when you're on this forum...don't forget the salt! :yes:

Lots and lots of salt.

Marc
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks to all for the advice.

I took the ABATE course before getting on any bike. I'm also all armored up.

I did try 36 & 25 from Sheridan to 20th last night around 11pm. A wanker in a pickup felt the need to tail gate me for a few miles. (He had a "Bad Guy" decal on the back window.)

The sweeping turn off from 36 to 25 is still unsure for me -- I could feel the bike drifting left. I think I'll keep chipping away, and look forward to the next noob ride.

Thanks again.

BeoBe
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
another option is get out of denver for a weekend and go up north and ride.. its alot less traffic and crap and you can get use to riding a little bit easier.. I wouldn't want to be learning how to ride for the first time in denver.. I have riden for years and still dont care to ride in denver

nwatkins
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
go into a parking lot and practice making turns and exagerating how far you look through turns. You will be amazed at how much the head helps and will smooth out the turn. You basically want to be looking past the exit of the turn. Practice and practice. Use parking lots. This should help with the sweepers.

buzzardman36
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Maybe the best way to get over doing 75 mph is find a nice stretch of road and throw it up to 140 or 150 mph and do some lane changing, braking, tuck, stand, etc... then when you come back down to highway speeds, everything feels like a breeze. LOL worked for me. Maybe take two or three valiume before attempting this because it rattles the nerves a bit.

Troy.N
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
^^ Good advice "Almost everyone"

Troy can go pilot an Air France jet from Brazil with his comments.

LMAO.

Ricky
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
The sweeping turn off from 36 to 25 is still unsure for me -- I could feel the bike drifting left. I think I'll keep chipping away, and look forward to the next noob ride.

Thanks again.

That's a tough corner, but it sounds like you may not be leaning enough, or shifting your weight correctly. Don't let your body lean left if you're turning right.

Etherimos
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I agree with everyone that it just takes time, and the MSF class really helps. I took it when I first started riding and they teach you a lot of fundamentals that will help you when riding (Lane position, turning, etc.)

I have only been riding for 3 years, and I still have a ton to learn, but I do ride I25 every day to and from work. I find that the key to riding on I25/36 or any road is to be completely aware of everything around you. You have to be paying attention to every car on the road (Front, sides, and rear). I also make sure that I position myself where the cars next to me can see me (just slightly ahead of the car, and if that isn't possible, i slow down and ride slightly behind them so that if they do cut in my lane I am not in their path). Ride defensively, I always treat every car as if they don't see me.

It may also help to get with someone that isn't overly agressive in their riding to go out for a ride with you. Ride at your own pace.

DFab
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
I was nervous about my first trip down I25 as well. I decided that the far left lane was my best bet. Just ride the same speed as the person in front of you, and you don't have to worry as much about breaking and merging cars.

FZRguy
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
Like Jim said about riding a little faster than the flow of traffic....not aggressive but assertive. Traffic moves in clumps separated by “non-clumps.” Find a non-clump if possible, and never follow a load.

chanke4252
Thu Jul 2nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
I know a few people who are still afraid of I25 after years of riding. I think I25 especially is worth avoiding if you can, especially the stretch from the north metro area through littleton.

gsxrguy5
Fri Aug 21st, 2009, 10:03 AM
I would suggest getting out to IMI some weekend. It's a pretty relaxed environment and the more comfortable you get leaning the bike there, the less likely you are to panic in a higher speed corner if more lean angle is required than what you are currently comfortable with. Most importantly, just like others have said, take your time and ride within your limits. The bike is capable of a lot more than you think, so take your time and build your skill up. You'll be a better rider for it.

Matty
Fri Aug 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
I know a few people who are still afraid of I25 after years of riding. I think I25 especially is worth avoiding if you can, especially the stretch from the north metro area through littleton.
I-25 ain't shit.

go ride the 405 freeway, in either direction, in Los Angeles between the 101 freeway and LAX and then come talk to me.

Zach929rr
Fri Aug 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM
Zommmmbie thread

Also, I25 isn't shit, as previously stated.

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM
I-25 ain't shit.

go ride the 405 freeway, in either direction, in Los Angeles between the 101 freeway and LAX and then come talk to me.
Or 95, 495, & 14th street in DC...