PDA

View Full Version : Water as Coolant in Winter?

SixnChange
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hey, some of you racer guys, do you leave water in your bikes over the winter? We cant have antifreeze, so I'm deciding what to do come late fall when temperatures are below freezing. I keep the bike in the garage, but I might just drain the water out.. Anyone else have a solution to this?

eg bter
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Dont do it...unless you like buying new engines. It will be fine with nothing in it for the winter.

Matt
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
I add antifreeze in the fall, then flush the cooling system in the spring.

TFOGGuys
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Hey, some of you racer guys, do you leave water in your bikes over the winter? We cant have antifreeze, so I'm deciding what to do come late fall when temperatures are below freezing. I keep the bike in the garage, but I might just drain the water out.. Anyone else have a solution to this?

Given that I have an 06 R1 in the shop right now that froze last winter(in a garage!) and cracked a cylinder, I gotta say either add the correct amount of antifreeze in October, or drain it dry and take out the battery(so you don't forget there's no coolant).

DevilsTonic
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Dont do it...unless you like buying new engines. It will be fine with nothing in it for the winter.

I add antifreeze in the fall, then flush the cooling system in the spring.+1 Player 2 and 200sr20 left water in their bikes over the winter and Player 2 didn't get so lucky come spring.

SixnChange
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Right on, thanks guys! Intuition from living here all my life says no water in winter lol.

Sully
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Here is another thread posted earlier this year about it. :)

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30358&highlight=coolant

swademaster
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Given that I have an 06 R1 in the shop right now that froze last winter(in a garage!) and cracked a cylinder).

Nice job, Princess.:rolleyes:

eklew
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
I leave water all year round but I also leave a bottle of water near the bike to let me know if it will freeze or not. For the 4 years I have lived in CO, it did not freeze in the garage. I guess if you are not sure about it, change it back to antifreeze.

nwatkins
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
I leave water all year round but I also leave a bottle of water near the bike to let me know if it will freeze or not. For the 4 years I have lived in CO, it did not freeze in the garage. I guess if you are not sure about it, change it back to antifreeze.

Eldon it takes what 5 minutes to drain it???? Why chance it?

eklew
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Because I am lazy!!! Also it takes two seconds to read my sig to spell my name right and yet you chose not to even do that!!! just messin with ya man.

Aracheon
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM

He is so smrt.

Tipys
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
+Player 2, Tipys and 200sr20 left water in their bikes over the winter and Player 2 and Tipys didn't get so lucky come spring.

Fixed that for ya.

Ya I forgot to pull my bike inside in April and snowed the next day while I was in Denver.

Ya Drain it its easy.

Gainer
Mon Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
:imwithstupid:
Just drain it!!! Last time I checked.... nothing, and or any type of coolant are cheaper than a new motor..

Unless you are really into supporting local businesses like TFOGG. I am sure Jim would be happy to help you out next spring. :)

Player 2
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:05 AM
:roll:

He is so smrt.
:321:

DavidofColorado
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:57 AM
Why wouldn't you use antifreeze? Its not like it has another job to do. Why would you not use antifreeze in a place that will freeze anything if left alone during winter that includes a blazer with antifreeze?

Bueller
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Why wouldn't you use antifreeze? Its not like it has another job to do. Why would you not use antifreeze in a place that will freeze anything if left alone during winter that includes a blazer with antifreeze?
Track requirement

nwatkins
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:29 AM
The pain was my RV this last spring. I would use the RV thinking there were no more storms, then another would come and I would have re winterize it again. I was happy with the bike and just unbolt a plug and let it drain.

rybo
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
The pain was my RV this last spring. I would use the RV thinking there were no more storms, then another would come and I would have re winterize it again. I was happy with the bike and just unbolt a plug and let it drain.

Even this isn't 100% foolproof. There are a number of water passages in an engine that do not fully drain when you just pull the plug. While it's a lot better than leaving a motor full of water when it's freezing out, it is still possible to incur damage to your bike in the wintertime when you THINK you've drained the engine.

Zach929rr
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
While on this topic, does ANYONE have a method of draining the cylinders and the water pump without making a gigantic mess?

nwatkins
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Even this isn't 100% foolproof. There are a number of water passages in an engine that do not fully drain when you just pull the plug. While it's a lot better than leaving a motor full of water when it's freezing out, it is still possible to incur damage to your bike in the wintertime when you THINK you've drained the engine.

What is the plan then Scott? Drain it then add some antifreeze?

rybo
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:39 AM
What is the plan then Scott? Drain it then add some antifreeze?

Pretty much the best plan going. Add antifreeze, run engine to operating temperature to assure the thermostat opens, store bike.

While it's messy, I've never had any trouble just draining and refilling at the beginning and end of summer for the trackbike.

ZiaThunder
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
I just moved mine into the living room for the winter.....

I thought it looked great in front of the fish tank. The cats, liked it too. It gave them some where to sit and look at the tank without getting a kink in their necks.

DavidofColorado
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Track requirement

Oh, thanks.

I just moved mine into the living room for the winter.....

I thought it looked great in front of the fish tank. The cats, liked it too. It gave them some where to sit and look at the tank without getting a kink in their necks.
Best idea yet. If you don't want to fill it will antifreeze.

McVaaahhh
Tue Jun 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
I've done it a number of times on many different bikes without making much of a mess at all.

Step 1: remove fairing(s)
Step 2: Remove a lower hose, like right off the water pump (don't forget to place a mop bucket or other "catch" under there.)
Step 3: Replace hose
Step 4: Top with coolant
Step 5: Burp lines (squeezing some of the rubber hoses gets "some" of the air out of the system)
Step 6: top with coolant
Step 7: Fill overflow container past the low mark
Step 9: Replace fairing(s)
Step 10: Start bike and get up to operating temperature (Read, go for a ride)
Step 11: After the bike cools check your level and add more if needed
*It's not necessary to flush with coolant. It's ok if there is some water in the system you just need to get it to open the thermostat so things start flowing and mixing together.

Repeat in the summer, but you'll need to cycle it several times to get all of the anti-freeze/coolant out. I run 2 full gallons of distilled water through the system on my R6 before filling with water + water wetter and calling it good for the season. BTW distilled water is under $1/gallon.

FYI, just because the temp is going to get below freezing on a given night does not mean you need to panic and worry about it. The temperature will need to stay below freezing for a day or two to do any serious damage. The best practice is to just replace with coolant after your last track day. :up: