PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question - Remote Desktop Issue

InlineSIX24
Wed Jun 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
One of the machines here at work started acting up. This is running apps in Win Server '03 Enterprise through remote desktop from a XP machine. When typing something if you try to capitalize a letter at the beginning of a word it caps the second character instead. If you hold down shift for a second or so before or use caps lock for the key it works like it is supposed to.
Locally typing into a doc works fine and running remote to another server shows no issue, so it sounds like something with that specific server..?

Violator
Wed Jun 24th, 2009, 05:18 PM
all of workstations (XP) having this issue or just specific one? Its seems like network performance / protocol issue delays in data chains. I would check NET environment first run some network utils to check pipe loss on all channels, then check Remote Desktop options for settings try to lower screen resolution to reduce traffic....

longrider
Wed Jun 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I have never encountered that issue but it does sound like something with that server is not recognizing the shift immediately? Can you get to the server and try typing something locally?

Violator
Wed Jun 24th, 2009, 05:27 PM
InlineSIX24 : Locally typing into a doc works fine and running remote to another server shows no issue....

Ricky
Wed Jun 24th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Holy crap... I've never seen that kind of issue before. What sort of connection are we talking about? What's in between the two as far as NET goes. Any VPN going on? What about from some other kind of machine, say, 2000/Vista?

chanke4252
Wed Jun 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Do you have your antivirus exceptions set correctly? Are all the proper ports open on the appropriate network hardware? Have you checked the latency between the two computers for the rdp related packets? Check to see what connections are open on the computer that you see the problems w/.

It sounds like a network performance issue to me more than anything.

InlineSIX24
Thu Jun 25th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks all. Sounds like our IT guy finally got it. He had to reallocate some memory I believe and ran a utility on the local machine and seems to have fixed it. Strange issue for sure.